Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th (Read 977 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to
Reply #75 - 05/29/18 at 11:46:37

Thanks for remembering, Dave.  

Yep, Uncle Jack used to man the campground at Moccasin Creek on Lake Burton: https://gastateparks.org/MoccasinCreek.  It is about 15 miles down to Unicoi State Park where the restaurant is: http://www.unicoilodge.com/dining/unicoi-restaurant/

He actually went up there about two weeks ago at age 96 and said that the restaurant has changed a bit and dinner can be pricey (Fri and Sat are $20), but we can just play it by ear and if we are hungry enough at lunch (cheaper) we can plan that into our route.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #76 - 05/29/18 at 16:34:20

Best I can figure :  I can ride there the 4th and ride home the 9th and still make all my obligations .

That "Roads and Rides" page has a lot of stuff !  Shocked

« Last Edit: 05/29/18 at 20:44:26 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #77 - 05/29/18 at 18:49:07

MMRanch wrote on 05/29/18 at 16:34:20:
That "Roads and Rides" page has a lot of stuff !  Shocked

It could be that the Suches area is one we come back to every year or two.  The first year Oldfeller and I went through the area we were a bit disappointed......we missed some of the really good roads to ride, places to explore, and places to eat.

When MM and Stewmills and I rode through the area last year we were dodging a big thunderstorm east of Clayton - unfortunately another storm had rolled through Suches and soaked everything.....it was just too wet to stay and explore. (However we did find Booger Hollow).

« Last Edit: 05/30/18 at 03:30:30 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #78 - 05/31/18 at 08:12:46

So....the weather forecast for Mon/Tues looks really good, Wed/Thu/Fri is likely to have some rain around somewhere....and then Sat is good.  (We know it is still likely to change a bit.

I am currently planning to arrive Sunday around 8PM so that I can be riding on Monday.  If any of you want to arrive and help set up the tent Sunday night let me know - if not I will sleep in my trailer and wait to put up the tent when other folks arrive.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/june-weather/2153437?monyr=...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #79 - 05/31/18 at 08:47:16

Arrive Sunday?  Is there going to be any asphalt left by the time I get there Friday  Huh

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #80 - 05/31/18 at 08:50:08

stewmills wrote on 05/31/18 at 08:47:16:
Arrive Sunday?  Is there going to be any asphalt left by the time I get there Friday  Huh

Yes - but the asphalt will have a thick layer of freshly ground rubber scattered around each corner! Smiley

(I buy tires and have them delivered to KY - then I proceed to wear them out in TN/NC/GA).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #81 - 05/31/18 at 09:14:37

MM,

What time Monday are you planning on being there?   Don't forget the hour time difference.

Dave needs to know how much serious exploring he can do before coming back for you.

Trying to put that tent up in the dark sucks, plan on sleeping in the trailer with the bike.  Me I will be beating the MM show up time by a little bit, enough early to check out the 2 Wheels facilities a little bit while you are out exploring.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #82 - 05/31/18 at 20:21:27

I'm thinking its about a 6 hours ride .   I'll get on the road about 09:00 hrs. so if all goes well I'll be due to arrive about 15:00 hrs.

So , big question ??? Should I bring an extra tent ?  (8x10'x72") or  (a two man 7x7'x42")   or  (my one person tent) …

I'll bring my air mat anyway.  Smiley   Any of my tents just sit on top my duffle bag just fine , everything else goes into the duffle.  

OldFeller what time you thinking ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #83 - 05/31/18 at 22:50:09

I'll leave around 7:30 on Monday and take a slower backroads route that will put me there between 2 & 3 PM same as you.

Tent, yes I'd bring one as nobody knows what can happen on the road and tents really don't take up any room, really.

Mine is still packed on the bike from earlier this spring.

I am bringing your lead bullets, so save a little room in your bags.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #84 - 06/01/18 at 04:34:12

If you are all packing tents.....I will just bring a 2 man tent as well and leave the Mega-Tent at home.  The Mega-Tent is a lot of work to set up, dry and clean and re-pack when I get home. (I was going to bring it so you didn't have to pack tents on your bikes).  Not having the big tent will also make it a lot easier for me to pack up on Sunday when I head home.

For the first few nights when it is the 3 of us we can just set up 1 tent and MM/Oldfeller can sleep in it - I will sleep in my trailer.  We can set up the second tent on Thursday when Stewmills arrives. (I am not sure if we would have to pay extra if a tent was set up for storage of gear....I can store my gear in my car/trailer).  I will bring a couple of awnings to park the bikes under.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #85 - 06/01/18 at 05:18:38

Dave, do we pay per campsite (as many little tents as we need) or do we pay per tent?

Never mind, I looked --- it is per tent $15 a night for ONE person.  Extra people cost $7 more.

Dave's big tent $15 plus 3 additional people = $36     ($9 a head)

2 smaller tents plus two additional people = $44         ($11 a head)

3 small tents plus one person = $54                            ($13.5 a head)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #86 - 06/01/18 at 07:58:48

I'LL GET THE 8X10' X 72" READY … ITS GOOD TO BE ABLE TO STAND-UP INSIDE THE TENT.  Wink

NOW WHAT DID I DO WITH IT ???  Roll Eyes

……………………………………………………

A FOLDING CHAIR MIGHT BE NICE TOO … A PILLOW …

stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #87 - 06/01/18 at 08:01:07

Dave,
Don't worry with the mega tent on my account. I have been looking at getting a small 2 man tent (really a 1 man that barely fits a cot plus a little room for gear, etc.) and I may go ahead and get one before next week. I'm not looking for a reason to spend money, but I have no issue with paying for my tent for the 3 nights. I'll also bring my pop-up canopy that can be used for a bike garage. I am sure there is no charge for that.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #88 - 06/01/18 at 08:17:08

Stew:

It sounds like we may already have 3 tents on the way to Suches, and we likely are only going to set up 2 tents - so don't go out and buy one.  I have a 2 man tent I am bringing....and it sounds like MM and Oldfeller are packing tents as well.

You will have a tent space available when you arrive.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #89 - 06/01/18 at 08:22:50

Stew , three fit in the 8x10' just fine !  

If ya buy one … you should know the "slide the pole through the hoop" kind are strong but they are the devel to set up , I have two of those kind …  

The last one I bought is of the "INSTANT-UP" kind …

and worth every penny extra  !!!  Smiley   You can thank me latter !  Wink

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 15:51:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.