MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Over size Tank
01/02/17 at 18:58:46

Well guys ,

That oversize (4.75 gal.) tank is just made all wrong on the bottom.  I'd have to do some "Frame Whittling" to make it fit.   I'm not referring to just cutting off the tank nubs .  The back-bone forks to soon.  and the petcock is to far forward to boot .  

Back to the drawing board !  Roll Eyes

1004161920a_001.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Over size Tank
Reply #1 - 01/03/17 at 10:49:18

Mike, that sounds downright disappointing.    Undecided

Sorry you are having issues with your new tank and your framework.      Sad

=================================================

Today my shipment of 3 cheap Chinese "T" fittings finally arrived from the Christmas Container Sargasso Sea Black Hole Entanglement of SLOWNESS and I can start making final progress on my auxiliary tank plumbing on my Savage.

All I had to do was cut into the rubber fuel line and put the "T" in and connect to the auxiliary gas tank and valve in the back.    Not more than an hours worth of fiddle work even counting making a trip to the gas station for some gas to top it all up.

I filled up the main tank and then let it back flush through the new system to see where equilibrium was between the two tanks.   Back tank goes completely full when main tank drops down 3-4 inches from a full condition.  

Use method can be simple, fill both tanks up, turn the main one on and run that one until about half empty then turn the back one on too and then let the "total gas left" equilibrium show visibly in the clear tank on the back.    The two tanks join just below the main tank level then go through the large pleated paper fuel filter and then the line drops to go down to the carburetor.

When you run both tanks dry, you still got a standard reserve in the main tank.

Yes, if I get totally stupid I can make a mess with gas flowing on to the ground.   I can do this by asking a full main tank to backfill downhill to the smaller back tank.*

Rather than guessing, it would be easier to just run the main tank for about 60-80 miles then turn them both on and just look to see what you got left.

Because of the self-balancing equilibrium you always have 2x the gas showing in the back tank, plus about a 15-20 mile reserve amount in the main tank.

*If I fitted a 2.6 gallon jug similar to what I use in the Barcalounger it would not overflow as the top of the taller jug would be more equal to the top of the main tank.    Total capacity would be right at 5 gallons.   It would all be "top heavy weight" though ..... not really good for mountain handling.

ALSO NOTE THE DOUBLE WRAP OF MILK JUG PLASTIC "PROTECTION" AS THE FUEL LINE RUBS UP AGAINST A SHARP EDGED PIECE OF AIR SYSTEM CLAMP.

« Last Edit: 01/03/17 at 19:14:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Copy_of_IMG_20170103_162739462.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/03/17 at 14:54:19

.... then you run to the back of the bike and go under the saddle bag strap ....

IMG_20170103_162710836.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 01/03/17 at 14:56:36

..... and when you come out from the saddle bag strap you do this with a cheap plastic shut off valve ....

What is neat is there is no high spot in this system that builds up an air lock as the back and forth between the tanks keeps the main line flushed free of any air build up.  

Trash in the tanks is trapped and held by the large pleated paper fuel filter, which keeps that 'ol debble    "dirty carburetor problems"    at bay.
« Last Edit: 01/03/17 at 18:51:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20170103_162359626_HDR.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 01/03/17 at 19:15:22

I just made an offer on ebay for a GZ250 tank .   They are about a gallon larger.   They also look just like a Savage tank from the bottom.   Wink

Seem weird that Suzuki would put more tank on a 250 than a 650 ???  Huh

I'm betting the price of another tank it will work just fine.   The 4.75 "Chopper-Tank" I've got  might get used on a Harley if I ever swap my 2007 for a 04-06 Carb. model , if the Carb model comes with a peanut tank.   I'm "OK" with the injected model for now but would trade it for a Carb of equal value .

Anyway , there is always the bottle in the saddle bag trick !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 01/03/17 at 19:18:48

Keep us posted on how easy the swap is!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 01/03/17 at 19:22:09

I just did some checking...

s-l1600_004.jpg

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 01/03/17 at 19:33:54

I've seen the 2.5 gal tanks made for luggage racks , but my rack is already busy with a trunk.

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #8 - 01/03/17 at 19:52:25

Mike, The 4.5 gal tank you saw on my bike last summer is off a 04' or 05' Yamaha V Star 650. There is all kinds of room under it, but it is A LOT wider and about 3" longer making you move the seat back and most likley up too. I think Smokin Blue just cut his seat back when he did his wife's bike. But I looked at that and there wasn't enough room for me. A tight seat fit might be fine for a small person, or short rides, but,,,,, you and I don't know what a SHORT RIDE is.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #9 - 01/03/17 at 20:02:42

Feller,

I often thought that if I ever take a long trip again I would go for an axillary tank mounted behind the drivers seat and set it up so it would be a snap to take it off after returning home.

I like the idea of a separate tank like you are showing rather than a huge main tank the may be uncomfortable for riding 8 hours at a time.

Kenny G   Undecided

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 01/03/17 at 20:12:31

, you and I don't know what a SHORT RIDE is.    

I'm glad you joined in .

I'll look at the yahama tank , 4.5 gal is good !  Wink   I remember your looking good !

I haven't bought the Suzuki tank yet , just made a low ball offer on it.  Wink

Yea !   How many miles did you roll up last year ?   Roll Eyes

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #11 - 01/03/17 at 20:37:28

Mike, I totaled up just over 22k last year. But I must admit a couple thousand was on my old PC800. A long weekend trip to Richmond and back ALL INTERSTATE was just more suited to that than the Thumper.
On the bright side of that trip was meeting a bunch of family at my aunt's 99th birthday party. I had to show my cousin on his trike to my other cousin's house, and he said he couldn't follow a Honda, I said "That's OK Bob, I'll drive slow!"
He bought that Harley new in 11', put the trike kit on it in 13', when I saw him in Sept. he had 93k on it!! Now that he is retired he just won't stay home! He's been to the 4 corners of the country, the 4 corners, and summer of 15' he went from Buffalo to Alaska and back! And hates Interstates, just wants to ride on 2 lane roads whenever he can.
Now I like 2 lanes, BUT, sometimes I want to get there quick. I am mulling the Pikes Peak Hillclimb this year. 26 or 27 hundred miles each way in May needs a little advance planning.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 01/03/17 at 21:05:02

I'd like to do the Pikes-Peak thing too !  Seem to me that a long ride is safer with company , that's a big part of "why" I ain't done it yet.     

You could  make one of your stops at my place in  Tn. , you can have the spare room .  From North Fl. I think its about 600 miles to my place in Southern Middle Tn.  
If I can swing it I'd like to ride with ya .   I think my "Long-Legged Sportster" will keep up just fine , but I don't care much for the wind after 75 or so.  

Fact is ... Versey is thinking of ridding in that area this summer.   Maybe we could meet-up some where ?

I think Lancer's place is about 600 miles from my place , he might let us camp in his yard for a night if we ask right nice ?  Roll Eyes

Wow , maybe we should post this in the "Ride Planing" thread ?

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 01/04/17 at 08:28:47

Well , the low-ball offer worked !  Roll Eyes

Sometimes it does ...  Smiley

So $32.59 + SH.  for an extra .6 gal (30 miles on my bike and habits) , and the dash moves up to the triple tree .  Cool

O-yea : I get to paint to suit myself.

new_tank.jpg

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #14 - 01/04/17 at 08:38:06

Should look good and give you a solid 150 miles. Mount some LEDs up high where you can see them for the blinkers. Having them down on the tank was just a BAD idea.
The rattle can clear coat melts when gas hits it, you'll need automotive clear coat. And maybe a dragon sticker on the side.
Or maybe a dragon slayer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 01:58:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Over size Tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.