Bang For The Buck (Read 2024 times)
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Bang For The Buck
02/12/16 at 12:00:51

Quite a few riders are always looking to "up grade" their rides and that seems to always equate to quite a bit of $$$ and a new/bigger motorcycle.   I'm being different and saving $$ by tweaking the S40.   Given that I bought "The Thumper" in 12/15 with 3,984 miles on the clock for $1,800 complete with OEM windshield, luggage rack and set of soft saddlebags.              Since then I've re-jeted, installed a K&N, EMCO (Dunstal style) muffler and Michelin Commander ll s (140/90-15 rear) as well as a raptor petcock . To date I've turned another 3,500+ miles on the clock, including the 900 mile round trip to Jerome, AZ .   This year I've added a Corbin (Thanks Dave) and a set of 4"FCs (thanks Marketplace). A couple hundred miles shake down run this past
Tuesday and I feel that I can run 500+/- miles of back roads a day in comfort.      I've already pulled the trigger for a stage 3 cam from Lancer (to be matched with some ports work by a local machinist). As well as a cam chain adjuster and head plugs from Verslagen (Preventive maintaince while I have it on the bench.)        
Cool Given that I am comfortable at 60 MPH on backroads (and avoid Interstates if at all possible).        When everything is said and done, I'll have invested a total of (roughly) $4,000, and have a motorcycle that  is as good, if not better, as any costing three to five times as much.    Cool Cool

« Last Edit: 02/13/16 at 16:28:44 by old.indian »  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Bang For The Buck
Reply #1 - 02/12/16 at 18:11:28

Haha! A true fan!  Smiley

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/13/16 at 02:49:06

Yep, the Savage can be a good bargain in motorcycles if you buy one used and spend money on upgrades wisely.  Glad you found a good one and are racking up the miles. Smiley

Buying a worn out one really cheaply might not be the best bargain if it needs major engine work.....so be careful to find one that needs little or no engine work.  My recent Rescue Bike project only had 3,800 miles on it and it needed a cam and rockers, and a Versy head plug to fix the oil leak.....luckily I had some good used ones.  If the engine has damage to the cylinder head- it can be very expensive to get a replacement head/cam/rockers.

And getting used saddlebags, windshields, seats, etc. from the Marketplace on this forum can help.  When folks buy bikes to make Bobbers or Cafe's bikes they sell the stuff they don't need at really good prices.....sometimes just enough to cover shipping,

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 02/13/16 at 07:49:57

true, the real reason I swapped mine for the Swing was as a credit building move, I could have easily and much more cheaply upgraded the S40, and probably have been happier
maybe I should swapped it for a newer one, and financed that
oh well, S wing is a better highway machine, and I ride highway a lot now,
six years (or less) and it's paid for and I have a shiny new credit history

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/13/16 at 07:59:38

Old Indian,

It would be nice to see pics of the Dunstall muffler and maybe you could share some installation tips.

Kenny G

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #5 - 02/14/16 at 07:48:22

No pictures yet.  Embarrassed   
Note:  While it is on the bench for the stage 3, head work, cam chain adjuster, and head plugs. I decided to hone the jug and sneak in a 94mm Wiseco piston.      
 At this rate I should probably install a sound system and announce my pending arrival by blasting Wagner's "Ride of The Valkyries"          Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/14/16 at 08:23:11

DOOO EEEET!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #7 - 02/14/16 at 10:40:19

Da  dat da da, Da dat da da!   FINE!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 02/14/16 at 13:30:19

You find some peyote on those back roads chief ?  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #9 - 02/17/16 at 18:51:12

After some squinting and head scratching, I'll be looking at the near vicinity of 40 HP at the rear wheel on a bike, rider, and kit of 575 pounds after I'm done.    Cool
Now if I can sneak out of the house and putt the backroads to Pennsylvania this summer with out the wife putting out a contract on me.  Undecided      

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 02/17/16 at 20:25:17

putt the backroads to Pennsylvania this summer

Whats in Pennsylvania ?  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #11 - 02/17/16 at 20:31:55

This summer I plan on getting to Steamtown in Scranton. Large Steam RR museum.  You might not like riding across Pa thou, NO straight roads! He, he.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #12 - 02/17/16 at 21:01:09

If you like railroads visit the Strasburg Train Museum in Strasburg, PA.

http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/

Take the ride on a steam train from Strasburg to Paradise, and visit Intercourse, PA while you are there.

Kenny G

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #13 - 02/17/16 at 21:35:33

MMRanch wrote on 02/17/16 at 20:25:17:
putt the backroads to Pennsylvania this summer

Whats in Pennsylvania ?  

My daughter's family moved to rural Pennsylvania last year and the Four Stroke Single Cylinder Club (FSSNOC) is holding a meet near by in June.     A side trip to #1 stepson near Ashville would include a ride on the Blue Ridge etc.   Cool        Great senic riding, a chance to visit my granddaughter and  annoy my son-in-law, good company with other old riders, great food (at #1 stepson's)...... How many more reasons do I need ? Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #14 - 02/17/16 at 21:45:50

Kenny, I heard about Paradise watching ''Amish Mafia''.  I'll keep my eyes open.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 11:39:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bang For The Buck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.