Send Topic Print
My First Savage (Read 2339 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My First Savage
Reply #30 - 10/08/14 at 18:12:04

No way to have compression with a busted valve..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #31 - 10/08/14 at 18:24:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/08/14 at 18:12:04:
No way to have compression with a busted valve..

Makes sense. So that's why there's a decompression lever, to open an exhaust valve on start up right? That's why it has to be disconnected or there will be a low compression reading. You think that valve is all  it is or does anything else look off?

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #32 - 10/09/14 at 12:17:14

From the pictures I've posted so far, will I have to replace the piston and cylinder head or can I smooth them down? I've never replaced a piston before, but this one looks pretty rough.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 10/09/14 at 12:43:08

Cylinder head....not sure if that can be saved.  It has a pretty good looking nick in edge near the valve seat insert.  You might be able to grind and sand it smooth enough to be usable.  You can't have an sharp edges that will concentrate heat and promote detonation.  We used to have a really good machine shop in Cincinnati that could do that kind of repair fast and cheap.  They could weld heads, install new and/or oversize valve seats, etc. - I just don't know if those kind of places exists anymore.

Piston.....might be salvageable.  Once again the sharp edges have to be gone, dent most likely won't be a problem.  If there are any dents on the outside edge that have compressed the ring land onto the piston ring, the piston is not any good.  

Rocker arms.....not sure?  If the rockers got bent trying to push down on a valve at the same time the broken valve was getting pushed up by the piston - it could have bent the rockers.

I would start with the head.  See if it is able to be used.  Heads go for about $ 250.  By the time you get a head, piston, rings, gaskets, a valve, etc.   You might be at the cost of a low mileage replacement engine.

Bummer you had to start out this way......they can get expensive really quickly when they are broken.  Not sure what makes the valve break like that.....it is not all that common on the Savage.

It really depends on where you want to go with this.  It is a great opportunity to make a hot-rod motor with a Wiseco, cam upgrade, etc.  However if you want to repair this with as little cost as possible...you need to try and salvage as much as possible.

PS.....I have a good piston that came out of a 18,000 mile engine that broke the case when the starter gear screwed up.  It was running fine until that happened.

Or for the ultimate riding pleasure.....You can buy a Male Enhancement Product!

IMG_0372_001.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #34 - 10/09/14 at 16:43:42

I guess I'll start looking for a good machine shop to see what they say and compare it to some prices I find for a cylinder head, that's what I'm most worried about. I used to look at those wiseco oversized pistons, but if I don't have to bore the cylinder they'll have to wait. I'm going to salvage as much as possible. I'll let y'all know what I decide to do. Thanks again for all the help.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #35 - 10/18/14 at 06:01:18

Took it to a machine shop and they said the cylinder head was warped, cut, and beyond repair.

In other news, a 97 running savage with 12k miles was bought out from under me for $500 on Craigslist. My luck.

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #36 - 10/25/14 at 08:10:00

The cylinder walls look good so I don't think you broke a ring.

That broken exhaust valve makes me wonder...it looks like the cam chain and tensioner are intact so .....I think it broke an exhaust valve spring....it dropped the valve and it came in contact with the piston and broke the valve off up inside the guide.

You're going to need a piston and a cylinder head.

What does the camshaft look like?

Is there any damage to the bearing surfaces or the lobes?

A bare cylinder head casting is about $900.00 new from Suzuki and that's without guides, seats, valves, springs, locks and retainers....add the rest of the parts and you are up around $1,200.00 BEFORE the machine shop costs to put the seats and guides in.

Good used cylinder heads are going for about $250.00 on eBay right now but beware!!!!

Make sure you get good close-up pics of the cam bearings in the head....most of the salvage places don't check the cam bearings before they list them on ebay.

I bought one from a salvage place in Florida and had to send it back because the cam bearings were no good.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #37 - 10/26/14 at 17:45:24

I'm trying to get a cylinder head, piston, and both belt pulleys within the next few weeks. Here is what my cylinder head looks like from up top with the valves and cam surface. I'm trying to get things together and hopefully get it together before it gets too cold. I'm not going to rush too much though, that's where careless mistakes come from.

IMG_20141015_155452_684.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #38 - 11/03/14 at 01:37:16

Almost have everything I need to start putting the motor back together and hopefully, finally get to ride a little before winter kicks in full force. Does anybody know of a good engine gasket set? I know I read somewhere on here to be careful about the ebay ones, because they're missing holes. Also, is RTV black sealant alright to use or should I get the red?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #39 - 11/03/14 at 03:36:25

Well red looks nasty when you are done......black makes a much better appearance.  You can also carefully remove the stuff that sticks out, as the seal is between the surfaces...not from what has oozed out.  Also use is sparingly, as you don't want it squeezing a bunch inside as it can block the oil flow to the cam.

Me....I bought Suzukibond and used it.  It is what the factory uses, and it seems to set up a bit slower than the gasket maker type RTV sealants.  You can also use Hondabond or Yamabond.

Don't do this........

« Last Edit: 11/03/14 at 10:15:11 by Dave »  

headsealplug-033_004.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 11/03/14 at 09:19:51

I used Yamabond. In the years I had that tube,it never hardened. Expensive, But it's the best gasket goo I've seen.
And it's a silver grey,, a dot doesn't stick out..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #41 - 11/03/14 at 09:31:26

Are y'all saying to use  suzukibond or yamabond in place of a gasket set?

IP Logged
thefattony
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jax FL
Reply #42 - 11/03/14 at 09:38:56

bump

(just bc i wanted to send a PM to the creator of this thread and was at 9 posts needed to be at 10)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 11/03/14 at 10:01:17

projectfj wrote on 11/03/14 at 09:31:26:
Are y'all saying to use  suzukibond or yamabond in place of a gasket set?

No

Use "bond where "bond is used,

Use gaskets where gaskets are used.

WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #44 - 11/03/14 at 10:17:25

Any suggestions on where to get the right gasket set? I've been looking at the one on windsorcycles.com for just over $110. I've seen a few listings on eBay for around $30-40, but read their missing holes. I just want to get the right set for as little as possible and I figured a few of you have had to get a gasket set somewhere along the line.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 10:01:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.