Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately? (Read 2454 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?
07/30/12 at 18:50:09

Soon, folks are gonna start learning about ZDDP levels the hard way ....

The antique valve train in the Savage engine REQUIRES a high ZDDP oil to stay healthy.

Some folks on here lately have been buying second hand bikes from folks who didn't get this message.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" late
Reply #1 - 07/30/12 at 19:11:33

Ill bite, simply cause i have no idea what your talking about haha lets hear whats going on?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in
Reply #2 - 07/30/12 at 19:16:06

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/30/12 at 18:50:09:
Soon, folks are gonna start learning about ZDDP levels the hard way ....

Where'd you get that ZDDP supplement? I was in Autozone the other day looking for the same red-tinted stuff, but all they had was "zinc substitute" type products. Is the real deal easy to find?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/30/12 at 19:19:36

It can be bought off the net if your local auto parts store doesn't carry it.

=======================

Renegade, oils used to have an additive in them at circa 1,000 to 1,200 PPM levels called ZDDP.  It protected flat tappet type valve trains from destroying themselves (all cars around 1980 - 1990 that had overhead cams used flat tappet style valve actuation).

Run forward in time through 30 years and 5 levels of EPA regulations and vola, in 2012 you can only legally have 600 ppm of ZDDP in a normal car oil.    And this is NOT enough ZDDP to protect your Savage's engine and valve train.

This leaves your Savage out in the rain as far as protecting the valve train goes.

Roll Eyes

And vola --- we now have a constant stream of newbies coming here saying "my engine ticks and knocks -- why is that?"

So, where are you going to find enough ZDDP to keep your Savage engine healthy?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 07/30/12 at 19:24:55

Cool, thanks.  I'll look for it.  It was probably right in front of my face and I glossed over it because I didn't expect it to be labeled break-in additive.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/30/12 at 21:19:55

The oils that work well for old bikes - shell rotella T or delo, diesel motor oils. I use SF rated oil Accel 10w40 is my favorite.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/31/12 at 04:04:06

+1 on the Rotella products, they have 1,200 ppm of ZDDP and are motorcycle MA rated right on the jug.

People who use "any old car oil" are buying expensive repairs for themselves -- witness all the bikes being bought slightly used by new owners with all the mysterious "tickings" and "knockings" of late.

Suzuki is dodging this issue by recommending an obsolete SF oil (which 15-20 years ago was still readily available and it DID have enough ZDDP in it back then).  

Now days, straight SF only oils are just about non-existent, and the bottles generally carry a whole bunch of more modern SM and SN designations in front of the SF (which means it honors the modern standards first, not the older ones).  

Check the ZDDP levels in these trick labelled oils, you may get a surprise.

Also check out the new oil watchdog group who is slapping the hands of oil bottlers who lie about their products.

http://www.pqiamerica.com

Interesting that a watchdog group is NEEDED now-a-days, I guess the reason is that people don't know very much about oil any more and they assume "any old car oil" is good enough ..... and they are buying engines because of this lack of knowledge.

=========

Acell 10w40 as sold by WalMart is packaged by Warren Products, same folks who do the SuperTech oils.   Warren meets the specs AS SPECIFIED for any oil they sell -- but read the thread below from Bobistheoilguy for how an obsolete spec can give the bottler more wiggle room than was allowed when the spec was current.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=25598...

If you are buying Acell 10w40 you could be buying Warren Product's SuperTech HDEO Universal 15w40 in a gallon jug for the same price or a little less per quart.  It has all the full modern HDEO additive packages in it so it will outperform a simple F rated oil on many fronts, ZDDP included.

Or you could splurge and buy the motorcycle MA rated Rotella T in the white gallon jug.   That extra dime or so a quart gets you a well known, well respected oil that is WELL KNOWN to properly support your Savage engine.

« Last Edit: 07/31/12 at 05:46:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/31/12 at 05:03:17

I have a local shop that carries Brad Penn oil....and I am going to be switching to that oil.  They have the old Kendall refinery and use Pennsylvania crude oil.....and here is their information on the ZDDP.

The Brad Penn® Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils contain the higher level of anti-wear (ZDDP – zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) and enhanced film strength so critical to proper high performance engine protection. The Penn-Grade 1® oils “typical” 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P) content provide the needed anti-wear protection to critical engine parts, such as piston/cylinder walls, roller cams under heavy valve spring pressure and especially those that employ a solid “flat tappet” type system.

It costs about $ 5.50 a quart for me to purchase locally.  Cheaper than a rebuild I am finding out!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 07/31/12 at 05:15:28

So if I were to put SHELL ROTELLA T oil in the bike would it still need that bottle of ZDDP additive? or is there a sufficeint amount of it in that type of oil?  Huh

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/31/12 at 05:18:36

Do you really think Suzuki is selling oil that isn't any good for the S40,Shame on them Japaneses. The Japaneses and Chinese are the dumbest people in this world.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 07/31/12 at 05:32:55

"Japaneses" ?   Roll Eyes  haha way to show em how us americanses are vastely superior  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 07/31/12 at 05:37:52

Bill, if you can tell us the brand name and bottle ratings for the oil in question, we may be able to find independent testing of it.

But, as always, you just throw out stuff with no knowledge to go behind it at all.

Shoot us a pic of the oil you are talking about so we can see it.

============

Randaman, no additive is needed for Rotella T, it has enough ZDDP in it to keep your engine healthy.

============

Dave has seen/is seeing the sorts of damage that can be caused by low idle speeds and wrong oil -- ask him, he can tell you all about it.

Notice he is carefully looking around to select his next oil for after he puts his repaired engine back together.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 07/31/12 at 05:40:46

Klotz 1400 ZDDP and it made for motorcycles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 07/31/12 at 05:41:44

Only one problem i havent been able to find that Shell Rotella T around here i have a valveline oil in mine at the moment so I'll swing by the auto parts store and see if they have that additive.

do you just pour it right in the oil resvior? if so how much of ?  Huh

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 07/31/12 at 05:44:21

Do they not have Walmarts with Auto departments in Mass.?

I know they have auto parts places like Autozone and Advance Auto Parts.

Ask the clerk where they keep the diesel oil.

===========

ZDDP boosters are expensive, they almost double the cost of an oil change when used with lesser car oils.

For the price of that bottle of booster, you could buy 2+ full oil changes of Rotella T (white gallon jug).

Look again, look for the diesel oil section in wherever you are looking.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 19:06:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.