Send Topic Print
My First Savage (Read 2339 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My First Savage
Reply #45 - 11/03/14 at 10:24:17

The head cover has no gasket. I used Yamabond and was very pleased with how it works,not just as an effective sealant,but its ease of application,getting it to"wet"the surface and not get gummy while I was getting it spread thin and even. There are oil passageways that need to be sealed around but not plugged and the thickness of the"gasket"determines the clearance for the cam bearings,well,the head and cover ARE the bearing surfaces.
The sticks they use for manicures are handy for manipulating the goo. The local beauty shop supply has them. They are called Orange Sticks,because it's supposed to be Orange tree wood.
I ran out of gasket goo and bought Permatex Ultra Grey. IDK yet how it acts. I have not used it yet.At least it's not gonna look like a Stop sign poking out.
If it's not as easy to work with as Yamabond and I was gonna get into the head cover,I'd pay the money and get the good stuff. It's hard enough without having to wrestle with a combative tube of goo.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #46 - 11/03/14 at 10:28:02

projectfj wrote on 11/03/14 at 09:31:26:
Are y'all saying to use  suzukibond or yamabond in place of a gasket set?

Reproduce what the factory did.

Use gaskets where the factory used them.

And when doing the case halves and cylinder head cover.....use the Suzuk/Yama or HondaBond products.  There is also an aftermarket product called Threebond.....that I imagine is the same product without the brand name.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3177

The generic RTV products seem to set up pretty fast for something as technical as installing the head cover.  The Suzuki bond seemed to be a bit more "user friendly" and did not start to set up quickly.  It also doesn't harden in the tube as JOG has mentioned.  One tube goes a very long way and lasts a long time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #47 - 11/03/14 at 11:55:36

I've never even heard of that Yama/Suzuki/Hondabond until today, guess I'll have to get some. I've always used RTV, but then again I've always worked on Chevys and Toyotas. Do y'all have a specific place in mind to get the crankcase, cylinder base/head, exhaust, and any other gaskets I'll need? From the looks of it I might be better off getting a set than each individually. I want to get the least amount possible from the dealer since they're prices are usually higher than online, and it takes a week + for them to get the parts.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #48 - 11/03/14 at 13:28:02

Get the set.....and just check prices with Bike Bandit, Ron Ayers, Motorcycle Superstore, etc.....maybe eBay.  Spend the extra and make sure it is a factory set.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #49 - 01/30/15 at 14:28:21

Wells guys and gals it took months, but I have everything (hopefully) other than a few odds and end parts.

Here is a list of everything I have so far:
Used front and rear pulley (thanks kockic)
Used piston and rings (thanks MnSpring)
Used cylinder head (thanks LANCER)
Versy cam chain tensioner (thanks verslagen1)
New 140/90/15 Shinko 712 rear tire
New tire tube
New wheel strip
New K&N pod air filter (thanks LANCER)
New stock gasket set
New stock raptor petcock
New stock allen head timing cover plug
New stock cam chain tensioner circlip
New stock pulley lock washer
New stock oil filter
New stock spark plug
New tube of Yamabond

I want to thank everybody that has helped me so far on this crazy journey I've been on since last Summer. If you see anything I left off, please let me know. I'm going to use Rotella T 15W-40 oil and a little pod filter for the crankcase breather (not sure what to do yet with the air box) next time I find myself at O'reilly's. Hoping all that's left is a few man hours.

IMG_20150130_125824_937.jpg
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #50 - 01/30/15 at 17:51:26

I looked for Yamabond on Ron Ayers website and found several different part numbers. Which part number for Yamabond is mentioned above?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #51 - 01/31/15 at 17:10:01

I use the Suzuki stuff in my Suzuki! Smiley

Part number 99104-31140

SuzukiBond_001.jpg

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #52 - 01/31/15 at 21:22:06

Dave wrote on 10/09/14 at 12:43:08:
Cylinder head....not sure if that can be saved.  It has a pretty good looking nick in edge near the valve seat insert.  You might be able to grind and sand it smooth enough to be usable.  You can't have an sharp edges that will concentrate heat and promote detonation.  We used to have a really good machine shop in Cincinnati that could do that kind of repair fast and cheap.  They could weld heads, install new and/or oversize valve seats, etc. - I just don't know if those kind of places exists anymore.

Piston.....might be salvageable.  Once again the sharp edges have to be gone, dent most likely won't be a problem.  If there are any dents on the outside edge that have compressed the ring land onto the piston ring, the piston is not any good.  

Rocker arms.....not sure?  If the rockers got bent trying to push down on a valve at the same time the broken valve was getting pushed up by the piston - it could have bent the rockers.

I would start with the head.  See if it is able to be used.  Heads go for about $ 250.  By the time you get a head, piston, rings, gaskets, a valve, etc.   You might be at the cost of a low mileage replacement engine.

Bummer you had to start out this way......they can get expensive really quickly when they are broken.  Not sure what makes the valve break like that.....it is not all that common on the Savage.

It really depends on where you want to go with this.  It is a great opportunity to make a hot-rod motor with a Wiseco, cam upgrade, etc.  However if you want to repair this with as little cost as possible...you need to try and salvage as much as possible.

PS.....I have a good piston that came out of a 18,000 mile engine that broke the case when the starter gear screwed up.  It was running fine until that happened.

Or for the ultimate riding pleasure.....You can buy a Male Enhancement Product!

My Wiseco didnt come with a nice cloth bag  :'(

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #53 - 02/01/15 at 07:14:14

Kenny G wrote on 01/30/15 at 17:51:26:
I looked for Yamabond on Ron Ayers website and found several different part numbers. Which part number for Yamabond is mentioned above?

Kenny G

I went to the closest stealership which was Yamaha and asked for some yamabond. The part number on the invoice was acc-bond4-mc-00 . Hope that helps.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #54 - 03/09/15 at 15:44:03

My rocker arms were a bit wore, but thanks to MnSpring I have a new-to-me cylinder head cover with good rocker arms so I'm back on track. I put the camshaft back in (hopefully aligned correctly, see pictures), but the cylinder head cover won't go on flush. What is causing this?

IMG_20150309_172916_257.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #55 - 03/09/15 at 15:44:41

Camshaft Marks

IMG_20150309_172902_286.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #56 - 03/09/15 at 15:45:11

Top Dead Center

IMG_20150309_173025_978.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #57 - 03/09/15 at 20:00:18

projectfj wrote on 03/09/15 at 15:44:03:
My rocker arms were a bit wore, but thanks to MnSpring I have a new-to-me cylinder head cover with good rocker arms so I'm back on track. I put the camshaft back in (hopefully aligned correctly, see pictures), but the cylinder head cover won't go on flush. What is causing this?

the cam key is a half moon shape, put it in the bottom of the groove in the head.  not on top of the cam.

WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #58 - 03/09/15 at 20:18:25

I guess that's an error in the clymer's manual and that to put it under the camshaft I have to take the camshaft all the way back out?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 03/09/15 at 20:47:06

you should be able to slip it in on 1 side and tap with a hammer.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 11:29:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.