Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
My First Savage (Read 2339 times)
projectfj

Alabama
My First Savage
10/02/14 at 14:25:04

After reading a ton of the posts on here, I figured this would be the absolute best forum to join to learn and find wisdom on my recently purchased 96' Savage. After scoring this fine piece of Japanese machinery for $400, I immediately began the process to figure out what was wrong with it as it was not running when I bought it. A little backstory: bought it, "the motorcycle guy" at Toyota where I worked at the time checked it out and came to the conclusion the engine needed to be broke down to determine the problem. So here I am, motor out of frame, ready to be disassembled.

My question is: If I am taking apart the cylinder head to inspect the valves/piston/cylinder wall, do I need to take apart the alternator, starter, clutch, camshaft cover, and components as per the Clymer's repair manual or would I be okay starting from the cylinder head and making my way down the cylinder?

Also, I'm sure I read somewhere a checklist of things to inspect when the engine is disassembled, but I can't seem to find it. I know the chain tensioner is on there, and I'm going to go ahead and fix that infamous seal leak while I'm in there, but if there is anything else or if somebody can find the link to that checklist before I do I would appreciate it.

Suzuki_Savage_002.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: My First Savage
Reply #1 - 10/02/14 at 14:39:52

Yes you'll need to take the clutch cover off to get the cam off, then the head. (and many things in between)

But, we like to hear more of why you and your "m/c guy" think it should be broke down.  Maybe we can avoid un necessary work.

WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #2 - 10/02/14 at 14:55:39

Thanks for the quick post. I forgot to mention it has 33,605 miles on it. Back when I was working those dreadful 12 hour days I bought this bike, and brought it to the dealership. I asked around and everybody pointed to Chris, "the motorcycle guy." I asked him to give it a good looking over, and he said it had no compression and he would have to break it apart to know for sure what was going on. He did disconnect the decompression lever before the compression test. However, what he meant by no compression I will never know. What I do know is it will turn over all day, but never crank. He sprayed starter fluid in the spark plug hole, put the plug in, and it fired so it can't be seized up?

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #3 - 10/02/14 at 15:14:17

Good Luck.  Really, have fun doing that !

And  LISTEN, to the people here,
that have; "Been their and  Done that".

I did the same, but when the problems were beyond,
my, 'laziness', (taking out the motor and checking it out),
I just parted it out.  

After tearing it apart, found out what was making the, 'bucket of bolts inside', noise.  But to late now.

Do, have a  BUNCH of parts, out of a 97, 5500 miles,
which are all in good shape, if you need something.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #4 - 10/02/14 at 15:23:04

I've learned to listen to ANY advice given to me after I did a sbc350 swap on my 79' fj40. Talk about lesson learned after lesson learned. I do know for a fact that I need a front drive belt pulley since mine is all grinded up in the spline region. PM me a price and shipping to 35405 if you've got one. I want to see what the major damage is on the bike since I haven't spent anything over the initial cost of the bike so far, but an estimate doesn't hurt.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/02/14 at 15:40:32

No compression is not good, but fires?  I know it won't run w/out compression but will it fire?  You must have the header and carb off, valves look ok?  not bent or busted off in particular?

Any odd sounds while it's spinning?

30k miles is ripe for a cam chain.

ground up spline is not good.
Is the spline on the output shaft still good or is it ground up too?
If you have a spare sprocket from another bike, it might fit over the splines to check them out.  Swapping out the output shaft will require splitting the case.

WWW   IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #6 - 10/02/14 at 15:44:51

I, PM'ed you.
But if you don't get it.
Look here:
http://tomradde.com/xt225/styled/index.html

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #7 - 10/02/14 at 15:57:11

verslagen1: I say it fires, but it made a real loud bang. I have the carb off, but haven't made it to the engine yet. I will probably start taking it apart tomorrow now that I know the clutch cover has to come off. As far as the sound when it was spinning, it sounded pretty normal. The output spline is fine, just the pulley is all grinded. It looks like this : http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

MnSpring: It says I haven't made my ten posts yet so I can't reply via PM, but I've looked at your stock over and over. I called my local dealer today and they said it was going to be $80+. Will it fit in one of those small or medium boxes?

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #8 - 10/02/14 at 16:03:08

All depends on the size, and what you want.
Most people do not understand, those boxes CAN go to 70 LB's  total,
for the One Box !
Ya can fit a  LOT of stuff, in a, 'large'  PM  box'.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 10/02/14 at 16:19:20

Again, take the advice from the people here,
'that have done that been their'.

I Have the drive pulley,
AND  the Cam chain with Both top & Bottom Sprockets,
AND   CAM, And Both slides.
And if you want  a  NEW  (Modified CCA, 'from verslage')
Have a extra of one of those also.

And a  96.   Don't know. Is that year, before or after, the,
'kick out', gear for backfiring on starting?
If so, also have that from the 97.

Later. Time to eat, read, and will check in tomorrow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/02/14 at 18:02:23

I'd shoot some oil in it,look at the plug, pop the valve covers,see if they are open when they should not be,then check the compression. I'd do the valve thing first. But I would not allow it to start till I had checked the cam chain..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #11 - 10/03/14 at 09:35:49

MnSpring: Let me see what all I'll need and what all I can afford and I'll PM you. No clue about the "kick out" gear.

Looks like I'll be doing the valves first as recommended then inspect everything else. Probably won't get into it today since it's raining and I don't have much cover, but I should have a good start on it tomorrow. Thanks for the help and I'll post again when I make some progress.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #12 - 10/08/14 at 05:56:17

Finally got some progress going. Not as much as I'd hoped, but moving in a forward direction. Here's a few pictures of what I've done so far:

IMG_20141008_072244_027.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #13 - 10/08/14 at 05:56:56

Another:

IMG_20141008_072222_419.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama