ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: My First Savage
Reply #90 - 03/13/15 at 11:30:44

hotprops wrote on 03/13/15 at 09:49:09:
question foe verslagen does the starter selonid operate the decomp as well?

no, the decomp controller does that... little black box above the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #91 - 03/13/15 at 11:50:32

projectfj wrote on 03/13/15 at 10:18:37:
I jumped the positive terminal to the starter terminal and nothing happened, could that mean a bad ground? Those values are right, I just went and rechecked them. The voltage went up when I hit the starter button.

You got multiple issues, and I don't know what to tell you.
I would probably disconnect stuff till an issue became apparent.

Quote:
The neutral bulb worked the other day when I first tried to crank it after I finished getting the motor together and back in the frame. I'm not sure if trying to shift out of neutral is what turned it off or it just turned off. Either way it won't shift out of neutral or I would have already tried to roll is down a hill and jump start it. I'll try to play around with the shifter mechanism and see if I can't get it to go into gear.

any chance that you are in gear and just don't know it?
the shifter arm should point straight down, usually you can shift 1 way but not the other when it not.

WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #92 - 03/20/15 at 08:10:57

Well it took a while, but finally adjusted the external gear shift mechanism so that it shifts up and down just fine. After reading through a couple of threads on here, it sounded like I had a bad ground. Rewired it and got my neutral light to come on. Tried to start it and it turned right over. Put the gas tank and air filter on, and after almost an entire year I finally heard it run for the first time. I have to say the old 650 sounds darn good. After a good 5 seconds of pure joy that hours and days and weeks and months have added up to, I heard a sound like a coke can opening and oil went everywhere. Looks like I put the oil filter on backwards. I'm not even mad about it, ain't no use in it. I'm just glad I finally got to hear it run. In a week or so when I get my new oil filter cover and put the filter in the RIGHT way, I'll try it again. Hopefully that's all that will go wrong. Until then I guess I finally need to get an updated tag and some insurance so I can hit the road after a final inspection.

IMG_20150320_095248_434.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #93 - 03/20/15 at 09:27:25

Oooops! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #94 - 03/20/15 at 10:55:44

seeing that makes me paranois about my own oil change, but i already rode it 50 miles or so, I'm likely ok
Sorry that happened to you, man

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #95 - 03/30/15 at 17:23:42

Today I received my oil filter cover and fork seals in the mail. Took the old cover off, turned the oil filter the right way, and put the new oil filter cover on. Put new oil in and cranked right up. I got to enjoy it for about 15 seconds this time before I noticed yet another puddle of oil under the motorcycle. The culprit is in the picture below. That metal spacer or whatever blew out a bit and oil came rushing out. The only thing I could think of was a) the drive pulley should be on before the motor is started or b) I have another problem somewhere. Any thoughts?

IMG_20150330_180303_432.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #96 - 03/30/15 at 17:24:15

Came out easily:

IMG_20150330_180459_987.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #97 - 03/30/15 at 18:29:26

projectfj wrote on 03/20/15 at 08:10:57:
Well it took a while, but finally adjusted the external gear shift mechanism so that it shifts up and down just fine. After reading through a couple of threads on here, it sounded like I had a bad ground. Rewired it and got my neutral light to come on. Tried to start it and it turned right over. Put the gas tank and air filter on, and after almost an entire year I finally heard it run for the first time. I have to say the old 650 sounds darn good. After a good 5 seconds of pure joy that hours and days and weeks and months have added up to, I heard a sound like a coke can opening and oil went everywhere. Looks like I put the oil filter on backwards. I'm not even mad about it, ain't no use in it. I'm just glad I finally got to hear it run. In a week or so when I get my new oil filter cover and put the filter in the RIGHT way, I'll try it again. Hopefully that's all that will go wrong. Until then I guess I finally need to get an updated tag and some insurance so I can hit the road after a final inspection.

We have seen that twice, at dealerships. Fatalities both times. Best of luck.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #98 - 04/01/15 at 03:52:48

projectfj wrote on 03/30/15 at 17:23:42:
I got to enjoy it for about 15 seconds this time before I noticed yet another puddle of oil under the motorcycle. That metal spacer or whatever blew out a bit and oil came rushing out. The only thing I could think of was a) the drive pulley should be on before the motor is started. Any thoughts?

Yes....the drive pulley should be in place before you start the bike.  The crankcase has a lot of huffing and puffing going on when the engine is running, and with the drive pulley removed you have an open "wound" on the engine.  The oil will squirt out that opening....same as if you left the fill cap off.

Put the drive pulley on, install the nut with some threadlocker on it, torgue it to 100 foot pounds, and then bend the lock washer in place.  You don't want to take any short cuts here....and loose drive pulley will ruin the output shaft splines.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #99 - 04/01/15 at 04:18:22

That makes sense. I was hoping that was all it was instead of something huge. I got worried about JOG's post when I saw the word "fatality" and was a bit worried until I noticed he quoted my post about the oil filter being put on backwards. I admit I had a good laugh after the fact. The output splines are a bit messed up and chewed up the inside of my drive pulley to where it's pointy when it should have squared off cogs on the inside. I got a new one, but I'm not sure if I should put it or the old one on before addressing the issue of the output spline. What are your thoughts on that? I kept the drive pulley off, because my rear tire had some deep cracks in it and the tread was getting to the point of needing replaced. I got a Shinko 712 off motorcycle superstore for half what any dealership wanted for the same tire. The only problem I ran into was that there's only one place within about 60 miles that will put on a motorcycle tire if you don't buy it from them. I finally found a place and I should have it back today. So here's hoping today is my first ride on the Savage.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #100 - 04/01/15 at 04:26:56

Jog's "fatality" referred to the fact that both times the aluminum cover exploded.  The good news is that it shows your oil pump has good pressure!

If the output shaft splines show any sign of wear....use the new pulley and also use the product for restoring the fit on worn shafts.  I am going to have to search a bit to find it.  You can't screw around with this shaft, as it requires a complete engine tear down to repair if the shaft is damaged beyond use.

Clean all the oil off the shaft, pulley and nut...used brake clean or a similar product and get is completely clean.  Apply the shaft restoration product on the splines, install the pulley and lock washer, apply thread locker to the threads, torque it to 96 - 100 ft.lbs, and then bend up the lock washer in a couple places.

Then go riding and stop worrying about it...you have done the best you can.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #101 - 04/01/15 at 04:45:13

I was hoping the output spline wouldn't be much of a problem this time around. This is what I'm working with at the moment:

IMG_20150401_064103_840.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #102 - 04/01/15 at 04:45:47

Chewed up my old drive pulley pretty good too:

IMG_20150401_064133_805.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #103 - 04/01/15 at 05:00:04

OK....here is a thread on the topic.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1406924942/18#18

You definitely need to use the new pulley, clean off the shaft to remove all grease, and then use the threadlocker.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #104 - 04/01/15 at 05:11:47

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll track some down before I put the pulley back on. Hopefully a local auto parts store will have it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 08:54:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.