Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Over size Tank
Reply #60 - 01/24/17 at 21:14:48

Thanks Dave  Smiley

If it is , I might just loose it sometime   Wink

Last spring in TX.  my decompression thing quit working for a while , well I've still got the factory engine and it still started just fine.  Fact is I liked it better without all that noise of getting the engine moving before the first compression stroke.   I suspected that other box being the timer for the starting system  , but I'm only guessing ???   Does it even have a timer ??  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 01/24/17 at 22:05:48

yep, side stand relay.  I don't know why it needs a relay, my foot kicks it up and down.

the decomp controller is over the carb.  You can pull that off, just jump the center wire nearest the hook to the bottom right connector so it'll start when you push the button.  and make yourself a decomp lever in case it ever gets stuck.  beast always gets stuck.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #62 - 01/25/17 at 07:55:31

Versey  Cool

and make yourself a decomp lever in case it ever gets stuck.  beast always gets stuck.

Shocked

That is a good idea !  I'll check on a hand operated lever device .  If -- I can leave the top chrome things on and have a back-up compression plan too I'll do it.

Versey , if I find I can do without it just fine , then BEAST'EY more-than-wellcome to my take-off .  I can see where Beast needs a compression release !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #63 - 01/25/17 at 13:06:03

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/20/17 at 10:23:14:
All I know, is that the factory tank is too small.  It seems like I am having to fill it all the time!

Sounds like something I might attempt in the future. Chop the backbone, raise it to clear a new 5-6 gal tank. Get ahold of frank at frank's forks, and put one big daddy sissy bar for a single old_rider Smiley Chopper this thing out !

Kinda like this fella off of facebook...

Girder_setup_for_savage_front_end.jpg

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #64 - 01/25/17 at 14:22:45

Yea , Old Rider you need one of them !  Grin

Actually , put some mud flaps and a front brake on that thing and I'd like to take a spin on it !  Cool

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #65 - 01/27/17 at 11:02:58

Since my Savage is done, I started fiddling with the Barcalounger some.    Barcalounger = Suzuki VS 800 and the tricks shown here also apply to most of the Intruder line, including the 1400s.

First things first, it HAS to look good and be functional.  The Savage is an old Granny bike and can look like what it is.   I wanted the Barcalounger to be prettier, to be actually worth washing and polishing on occasion.    

So the mount points are polished aluminum,  made from  aluminum 1" round stock and plated hex stock.
« Last Edit: 03/27/17 at 19:54:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20170127_134807445.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 01/27/17 at 11:11:01

The bag mount is polished aluminum, mounted with stainless steel fasteners and plated washers.    I am debating painting the inside surface of the bags gloss black, to match the rest of the bike.    I think some "wood protection" is also in order here .....

That would carry on the black w/silver accents used elsewhere on the bike.

IMG_20170127_135444183.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #67 - 01/27/17 at 11:16:47

Here is a close up of the inside, viewing the seating of the flat washers as they mate the beveled machine screws on a "rim mount" type set up.    Practically flush, but very strong and able to clamp up a large area surface.    Remember, the wood is glued to the hard bag's inner surface, so it makes up a more rigorous stress carrying assembly.

IMG_20170127_135426749.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #68 - 01/27/17 at 15:48:23

Yep,  wood preservative , then some good enamel.  

I'm glad you got yourself a Second bike 😀

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 01/27/17 at 17:50:37

Yeah, Wood Preservative -- that's the first coat of black enamel that kinda sorta soaks completely down into the dry wood and looks all streaky before you even get to the other side.   The next coat stays a lot thicker ... but you have to let the first two coats dry good first and then lightly sand it with fine sandpaper to take off the raised whiskers from the first coat.  

Or as the old shop teacher used to say -- you gotta fill and block the pores in the wood so the final coat can make a even surface as it sets up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #70 - 01/29/17 at 12:55:03

Well, it don't look too bad at all ......   the black paint actually matched up to the plastic pretty well.

IMG_20170129_155058244.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #71 - 01/29/17 at 20:26:35

Hay !

That looks perty good  !  

Will be glad to see it in person some day !  Wink

-----------------------------

I put the first coat of black on my new tank today too.   Mostly to see where the "imperfections" are ... so most of it will be sanded off before I get done.   There are so many little, tiny imperfections , I think I put a few layers of sanding primer on next .  Tongue

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #72 - 02/02/17 at 07:07:28

Well , All smoothed out and ready for  ??? :

a touch of metal flake and decals ...
or
just decals ??

I got plenty of paint so I'll try a "touch of metal flake . Wink

Light entering through the screen gives the reflection a "screen" look (speckled)

0202170839.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #73 - 02/02/17 at 07:14:35

I found a picture of the Speedometer while I was looking for tank picture .  

I mounted it under the handlebar mount .   pulled the handlebar off , drilled and taped a hole all the way through , mounted the speedometer from the bottom on the tank side.  
I like having the "Cubby-Hole" behind the windshield to carry stuff , two 2Lt bottles , plus a loave of bread will fit in there at the same time !  Wink

0127171617a.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #74 - 02/02/17 at 07:24:14

here is a before picture of the tank .    You notice it has factory pin stripe on it ... I left a touch of the stripe under the paint so I can put the new pin-stripe in the same place .

new_tank_001.jpg

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 01:11:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Over size Tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.