Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Send Topic Print
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately? (Read 2454 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in
Reply #135 - 08/04/12 at 18:14:36

And, as mgf by mgf shows up BS'ing the purchasing public, you begin to understand why new consumer oil watchdog groups have sprung up over the last 5 years that are routinely testing consumer oils now.

BITOG watches oil like a hawk.   They routinely debunk Mobil 1 products as the colors of the caps keep changing (reformulated yet again, I am afraid).

BITOG and every trucker forum and most motorcycle forums watch Rotella products like a hawk too.   If Rotella changes, you WILL hear about it.

Shell gets threating letters about them changing Rotella, ever.   Folks like it the way it is ..... leave it alone.

Real problem here is OUR GOVERNMENT -- playing in areas where they know not, nor care not, what the real world effects of their eco-crazy rules will be.

Now, if I were Valvoline, would I want to admit I was shipping a government neutered product as a motorcycle oil?    Hell no.

Do you begin to get a flavor of what you are up against when you go out to buy motorcycle oil locally?

« Last Edit: 08/05/12 at 13:18:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" late
Reply #136 - 08/04/12 at 18:56:12

I'm just glad I made the switch to T-6.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #137 - 08/04/12 at 19:04:08

And what the dickens is the link up between Valvoline and Lucas ???

You search Valvoline in BITOG and half the results that pop up are Lucas test results?

Anybody got any clue here?

===========================

Looks like Shell has bought both Quaker State, Pennzoil and Jiffy Lube.
Ashland Oil has bought up Valvoline and a whole bunch of the other smaller names are all being snapped up now by the big guys in a big assed buying frenzy ....  

this is gonna get confusing pretty durn quick I do believe.    

Your VOA results from more than 2 years ago might be dubious at this stage as our "normal" competitive oil brands are gonna become just a bottle swap on the same bottling lines.  

These oil companies keep buying each other and consolidating their production facilities, so no wonder your XX brand oil suddenly starts to look like YY brand (because it is).

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/ashland-inc-history/

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000062742.cfm

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #138 - 08/04/12 at 22:24:58

As long as they leave my Rotella alone,, Ill keep smilin,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #139 - 08/05/12 at 06:42:17

I noticed the date on the item about Shell buying Pennzoil/Quaker State was from 2002, ten years ago. Presumably that has long since happened.

I have seen a lot on this forum about the flat-tappet needs of the Savage/S40. Other boards have discussions about the same problems of older cars and trucks. I haven't looked for discussions about other motorcycles. But I notice there are lots of other motorcycles with similar valve actuations. All have cams operating rockers, or pushrods, or directly operating the valves. I don't believe very many have rollers running on the cams. I'd have to assume the problems caused by the lack of ZDDP would be quite widespread in the motorcycling industry as well. We might see lot of older - and even current - motorcycle engines not lasting much longer.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #140 - 08/05/12 at 07:32:18

Ok Old feller, I have to play devil's advocate here. Smiley This thread has been very interesting and entertaining. And while It is obvious by your comments that you have done your homework on this subject, I have to agree with Charon and Rtf2003 that we should have a 2 part list with different criteria for each. Although I am sure there are many folks who change their oil on a last minute whim and need to find a good oil quick, if someone is going through the trouble of consulting our list I believe that is a buyer who will take whatever measures he/she needs to get the oil they feel is best for the bike.
I also believe that not everyone is comfortable using a perceived  "diesel" oil in their bike. Now don't get me wrong, I went right out and bought a jug of T6 based on your recommendation because I  recognize that it is a superior product and that is what is important to me. But, for the guy that insists the jug says "Motorcycle Oil" on it, Rotella doesn't cut it. So, I agree, we should have an "Approved list" AND a "Recommended" list. Let the Bike owner decide if he wants to buy it at Wally world or online.
My last point is back to Valvoline. I probably wont be able to convince you to put it on your list because the list criteria is so narrow as to only include Rotella and Mobil1. And based on your comments about Mobil1 it seems you allow it on the list begrudgingly. Smiley Nonetheless, Valvoline "Motorcycle oil does meet JASO test criteria. Does contain ZDDP although not to the level you have deemed sufficient. And the full line of dino, blended, and full synthetic IS available locally at Napa.
If we are really trying to make a list of oils that a "newbie" could check to see what was a suitable oil to put in his/her Suzy, than Valvoline is definately good enough to be on it IMHO. Again,Oldfeller, thanks for starting this post as it got me researching and when you research you learn. Feedback anyone? Roll Eyes

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #141 - 08/05/12 at 07:43:51

OF thinks that no one on SuzukiSavage ever went past 2nd grade the way he's doing this thing. One thing he for got. If it don't come in a blue or white jug it out.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #142 - 08/05/12 at 07:47:44

Honda single cam forum would represent the largest forum for the oldest flat tappet bikes, the sandcast CB 750 would be the oldest bike there.

http://forums.sohc4.net/

====================

My mind keeps drifting back to Valvoline.   Does Valvoline represent the current norm of "motorcycle oils" with no more than 1,100 ppm of ZDDP in it?   This use of calcium and magnesium (which used to be thought of as "detergents") is it really any good as an anti-wear agent?  There ARE calcium based add packs that are becoming more commonly used in car oils --- are they effective in flat tappet Suzuki Savage engines?  

So many questions about my search yesterday into Valvoline.  I have lots of Used Oil data I could go look at, but that is used oil so your ZDDP ppm is partially depleted.

I see you found Valvoline in stock at a NAPA store.   That's good.  

No, I didn't grudgingly accept Mobil 1, I just don't trust it to stay the same for very long (with good reason).   I listed the Vtwin stuff but WD was the one to point out the energy star stuff that is still in it.

As far as listing "all the various bike oils" -- forget it.   May as well not even have a recommended list.   Most of them, you can't get them locally when you need them.   The intent for this list is to give a newbie a place to go to get a good oil right now just as easily as getting whatever wrong car stuff he has been using.  We want to do this in order to keep him from hurting his bike's engine by using the wrong oils.

Oh well, it is Sunday Morning August 5th, I think I'll go watch my DVR'd Olympics from last night for an hour or so.  

Then I am going to get on my Savage and go look at the motorcycle oil sections at Advanced, Autozone, O'Reillys, and Wally to see what is actually there any more.   They gots to be selling something for a motorcycle oil .....

« Last Edit: 08/05/12 at 10:42:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #143 - 08/05/12 at 08:59:08

While oil is a touchy subject in any forum...
from what I can gleam, they don't recommend blue jug, but do white jug.
There seems to be issues with synthetics and the old bikes.

And when you go and make your list of ready available, on the whim oil change, oils, include the methods for getting all of the old oil out due to possible compatibility issues.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #144 - 08/05/12 at 10:29:09

I'm Back ....

My local Wally Supercenter has deleted it's motorcycle oil display space completely and "no longer carry motorcycle oils".   Ain't that a kick, but it is in line with Wally's online system.  You can order it, but they don't stock it (except for Rotella products and I think that was accidental, not on purpose as the jugs are sitting with the main gallon jugs of oil, just like always)

Autozone still has a motorcycle oil display that contains the old bottles of Castrol 4T Motorcycle (dino) in 10w40 and 20w50 with a service API listing SH and SG.   JASO marked, no claims for ZDDP listed.   $6.99 a quart.

Autozone also carries Valvoline Motorcycle 4 stroke (dino) in 10w40 and 20w50 with a service API listing SF, SG and SJ .   JASO marked, no claims for ZDDP listed.   $5.99 a quart.

Autozone also carries the old Mobil 1 motorcycle product line for $9.99 a quart.

Yup, Mobil 1 is changing up the bike oils yet again
-- which one of you guys went and changed your underwear ???

Advanced Auto Parts had a motorcycle oil section containing the exact same dino oils as Autozone, but with additional oils added to the mix.  

These were Valvoline 4T Racing synthetic in 10w40 and 20w50 rated "Exceeds API Services SJ/SG/SF" and is JASO MA rated.  $9.88 a quart.

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T which is a synthetic that "Exceeds API SL" and is JASO MA rated.  $9.99 a quart.

And they had the NEW and IMPROVED Mobil 1 Racing 4T which has been "reformulated and improved" yet again.  This new black bottle is in 10w40 and 20w50 and you struggle to read what API grades the new bottle claims to honor as the print is very very small.   But it is NEW and IMPROVED yet again .....

So Advanced has a better selection of bike oils than Autozone.

O'Reilly was different, they showcased Lucas motorcycle oil products which get terrible terrible reviews on BITOG.  They also carried the same Castrol and Mobil 1 products that Advanced Auto Parts did, so they did have some relatively better bike oil for the more knowledgeable to buy.   BUT, they had the Lucas dino and synthetics showcased and priced a buck cheaper, so I would think they have a special arrangement with Lucas of some kind.

=====================

What did I learn from my little day trip to bike oil land?

Bike oils are now quoting the old SF, SG, SH and SJ standards so you have to guess once again how much ZDDP they actually carry inside them.   The oil manufacturers are only listing specs on what they want you to know, and ZDDP isn't apparently something you should know.

Bike oils are constantly churning the bottles, the names and the associated claims.   Independent VOA analysis isn't keeping up with the churn, it lags behind helplessly.

The fact O'Reilly is showcasing Lucas motorcycle oil products scares the hummy out of me -- that is some sorry sorry oil once you look at the VOA and UOA data on BITOG (way way puny like a SM SN car oil).

Who has a ZDDP content listing for the various API grades?   I know the SF-SJ are obsolete grades, but some data as to ZDDP content back then must still exist (although when you list them all up through SJ you get to go as low as 1,000 ppm because SJ was when the lowering began)

==========================

Now, how far do you want to lower our SuzukiSavage Recommended ZDDP level ???

Pick now, before we go through all these new bottles and new API claims because some of them are going to be a lot less than 1,200 ppm of ZDDP.  

And conversely, the racing motorcycle stuff might well be higher ....

..... we can hope, anyway        Wink

« Last Edit: 08/05/12 at 17:02:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #145 - 08/05/12 at 11:08:30

Getting ready for the great debate, here is some of the history on ZDDP in the older obsolete API service grades.

Gasoline motor oil history:

API service classification SH motor oils were the last gasoline motor oils without minimum phosphorus level regulation.† Phosphorus/Zinc levels in these old oils ranged from 1400 to 1600 ppm and provided good anti-wear protection.
 OF  But it was market driven/voluntary, as there was no enforced minimum ZDDP API  requirement at that time.

In 1997, the API first regulated Phosphorus levels in gasoline engine oils to a maximum 1000 ppm for API service classification SJ.†

The most current API service classification for gasoline oil is SM, and was implemented in 2004.† The API requires a minimum phosphorus level for SM motor oils of 600 ppm and a maximum of 800 ppm.

Whee doogies !!!

Now, commonly when you multi-list API specs on an oil, the most modern grade rules.  So, a potential dirty trick on the bike oil front is to list say, SJ/SG/SF and then give them an oil that meets 1,000 ppm ZDDP as that is "legal" for the oil given the SJ is the most current grade listed.   Ain't that a kick !!!

So, lets do a Billspeak translation of a SJ/SG/SF API spec range.

SF & SG had no minimum ZDDP requirement listed in their specs.   SJ did have a maximum ZDDP spec of 1,000 ppm.   So, 1,000 ppm of ZDDP OR SOMEWHAT LESS does technically meet all the requirements of SJ/SG/SF.  

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Now, how much ZDDP is actually in there -- you will have to wait for somebody to post an actual VOA to find out.

===============

For another example, let's Billspeak the claims for Castrol Power RS Racing 4T synthetic oil.

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T which is a synthetic that "Exceeds API SL" and is JASO MA rated.

Duh, it has more than 800 ppm of ZDDP and it passes the clutch slip testing required by JASO ??

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Simply Marvellous !!!  as Billy Crystal would say

Having seen the current crop of bike oils and seen the bright fresh new bottles with the new API claims, I remain dubious about most of them because of the Billspeak on the labeling.  

Please dig up a current VOA if you want to include one of these oils on the list.

« Last Edit: 08/05/12 at 13:26:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #146 - 08/05/12 at 14:04:37

Well Oldfeller, I am going to have to back you on the Wally world oil isle. I was just at Walmart with the wife and mosied over to the auto dept. Sure as heck not one bottle or jug of motorcycle oil of any brand to be had! Although a buddy of mine 1/2 hr from me in a bigger town says they have a few left in his Walmart. Maybe it is a seasonal thing? The Walmarts up here in Maine seem to change the oil isle around as often as Mobil reformulates their oil. Grin So if one were to go to shop for appropriate oil for the Savage (around here anyway) you would have 3 choices: 1)Rotella T, 2)Rotella T6, or 3) Go to an auto parts store.

Speaking of auto parts stores, was this a backdoor endorsement for Castrol??   Huh

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/05/12 at 10:29:09:

They also carried the same Castrol and Mobil 1 products that Advanced Auto Parts did, so they did have some decent bike oil for the more knowledgeable to buy.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #147 - 08/05/12 at 15:27:51

87, I think Wally just decided they didn't sell enough to dedicate the shelf space to holding 4 different kinds of motorcycle oil through the holiday seasons -- but you are right, early next spring the motorcycle oil space may well return.

Pick which one of the new bottle crew you like and dig up a VOA on it.   I'm gonna go for Castrol Power RS Racing 4T and see what I can find.

==============   3/4 hour later   ===============

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T  has absolutely NO voa or uoa information anywhere.  

It will take a while, 6 months at least ......

(and for Castrol to leave the bottle alone that long)

.... for some voa/uoa data to accumulate.

Castrol's MSDS sheets show no information on ZDDP other than it is in the oil at some amount level.

Castrol makes no detailed or competitive claims for their Power RS Racing 4T oil as far as what's in it whatsoever.    It is a closed book.

=================================

Wink   Check the BITOG voa data on Lucas motorcycle oils and you will understand my point.  

An unknown mebbe dubious Valvoline or Castrol is miles and miles up on a completely known to be butt ugly & totally sorry Lucas oil product.   One you wonder about, the other you COMPLETELY KNOW is just a sorry SM/SN car oil in disguise.

« Last Edit: 08/05/12 at 18:07:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #148 - 08/05/12 at 15:54:29

Im lazy, I  know, Im not reading this super carefully, but so far, what Im getting is,, Rotella T, white jug, is the oil for me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #149 - 08/05/12 at 16:37:12

Is it true once you go synthetic you can't go back?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 20:49:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.