Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately? (Read 2454 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" late
Reply #30 - 07/31/12 at 11:51:07

Charon wrote on 07/31/12 at 05:55:10:
I can't remember where I saw the article, so cannot reference it. It claimed that 1200 ppm of ZDDP was an adequate level, and that there was little or no benefit in going for higher levels. If that be true, the advertised levels of 1400 ppm in Klotz (as claimed by Bill) is of no more benefit than the 1200 ppm in the much less expensive Shell Rotella synthetic. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of lubrication systems can clarify it.

Amsoil has 1400 too,but then what do they know. Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in
Reply #31 - 07/31/12 at 15:41:13

Just bought 3 quarts of T and a filter from Wally-weird yesterday for Lisa's 800 Intruder. JASO MA rating is right in the front of the bottle. Since she has made the mistake of thinking her bike takes premium fuel (since 1999), I expect to be changing the oil and filter frequently. Heavy duty oils pull a lot of excess carbon out of your engine. They are designed for it, de-coking an engine keeps it running cooler, longer.

Doesn't have to be Rotella. Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, whatever flavor Tractor Supply now carries, NAPA (crappa) diesel spec... You want a good heavy duty truck, tractor oil in a primitive engine. Other than the CDI box the Savage engine is a 1930s design. Save all the fancy synthetic this, specialty that for bikes with a high enough powerband to require $10 or more per quart additives.

It's a Briggs rototiller engine on steroids. Even crappy old ND 30 works fine in it.

If you trust the engineers to have gotten it right... they don't ride. They don't care.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #32 - 07/31/12 at 17:06:40

Oldfeller, what is your take on Mobil one 15/50 synthetic??

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 07/31/12 at 17:31:06

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2384725

Let me synopsize what the Bob boys had to say:

First, it is fairly good car oil for its weight, which is a bastard weight halfway between 15w40 and 20w50.

The SM version of it was a better oil than the current SN version.  

This also points out that Mobil 1 will apparently make abrupt changes in an oil without saying anything to anybody -- buyer beware of Mobil1 in this aspect, you may not get what you just thought you bought.

==============

Now for my question to you
--- why do you want to buy a friction modifier type car oil of a weight that isn't specified for your motorcycle's engine and wet clutch?  

Especially from Mobil1 who likes to stick in moly (yep, it's in there at 81 ppm) and other energy star type items in there at whimsy whenever they change the oil on you without telling you?

Just curious ....     (you must like them real "Mobile" slippy clutch plates)     Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #34 - 07/31/12 at 17:39:39

I think we can safely summarize by saying if the container doesn't have JASO MA on it, don't use it.

I was recently at a Yamaha dealership, which had a big "SALE" table on the floor. They had a lot of quart containers of a Yamaha branded oil out there on sale. Looked pretty good, except the oil didn't have the MA rqating. Apparently that oil was for their four-wheelers, which do not have a wet clutch. Their floor people were at a loss when I asked them about the MA label.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #35 - 07/31/12 at 17:53:19

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/31/12 at 17:31:06:

Now for my question to you
--- why do you want to buy a friction modifier type car oil of a weight that isn't specified for your motorcycle's engine and wet clutch?  

Cheesy

Thanks for the quick reply Oldfeller! I have used it since day one in the 05 Toyota Matrix which now has 113000 miles and is all stock except tires and spark plugs. Amazing car and purrs like a kitten. I have heard grumblings about not using synthetics in a wet clutch because of slipping. But, up until my 87 savage I have always used Mobil1 and never had any slipping in many a bike. That being said, It appears I would be well served to switch to Rotella in the Savage. Any recommendations on weight and type of Rotella?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #36 - 07/31/12 at 18:36:13

My bike has 5k miles on it and it ticks when it gets hot. I use suzki 10-40 4cycle motorcycle oil . I'm thinking of adding the zddp additive. It doesn't say anything about it on the oil bottle . How much additive  should I add to the oil.Thanks!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 07/31/12 at 19:05:36

87 Savage, if you like synthetic oil, get Rotella T-6 in the blue jug.   Both Verslagen and I use it and get good results from it.

T-6 is a full synthetic rated at 5w40
.   This means it doesn't get thick when it gets cold (oil gets up to the head quickly when you crank up) and it doesn't thin out when it gets hot.

And hot, with T-6 can get very very hot with no issues.  T-6 can get up in the 450-500 degree range before degrading seriously and a Savage engine simply can't figure out a way to get that hot.   Very very hot to a Savage is in the 350-400 degree range.   This isn't going to give T-6 a tickle, much less hurt it any.

=====================

rl153,  instead of popping $17 to buy the booster, why don't you pay $12.99 for a gallon at Walmart and get you some dino Rotella T in the big white jug.   You have been using a dino oil from Suzuki that costs a lot more and you just haven't been getting the ZDDP you need from it.

Read this and understand it is saying the Suzuki branded oil is nothing special at all and it is sub-par to any of the HDEO products like Rotella.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1413474

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #38 - 07/31/12 at 19:11:00

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/31/12 at 19:05:36:

87 Savage, if you like synthetic oil, get Rotella T-6 in the blue jug.   Both Verslagen and I use it and get good results from it.

Thanks Oldfeller I'll give it a try. Just about done my engine rebuild and I have to buy oil soon anyway.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #39 - 07/31/12 at 19:14:16

alright ,i'm convinced, wheres the best place to buy the s40 oil filter online? Is rottella T 15-40?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #40 - 07/31/12 at 19:28:06

rl153 wrote on 07/31/12 at 19:14:16:
alright ,i'm convinced, wheres the best place to buy the s40 oil filter online?

OF, last weekend I took my wife on a 30 mile ride to Eufaula's Whole Hog Days. I kept it pretty much at 75mph the whole way. Temperature was 110 with a heat index of 122. By the time we got there, the bike felt really really hot, so much that the kick stand was going out pretty rough even though I greased it not long ago. I just changed oil a week ago and of course put T6 in there again.

What do you think how hot it really got?  Was T6 at or even over the limit?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #41 - 07/31/12 at 19:29:21

rl153 wrote on 07/31/12 at 19:14:16:
alright ,i'm convinced, wheres the best place to buy the s40 oil filter online? Is rottella T 15-40?

I usually get mine at Bike Bandit.

BTW, is there no other alternative than the Suzuki filter to buy online or at the stealership?

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #42 - 07/31/12 at 19:53:16

I'm going with the Rotella T-6, they sell it right up at the corner advanced auto parts ,for $24 a gallon.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #43 - 07/31/12 at 21:22:40

Get your filters online from JC Whitney. Same EMGO filter the dealership uses in their service bays. Trust me, the Honda/Yamaha/Polaris/Suzuki dealer used to buy then by the caseload from the shop I worked at. $4.95 or so versus $10.95 for the oem (priced them today, won't be going back there).

Or send Kimchris a pm and see when she is making a Bent run (she'll know what you mean). Shipping would be a lot cheaper. That shop has hundreds of them in stock.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #44 - 07/31/12 at 21:25:30

As far as Mobil 1, Lisa drove her 85 Celica GT-S from Memphis to Seattle back in 2001 when we moved. 50+ mpg but the cam was flat by the time we got there. $2000 dollars worth of engine damage by the time all the metal dust had worked its "magic".

So we don't even look at Mobil oils anymore.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:24:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.