Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately? (Read 2454 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" late
Reply #60 - 08/02/12 at 09:54:57

Klotz and Amsoil both have 1400 zddp.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in
Reply #61 - 08/02/12 at 09:58:01

rfw2003 wrote on 08/02/12 at 09:43:13:
Here is the TDS sheet for Rotella T6 http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T6...

Here is the TDS sheet for Rotella T http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T_...

Both specify the use in Gasoline engines and the Triple Protection one actually mentions motorcycle use in the TDS sheet. Both also show the JASO, MA and DH2 approvals.

R.F.

Motorcycle oil don't even have to mention for use in motorcycles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #62 - 08/02/12 at 10:01:50

bill67 wrote on 08/02/12 at 09:58:01:
rfw2003 wrote on 08/02/12 at 09:43:13:
Here is the TDS sheet for Rotella T6 http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T6...

Here is the TDS sheet for Rotella T http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T_...

Both specify the use in Gasoline engines and the Triple Protection one actually mentions motorcycle use in the TDS sheet. Both also show the JASO, MA and DH2 approvals.

R.F.

Motorcycle oil don't even have to mention for use in motorcycles.

How do you figure that?  If it didn't say motorcycle oil on it, how would you know it was for motorcycles?  Roll Eyes

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #63 - 08/02/12 at 10:09:08

I just got an email back from Rotella where I asked what the ZDDP levels were in their Rotella T and Rotella T6 oils here is the response.

Quote:
Both Shell Rotella T Triple Protection Oil SAE 15W-40 and Shell
Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-40 contain approximately 1200
ppm zinc.  This generally is enough zinc to provide adequate
protection in flat tappet camshaft applications.

Thank you for your interest in Shell Lubricants!

Regards,
Edward A. Calcote
Staff Chemist
Shell Lubricants US Technical Information Center
http://www.shell.us/lubricants

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #64 - 08/02/12 at 10:17:29

Bill has made up his mind that Rotella is not suitable for motorcycles. No amount of evidence to the contrary will convince him differently.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #65 - 08/02/12 at 10:21:50

Charon wrote on 08/02/12 at 10:17:29:
Bill has made up his mind that Rotella is not suitable for motorcycles. No amount of evidence to the contrary will convince him differently.

That I know,  I'm just the type that puts actual true evidence and information out instead of stuff pulled out of nowhere. Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #66 - 08/02/12 at 10:23:44

Charon says 1200 zddp is all you need because Klotz and amsoil have 1400 and Rotella only 1200,Theres other oils with more than 1400 zddp.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #67 - 08/02/12 at 10:25:21

rfw2003 wrote on 08/02/12 at 10:21:50:

That I know,  I'm just the type that puts actual true evidence and information out instead of stuff pulled out of nowhere. Smiley

Whats your evidence that rotella is better than motorcycle oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #68 - 08/02/12 at 10:25:40

Also, Bill is not considering that Amisol and Klotz cost over twice as much per quart as Rotella T-6 costs ....

..... and around four (4) times as much as the dino Rotella T costs.  

For a stock Savage engine the white jug Rotella T dino 15w40 has all the ZDDP you need in it already and it costs $12.99 a gallon at your local Walmart.

Not $13.99 a single quart like Amisol or Klotz.

Grin

Bill, active denial doesn't become you.  

Rotella T and Rotella T-6 are motorcycle oils by definition of JASO and they have the sterling advantage for the Savage flat tappet engine of having 1200 PPM of ZDDP in them when many of the other "motorcycle oils" do not.

Are you really saying that SuzukiSavage.com should keep a listing of "Approved Savage Oils" in the tech section to keep all the newbies from buying the wrong stuff?

Actually, that isn't a half bad idea.

What would the criteria be for inclusion?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #69 - 08/02/12 at 10:30:03

bill67 wrote on 08/02/12 at 10:25:21:
rfw2003 wrote on 08/02/12 at 10:21:50:

Whats your evidence that rotella is better than motorcycle oil.

What is your evidence that it is not?

At no time did I say it was the best oil bill,  that is you putting words in my typing.  I was just pointing out that it is suited for motorcycle use and has been tested by labs to be suited for motorcycle use.  I also seem to remember reading a post on here from another member that used several different oils and testing running temps and found that overall the Rotella made his Savage run at a lower temp then even your high and mighty Red discharge oil.  Not that may not be a lab approved test but that does tell me and others that it does indeed lower the friction levels in the engine more then your Klotz oil does, I'm sorry to say.  I'm not one to tell a person they must use a specific oil or not,  but if asked what I use I will proudly tell them what I use and recommend it based on my experience.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #70 - 08/02/12 at 10:33:59

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/02/12 at 10:25:40:
Also, Bill is not considering that Amisol and Klotz cost over twice as much per quart as Rotella T-6 costs ....

..... and around four (4) times as much as the dino Rotella T costs.  

For a stock Savage engine the white jug Rotella T dino 15w40 has all the ZDDP you need in it already and it costs $12.99 a gallon at your local Walmart.

Not $13.99 a single quart like Amisol or Klotz.

agreed.  Now if the Savage or any motorcycle had the sump & filter capacity to actually warrant an extended change interval then I would migrate to a more expensive oil like Amisol like I use on my cages, but since the capacity of the filtration and sump is so small there is no need for using such an expensive oil as you can never get the benefits of it that it's designed for.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #71 - 08/02/12 at 10:44:42

The list of "Approved Savage/S40 Oils" isn't a bad idea at all. Perhaps there should also be a list of "Recommended Savage/S40 Oils" as a subset.

"Approved" probably should include all oils with suitable ZDDP levels, and all SAE grades generally used. It should certainly NOT include those oils with friction modifiers such as moly or graphite.  "Approved" would include any oils, any price, known to work satisfactorily.

"Recommended" would be a subset of "Approved" and would include such factors as cost and ready availability. It might even reduce the number of SAE grades, since Versy's testing seemed to show higher engine temperatures with oils having a 50 as the high number.

Don't forget the most important thing - if it doesn't have a picture of a motorcycle, it can't possibly work.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #72 - 08/02/12 at 10:50:31

Charon wrote on 08/02/12 at 10:44:42:
The list of "Approved Savage/S40 Oils" isn't a bad idea at all. Perhaps there should also be a list of "Recommended Savage/S40 Oils" as a subset.

"Approved" probably should include all oils with suitable ZDDP levels, and all SAE grades generally used. It should certainly NOT include those oils with friction modifiers such as moly or graphite.  "Approved" would include any oils, any price, known to work satisfactorily.

"Recommended" would be a subset of "Approved" and would include such factors as cost and ready availability. It might even reduce the number of SAE grades, since Versy's testing seemed to show higher engine temperatures with oils having a 50 as the high number.

Don't forget the most important thing - if it doesn't have a picture of a motorcycle, it can't possibly work.

Don't forget the most important thing - if it doesn't have a picture of a motorcycle, it can't possibly work.LMAO

I think that is a pretty good Idea. Just gotta lock bill out of it so he doesn't scare off any of the newbs to using oils that don't specifically have said pic of a motorcycle on the bottle.  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #73 - 08/02/12 at 10:53:10

Bill has a question .... does a two stroke dirt bike picture count as a motorcycle picture?

How about two stroke snowmobiles?

===================

If you are going to cut to the chase on "Recommended"  --  would you include price per quart in that equation?    I don't think you should have to pay more than $6 a quart for a suitable oil for your Savage.

Grin

You can if you want to, of course.  Heck fire you can pay up to $18 a quart for Royal Purple for all I care.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 08/02/12 at 10:58:21

You do know that if we cook up some good "Recommended" criteria and lock the post with the recommended list on it to keep it from growing a bunch of nonsense comments, we would actually then have a tool for quickly answering newbie oil questions and for killing off any oil wars that crop up spontaneously.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 03:40:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.