Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately? (Read 2454 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in
Reply #165 - 08/06/12 at 06:44:22

You can run premium oil 2-3 times as long so it doesn't cost anymore.If you are cheap.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" late
Reply #166 - 08/06/12 at 07:23:22

Bill,

Our air cleaner systems and oil filtration systems aren't good enough for running the same sump of oil for that long.  

Silica (fine dust particles) builds up in our oil to the point we have to dump it out yearly just to get the silica out of the engine.   People who run these dry cone style filters may need to do it more often (dry cones pass more fine dust particles than the stock filter does).

We don't even put a nick in the add packs for Rotella or any of the rest of the oils that do have enough ZDDP in them to keep our cams and tappets happy.   We don't run them long enough.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #167 - 08/06/12 at 17:08:23

Glad there's another oil war, I was getting bored from all this college studying crap...

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #168 - 08/06/12 at 17:27:49

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/06/12 at 07:23:22:
Silica (fine dust particles) builds up in our oil to the point we have to dump it out yearly just to get the silica out of the engine.   People who run these dry cone style filters may need to do it more often (dry cones pass more fine dust particles than the stock filter does).

Speaking of air filters, I understand that whatever gets by the air filter and doesn't get carried out in the exhaust ends up in the oil, and eventually the oil filter. Given that, what does everybody consider to be the best oil filter (and air filter) choice.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #169 - 08/06/12 at 17:51:23

Stock air filter is restrictive and robs hp, but it does a good job of catching everything but the very finest kind of dust.   This passes through and makes it into your oil, but is not stopped by your oil filter (way way smaller than 10 microns which is all the oil filter says it will always stop)

Now these stock air filters do get plugged up and require a reverse blow out with an air gun every 6 months.  Eventually they get plugged up and then they cost you like $39.00 dollars to replace now-a-days.

K&N makes a 1/4" thick thin oiled cotton mesh trapped inside screening sort of folded filter that fits in the same space for $49.00 that requires cleaning and re-oiling every six months or so.   Oiled filters work better, but a 1/4" filter has very little carrying capacity so they get dry and start to pass all sorts of stuff, being only 1/4" thick and really really dependent on that oil to work correctly.

Oiled media filters have a better chance of catching really fine dust than any other sort of filter media, so I made myself up one with a 2" thick compressed poly-fiber mesh which is coated in thick oil which can run for like 2 years before requiring attention and even then it only gets dirty less than half way through the thickness.

This gives me improved air filtration and is still low air resistance compared to a stock filter.   Here is the tech tread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183640744

Improved oil filtration requires you to remove sub micron sized ferrous wear particles to keep them from recirculating in the oil.   Oil filters that can do this fine sub-micron job are expensive and they plug up fairly quickly.  So I went a different way to achieve the same goal.   Here is that tech thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1197231468

===============

Based on these improvements in very fine dust air filtration and super fine oil ferrous particle trapping I have no issues with running T-6 from one year to the next on my bike.    

I still can't stomach going any longer than a calender year, I jest can't bring myself to do it.   I know I can, I just really don't want to.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #170 - 08/07/12 at 10:10:08

Which Mobil 1 statement is the lie this time .....

"Reformulated .... new and improved .... improved protection ....."

or the statements in the FAC #3

Why did you change the name of Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 to Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40? Is the product formulation different?

Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 was renamed because the product is known as Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 outside the US.  Be assured that no changes to the Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 formulation occurred during this name change. Same great product, new name.

Now, we understand damage control and Mobil 1 has certainly done itself some damage with this surprise brand and bottle reformulation change up.  

There is obviously a pre-existing European product called Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40, so if you are using the specs for that European product based product then you are selling the stuff off the European regulatory bodies, not the USA API based standards.   Or else you are selling two different products out of the same name and same bottle .....

Or else mebbe you are Billshutting us all yet again ....

Miss Clarol, only your hairdresser knows for sure ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #171 - 08/07/12 at 10:19:40

So far the Recommended list stands at:

(pricing comes from Walmart)

Dino        -- Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40                $12.99 a gallon  
                                                                                        ($3.25 a quart)

Synthetic -- Rotella T-6 5W40                              $21.99 a gallon
                                                                           ($5.50 a quart)

Mobil 1 reformulated itself, the new oil has yet to be VOA tested
Synthetic -- Mobil 1 Motorcycle Racing 4T 10W-40            $ 9.97 a quart
Synthetic -- Mobil 1 Motorcycle V-Twin 20W-50                   $ 9.97 a quart

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #172 - 08/07/12 at 10:58:42

OF Suzuki does not recommend 5w40 in the S40==== OF get out your LS650 Suzuki owner's manual.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #173 - 08/07/12 at 11:43:50

Back in 1987, Suzuki didn't say anything at all about synthetic oils because other than the very early Mobil 1 PAO formulations the synthetics weren't broadly available yet.

5w40 Rotella T-6 is well known here on the list, most of your Mod staff use it and quite a few of your regular posters.   It is a JASO MA oil.

If you are afraid of the synthetic weight's first number (which simply says it flows better than dino can when it is very cold outside) then by all means use the dino Rotella T.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #174 - 08/07/12 at 11:53:30

My Suzuki's owners manual was printed in 2005 not 1987.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #175 - 08/07/12 at 12:08:25

That's nice, mine was printed in '02 and they still say the same thing they did in '87 -- recommend a API SF oil, etc.    Same oil grade chart is in all of them that shows 10w40 being recommended for all seasons with the 20w50 weight catching some low temperature ranges where you shouldn't use it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #176 - 08/07/12 at 12:31:39

If you want an "SF" grade oil, I might have found one. I went to the Walmart in Hastings, NE, yesterday just to look around at their oils. I looked mostly at the 10W-40 grades. I found an oil sold under the brand "Accel" put out by a Warren company with an Omaha address. This oil is sold as meeting SF specs, and specifically says on the bottle it is for cars made no later than 1988. Only the 10W-40 grade made this claim. No mention of JASO MA, nor of ZDDP. I didn't make specific note of the price, but it was in line with other conventional oils.

While I was looking around, a clerk came by and asked if I had found what I came for. I told him I was looking for JASO MA, and he said the only oils they had were the two Rotella oils.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #177 - 08/07/12 at 12:32:54

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/mc_oil.html#Oil1101

This set of pages is a very good overview of what is happening to motorcycle oils and it seems to be both current and well maintained.

Go up to the top and start at BASIC and read through INTEMEDIATE then you will have the basis to understand ADVANCED.

This is a cut from ADVANCED

BRANDS CHANGING OIL SPECS UNNOTICED
  Several of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers sell their own "house" brand of oil through their dealer networks. In some cases, these house brands have recently been reformulated to API SJ and/or API SL, which may not be compatible with your motorcycle (specifically, if your motorcycle engine calls for API SH or earlier, such as an API SF/SG rating). Suzuki brand motor oil is a perfect example; their standard 10w40 formulation recently changed from being API SF/SG to being an API SL-rated oil, which is thus unsuitable for most older bikes, and even some of Suzuki's newest models (such those which are air-cooled and/or air-oil cooled - such as '00 - '05 Bandit 600, and '98 - '05 Katana 600 & 750 engines).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #178 - 08/07/12 at 14:16:14

Charon,

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2559814

I wouldn't knock on it -- it has better specs than Suzuki Brand 10W40 motorcycle oil has right now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #179 - 08/07/12 at 17:06:43

OF, I was neither knocking nor praising the Accel oil. I was simply pointing out its existence. It is the first oil I have seen with a self-proclaimed "SF" rating, and as such I thought it might be of interest.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:09:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.