Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
My First Savage (Read 2339 times)
projectfj

Alabama
Re: My First Savage
Reply #60 - 03/09/15 at 21:12:52

Thank you for the help. I looked in the clymer's manual correction thread and that wasn't in it. It might need to be added that the c ring goes under the camshaft instead of over it.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #61 - 03/11/15 at 11:41:23

11 hours later I have most everything back together, adjusted, inspected, stared at for a few hours. Yesterday I put the motor together, put it in the frame (which is REALLY hard to do by yourself), and put the carb, exhaust, tank, etc back on. I reconnected all the electricals as per Clymer's and put the battery in without the box temporarily to see if it would start for me.

The problem is, the neutral light was on yesterday and it would click but never turn over. After maybe about 4 or 5 tries, the neutral light went off and now it won't even click.

So today I borrowed a charger and did 20A for an hour, hooked the battery up and still no neutral light and no click or turn over. I took the battery to O'reillys and they said it was good. The battery has been on 2A trickle charge for about an hour and I don't know what to do.

Also, maybe related, the bike wont go into gear. I put the gear shift mechanism exactly where I marked it when I took it off, but no matter what it won't shift into gear. It stays in neutral, but now the neutral light isn't even coming on.

IMG_20150310_181843_886.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #62 - 03/11/15 at 11:53:13

Update: I read through some threads with similar problems, and I realized I had the kickstand down when trying to crank it. I went out there, put the battery in, kick stand up, raptor petcock to on, choke pulled out, ignition on, ignition switch on, and it does one click and the decompression lever comes up and goes back down. Neutral light is still off, bike is still in neutral, all lights except brake light work. What do I do?

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #63 - 03/11/15 at 12:00:40

ry jumping it of a car (DO NOT USE A RUNNING CAR FOR THIS) that rules out a bad / low battery

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #64 - 03/11/15 at 12:28:03

Art Webb wrote on 03/11/15 at 12:00:40:
ry jumping it of a car (DO NOT USE A RUNNING CAR FOR THIS) that rules out a bad / low battery

Just tried it. Kickstand up, neutral light still off, clicked and decomp pulled but didn't turn over

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #65 - 03/11/15 at 13:20:28

You had the stator cover off?

pull the starter and test it.
jump it to the battery, + to the post, - to the frame.
have a good hold on it, it will jump.
OK?

next...
reach in with your finger to feel the idle gear...
spin it, it will only go in 1 direction.
spins?
1 direction?
good then it wasn't what I was thinking ( I hope)

WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #66 - 03/11/15 at 15:01:36

verslagen1 wrote on 03/11/15 at 13:20:28:
You had the stator cover off?

pull the starter and test it.
jump it to the battery, + to the post, - to the frame.
have a good hold on it, it will jump.
OK?

next...
reach in with your finger to feel the idle gear...
spin it, it will only go in 1 direction.
spins?
1 direction?
good then it wasn't what I was thinking ( I hope)

I did have the stator cover off to line up the timing.

Starter tested good.

When I reached in and tried to spin the idler gear, it wouldn't move at all in either direction. Could something be in a bind in there and cause it to not turn over?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #67 - 03/11/15 at 15:20:30

projectfj wrote on 03/11/15 at 15:01:36:
I did have the stator cover off to line up the timing.

Starter tested good.

When I reached in and tried to spin the idler gear, it wouldn't move at all in either direction. Could something be in a bind in there and cause it to not turn over?

AHA!

there's your problem, very common problem too.

when you took the stator cover off, a washer jumped off and you didn't know where to put it.
so you put it in the worst place to put it and it's jambed the starter.

here's where it goes...

WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #68 - 03/11/15 at 15:41:05

Ahhhh noooo. I heard the washer fall out and after 30 minutes of trying to figure out which one it came off of, I put it on the wrong one. Well at least I know what it is. Hopefully I can get the stator cover off without messing up the gasket but I doubt I'm that lucky.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #69 - 03/11/15 at 17:39:25

Well I drained the oil, opened the stator cover, moved the washer from wrong to right gear, closed it up, adjusted the gear shift link a little bit, and filled it with new oil. Somehow I am still back where I was before I broke it back apart. Still just a click and the decomp moves when I hit the ignintion. Won't turn over. Any ideas of what it could be now?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #70 - 03/11/15 at 18:34:10

rinse, lather, repeat.

did you check to see if those gears turn now?

there are supposed to be a washer on either side of that gear.
and none on the "X" gear.

and if you tip the bike over about 45°, you can take the cover off without draining the oil.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #71 - 03/11/15 at 18:44:37

I didn't check if the gears turned, I was a bit frustrated by the time I got in the stator cover. I'm pretty sure there's a washer on the other side of the wrong gear as well, but I'll check it tomorrow. I was unsure if I could get away with leaning it over and saving the oil so I just went again and got new oil, but I'll be saving it this time.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #72 - 03/12/15 at 11:10:47

Today I tilted the bike at a 45, took the stator cover back off, took the other washer that was on the wrong gear and put it on the right gear for a total of 0 on the x gear and one on each side of the other gear, put it back together, took the starter out, spun the gear on the inside in the only direction that it would spin, put the starter back on, connected the battery, ignition on, kick stand up, gas on, choke all the way out, neutral light still off but in neutral, and it still clicked once and the decomp pulled. What do I do next?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #73 - 03/12/15 at 11:23:42

Is it possible that you have the idler gear on backwards?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #74 - 03/12/15 at 11:34:59

That could very well be a possibility. When I took the starter off and spun that gear through the hole, it spun CCW looking at it from the right side of the bike. That would mean that from the left side the X gear is spinning CW, the other gear CCW, and the big gear CW. That's backwards isn't it, because the big gear is supposed to spin CCW right?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 02:07:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.