Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th (Read 977 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: TRIP TO SUCHES GEORGIA - May 30 to June 3rd
Reply #45 - 05/22/18 at 10:40:50

I called and reminded MM to check in, he will do so whenever he gets off his hay cutter/baler this afternoon/evening.

I am flexible -- Dave and Stew are the ones with work restrictions so I think they should call the shots for days and times.

I will be riding in on the Barcalounger, which is filled with gas, oiled, and sits ready to go.   I am now rustling cables and phones and such so I can have a constantly charging phone to act as a navigation aid.

MM had some minor issues getting his phone to constantly charge off his bike's electrical system and was leaving his phone in airplane mode all the time (ie turned off) which is why nobody could see him on Life360 on the start of the last trip.

« Last Edit: 05/23/18 at 21:55:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #46 - 05/23/18 at 05:08:31

We (MM, Oldfeller, Dave) will likely be arriving earlier than Stew.....he will arrive late Thursday night and stay until Sunday (weather permitting).  If any other forum members want to show up and ride please let us know so we don't ride off without you.  We likely could squeeze another tent on our campsite and might have room for 1 more person in the tent (2 if I go sleep in my trailer).

Overnight temperatures will drop into the 50's....so be sure to pack some warm clothes and your insulated jammies!

I will likely pack a cooler, ice is available at the Two Wheels of Suches or the nearby Wolf Pen Gap gas station/convenience store.  The lodge is open dinner on Friday, breakfast/lunch/dinner Saturday, breakfast/lunch on Sunday.  (If there are a lot of people in the area....I would not be surprised if TWS open for breakfast on Friday morning).  The Wolf Pen Gap gas station/store has really bad reviews lately - we are not likely to find a good breakfast there.  I am happy just having some yogurt/cereal for breakfast and getting on the road...then stopping for a nice lunch somewhere before noon - or we could take a nice morning ride to some place for a breakfast.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #47 - 05/24/18 at 07:52:14

I'm with Dave on the food.  Since I am trucking it, I will have snacks with me and happy to share.  I am not a big breakfast eater so a bar or snack is good for me until lunch.  I probably won't have anything that requires ice just for convenience of not having to fool with it but can bring a cooler, if needed, for anyone biking in that requires one for medicine or anything such as that.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 05/24/18 at 14:08:05

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/june-weather/2153437?monyr=...

Current peek at the weather looks good, got some rain showers to dodge along the timeline and the road way to get there but once we get there it looks pretty good.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #49 - 05/24/18 at 21:47:01

I've got it on my calendar to start Wednesday (weather permitting) .   Right now I'm in the middle of Hay Season and battling weather and break-downs.   It will be the first trip for the guzzi !  Wink

That Life 360 eats phone batteries at a fast rate , so I've got it on the third option on the list that I can't find again now ???

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 05/24/18 at 21:48:37

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/95516/?lang=en

Yep, for them Blackberry users who need to find some errant, out of pocket Savagers

By definition, Dave can't get lost -- he's the trip,  man.

iOS store has the app if Dave wants us to be able to find him when he chooses to ditch off the cliff rather than run over that cute bicycle chick weaving all over the place as she pumps her way up a curvy hill.

Remember, you don't need to tell your wife about it

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 05/24/18 at 21:56:17

MMRanch wrote on 05/24/18 at 21:47:01:
I've got it on my calendar to start Wednesday (weather permitting) .   Right now I'm in the middle of Hay Season and battling weather and break-downs.   It will be the first trip for the guzzi !  Wink

That Life 360 eats phone batteries at a fast rate , so I've got it on the third option on the list that I can't find again now ???

Mike, you need a charger cable to run from your USB plug on your Guzzi box to your phone up on your handle bars to be able to constantly charge your phone because you will leave it on and running all the time for Life360 to work.   I also have a pouch on my bike that can hold a phone that simply needs a good charging which can happen easily while we ride around.

When you get to Two Wheels of Suches I will show you how to teach your phone to hold a stored Google map in its guts so you don't have to eat up data all the time.

Just have the cable and the holder (or the pouch) all set up and ready to go .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 05/25/18 at 02:42:16

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/24/18 at 14:08:05:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/june-weather/2153437?monyr=...

Current peek at the weather looks good, got some rain showers to dodge along the timeline and the road way to get there but once we get there it looks pretty good.

Oldfeller:  You seem to have a more positive outlook on weather than I do.  The forecast has "Thunderstorms Possible" for every day of our trip!  I suppose that is the somewhat routine weather in the mountains where the storms show up every afternoon between 2 - 6, however I would prefer them showing a more enticing forecast and a day or two of clear weather for our trip.  I am coming and bringing rain gear, and I likely will bring the Ninja as a backup bike as it throws a lot less water on me than the Savage Cafe' does (and I don't care if it gets dirty).

I will bring the Mega tent and 2 cots and a mattress - you just need to bring your sleeping bags and pillows.  I will also bring a cooler so we can store Yogurt, milk for cereal, etc.  It may be that we don't spend a lot of time for breakfast on this trip - as I am not aware of any nearby IHOP without making the 30 minute drive to town (which is the opposite  direction of most of our rides).  We can do some exploring and learn how to make this place user friendly after a few days of knocking around the area.

I will add the Life360 thingy before I leave - does it eat up data when it is on?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #53 - 05/25/18 at 07:28:28

Life360 uses the Android location "ping" data that we all constantly send to Google -- the Life360 servers use your ping to spot both you and the other riders.    Yes, this is some light ping data use, some of which that happens anyway.  And it is constant low level ping type use when on a trip, so your phone needs charging more often.  

This is all shown up on a Google Maps skeleton, so you are using some Google Maps data too.  And some more battery is being used keeping your Google Maps moving properly.

So you got two things to deal with, total data use and battery use.

On an Android phone I can minimize this total data use by using the saved maps feature in Google Maps (I always use saved maps now since they can be really quite large and useful now, the saved map I am using now is called Suches, and it covers every inch of our trip, so I can navigate using it, run around the GA mountains, track all of you and then go home all off the same locally saved map in the guts of my phone).   I am never without a locally saved map now-a-days, but I have to be under wifi to start up a "navigate to" event (the Google servers do all the route calculations for me) -- I told my phone to only use wifi for these functions so as to have the thing NOT be able to run me up any big data bill under any circumstances.

Life360 was developed so parents could track kids by their cell phones, so it isn't a bad data hog per se since it is ALWAYS on and running.  Always been that way.   It isn't data use free, but it isn't bad either.   The large mass of people using it have worked out all the money saving tricks and Life360 incorporated all of the good ones ......

Google Maps can eat some data if you don't use the saved local maps feature -- imagine sucking down a fresh map every few minutes while using cell tower data support as you roll around -- ouch !!   Using local saved maps, no issue.   Telling it not to do any new navigations apart from being on wifi support cuts out practically all the remaining cell data use.  Yes, it means hunting up a McDonalds periodically when you need to crank up a new navigation, but they are scattered all over the place and you needed a senior drink and a pee anyway.

All use of the Life360 App can be very simply ended at the end of a trip by deleting the app, then it is GONE gone gone.

Is it bad?   I judge it by my 3 gig total memory size throw away $29 free forever phone that sits up on my handlebars.  This phone only has a 3 gig per month "forever freebee" data plan.  As long as I give it constant cable plugged in charging power and a saved map I can stay under the tiny data cap that is "free forever" on my phone.

And yes, I carry a second phone for backup, in case of "aw shite" events or if I do run my little freebee data cap into the ground.

« Last Edit: 05/25/18 at 19:03:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 05/25/18 at 07:59:28

Weather

We are in the summer zone now and afternoon thunder storms pop up like acne every afternoon.

My weatherbug app has a radar that covers the entire East Coast and allows "collapsed time motion" so you can see what is coming from where.  

And sure enough, here she comes again .....

Surprise, being able to see it coming just means you know you need to pull in somewhere and sit at a table as a group until it blows past.    But that pop up acne thunderstorm action you can't predict and it flat didn't exist 15 minutes ago for the radar to report it ahead of time.

This trip isn't going to be rain free -- it is too cold during the spring "less rain" period and too cold and overpopulated during the fall dryer "leaf watcher" period.

« Last Edit: 05/25/18 at 09:26:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 05/25/18 at 09:01:23

MM, you need to speak more plainly.  

I think I hear you say your hay bail effort got rained on some and "mechanical break downs did happen".

You are cutting down your arrival to Weds & later and you are acting a bit iffy about that.   That's OK and that's real -- your hay harvests are what feeds your cows and that is important too.

Tell us what's going on and what you need for days -- I think we are getting better info from Stewart now and Dave is speaking plainly about not liking the afternoon thunderstorm forecast right now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #56 - 05/25/18 at 16:24:16

well , when the hay seasons for a day or two … I'll put it in the barn Monday or Tuesday (Dry day) and weather permitting I'll be ready Wednesday or Thursday for a Mountain Trip !  
The last forecast I saw was prediction Rain for Wednesday , but that was a couple day ago.

Where we going to base-camp at ?   I'll put the address in the GPS , plug the phone into the 5v socket and put it in the tank bag.   Smiley  Then just follow the purple line on the GPS all-the-way to base camp.

I have accidently found a page on my phone with three levels of tracking location .   Its on the bottom one now "GPS only" (I think).   The middle one uses GPS and (something else) to track location but it was a constant battery drain setting and might suck all my data points too ???    so I didn't pick it.
But the location showes me at home on MM Ranch rd. the way it is and I saw two more icons on the 360 page two last night while I was looking at it.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 05/25/18 at 17:57:30

We are staying at:

Two Wheels of Suches
1915 HWY 60, Suches, GA

Here is a link to their website:
http://twowheelsofsuches.com/history/

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #58 - 05/25/18 at 18:27:33

Weather Tools

I am becoming a dis-believer in the long term forecasts from Accuweather, the stuff we have been using as trip planning tool for the last longest time.

I think it gets cached and as such we are sometimes looking at out of date forecasts from old stored & cached data.

Meet Weatherbug, the phone software I now use because it uses a lot less memory and it responds faster on an old phone (one of which I got and will carry on trips).   Weatherbug is a little crude around the edges, but it seems to report "spot on" which is what we really need more than good looks.

What is good about Weatherbug is that it calculates itself new each time using freshly pulled reporting data (so far anyway).  At its most complex, it can show you a local weather radar scan in real time showing pattern motion, speed and direction (which is as fancy as we ever need).

https://www.weatherbug.com/weather-forecast/10-day-weather/suches-ga-30572

Notice the weatherbug addy contains no cached information.  I think this is an important detail to be looking for when we post close in weather data.  

Get the weather fresh from the several brands of weather reporting systems that each of us like and decide off of the consensus of the several weather sources.

What do you guys see as you look all afresh with your own favorite tools ????    

What I see kinda sucks .....           click on the Screenshot Paper Clip.prg "line of text" thingie directly below this to see a full size READABLE image

Screenshot_at_2018-05-25_21-32-05.png

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 05/26/18 at 05:06:00

"My bags are packed, I'm ready to go .....
Really only one thing that's needed to know ......

Weeeeeee Neeeed a Forecast,       a simple Forecast

Weeeeeee Neeeed a Forecast,       a truthful Forecast

Weeeeeee Neeeed a Forecast,       an accurate Forecast

Where ever shall we go ????    

However shall we know ????

« Last Edit: 05/26/18 at 06:32:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20180526_071858513.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home