Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately? (Read 2454 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" late
Reply #45 - 07/31/12 at 21:40:08

Mobil surely seems to have ruined their reputation in recent years. I used to love that stuff...

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #46 - 08/01/12 at 02:19:16

I still do not understand all of this oil controversy.  I have almost 50,000 miles on my 02 and I have never used anything other than Castrol auto oil in my bike. Sometimes I just use the cheap stuff, and yet my bike is running like a clock. No oil leaks, the clutch is still fine and I'm only on my 2nd cam chain which i did not really need to replace at 33,000 miles. I also travel at high speeds, 60 and above for most of my riding. Rode almost 700 miles in one day from Missoula to Portland in one day and my oil was still workin as it should.

IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Reply #47 - 08/01/12 at 04:08:53

Oldfeller is a rotellatard.

Call up the Shell lube tech line and they won't recommend  roteller t for gas motorcycles.

Oh, by the way, I use T6 in my savage -- even through they don't have it on their T banner.  I fixed that.

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #48 - 08/01/12 at 04:52:22

Shell don't recommend Rotella for gas motorcycles Shocked Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in
Reply #49 - 08/01/12 at 06:02:42

Uno-Lung wrote on 08/01/12 at 04:08:53:
Oldfeller is a rotellatard.

Call up the Shell lube tech line and they won't recommend  roteller t for gas motorcycles.

Oh, by the way, I use T6 in my savage -- even through they don't have it on their T banner.  I fixed that.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/tartard/mousemilk.jpg

Wink

Well, you convinced Bill anyway.

Now go convince the 10's of thousands white and blue gallon jugs sitting on shelves all over the USA that the JASO MA & DH-2 approvals (for gas motorcycles) aren't printed on the label along with all the rest of the approvals and certifications .....

..... and convince all these supposedly knowledgeable people that posted in this Google Search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rotella+jaso+ma&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubun...

Part of the etiquette of these little oil discussions is providing PROOF of the things you say.   You can get called out to provide the backup information for your stance, and you are getting called out on this one.

"Call up the Shell lube tech line and they won't recommend  roteller t for gas motorcycles".

Grin    Grin    Grin

I'll help you out some with your position because the Bobistheoilguys discussed the JASO certified vs approved terminology quite thoroughly several times.  

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2647970

There are two ways to get the JASO certification on your bottle, you send them the oil once (to JASO or to a JASO approved lab) and pay them to test it ......

..... or you (preferred in the ISO/TS automotive world) have a ISO/TS/JASO certified lab actually in your producing plant and you continuously report the on-going self-test data that shows that you continuously check for JASO standards and you maintain scrupulous records that you maintain that testing and the results track within the approval specs continuously lot by lot by lot by lot.

Both methods are expensive, but in Shell's case they already do all the testing anyway to maintain that entire long list of approvals and certifications that are listed on the bottle.   So, doing it ISO/TS automotive style actually is a no-brainer to Shell and once the initial paperwork was done to get their lab ISO/TS/JASO approved and to prove to JASO that Shell's existing ongoing test records are enough to show ongoing continuous "approval" to the spec.

Which would you rather have, a one shot deal from 4 years ago that said one shipped in sample of the oil in question met JASO spec, or an ongoing lot by lot data history that says it always meets the spec?  

Don't let the legal terminology that applies to this stuff trip you up too much.    Me, I think I'd prefer what Shell does continuously lot by lot to a 3-4 year old one shot "certification" check.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Anybody noticed the upsurge in Rotella trollings
Reply #50 - 08/01/12 at 20:27:38

You simply amaze me, Oldrotellatard.  People on that 2nd link you provided proved my point.  Just like your link to disprove golf ball sized molecules proved that molecules come it different sizes and was just a golf ball sized stratagem used by a Roteller troll.  You are slick, but not as slick as the product you foam at the mouth about in your lube war threads.  “It’s on the interwebs –- It has to be true!”  

The weasley Shell tech dodged FX4's question in FX4's opinion.  Rotella is a HD diesel motor oil and Shell had not paid their $500.00 and is not “certified” JASO according to your link. The first one sez different. What is it?  The weasel tech would not recommend it, but would warranty the product because Shell tested it and it meets (does not exceed) the performance requirements.  

So you need to ask your Rotella loving self why didn’t the weasel tech and Shell not go for the certification and a recommendation with a simple yes or no answer in the second link.  Like opinions and assholes -- everyone has one, and I think that Rotella was not formulated for gas engines and that is why we have this stand off.  Don’t get me wrong – T6 is a great oil and for the savage app it works, however T6 was not engineered for that purpose and there is a reason Shell will not put their money where your mouth is -- in this case –- Shell’s arse.

Bill is right, and the way you treat him borders on cyber-bulling.  Shell Rotella T is a diesel motor oil that can be use in gasoline engines which compromises it in both apps.  Savages are gasoline powered, do not have the compression of diesel engines or inter-cooled turbo chargers, and are primitive compared to what is burning diesel on the roads today.  Just because you stumbled upon Rotella T does mean it is the best lube to use and all your caterwauling isn’t going to change the fact that it was engineered as a heavy duty diesel engine oil that happens to meet (not exceed gasoline specs).  The mere fact the Suzuki doesn’t recommend the weights Rotella comes in proves that you are experimenting with your unit.  Shame, shame on you, Rotellatroll.

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #51 - 08/01/12 at 21:30:47

All I can say is that ever since I use T-6, my bike has never run better and smoother. The engine never ran more quiet and since almost three years after I switched to it, the valve train does not seem to have any wear, thus checking on the valve gaps, there was nothing to adjust. Still the same as back in the day. I never regretted the switch.I am totally pleased with the results. That's all that matters.
Whether the Android phone is better than the iPhone, or the Blackberry sucks or what oil has to be forced to use on somebody and whether we try to tell the oil companies what their oil is suitable for is so irrelevant as if a sack of rice in China flips over.
I have no idea what is so funny and interesting about trying to upset one another and waste time with immature discussions like that. Picking on each other seems to be the number one sport in the 21st century....OMG...
Let one another be....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in Rotella trollin
Reply #52 - 08/01/12 at 22:16:22

Uno-Lung wrote on 08/01/12 at 20:27:38:
You simply amaze me, Oldrotellatard.  People on that 2nd link you provided proved my point.  Just like your link to disprove golf ball sized molecules proved that molecules come it different sizes and was just a golf ball sized stratagem used by a Roteller troll.  You are slick, but not as slick as the product you foam at the mouth about in your lube war threads.  “It’s on the interwebs –- It has to be true!”  

The weasley Shell tech dodged FX4's question in FX4's opinion.  Rotella is a HD diesel motor oil and Shell had not paid their $500.00 and is not “certified” JASO according to your link. The first one sez different. What is it?  The weasel tech would not recommend it, but would warranty the product because Shell tested it and it meets (does not exceed) the performance requirements.  

So you need to ask your Rotella loving self why didn’t the weasel tech and Shell not go for the certification and a recommendation with a simple yes or no answer in the second link.  Like opinions and assholes -- everyone has one, and I think that Rotella was not formulated for gas engines and that is why we have this stand off.  Don’t get me wrong – T6 is a great oil and for the savage app it works, however T6 was not engineered for that purpose and there is a reason Shell will not put their money where your mouth is -- in this case –- Shell’s arse.

Bill is right, and the way you treat him borders on cyber-bulling.  Shell Rotella T is a diesel motor oil that can be use in gasoline engines which compromises it in both apps.  Savages are gasoline powered, do not have the compression of diesel engines or inter-cooled turbo chargers, and are primitive compared to what is burning diesel on the roads today.  Just because you stumbled upon Rotella T does mean it is the best lube to use and all your caterwauling isn’t going to change the fact that it was engineered as a heavy duty diesel engine oil that happens to meet (not exceed gasoline specs).  The mere fact the Suzuki doesn’t recommend the weights Rotella comes in proves that you are experimenting with your unit.  Shame, shame on you, Rotellatroll.

Now, this is a fine example of .....  personal attack ?? and misdirection ??

Do you think Shell hasn't got the $500 to pay for a one shot test?   They probably paid a lot more than that to get their internal lab ISO/TS/JASO certified and they do pay about $5,000 for each yearly outside ISO/TS/JASO systems audit to prove their quality systems are up to snuff.

Actually, all you have said up top is that you ain't buying any facts that you disagree with that are put before you that backed up by any source you choose not to believe.  (but you believe the parts that you like)

And I had forgotten about your silly golf ball sized molecules, but thanks for reminding us again that Rotella has molecules the size of golf balls and they can't/won't fit in the piston to wall clearance zone.

Cheesy

...and I put my mouth where?   Now for that little tid bit I think you deserve a month in the penalty box where you can ponder the rules on "no personal attacks" that do apply here in Rubber Side Down.

But since you attacked me, personally, I'll let the other mods deal with you this time.  

Wink   Attack me again and I'll do it myself.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

Reply #53 - 08/01/12 at 23:30:42

To change the topic: What's the opinion on Lucas 10W-40 Motorcycle oil?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #54 - 08/02/12 at 03:01:05

Rotella the 3 in 1 oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 08/02/12 at 06:58:16

Not all that much out there on Lucas dino style 10w40 motorcycle oil ..... but there is data on the fully synthetic 0w40 Lucas motorcycle oil though.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2574270

==============

Bill, ya got a nugget of truth in the last one, a HDEO universal oil is sorta like a 3-in-one oil for great big high compression hot nasty sewing machines.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in Rotella trollin
Reply #56 - 08/02/12 at 08:09:31

Uno-Lung wrote on 08/01/12 at 20:27:38:
Shell Rotella T is a diesel motor oil that can be use in gasoline engines which compromises it in both apps.  Savages are gasoline powered, do not have the compression of diesel engines or inter-cooled turbo chargers, and are primitive compared to what is burning diesel on the roads today.  

Well why don't you enlighten us then.  You take the same position as Bill, the position of "It's a DIESEL oil LOL" but never quite get around to explaining what the fuel type has to do with the price of cheese. Sure, on a good day you might rattle off a couple of differences (typical but not necessarily present) between the engine types.

RPM range? So what. There are small diesels that rev higher v8 gas engines.

Deposits from the fuel?  Carbon deposits and acidic combustion products are similar.

Intercooler? Irrelevant. Cars have been built with them and the oil spec is not changed because of them.

Turbochargers?  Many gas powered cars have them. You don't change the engine oil because of it, except to be sure you have an oil that can take high temperatures (probably a synthetic).

High compression? So what. The primary purpose of engine oil is to prevent metal parts from wearing away as they are rubbed together at high pressure. High compression increases that pressure on some parts. Are you saying an oil with the film strength to handle this is a compromise?

Name any characteristic of diesel engines that when considered in the oil, is bad for our motorbike engines. Explain how it is "compromised in both apps" and your post will be suitable for the RSD section.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #57 - 08/02/12 at 09:21:48

Theres oils made for motorcycles they were designed from the ground up for motorcycles,Now if you have a motorcycle thats the oil to use there are many companies that make motorcycle oil.Now hammers were made to drive nails but you can also drive nails with a brick.Theres a smart choice for everything why not use the smarter choice.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #58 - 08/02/12 at 09:43:13

Here is the TDS sheet for Rotella T6 http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T6...

Here is the TDS sheet for Rotella T http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T_...

Both specify the use in Gasoline engines and the Triple Protection one actually mentions motorcycle use in the TDS sheet. Both also show the JASO, MA and DH2 approvals.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 08/02/12 at 09:49:14

Bill, I think you may be missing the main point here.  

The Savage engine has unique needs compared to "motorcycle engines" in general because of our bike's continuing use of antique style flat tappet cam to valve rockers.

If you don't get enough ZDDP in your oil, you can get a case of clicky tappy knocky before too terrible long.

SN grade oils have ONLY HALF of the ZDDP that the Savage engine needs.    And I'll use the Lucas 0w40 motorcycle synthetic mentioned several posts above as a good example of a "motorcycle oil" that is based on a SM or SN grade car oil and it doesn't have half of what your Savage needs.

So, if you can follow the chain of logic, simply saying "use a motorcycle oil" or "use a JASO MA approved oil" isn't enough for the Savage -- it does not address the unique Savage ZDDP requirements for flat tappet use.

It would be nice if Savage redid the head with roller tappets, but I don't think that's gonna help all the bikes built since 1987 (yours and mine included).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:56:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.