Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately? (Read 2454 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in
Reply #75 - 08/02/12 at 11:01:20

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/02/12 at 10:58:21:

You do know that if we cook up some good "Recommended" criteria and lock the post with the recommended list on it to keep it from growing a bunch of nonsense comments, we would actually then have a tool for quickly answering newbie oil questions and for killing off any oil wars that crop up spontaneously.

That it could, but I'm sure bill would still find a way to try and do oil wars somehow Tongue

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" late
Reply #76 - 08/02/12 at 11:15:42

There'll need to be several classification

by ind lab cert
by mfr cert
by user rec
by bill

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #77 - 08/02/12 at 11:17:03

Matter of fact, I DID put both cost and ready availability in the criteria for "Recommended." I don't know where I'd draw the line for cost, particularly with the differences in cost of conventional and synthetic oils. I'd prefer avoiding a whole bunch of lists, though there might be "Recommended Conventional" and "Recommended Synthetic" lists. Ready availability would mean something to the effect of available in Walmart, Autozone, O'Reilly, and the like, and would pretty much exclude those which have to be ordered or purchased from a specialty dealership. You will notice I specifically avoided mentioning brand names.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #78 - 08/02/12 at 11:49:19

This sounds bad (and I am thinking Mobil 1 specifically) but you cannot trust the mgf's certs as some mgf's feel they can change the formulation of an oil at whimsy and simply not tell anybody.

I think several current independent lab tests (readily sourced at BITOG by way of a Google search in this format "oil brand and weight VOC") are more trustworthy than whatever a mgf like Mobil has to say about it.

If you can't find several independent test results, perhaps that indicates an issue with that particular product ....

==============

So, we are down to a quick list of Recommended Dino and Recommended Synthetic oils.  Must be JASO MA rated, must have 1200 PPM of ZDDP or more.  Cost not to exceed (let's be generous here) $8 a quart with the oil to be readily available nationally at Walmart, AutoZone, O'Reilly, Advanced Auto Parts.   Needs to have posted VOA information for users to peruse (mgf data must be supported with independent VOA verifications).  

I think we can forgo the bike pictures on the jugs as we know several contenders don't have any pretty pictures on them big ugly gallon jugs.

Should we also have "a  widespread history of good protection based on list usage" requirement of some sort?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 08/02/12 at 12:41:33

Bill, given the criteria for "SuzukiSavage.com Recommended Dino and Synthetic Oils" as developed so far
do you have any oils that should be included in the list?

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Reply #80 - 08/02/12 at 12:58:03

OF   Hey Uno, perhaps you thought I was kidding -- I wasn't.   Now every post you make will be actively moderated by myself or one of the other mods.    The remainder of your post is fine and remains unchanged.  

You only miss one critical point in what follows, and that is Rotella T and T-6 are not Diesel Oils -- they are HDEO Universal Oils and are fully acceptable for use in gasoline engines.   Other than that, congratulations for finding some though provoking supporting information.

Compression and spark engines are different animals.  What is good for one is not so good for the other and vice versa.  It’s a two edged sword.  While Rotella does a great job in the top end with its Zinc a Dink, the cylinder wall and rings are over cleaned by the massive TBN (total base number) in all diesel formulations.

The next paragraph is not my own, but these guys —

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28576/comparing-gasoline-diesel-engi...

Diesel engine oil has more additives per volume. The most prevalent are overbase detergent additives. This additive has several jobs, but the main ones are to neutralize acids and clean. Diesel engines create a great deal more soot and combustion byproducts. Through blow-by, these find their way into the crankcase, forcing the oil to deal with them. When you put this extra additive load in a gasoline engine, the effects can be devastating to performance. The detergent will work as it is designed and try to clean the cylinder walls. This can have an adverse effect on the seal between the rings and liner, resulting in lost compression and efficiency.

Suffice to said, the vocal minority are correct in saying that diesel motor oil is not that great for our savages.  Of course the lube techs know this too and will not recommend the product for the questioned application.

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #81 - 08/02/12 at 13:15:52

Uno-Lung wrote on 08/02/12 at 12:58:03:
edited out Since moderators edited post it came from.   R.F.

Compression and spark engines are different animals.  What is good for one is not so good for the other and vice versa.  It’s a two edged sword.  While Rotella does a great job in the top end with its Zinc a Dink, the cylinder wall and rings are over cleaned by the massive TBN (total base number) in all diesel formulations.

The next paragraph is not my own, but these guys —

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28576/comparing-gasoline-diesel-engi...

Diesel engine oil has more additives per volume. The most prevalent are overbase detergent additives. This additive has several jobs, but the main ones are to neutralize acids and clean. Diesel engines create a great deal more soot and combustion byproducts. Through blow-by, these find their way into the crankcase, forcing the oil to deal with them. When you put this extra additive load in a gasoline engine, the effects can be devastating to performance. The detergent will work as it is designed and try to clean the cylinder walls. This can have an adverse effect on the seal between the rings and liner, resulting in lost compression and efficiency.

Suffice to said, the vocal minority are correct in saying that diesel motor oil is not that great for our savages.  Of course the lube techs know this too and will not recommend the product for the questioned application.

You can believe the above or put you faith in someone that believes some people think molecules come as big as golf balls and accuse adversaries of using his own links as misdirection.

So I take it from this your saying just because an oil has a high TBN number makes it bad for a gasoline engine?  Does this mean your stance on Amsoil products are crap and shouldn't be used in any gasoline engine period since they have one of the highest TBN numbers of all oils out there? This also applies to most syn oils compared to dino oils as well, as they also have TBN numbers that are much higher then the dino oils they are compared to for the same application.  The additive package also known as the TBN is what helps remove and encapsulate the junk in the oil so that it can be carried to the filtration system in a much more efficient process.  The higher the TBN the longer the oil can last between change intervals unless the oil starts to break down.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #82 - 08/02/12 at 13:24:39

I took a look at the article you pointed us to Uno and there is a paragraph at the end that states....
"So how do you know if an oil has been designed for gasoline or diesel engines? When reading a label, look for the API (American Petroleum Institute) doughnut. In the top section of this doughnut will be a service designation. This designation will either start with an “S” (service or spark ignition) for gasoline engines or a “C” (commercial or compression ignition) for diesel engines."

Well and good. Rotella carries the API designation of CJ-4/SM. Unless I am wrong, SM indicates it meets standards for all modern automobile engines with spark ignition. Even though it may be intended for diesel engines, the SM specification it meets is the same SM specification for oils intended to be used in spark engines.

I would love to see a technical debate on this. However, the key word there is "debate", not argument.

Thanks

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #83 - 08/02/12 at 13:30:28

How much ZDDP does Suzuki motorcycle oil have in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #84 - 08/02/12 at 13:48:17

bill67 wrote on 08/02/12 at 13:30:28:
How much ZDDP does Suzuki motorcycle oil have in it.

That is a very good question Bill,  I can't seem to locate any information on that.  I've done some googleing and can't seem to find any info on Suzuki oil at all regarding it's makup.

R.F.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #85 - 08/02/12 at 14:10:08

Uno-Lung wrote on 08/02/12 at 12:58:03:
While Rotella does a great job in the top end with its Zinc a Dink, the cylinder wall and rings are over cleaned by the massive TBN (total base number) in all diesel formulations.

Exactly the kind of argument I was asking for, thank you.  So what you (and the article) are saying is, the amount of carbon deposits left by the fuel and the amount of detergent in the oil have to be carefully balanced or else you'll lose compression.  I remember hearing that some carbon deposits are good, that a little carbon residue helps with the piston ring/cylinder seal.. so that makes sense.  Also, that is probably why my air compressor specifies 'ND' or 'Non-Detergent' oil.. it simply doesn't make any residue to clean up.  

The oil change interval probably also plays into it.  I wonder if it is actually better to let the oil go long, as OF does, when running a high TBN oil in a gas engine?

I am running Amsoil in a couple of engines and wonder if it is over-cleaning them..  Undecided  Compression does seem good, perhaps it is not as good at it could be.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #86 - 08/02/12 at 14:14:27

Suzuki motorcycle oil is made by shell oil,Shell oil makes motorcycle oil,Now why would you want to use Shell Rotella instead of using their motorcycle oil.Shell Advance is real motorcycle oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #87 - 08/02/12 at 15:38:00

To get kind of back on track:

I've had good results (in highly abused 1998 Savage) with: Castrol GTX 20W50. Rotella 15W40, Delo 15W40, Super Tech (Wal-mart brand) 15W40. Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle 20W50 (only used it once though, was given to me).

I've had lousy results (in the same bike) with: dino or synthetic 10W40, both automotive spec and bike specific formulations. Shifts rough, misses shifts, more noises, vanishing oil... Brand has not mattered. And I've tried some high dollar 10W40s.

My wife Lisa's 1996 VS800 Intruder likes Rotella 15W40 and the old formula Syntec 10W40. Does not like the new Syntec at all. Or ANY of the bike specific brands we've tried (Spectro, Acterra, Valvoline 4 stroke, Amsoil, Klotz). Clutch slips, rough shifting, missed shifts, top end noise, magically vanishing oil...

Try various weights and brands until you find what works best in YOUR bike. No two are exactly the same, especially lower end bikes like the Savage/S40.  When I can go 2 years on HDEO or 4 hours on 10W40 synthetic, I know what I'll keep buying. I got over the "must use bike oils" real quick on the advice of a factory race mechanic. Followed his advice and 14 years later I still have never had to adjust a valve, change the clutch plates or swap the timing chain.

Use the thin stuff if you must. Suzuki parts sales thanks you.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #88 - 08/02/12 at 18:15:55

bill67 wrote on 08/02/12 at 14:14:27:
Suzuki motorcycle oil is made by shell oil,Shell oil makes motorcycle oil,Now why would you want to use Shell Rotella instead of using their motorcycle oil.Shell Advance is real motorcycle oil.

All is quite on the western front Smiley

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #89 - 08/02/12 at 18:20:22

bill67 wrote on 08/02/12 at 14:14:27:

Probably for the same reason I'm going to: Price.

People pay out the nose for bike stuff for some reason. Sorry but no thanks, there's no good reason why I need to pay 3x as much for something just because it's going on/in a bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 16:22:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.