Send Topic Print
suggestion for grips (Read 169 times)
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

suggestion for grips
07/28/15 at 10:12:02

I have noticed my grips are getting slimy.  I have cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, but they feel slimy and slippery.

Recommendations?

IP Logged
most
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: suggestion for grips
Reply #1 - 07/28/15 at 19:09:17

Are you riding without gloves?

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 07/28/15 at 23:59:16

Are they the stock foam rubber grips? How old are they?
The best thing to clean them with is just mild soap and water. If you got fuel/oil/WD40/some other material on them, you can rub the down with a little bit of GOOP hand cleaner, then soap and water afterward.

Eventually the stock grips WILL begin to break down and get a bit slimy. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace though, and an excellent excuse to add some bling to your ride.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/30/15 at 08:24:10

No riding gloves.

Bling or function, I just want something secure, where I don't feel slippery.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 07/30/15 at 10:04:39

I have a set of these on my Savage...mine are the chrome variety, but the all black look good too.

The raised "bumps" actually reduce vibration on your hands, and to me anyway...they are much more comfortable than a flat-surface grip.
They come with the throttle tube, so installing is a breeze. Should take about 20 mins tops.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Hand-Grips-Harley-Davidson-Air-Cushioned-Rubber...

Btw, ANY 1 inch grip will work on our bars, but I recommend getting a set with the throttle tube pre-installed. This way, you dont have to try and salvage the old one from your original grips.

grips.JPG

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/30/15 at 10:21:11

These are large, if you have small hands, don't get'm.

WWW   IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #6 - 07/30/15 at 11:14:10

Way back when I used chrome grips similar to Boogie's, the "knobs" adds grip which is nice, but they are a bit large.
I'd personally go for something with gel inserts to cut a bit of the vibration especially when riding without gloves, there are plenty different varieties on the old Flebay  Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 07/30/15 at 11:43:19

Wear gloves. If you ever fall your first instinct will be to break your fall with your hands. Just imagine what the palm of your hands will look like after scraping along the ground from 40 mph.

Leather is inexpensive and replaceable. Your skin is neither of these.

Oh...just to keep it on point...I like gel grips too.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
05ss45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/31/15 at 06:52:39

Gary so true.

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #9 - 08/01/15 at 03:11:30

Boogie with Stu, I too have a set of those chrome grips... my second set actually. These grips are large and extend past the end of the bar no matter how you have everything else arranged. When my 87 fell over (rookie mistake/learning experience, kickstand on grass... bad idea) it landed on the non-throttle grip and bent it pretty severely since the last couple inches had no support from the bar.

Tried to straighten them, but the aluminum snapped. Ordered another set and bolted them on. All told, I'm quite happy with the grips, and the vibration damping works very well.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 08/02/15 at 00:35:24

koehlerrk wrote on 08/01/15 at 03:11:30:
Boogie with Stu, I too have a set of those chrome grips... my second set actually. These grips are large and extend past the end of the bar no matter how you have everything else arranged. When my 87 fell over (rookie mistake/learning experience, kickstand on grass... bad idea) it landed on the non-throttle grip and bent it pretty severely since the last couple inches had no support from the bar.

Tried to straighten them, but the aluminum snapped. Ordered another set and bolted them on. All told, I'm quite happy with the grips, and the vibration damping works very well.

My bad, I should have mentioned that I have never put those grips on Savage bars. I switched to Triumph Bonny bars (31 inches wide and a smidge) and put those grips on at that time. The Triumph bars had plenty of room to get the grips flush, plus mount all the other stuff. I had no idea they wouldnt fit well on the stock bar. Mea Culpa.

I dont have HUGE paws, but I'm 5' 11+" and 190. The grips pictured ARE wide, but I like the way they feel under my hands. If I had smaller hands, I can see how they might feel TOO big.

IP Logged
AlfromNH
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 08/02/15 at 04:00:42

I've used these slide-on foam grip covers on several different bikes that I've owned and love them. they add a little bit of diameter to the grips and gives some vibration dampening. For about $10 a pair you can't go wrong.
http://www.amazon.com/Grab-On-Grips-Grip-Cover/dp/B000WJAH5M

IP Logged
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/02/15 at 16:43:49

I'll add a +1 to the foam grip as an option.  Might be able to put them on over what you've got with little cost etc etc.  I've got a 80" shovelhead that vibrates as much as anything I've ever ridden.  The foam helps but it doesn't eliminate it or anything.

As for gloves, anything helps but remember that if it's not high grade leather or armored it'll run through pretty quick.  I remember an old article (late 80's motorcyclist mag I think) that did abrasion testing on a variety or textiles, letather etc.  Everything but racing leathers wore through in in less that ~20 ft if I recall correctly.  Wish I could find that article again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 03:43:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › suggestion for grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.