Send Topic Print
tube sealant (Read 31 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tube sealant
06/21/18 at 18:30:03

Has anyone had any experience with inner tube sealant?  I've read mixed reviews about Slime Tube Sealant and some riders prefer a product called Ride-On which supposedly helps with tire balance as well as seals.

I also read that some tour riders carry it along with an air pump and only use it after a puncture has occurred but won't use it as a preventative measure because they say it clogs up the valve stem and they can't air up the tire again once it has been used.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: tube sealant
Reply #1 - 06/21/18 at 18:52:13

I have used Slime in my tractor and mower tires with good results.  It seals the holes that can come from thistles and sharp twigs, etc.

I once used a cheap "CAMEL" brand in the front of my lawn tractor tires, and it dissolved the rubber inside the tire and all the cords came loose - and the tires got all funny shaped as there was nothing holding them together.  When I took the tires off the inside was filled with sticky goo and strings.

On one group ride in TN/NC we pulled under the porch roof of an abandoned building to get out of the rain, and I got a piece of glass stuck in my tire.  Not knowing if the glass had gotten to the tube, we bought SLIME and put it in the tube of the front tire.  I didn't notice any ill effects from having it in the tube.  When I changed that tire I discovered that the glass had not gone deep enough to get to the tube - so the slime never had to seal anything.

I have never had tire sealer plug up a valve stem - but I have had it blow slime into my air gauge when checking tire pressure.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/21/18 at 20:04:55

Dave, was that the end of your air gauge?  If so, and if I use this stuff, I'll have to buy a supply of cheap gauges.

I like to ride rural roads where traffic is sometimes very sparse and my phone cannot always get a signal.  I haven't had a puncture in many years and that seems to be pushing my luck which is why I'm thinking about trying a sealant.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 06/21/18 at 20:24:43

I put it in when I put my new front tire on last time … but it already had a couple of oz's in it … then months later I forgot I had put it in and put it in again … (maybe 12 ozs total was way too much) (4 ozs in a bike tire is a lot).

Well , when I got to Texas this year and tried ridding 70-75 mph on ruff Texas roads I found that too much slime is not good.

Apparently , the slime also blances the tire if there isn't TOO-MUCH of it  in there.  So best I can figure the tire would be rolling along blanced OK then a jolting bump would put the slim to moving out of blance.    

At the camp site I worked about 8 ozs of it out the valve stem and then things worked good for the next days ride and all the way home too , and still is good now !

I'm thinking 4ozs for the back and 3 ozs for the front is about right.

The first time I used it 30 years ago I had found a product in my local motorcycle shop call "Sealer & Balancer" in a 12oz bottle.  
I had just had a flat (rear) on my CB500 while ridding double, down hill , with a curve at the bottom and running about 65mph on a 55mph road.   I didn't like the experience very much.    Back then I'd carry a patch kit and a basket ball pump , so I made it home Ok but was at the shop getting a new innertube when I saw this new product (Sealer & Balancer) , I had to try it...  Roll Eyes      

I haven't had a flat out on the road since .    Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/22/18 at 03:43:51

engineer wrote on 06/21/18 at 20:04:55:
Dave, was that the end of your air gauge?

No, it just makes it a bit messy.  It never oozes a lot of the slime - just the little bit that has gathered in the valve stem.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 13:01:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › tube sealant

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.