MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Over size Tank
Reply #120 - 02/15/17 at 08:48:19

You know what ...

We could make a whole trip out of checking out different camp-sites .

I've got 4 or 5 of those military style cots and they sleep really good.   Getting up off the ground is not as easy as it used to be .  If you don't have one , I could bring an extra for ya.

That lake picture has a lot of tent areas on it .  You've been doing your homework !   Wink    
We've been ridding that area for 10 years and still finding more to do  ...  Roll Eyes

I just looked at the Santeetlah lake  link   ...  Cool

OK , now I'm really chomping at the bit !   Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #121 - 02/15/17 at 09:12:01

There is a small area along the side of the 28 just south of the Deals Gap Resort....it is on the lake side just as the road starts to flatten out and go along the edge of the water - and I have seen folks camping in that area.  It has a short access road about 100 feet long, and I have ridden down it on the bike - but it is a bit to rugged for taking my Pontiac Vibe and my trailer down it.  I had considered parking/sleeping there one night when I arrived very late - but I stayed in the parking lot at Deals Gap instead.

I believe this area is available on a "first come" basis....you can't reserve it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #122 - 02/15/17 at 11:26:49

Got some new info, click on it to view it.    

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/robbinsville/north-carolina/united-state...

.... might want to reconsider that March date as it is only 37 degrees at night.  

Got another time span out there MM ??      I guess there is a good reason that the main campgrounds don't open until April something.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #123 - 02/15/17 at 18:42:52

Wink      Moderators, if you see something is wrong or is being missed in the shuffle, reach in and fix it -- that's what you got them long fingers for.

THESE EVENTS ARE IN PLANNING AND DISCUSSION -- THE CONCRETE HAS NOT SET COMPLETELY YET ....     I am still plugging in names as people show interest, this gives us a tool for seeing who is going were plus the folks who are going can start the refinement process on dates and activities.

So far we got the following in the rough order of doing them.   Adding something is easy, talk it up some, put a date to it and we will see if folks are interested by if they sign up for it.

Santeetlah Lake Exploratory Trip   Last two weeks of April   Oldfeller and MM wanted to go relocate some classic blackline trips and check out some new camping places

Youzguyz Twisted Sisters trip          Mid to Late April      NEED FIRM DATES      Youzguyz,  Springman,  Lancer

Lancer Oklahoma trip    May 22-27   Lancer,  Kenny G,  MM,  Springman,  Verslagen

Indian Paintbrush Campground in Ty Denver  June  NEED FIRM DATES   Verslagen,  Springman,  old.indian,  Lancer

Kickstand Lodge   June 13-18    Dave,  Oldfeller,  MM,  Stewmills,  RaleighGuy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZGNOB5m5Ro&t=166s
http://kickstandlodge.com/rates.html
From here it is a short hop up to the Dragon, and to all the really neat surrounding roads we love to ride.    For East Coast beginners, this is one of the closest (and the BEST) Southeastern trip possible.   Some have argued the area is the BEST BIKING IN AMERICA and I might have to agree with them.  

Undefined East Coast July slot           July 15-16    

This is an empty time slot looking for a neat event to center upon.   Several have been proposed, but not much in the way of takers.   Will be reviewed again in March in hopes of a really neat idea cropping up.

MM's farm     Sept 8, 9 & 10    MM,  Oldfeller,  Dave,  Lancer

And here is a tool to use in locating some no cost camping when travelling to get to the rides:

https://freecampsites.net

« Last Edit: 02/16/17 at 00:31:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #124 - 02/15/17 at 20:08:25

OldFeller , do you recond anybody else want to  go to the Santeetlah lake adventure.

I have the last two weeks of April not taken up yet , but I don't have permission yet either !  Grin    How about we see what works out good for you and whoever else want to go then I'll ask "permission" .

Do you have a cot ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #125 - 02/16/17 at 00:39:03

No, I carry an air bed and an inflator I can run off the bike.    Moving to the end of April gets us into more decent 44o night time temps, not warm mind you but doable.

We need for other folks to talk some so we can make appropriate plans.

Otherwise, all we need (you and I) is an agreed upon day and exact meeting place and target time.   I am 8 hours from home by fastest path, 10 if I go by scenic routes.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 02/18/17 at 16:04:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #126 - 02/16/17 at 07:57:28

According to Google Map , I'm only 5 hours away from Santeetlah lake , don't know why it takes me 6 hrs. to get to the Dragon.  

So  you  " OK "  on an air mattress ?   I have a hard time getting up out of them but they do sleep good .    Might depend on how many times a night ya have to get up ....  Roll Eyes     The cot offer still stands if ya change your mind.

I was reading the "reviews" on google map/directions , how  have we missed this place all this time  .  

Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #127 - 02/16/17 at 12:21:13

I'm kinda interested in the whole lake complex -- for a federal facility they seem to have their heads on straight as far as having 3 managed campgrounds, five (5) Ranger Stations and still having all those dozens of free "open to the first taker" camping places that we have been spotting on already.

I am curious as to if it is "by the person" or "by the tent space" at the three full service campgrounds?   We could make us some cost advantage using a big tent if it is by the tent space.   I also want to know if there is a shower at one of the payme campgrounds in the complex.   Yes, see below.

So, are we proposing April 23, 24, 26 ???   Or some other combo of days that can include somebody else ???    Dave would prefer something starting on Weds if he were going to go.

I found another free site with a toilet facility.   It is actually on the Cherohola Skyway side of Santeetlah Lake.  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/horseriding-camping/recarea/...

I also see mention of 2 cabins that you can put up to six people into each at a cost of $35 per cabin a night.  That is dirt cheap compared to where we have been staying.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/cheoah-point-cabin-2/r/campgroundDetails.d...     YES, there is an open to all campers shower facility 150 feet from Cabin #1 and Cabin #2.   You can book this place on line, makes it easy to do.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/horseriding-camping/recarea/...     Here is another map that shows the town with a satellite shot.

Costs     FREE PRIMITIVE campsites, Campground based tent sites $15 per night first come first serve; $20 per night for RV sites; $35 per night for cabins that hold six (plus a tent on the gravel fire pad if you need overflow).

Next, there is a tiny little town actually out in the lake that is named Santeetlah, apparently it was a town in the area before the lake was filled in and wound up with water on three sides out on a peninsula.   It is still a tiny incorporated town made up mostly of rich people's lake homes that is showing up on the map above.

Yes, we can spend some time poking around and find a range from free to cheap and we may actually maybe find someplace worth calling "home base" for a group run.

(Dave is going to want to go now, as he is deeply suspicious of "free to nearly free", but he won't turn down a decent place with a shower and a roof over his head -- just no barking dogs, please)

I bet these two cabin places gets booked up a year in advance on the summer weekends.   Weekdays, not so likely.    Roll Eyes

Cabin #2 - there is room for an additional small tent if you want but it can not be set up on the grass (only within the gravel pad). So it does make the eating area a bit cramped. Nice view of the lake but a longer walk to your car and the bathroom.    I also see a fire pit and firewood .....

« Last Edit: 02/16/17 at 19:16:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #128 - 02/16/17 at 18:05:33

I am not likely to be able to make an April trip.....the June to Kickstand, and Sept. to MM's is probably all I will have time for - Gary_in_NJ and I may make a weekend meeting in PA for a Cafe' bike outing so we can compare notes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #129 - 02/16/17 at 19:03:26

I like the way you think OldFeller !  Wink

I guess I can wait till the last of April.   Sad    But ... I'm not promising not to slip over there for a Day-Ride under the " guise" of visiting my brother (Kent) who lives just a few miles south of Robbinsville.    Roll Eyes

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #130 - 02/16/17 at 19:14:58

By all means, go visit Brother Kent.   I'd do it just to go get the lay of the land if I were you.

Keep us all appraised of what you find, good or bad.

=======================================

I checked up on the Santeetlah cabins and they are very basic 2 room cabins with a large bed frame in one room and four bunk beds in the other room.   No power at all except overhead lights.   Power is out by the patio area (for cooking) and to cut down on risk of fire.

Due to the influx of the Mexican bedbug which has swept through all of NC at this time, all the bedding has been removed completely from the cabins, leaving wooden bed frames still in place. 

You have to bring your own blankets and air mattress.

I am afraid this is likely going to be the way of it going forward, since any campground that provides mattresses, bedding and pillows will likely get hit with complaints or lawsuits if people's homes got bedbugged after a trip to the campground.   This is still a risk, even when camping in your own tent as bedbugs are mobile and like to hide in sleeping bags and blankets.

i.e.     you might as well tent for free and plan to wash your stuff upon returning.

« Last Edit: 02/18/17 at 16:00:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #131 - 02/21/17 at 07:28:11

OK, both bikes are officially "finished" tagged, etc. etc.

Here is the Savage with both tanks fulled completely up and both tanks set to "ON" such that they flow equalized to a joint level.   This was an "at risk test" to see what would happen if I "did the stupid" to it.

I can rest easy, there was not leakage or spillage found while "doing the stupid" as will eventually happen even to the best of us.  

What is neat is the main tank shut off tap or the rear tank shut off tap, either one, stops all fuel movement between the tanks.

So even if I only have half a brain that day, I will likely still be good to go.

« Last Edit: 02/21/17 at 09:07:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20170221_090504458_HDR.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #132 - 02/21/17 at 07:36:56

OK, got the Barcalounger windshield sorted, it is as high as it can go, wind blow by is minimized and I can either lay back (mild wind edge churn at speed) or I can tilt forward some and get totally into the calm air pocket.   I wore my half helmet during this testing as that is as "wind sensitive" as I ever get.

Next, with both gas tanks installed I still have half a saddle bag worth of empty space in each bag.   This is a lot of room to me as what is left in the hard bags is as big as my Savage saddlebags ever were, space-wise.

Note the pic below, the tent and the chair both hide very nicely over the installation rods that mount the hard bags.   I can actually store some extra items (like a plastic drop cloth or a entry ground tarp) inside the tent bag  wrapped around the tent as I have room to make it a bit "fatter".

« Last Edit: 02/21/17 at 09:08:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20170221_090220725_HDR.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #133 - 02/21/17 at 07:42:08

This is where I will carry my sleeping bag and my air bed and pillow, all wrapped up together in a cushioned roll up.

Note the tops of the hard bags and the top of the sissy seat are co-equal, so with everything loaded up I get a fairly nice air drag package.   The wind deflection bows out from the  windshield and comes back together brushing the sides of the sleeping bag and the saddle bags as it flows back into itself.

This mocks up my standard long distance tent camping load out.

IMG_20170221_090316042.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #134 - 02/21/17 at 07:45:09

BARCALOUNGER level comfort, it was the goal word for this bike.

Comfort on long hauls was the intent, and I think I pretty much got there.

IMG_20170221_090415522.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 15:54:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Over size Tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.