Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
My First Savage (Read 2339 times)
projectfj

Alabama
Re: My First Savage
Reply #120 - 04/24/15 at 15:53:59

I'll try that tomorrow, already broke into the PBR today.

For this afternoon, a little story from earlier:
I drove up to the local Toyota dealership that I have at almost every Summer. I made some good friends that I still keep close. One of which found my Savage on Craigslist, the other of which went with me to check it out since I had no clue what to look for. Today I rode it up there for the first time. Of course they couldn't help but marvel, rode it, and commented on how smooth and powerful it was. One of them had to go back to work , but the other one was on his lunch break. We talked for a while and come to find out he has a 70s model Harley Ironhead project. Come to find out he has an old Daytona bucket helmet and wants to give it to me. If it turns out to be what I hope it is I'll post some pictures. I have a pretty small head so if its anything over a medium its a no go. I'm being hopeful for now and I'm supposed to go pick it up tomorrow.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #121 - 04/24/15 at 19:46:55

Kick stand switch is a well known common failure. The one on my 1998 lasted about 6 weeks, before I had to cut the wires and twist them together, capped with a small gray or blue wire nut. Never had another electrical issue from the safeties.

Won't get into the other electrical gremlins, since you're finally getting a chance to play with your bike...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #122 - 04/29/15 at 15:31:22

Well I feel stupid. Took the tank off today and found that the zip tie I used to hold the wires up the backbone together undid the neutral wire. Plugged it back up, and it was like nothing ever happened. I did get that helmet. It's pretty nice, especially to be free. It was the first time my buddy ever did pinstripe, and that was a decade ago. Here it is:

new_helmet.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #123 - 04/29/15 at 15:31:52

The back:

new_helmet_2.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #124 - 04/29/15 at 15:33:41

But I will admit when he said "Daytona bucket helmet," this was the first thing that came to mind. So I'm slightly disappointed, but still pretty darn happy with my new lid.

vintage_helmet.jpg
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #125 - 04/29/15 at 22:07:48

A decade? is this helmet that old?
According to helmet manufacturers the EPS dries up and gets brittle over time, most recommend replacing a helmet when it gets to 5-7 years old, just so you know
Glad you got the issue worked out man, enjoy your ride

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #126 - 04/30/15 at 06:57:18

Art Webb wrote on 04/29/15 at 22:07:48:
According to helmet manufacturers the EPS dries up and gets brittle over time, most recommend replacing a helmet when it gets to 5-7 years old, just so you know

Agreed. I have a collection of beautiful helmets at home that I no longer use due to their age. Additionally, any helmet that has "done its job" should be retired as well. They are only designed to withstand one compression of the EPS. For that reason, I also have a collection of beautiful dirt helmets too. HJC loves me.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #127 - 04/30/15 at 07:08:53

projectfj wrote on 04/29/15 at 15:31:22:
Well I feel stupid. Took the tank off today and found that the zip tie I used to hold the wires up the backbone together undid the neutral wire. Plugged it back up, and it was like nothing ever happened. I did get that helmet. It's pretty nice, especially to be free. It was the first time my buddy ever did pinstripe, and that was a decade ago. Here it is:

The last place it got touched... I've seen it many times over the decades.
Even if it's been a month, say, pulled the tank, everything is dandy, suddenly, develop an electrical issue,, go back, see if a wire got pinched.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #128 - 04/30/15 at 11:36:54

I checked the lining and it said "March 2011." Maybe he's been painting for a decade, but not pinstriping as long? Just another communication error. Either way, it's not THAT old.  After I reconnected the neutral wire, I went for a short ride yesterday. About 15 minutes in, my speedometer quit working. Brought it home, let it cool down, unscrewed the cable end to find this (lucky me) :

IMG_20150430_131015_617.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #129 - 04/30/15 at 12:00:41

I have an inner cable in good shape.  A $ 5.00 bill would get it delivered to you.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #130 - 05/01/15 at 11:52:52

The more I read about the speedo issues the more I lean toward deleting the thing in favor of a Garmin or some GPS speedo

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #131 - 05/01/15 at 15:27:33

Mine had the infamous squeaky rattle. Ingenuity and some adhesive foam from a window unit A.C. and that was solved. That's the first cable I've seen die. The location is the biggest turn off for me. Eyes down, focus, back to the road,focus,   but really, when did I NEED to see it,?

Well , school zones, and every now and then running alone, no traffic to be in sync with, aaaaand when I was seeing if it's hitting the ton and entering a corner I'd been working on and,exit speed, to see if I was improving,,
So, yeah, I could get behind seeing someone ditch it, but not because of functionality or dependability,, the hassle of fixing that hole seems like a pretty big deal to me. Or, leaving it in,, I could see that, idk about how your state does it, but we have to have a High beam indicator light to pass inspection.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #132 - 05/03/15 at 18:05:39

there are a few threads where the fool things start leaking oil, and Old Rider's was doing it pretty badly at one point during the Sisters ride, now a snapped cable on this bike
Never saw so many issues with the old front axle driven speedos
it'd be pretty easy to just put a pipe cap over the hole in the engine case, keep the lights as are

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #133 - 05/03/15 at 18:13:00

I lost the o ring. Took a TooBig o ring, cut it at an angle with dikes, cut again, fit, stuffed it in, never leaked. No pressure there.
Again, first time I've seen a cable issue. Id have to see the routing, inspect for clues to a hard bend one day...

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #134 - 08/03/15 at 02:46:28

I never really closed this thread properly, but ever since I got the bike in running order I've put over 1k miles on it. All in all, I could have bought a decently new Savage with far less miles for what it cost me to get mine back running the roads. However, I've enjoyed learning so much from all the fine members of this forum as well as the Clymer's manual and some hard trial and error. Thank all of you that helped me either directly or indirectly in my rebuild. I'll be lurking around the forum trying to learn as much as I can and hopefully I can help others in the future.

IMG_20150727_143736_467.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 09:36:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.