LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Sporty test // REX
02/23/17 at 07:21:57

Took  my sportster to a local shop with a Dyno yesterday for a Baseline run, the BEFORE run.
My local shop is just 55 miles away...oh yea, but it was a nice ride each way with shirt sleeve weather for a change.

Here is the result.

The transfer of the graphs for a printout copy-scan-photo program-savage site, leaves a little to be desired but you can see them.

Top graph shows torque on top and HP on bottom.
Peak torque 77.91 @ 4350 rpm & peak HP 72.34 @ 5520
Notice how the torque curve follows the same basic shape as the fuel/air mix curves.  As the fuel/air mix goes rich (about 11:1) the torque curve drops.

Middle graph shows #1 cylinder (front) fuel air mixtures at rpm along the graph.

Bottom graph shows #2 cylinder (rear) fuel air mixtures at rpm along the graph.

The fuel/air mixtures on both cylinders show a lean area (15:1 & 16:1)  coming off idle (2100-2600) and then dipping into a rich area (2600-3600) and from then on to max rpm they stayed very close to the red dotted line which is considered ideal at 13.4:1.  The operator, Sam, said it was close to a sportster with fuel injection.  He said this was much better than the vast majority of sportster that he sees.  
Sam and his brothers and mother (Lucy) own & run K&N Motorcycles in Sapulpua, OK.  The shop was started by their father who was one of the two original creators of K&N.  This shop is the oldest Yamaha shop in the US, they started selling Yamaha's in 1958.  One of their tech's was named #1 Yamaha tech in the US a few years ago.  I like this place.
The extra lines on the graphs that start at the end of each graph and trail back about half way are just the computer/printer effect after the engine reached the rpm at which the engine cut off occurred, so they are not part of the actual run.

NOTE from website:

K&N Engineering Inc

K&N Engineering Inc. was founded in 1955 by good friends Kenny Johnson and Norm McDonald. The two friends were very involved in motorcycles and were constantly trying to improve the sport. The goal of starting K&N Engineering was to serve the motorcycle, automotive, and high-performance street markets, with a revolutionary new product they had originally developed for Team K&N Racing. This revolutionary new product was a unique high-flow, washable and reusable air filter. The newly developed "Filtercharger" became a success with racers, creating a high demand for this incredible product!

Before they knew it, Kenny and Norm with full time air filter manufacturers, on top of running 6 motorcycle shops, an insurance agency, and a bar. As time progressed, they expanded the K&N Engineering line of products, this included purchasing a chrome plating shop and a tube bending machine to build race handlebars and other accessories, which soon expanded into a full line of bars for all motorcycles! Today, you can find K&N air filters at almost every type of race event going on all over the world, accompanied by many winner's circle appearances.

In 1971, Norm decided to focus more on the retail end of the motorcycle business, and moved to Tulsa, OK along with his wife Lucy and their 4 children, Phil, Terry, Pat, and Sam. Kenny continued the K&N Engineering side of the business in Riverside, CA, where the business is still located today! While the size of the business has grown, from a two man operation in Norm's garage, to a 700 employee operation working out of a 300,000 square ft. building, the tradition, quality, and reputation of the K&N Engineering line of products continues the legacy that legends Kenny Johnson and Norm McDonald started.

K&N Motorcycles is a proud carrier of the K&N Engineering line of products!

« Last Edit: 03/19/17 at 13:20:36 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Sporty test
Reply #1 - 02/23/17 at 10:10:07

That was the before , what are the plans for the after test ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 02/23/17 at 12:46:57

Ruttly wrote on 02/23/17 at 10:10:07:
That was the before , what are the plans for the after test ?

38mm VM with UFO, DAJ, quad wing & and a secret thing or maybe two.
Just want to find out what the increase is with the carb swap, and if so then I will put the Kit up for sale on the XL forum.
There are a lot more sporty's out there than there are LS50's.  
Maybe a few more
 $$$    Smiley Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/23/17 at 16:38:37

Drag multiplies at a squared rate as speed increases.
Overcoming that drag requires cubic money.

efore they knew it, Kenny and Norm with full time air filter manufacturers, on top of running 6 motorcycle shops, an insurance agency, and a bar.

If you're doing all That, you NEED a bar.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 02/23/17 at 17:03:38

Lancer , what year Sporty ya got ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 02/24/17 at 03:07:46

MMRanch wrote on 02/23/17 at 17:03:38:
Lancer , what year Sporty ya got ?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 02/24/17 at 06:25:12

Lancer

I've got a 2007 )fuel injected) and wish it was an 05 (carb.)  , I had a 04-1200 that had the carb. and it used less fuel  and was "Tune-able" .
I've been cruising ebay for a 04-06 883 but havent found the right one yet  .
Here is my 07 - 883

0217171700b.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 02/24/17 at 10:54:32

MM your first problem is your exhaust, the two shorty pipes do your engine no favors.  A good 2-1 exhaust will do wonders for your torque curve.  I have a Danmoto 2-1 stainless exhaust that only costs about $350 and it works and sounds really freaking great.  The quality is excellent too.
It a direct bolt on.
Take a look at them.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 02/24/17 at 16:06:25

I read your numbers and thought "A SAVAGE!?!?!?!?"  Shocked

Nope. A Sportster. Ya had me going for a sec!  Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 02/24/17 at 17:19:55

So  you're happy with the Danmoto? I was thinking about it for my Monster but had read a bunch of stuff about them being crazy loud, even with db killer. Maybe its worth another look, they're certainly affordable enough.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 02/24/17 at 18:27:16

gizzo wrote on 02/24/17 at 17:19:55:
So  you're happy with the Danmoto? I was thinking about it for my Monster but had read a bunch of stuff about them being crazy loud, even with db killer. Maybe its worth another look, they're certainly affordable enough.

I find the muffler on the Danmoto to be very moderate in sound level, and it is a good clean sound, not harsh or raspy, and quite mellow.  I really like the sound all the way through the range.  When you get to the upper end of the range it is WAILING !  IT SOUNDS GREAT !
I will try to get a recording.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 02/24/17 at 22:05:55

Thanks for the tip .  

If it had more "ummph " to it , I'd be hitting the vehicle in front of me instead of passing it !    Grin

I made my own baffles .  Wink    ,   They are just a little louder than stock .

This is the one you got :   http://www.jpcycles.com/product/832-797

« Last Edit: 02/25/17 at 22:09:21 by MMRanch »  

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/26/17 at 15:37:32

MMRanch wrote on 02/24/17 at 22:05:55:
Thanks for the tip .  

If it had more "ummph " to it , I'd be hitting the vehicle in front of me instead of passing it !    Grin

I made my own baffles .  Wink    ,   They are just a little louder than stock .

This is the one you got :   http://www.jpcycles.com/product/832-797

I thought I had posted on this before but apparently it did not make it.  
Yes, this the same exhaust I have, the only difference is the price is less now.  $279 is a great deal.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 02/26/17 at 16:30:11

Yes the scavenging effect with a 2 into 1 exhaust gives much better performance and I love the way it sounds in comparison to the standard Harley dual pipes! I'm curious of your projects results so please post them.
I'm liking the fact the we are posting on our other projects as well as our Savages. It shows our diversity and keeps things interesting !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 02/26/17 at 17:48:26

Ruttly wrote on 02/26/17 at 16:30:11:
Yes the scavenging effect with a 2 into 1 exhaust gives much better performance and I love the way it sounds in comparison to the standard Harley dual pipes! I'm curious of your projects results so please post them.
I'm liking the fact the we are posting on our other projects as well as our Savages. It shows our diversity and keeps things interesting !

Two projects going right now, trying to work out the "Basic wiring" on REX, which is not easy for someone who is electrically challenged, and a carb swap for the sporty.  When done it is back to the Dyno for both.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 01:56:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › Sporty test // REX

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.