Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately? (Read 2454 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in
Reply #180 - 08/07/12 at 17:51:12

Didn't think you were knocking on it, I was also saying it was worth looking at.

Issue remains with the SF and the SG and the SH is that these standards did not call out a minimum amount of ZDDP at all -- just a maximum amount.

Also, the SF standard is obsolete and is not enforced by ANYONE any more.   Warren Petroleum (makers of Walmart SuperTech) is reputable though, and they meet whatever the standards are when they exist.   So what is the standard that exists for SF since API doesn't use it or enforce it or even publish it any more?

Warren apparently can publish "SF specs" and then adhere to them.

And, what are these claims?   Here they are, 850 ppm zinc, 720 phosphorous.   They might exceed it, but they won't ever put in less.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/upload/saved/Accel_1_PCMO_SpecSheet.pdf

====================

Wink

Now, let's talk about good sounding advertising claims and motor oil a little bit.   Not much, just a little.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June2012/maxiguardjune2012.html

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #181 - 08/07/12 at 18:22:31

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/07/12 at 17:51:12:

Now, let's talk about good sounding advertising claims and motor oil a little bit.   Not much, just a little.

Holy smoke! Talk about crap oil. Sure looks like is is at least partially used oil. I've seen that stuff in stores in the past but it was always bottom shelf in the bargain basement or surplus stores so luckily I never bought any.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #182 - 08/07/12 at 18:23:06

OF ,my bike has been running for 6 years (5k mi) with too low a level of ZDDP ,and ticks when hot . Do you think irreversable damage has been done by this? By the way I changed the oil to rotella T-6 today, I think it runs slightly quieter altho still ticks . Thanks

« Last Edit: 08/08/12 at 12:10:03 by rl153 »  
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #183 - 08/07/12 at 20:53:50

87 savage wrote on 08/07/12 at 18:22:31:

Holy smoke! Talk about crap oil. Sure looks like is is at least partially used oil. I've seen that stuff in stores in the past but it was always bottom shelf in the bargain basement or surplus stores so luckily I never bought any.

No kidding! That stuff is only good for pouring it over wooden fence posts in the pasture to keep them from rotting away!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #184 - 08/07/12 at 20:56:00

====================

Wink

Hrmm,  might send a few cases of that to my ex wife  Cool

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" late
Reply #185 - 08/08/12 at 16:29:43

Ah, engine oil for the poor saps still running slant 6 Mopars. I've been known to top off my 318 powered truck with the stuff drained from the bikes. Or bar oil. Or gear oil. Or whatever else I can grab easily when it starts clattering.

You can run any grade of generic garbage oil in an old Dodge. You know... Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere... Wink

Kinda like my Savage.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #186 - 08/14/12 at 16:59:06

rl153 wrote on 08/07/12 at 18:23:06:
OF ,my bike has been running for 6 years (5k mi) with too low a level of ZDDP ,and ticks when hot . Do you think irreversable damage has been done by this? By the way I changed the oil to rotella T-6 today, I think it runs slightly quieter altho still ticks . Thanks

I second this question.  As a newbie, could someone describe how loud the ticking is and whether it gets louder with higher RPMs.  Basically, how do we identify this ticking and has irreversible damage been done if we hear it?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #187 - 08/14/12 at 21:52:51

Think of it of being about the same as valve noise, except it is persistent and does not go away when you adjust the valves.

It gets louder with time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #188 - 09/01/12 at 16:21:07

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/14/12 at 21:52:51:

Think of it of being about the same as valve noise, except it is persistent and does not go away when you adjust the valves.

It gets louder with time.

Until when?  Count me among the n00bs who has ticking after the valve adjustment.  What will fix it?  New oil?  New valves?  New engine?

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #189 - 09/01/12 at 18:03:12

You guys are worrying too much...
Ticking is going to sound different depending on,... how close you hold your head, your hearing, how loud yer' muffler is, what helmet you wear, whether you have a windshield, if the chrome covers are still on, temp,... and finally, how much you worry about it...

Don't worry... use decent oil, adjust vales to speck...  if there is any damage, you can't undo it,.. so just enjoy riding and fuggetaboutit...
A big, air-cooled thumper is going to make some noise,.. ticking,.. and it will change depending on a hundred different things...

That said,.. if it sounds like two insane chipmunks beating each other up with hammers,.. you probably have a problem...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Reply #190 - 09/02/12 at 15:55:48

I see this exercise in futility is back on the first page again, even after my self-imposed month off these boards.

OF   Take another month off for this post,   and after doing so good for so long ....

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #191 - 09/02/12 at 16:35:31

Did you notice they don't have Klotz and Rotella oil in those charts,The chart doesn't go high enough for Klotz and not low enough for Rotella.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #192 - 09/02/12 at 17:11:56

OF, put Uno-Lung post back on here it was a good oil post and you took it off.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 17:25:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.