Over size Tank (Read 1937 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Over size Tank
Reply #90 - 02/09/17 at 18:50:57

OldFeller , you may be set-up for a trip to Alaska , as in driving through Canada  !    Cool

I took a ride with the new to me tank today , did 12 Km going to town and back .   I put the GPS on so I could compare the new speedometer to GPS speed.   It works just like I thought it would :
25 km = 15 mph
50 km = 30 mph
75 km = 45 mph
90 km = 55 mph ish
100 km = 60 mph
and so on ,
Speedometer goes to 160 km

0209171427.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #91 - 02/09/17 at 20:58:29

MM,

Do you have a loop in the cable to use up the extra 4" of cable?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #92 - 02/10/17 at 05:32:21

My GZ 250 tank arrived ( no key) and I tried the cap off my VL800 (Volusia) tank- it fits perfectly, so there is an option.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #93 - 02/10/17 at 05:48:16

MM , that tank looks great , good job !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #94 - 02/10/17 at 06:43:31

The tac.cable worked just fine for a speedometer cable.   My cap has only one of the "keepers" now.   It was pot-metal and broken when I got it.  I guess the previous owner pried the top off .  

Blade ,  If you can pick the lock just once , then you can drill the tumblers out from the bottom and then any key will open it from the top.   That is what I did --- but --- one of those keeper tabs was already broke.

I might have to buy another cap or make a new "keeper tab" ???
Its kinda works with only one tab now .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 02/10/17 at 19:29:33

Well, got the Barcalounger all insured and taxed and tagged.   Found my first year's inspection sticker came with the new plate (no inspection required for the first year), so I was good to proceed with running the auxiliary fuel lines.    So I made some progress, enough progress to finish it up this weekend and take for a run in jaunt or two, weather permitting.

Need to test out the balance of the thing when fully loaded up with gas, compared to a Savage it will weigh 60 pounds or so more with the aux tanks all filled up.    I also need to see if the bags sag any under the load during garage storage.

I found it un-amusing that the license guys wanted 15% of the value of the bike in fees and plate charges, that seemed a bit much to me.    It is a good thing they take a charge card now-a-days .....

« Last Edit: 02/11/17 at 14:19:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #96 - 02/10/17 at 21:02:11

OldFeller , I hope those big charges are only a one time thing , you might have to move to Tn.  Grin

I still owe ya dinner next time we go somewheres , if it makes ya feel a little better about all those bucks going out so easy .   Roll Eyes

Hay , I saved myself some $$$ (35.oo of them) today I re-built my broken gas cap this morning .   It opens with any key now so I don't have to ADD more weight to my key ring .  Wink  

The metal tab was gone and the plastic was broke ,  Thats Marine JB Weld ... I hope it holds ... if not there will be an aluminum plate (circle) or a steel washer with solder to fill in the broken plastic on it by time ya see it in person  Smiley

0210172253.jpg

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 02/12/17 at 15:35:18

Ok, I finished installing all the plumbing and took the bike out for the first spin in the new configuration.

Gas station first, filled the steel main tank to the top and yes indeedy it would back flush all the way to the jugs with no issues.   Put in a half a jug of gas into each side and watched them nasty air bubbles back flush out of the system just as pretty as you could please.   Then cut the taps all off and filled up all the jugs/tank completely and then I turned on just one jug and pulled out and rode off onto the new interstate bypass for some steady high speed testing to see if I was going to be getting enough gas at speed (no stumbling or surging) off of just one jug.  

Ran like a Swiss watch ..... quiet and smooth.   Nary a stumble or hiccup.

The system will run fine off of one jug just dandy.   This can be from either jug as selected independently (the cut offs are even with my wallet pockets and are easy to find and manipulate while riding).

The system will run off of both jugs at the same time just fine, pulling half the gas flow from each jug while permitting the two jugs to settle out into a common equilibrium point as gravity naturally wishes them to do.

And yes, when a jug empties out and finally sucks big air with no gasoline to it and the engine finally does stumble then that is your signal to flip on the main tank which allows about a gallon and a half of gas to flow back down into each jug, thoroughly purging all the various little air pockets as it goes along, naturally.

Now you have 150+ miles more range to go find you some gas.    Just fill up the jugs and tank when you get there, no need to purge anything as it is already cleaned out.

Neat thing is the fuel pump really doesn't seem to care where the gas came from nor does it care about pumping entrapped air bubbles, it just pumps the entrapped air right along with the gas into the float bowl, where gravity separation occurs naturally.  Entrapped air goes up and out the bowl vent tubes, gasoline goes down into the float bowl until the float level rises up enough to shut off the flow.  

There is more than enough fuel pump power to pump lots of "bubbled up gasoline" --- far more gas volume can be moved than is needed to power the engine in any case.    

I am going to simply ignore purging any more fuel lines and see if this system really works out to be as trouble free as I suspect that it might indeed be.

There are no slosh sounds from the saddlebags.   No noise at all, actually.

Bike's balance left to right is even and normal, the big bags only cause me mild trouble when swinging a toe over the width of the bags when mounting.   I have to start the leg lift a lot earlier and hold it a lot longer as I got some real width to deal with now.  

I am going to practice putting left foot on left footpeg, leaning forward and swinging right leg out and up from that relatively elevated mounting position.

=======================================

The big windshield isn't adjusted worth a crap and it was simply installed too low by the stealership.   Work on the windshield starts tomorrow with getting it raised up some and get it angled some more to cut down on side and back turbulence.

Power delivery is funny, it doesn't feel like torque based power at all as each cylinder is an overbore condition 83mm  by a 74.4mm stroke --- so it acts more like a performance engine at heart.   This means each gear gets a quick BRRRR and you are knocking along about a hundred mph just about as quick as you can click through the gears.

There is a rev limiter on the bike, so you can get some clean top RPM cut-off sensations in each gear and you can easily know when it is time to shift should you be mucking about some in the lower gears.  

I haven't found any kind of lugging action yet, this may be a benefit function of running two 400cc cylinders running off of separate offset "anti-vibration tuned" crank pins.

So, so far so good --- the Barcalounger project is working out as planned.  

Remaining issues are WINDSHIELD ADJUSTMENT and SEAT TUNING.

« Last Edit: 02/13/17 at 09:30:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #98 - 02/12/17 at 17:20:10

I hope you will soon be able to give us a full photo show,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #99 - 02/12/17 at 21:02:00

OldFeller , you are going to make your Savage Jealous.   Grin

Looking forward to seeing it in person soon !  Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #100 - 02/13/17 at 07:50:51

OK, Justin -- snapshots  

Even with the Air Hawk seat I can still flatfoot the pavement at a stop sign.   Bags are set back far enough that I never touch them with butt or legs while riding.

This side view also clearly shows that if the main steel gas tank is over half full it can back flush easily all the way back to the jugs cleaning any and all air out of the system.
« Last Edit: 02/13/17 at 13:54:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20170213_102037973.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #101 - 02/13/17 at 07:52:43

The generous windshield that is mounted too low ....

IMG_20170213_101436252.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #102 - 02/13/17 at 07:53:50

This shows the on-off taps just outboard of my wallet pockets --- easy to find while riding.

IMG_20170213_101944037.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #103 - 02/13/17 at 08:00:32

OK, this is a reveal shot of the loaded gas jugs showing connections, etc.

IMG_20170213_102136780_HDR.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #104 - 02/13/17 at 08:53:56

MMRanch wrote on 02/12/17 at 21:02:00:
OldFeller , you are going to make your Savage Jealous.   Grin

That is not very likely ......

My fully erect Suzuki Savage is obviously a rather large MALE motorcycle.  My large twin jugged slim waisted Suzuki Intruder is obviously a very pretty and very well equipped female motorcycle.  

Why would my Savage be jealous of his girl friend?   He is beginning to understand some things about dealing with females though, as she has taken over his trickle charger and is asking him questions about his cell phone mount.  

He's taken, he belongs to her .... but he just doesn't realize it yet.    Problem is that apart from the Dragon area he'll never keep up with her in the mating rituals.   She's too quick and her long legs and rather generous fuel capacity make sure he'll never ever be able to catch her (unless she simply wants him to).

Still no little litter of mini-bikes, but there is lots of time yet this winter.

« Last Edit: 02/13/17 at 14:16:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 17:37:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Over size Tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.