Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th (Read 977 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to
Reply #90 - 06/02/18 at 03:04:01

I hope not to get too optimistic and jinx the weather - but the forecast just keeps getting better! Cool
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/june-weather/2153437?monyr=...

Monday will be a great day for you fellows to be riding in, and I will be out   getting familiar with the area again.  I plan on loading the Life360 app to my phone later today or tomorrow.

I have a lot of yard/house work to get done today - plus bike washing and packing!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #91 - 06/02/18 at 09:33:57

Our biggest risk on this trip is going to be SUNBURN.   Bring some long sleeve shirts and sunblock for the backs of your neck and hands and ears, etc. etc.

Plan for your comfort AFTER getting your initial sunburn .... you are gonna get one.

None of us have a decent tan as this spring has been too cloudy up until now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #92 - 06/02/18 at 19:00:26

Well I had loaded up the Savage and the Ninja.....I would ride the Ninja on the rainy days.  The forecast is so good - I unloaded the Ninja!

I had an incredibly busy day doing the yard work, planting bushes for the wife, taking the trailer to get topsoil for her garden, mowing, getting the bike(s) ready to go, getting the trailer hooked up and loaded, etc.  I am going to need a week off to recover!

I am planning on leaving right after church - with any luck I will arrive in Suches around 7 PM.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #93 - 06/02/18 at 20:47:47

I'm planning to leave Monday about 09:00 and it looks my route goes very near Helen Ga. and beyond .    Last Wednesday they had 12" of rain and flooding.    I hope its had time to drain off !  Huh      There may be some detouring  ???  

I took the Guzzi out for a 170 mile loop with the CMA bunch , the seat seemed to be OK and the shocks did a good job soaking up the ruff roads.  The Savage got to go on the last adventure so it's the Guzzi's turn this time .  Grin       I got 56 mpg today putting around (1/2 and 1/2)  back roads and  70 mph super slab  .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #94 - 06/03/18 at 18:33:04

I am here, and the tent is set up....and the weather is beautiful.

You guys picked a good day NOT to ride your bikes.  Just north of Alcoa I hit a rain storm that was  so hard that 25mph seemed to be too fast to drive.  It seemed that from then on I hit a hard storm every 20 miles - with 18 miles of dry roads between.  Once I went through Tellico Plains it was good for a while  - then the roads were wet until I reached Copperhill.

Suches is dry, cool, and very comfortable.

I don't have the Life360 loaded  yet...I will try in the morning.

To reach the campsite pull into the concrete parking lot, then go right on the gravel road past the lodge.  Cross over the first bridge, then when you cross the second water crossing it is a big culvert.  The red bath house will be straight ahead - but turn right before you get to it.  You will see thee firewood storage area.....keep looking right.  I am right next to the creek in a faded blue Coleman tent that has a tan/yellow fly on top.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 06/03/18 at 23:12:51

I am up, packed, charged and ready to go.

I will go back to sleep until 5:30 then I will get up and motivate some breakfast, then hit the road.

My dot it lit once my phone is lit, currently I am off line on charge.  

MM's phone is off again (airplane mode, again)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #96 - 06/04/18 at 03:22:15

I am up, I need a new code to subscribe to Life360....evidently the access codes expire.

The sky is clear, the forecast is good.....and they are serving Breakfast Biscuits from 8 AM until 10!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #97 - 06/04/18 at 04:47:38

Sounds like you all are going to have a great time and you should have a nice week of weather too.

Have fun and be safe!

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #98 - 06/04/18 at 06:20:03

Good to hear, Dave. I am still on target for a Thursday arrival around 9pm, maybe earlier depending on how quick I can get out of Atlanta traffic. Life 360 isn't supported o my phone so don't look for my arrival updates there.  I will post anything notable here on this thread.

Y'all have a good start to the week!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #99 - 06/06/18 at 04:53:08

As the lack of photos shows.....we are having a good time.  The weather is perfectly clear and pleasant - once the morning chill goes away.  Sleeping in the tent and the morning ride to breakfast provides 54 degrees of chill.

Yesterday MM and I hooked up with a Ducati rider and chased each other around curves for 340 wonderful miles!  We obviously didn't keep him challenged on the straight sections - but I think we kept him amused when we got to the curves.

The section of 28 south of Highlands down to Warwoman road is an amazing collection of downhill curves - it always amazes me how long that road can go downhill and how many curves it has.........it is equal to the Dragon in fun factor, and a lot less traffic.  The east end of Warwoman is equally as fun!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #100 - 06/06/18 at 19:43:16

Our base camp

0606181855a.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #101 - 06/06/18 at 19:51:46

A restaurant on the lake we had lunch
Its to much fun to stop for pictures sometimes  Roll Eyes

0606181615b.jpg

stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #102 - 06/07/18 at 07:01:44

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #103 - 06/08/18 at 04:12:32

It is another beautiful morning in Georgia!  The potential showers for this afternoon have disappeared from the forecast for today, and there is no rain forecast for the rest of the weekend!  The Two Wheels campground is filling up with dual sport bikes as there is a special ride event this weekend - this will be a very busy place by the end of today.

MM and I did another long day yesterday and found some wonderful backroads - it seems you can't find a road in this area that doesn't have nice curves, hills and views......and the traffic so far has been pretty light.  I suspect that this area is just a bit less touristy than the areas around Deals Gap/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Cherokee/Asheville.  The back roads were a bit busy with haymaking yesterday - but tractors and trucks hauling hay are pretty easy to pass.

Stewmills arrived last night about 5 minutes after we got to camp - the timing couldn't have been any better.  MM and I are both riding on front tires that are getting near the end of their life - we have been scuffing them up real good and they are holding up much better than I expected and they will easily last the rest of this trip. (Today we will find out if we can get Stewmills to abuse his tires as well!)  I did notice that both MM and I have a tiny bit more wear on the right side of the front tire than there is on the left.....an experienced riding friend of mine said that this is normal as right hand turns are inherently sharper since you are on the inside of the turn and the radius is tighter - on left hand turns you are on the outside of the curve and the radius is generally larger.  

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #104 - 06/08/18 at 20:06:25

On a semi-related topic...I finally broke 10K miles today just before pulling in for the end of today's ride...after riding for 6 years  Tongue

IMG_20180608_194318.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 13:46:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.