Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Over size Tank
Reply #105 - 02/13/17 at 14:28:33

I found one of the reasons I was able to buy the bike so cheaply -- it was showing all the signs of a "sometimes no charging voltage" type problem.

You'll like this, I dug into the wiring harness "big rubber tube" area under the seat looking for the connector to the voltage regulator rectifier -- and it wasn't there.

The Stealership mechanic had moved it to the area below where it should have been according to the shop manual, and it was tucked in tightly between several other components to keep it lightly touching the mating plug electrical halves together in a light edge contact mode.  

But but the male and female plug halves were NOT even completely seated together, much less having the plug halves 100% seated and firmly snapped/locked together.  

It had to be intentional, too much attention was spent in setting it up just so .....  the sporadic issue would seem to spontaneously appear due to the halves separating due to vibration, starting to show "no charging" symptoms months and months after the servicing was long done.

A quick spritz of contact cleaner and working a little bit of fine wet or dry paper into the female connector halves to clean up the arc blackening, a little clean up on the tips of the male connectors, then some more contact cleaner to wash away any residues, then pushing it firmly together 100% all the way until the connectors firmly clicked together and Vola !!!  ----  full charger function was restored at 13.34 to 13.54 volts ongoing, nice and steady at all RPMs.

Stealerships, you jest gotta love 'em.

« Last Edit: 02/14/17 at 13:23:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #106 - 02/13/17 at 17:42:38

That's the EXACT reason why we caution newbies to NOT go to their local dealership for service work! Good job Oldfeller!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #107 - 02/13/17 at 21:21:56

Sounds like you got your self a nice young Lady there !    She kinda looks all dressed up and ready to go to the ball  dragon .  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #108 - 02/14/17 at 10:52:09

MM, can you imagine the mess I'd make if I went a dragging those big bags around the turns ????    

Plus, she'd be a real handful up in the mountains, to be sure.

Bought this for a voltage output gauge and a set of cell phone charging ports, this way I can see if my charging voltage gets flaky on me while riding.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #109 - 02/14/17 at 11:31:07

I remember ToyMaker went from a Savage to a 800cc class Kawasaki and rode it on a Dragon trip once.   Was it Parson's curve or Swift Corner that he got "NIPPED" and forced to donate a part to the Dragon's Tree ?  That would be mile 4.0 or 4.3 on the map.

Your might be right about leaving the big-boys+girls home when its time for a Dragon run.   I'm not so com-fey slinging the Sportster through those short twistiest either.  

I think I'm beginning to CHOMP at the bit a little !!   Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #110 - 02/14/17 at 11:42:52

At a moderate pace the ST1100 did fine on the Dragon - but when pushed hard it really scrubbed a lot of rubber off the tires.
(But it sure was a fun bike on the Cherohala Skyway).

The Savage and Ninja 250 do fine when hustled through the Dragon. Smiley

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #111 - 02/14/17 at 11:50:05

MM, you got March April and most of May yet to go.    All our bikes are done, what ARE we going to do until the ride dates arrive in late May ???

The Robbinsville free camping spot by the lake just up from Simple Life is still there as a halfway point to your house. 

Republicans are still thrashing about with no fully jelled replacement plan yet and Obamacare has flat gotten ASTRONOMICAL in price now (unless you are dirt poor, in which case it is just about free).   As soon as the mandate to force you to have medical insurance goes away medical insurance will jump in price yet again.   So, I gotta keep on working, but that doesn't say I can't use my vacation totally up each year.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #112 - 02/14/17 at 11:59:25

I can't think of any large areas left to explore since we went into Georgia last spring.   Campgrounds that are worth having have boiled down to Kickstand and Blue Ridge.   What is left to investigate?

Yes Dave, I fondly remember that cluster group of crotch rockets that blew past us on the Cherohala Skyway and that they acted so surprised when you jest didn't stay blown away at all .....   I remember the amazed looks on their faces when I pulled into the overlook area where all you guys had all stopped together.

Toymaker rode the Kawachunky to the Dragon more than once and donated more than once and his last donation was somewhat sizable in scope (which caused the wifey foot to come down as we never never saw him again).  

My Barcalounger isn't super chunky, but she isn't exactly small either.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #113 - 02/14/17 at 12:44:00

I've got the last week of March still open ?   Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #114 - 02/14/17 at 13:04:14

So we are talking March 25, 26, 27 to try to do a little something.   But what?  

We are going to Kickstand for real later on in the year and Dave does not care for rough camping, the lack of nightly showers, no food, etc.

If we stayed at the lake free-site up from of Robbinsville, you and I could go and "borrow" an occasional shower from the up the hill Dragon Lodge shower station and eat at Robbinsville.

We could have us a little excursion and prove out the free camping areas.   We could test our our "modified" bikes out in the only real way possible that doesn't involve putting a many-person bigger trip at risk.  

Roll Eyes

And I could learn if the Barcalounger really can provide enough "body comfort" for an old warfrin rat like me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #115 - 02/14/17 at 13:44:41

Yea buddy , the 25 th. through the 31 st.

I was thinking just two nights at the Dragon campground .   That would be a whole day in the area , and two traveling days.  

If the Weather is Good I'd like to find Lancer's Curvy road and take a picture from the top.   I'm not to good with going down the back side of it again though !  Grin
You remember where the map was that Lancer saw it on ?

If the weather is not to good we can call it off at the last minute ...  Wink

April 8th. is my first ride on the calendar so far , but there are always day rides till then.   Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #116 - 02/14/17 at 13:53:49

Lancer spotted it on the big topographical map at Blue Ridge Campground lounge as a tiny black line going over a mountain peak.   That was in our first few exploratory stays at Blue Ridge.  That venerable topographical map got the paint rubbed off the tips of the mountains by many many many little fingers long since then and that little black line detailing simply isn't there any more (we looked, Lancer and I a trip or so back).

There is a supersized flat topographical map at Simple Life campground, too, hanging off the outside of the showers building.   If we look, I bet we can find it there.

Let's see if Lancer remembers what is was near, seems like we hit a little town right after going down the gravel road from the mountain top.

That was all done way pre-Dave, so it would all be new places to him.   This harkens back to the good old days of going black-lining for a day or so before the newbies showed up at the Dragon Lodge.

(We have always tried not to get any newbies hurt if we could avoid it)

=====================================

Pure rough arsed adventure camping ideas .....   You know the little forest service road that comes off the Dragon proper a little bit up from the state line?   Find a clearing big enough to turn the bikes around and rough camp there.

Pure bad boy camping .... and a little bit scary to think of at that ..... that fairy ring on the other side of the tunnel at the end of the Road to Nowhere.   We could have a conversation with the Dragon when he came home that night to sleep, or else mebbe jest have a little snack together with the bears ....

Undecided

Remember that remote observation deck we took the pictures of Jeb on?   Sleeping bags under a tarp held up by the railing.   We could stay up and watch the Dragon sail by on his way to bed.   String some noise maker bells on a string across the walkway as a bear alert.

Roll Eyes

There are a multitude of rough camping fire ring areas in the mowed grass next to the lake on the far side of the Dragon.  

Grin

Jest how adventurous do you feel?    

"Two nights" could be Monday, March 27th and Tuesday the 28th allowing me to take a leisurely full travel up day on Sunday the 26th.

We could stay at the Dragon, or at Kickstand, or stay here for free.   Need to check on the opening dates on those pay me places.

https://freecampsites.net/#!7369&query=sitedetails

« Last Edit: 02/14/17 at 18:55:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #117 - 02/14/17 at 19:08:00

I found a lot more stuff on the free campsites around Santeetlah lake and a brand new source for information -- MiniVanCamper.tumblr.com     Click here to see all the sites on the lake and which are better situated for bikers and which ones have LESS ROAD NOISE.

http://minivancamper.tumblr.com/post/67190584526/lake-santeetlah-north-caroli...

We could camp off to either side, but close to this little edifice .....  Lord knows we have had to walk further than this to hit the head lots of times.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #118 - 02/14/17 at 20:47:16

Wow buddy !   Huh

I'm game if you are .   Lets try not to get in trouble with the Bears.  

I've got a motion detector(outside) with an alarm (inside) I like to put next to my head when I'm in a tent .   Perhaps , I should get three more of them for all Four side protection.      

You going to feel safe about sleeping ... or ... are we going to take turns on watch ?  
How about :   Lets go ride by the lake and view what available.    Then if it looks safe pitch camp.  

Funny , but I don't even think twice about sleeping around a bunch of wild Bikers , but the thought of a little Bear makes me iff-ey !  Roll Eyes

Fact is :   I didn't feel safe on the other side of that "Road-to-Nowhere" tunnel , even in broad day-light.   I don't think I could sleep there unless there was twenty of us with a fire going .  Huh

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #119 - 02/15/17 at 00:13:46

It was a naturally eerie sort of place, wasn't it?

A lone chipmunk doing a death-squeal while attacking your front tire on the ride in kinda clued you up about it, didn't it?

So no bears and no dragon holes for this trip.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:35:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Over size Tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.