Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th (Read 977 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th
02/17/18 at 04:43:50

A few of us have been exploring the Suches, Georgia area the last couple of summers.  MM, Stewmills and I went through the area on wet roads while trying to dodge the rain showers hitting Franklin, Clayton and all points that would lead us back to our temporary home at the Kick Stand Lodge last year - unfortunately the roads were just too wet to do much exploring.  Later in the summer my wife and I returned for a "couples" ride weekend and we had great weather for exploring.

The Two Wheels of Suches is a great place to camp or cabin.  The restaurant is open for All meals between Friday and Sunday - weekdays it is open for lunch.  The meals are so good that a lot of the local "non biker" folks show up for breakfast and dinner on Friday and Saturday.      
http://twowheelsofsuches.com/

There is plenty of good riding on twisty roads, the scenery is excellent, and the Natahalla River offers a fun diversion to watch the rafters and kayakers when they "turn on" the river on the weekends (they release water from the dams to provide good rapids).  Traffic is pretty light in the area, as it is not nearly as touristy as Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The Suches trip is tentatively scheduled for the first weekend in June (weather permitting).  I could arrive in the area in the afternoon of Wednesday, May 30, and stay until Sunday, June 3rd.  If the weather isn't good that weekend......postpone the event until the following weekend.  (June 6-10).  It is an 8 hour trip for me to get there and I will be towing my bike behind my car on my trailer, and I can pack the Mega tent that sleeps 4 easily (and I can sleep in my trailer if the tent gets full).

This will be a ride/eat/sight see trip - with the focus on riding.  The Two Wheels of Suches provides a great home base......it is easy to ride the local roads and then come back for meals.  Short rides to places like Chatuge Lake where there is a great restaurant on the edge of the lake, and Copperhill on the way to/from the Natahalla River proved to be good rides and good food.  Wolf Pen Gap provides a really fun ride with turns that are really tight.....there are 2 hairpin turns that are 1st gear 180 turns.....and 129 is more open and very hilly and twisty - we can even ride up to Booger Hollow where MM can get his Dollar Store Mountain Dew supply!

(Please keep this discussion on topic and related to the trip to Suches).

« Last Edit: 05/28/18 at 19:00:42 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: TRIP TO SUCHES GEORGIA - May 30 to June 3rd
Reply #1 - 02/17/18 at 14:20:12

Wolf Pen Gap provides a really fun ride with turns that are really tight.....there are 2 hairpin turns that are 1st gear 180 turns.....and 129 is more open and very hilly and twisty - we can even ride up to Booger Hollow where MM can get his Dollar Store Mountain Dew supply!

Cool

Sound like a neat Play-Ground !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 02/17/18 at 15:02:41

I am in for Two Wheels of Suches, First Week of June.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 02/18/18 at 17:49:47

Its on my Calendar .    I hope to bring the Guzzi to this one ...  Smiley    

But ,

I don't think its any more maneuverable than the Savage ... It just sits different  and is better for ridding double.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/19/18 at 05:34:47

I am pretty sure that Stewmills is in on this trip.....we moved the date so he could come.

So far:  Dave, Oldfeller, MMRanch.......Stewmills?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 02/19/18 at 11:29:04

Yeah, I should be good for this trip!  Hopefully it won't rain this time and every place we try t eat won't be closed or 'encourage' us to try somewhere else down the road. Angry

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 02/19/18 at 19:51:31

try somewhere else down the road.  

If we have a "Fire-pit" where were staying ...  Roll Eyes

A bag if Quick light
A pack of Boneless , skinless , Chicken or Everybody pick out a piece of beef or pork , + a jar of BBQ Sauce.
A big can of Baked Beans warmed in the can while the meat cooks
A loaf of Texas Toast
Wink
I'm bringing my camp silver-ware and plate/mess kit ... this time  Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/20/18 at 03:43:26

They have fire rings at each camp site, and the website says they have charcoal grills throughout the campsite.  There is Wolf Pen Gap Country Store within walking distance from the campsite and they would have charcoal - not sure if they sell meat for grilling.  There is a town 20 minutes up the road that would have a full stocked grocery store - and I will be packing a cooler in my car....ice is available at the lodge.

The lodge starts serving meals on Friday evening, and I suspect the Saturday and Sunday mornings will be breakfast at the Lodge.......and likely we will come back for the evening meals on Friday and Saturday as they are excellent.  Lunch will likely be on the road every day.....the restaurants at Chatuge Lake and Copperhill will likely be the lunch meals on the days we head out those directions.  There is also a town called Dahlonega about 14 miles up the road that has all kinds of restaurants and fast food places....and Highway 60 is a nice hilly/twisty road that is fun to ride.

The only downside I can remember about our camp site was being right near the creek behind the lodge, and in the evening there were pesky little insects that swarmed - they didn't bite but they sure were obnoxious as they kept flying into you face.  We were right near the deck at the lodge, and one evening a group of folks stayed up late and hung out on the deck and were a bit noisy in their conversation.  This year we will pick a camp site farther away from the lodge and creek and hopefully avoid the pests.  The campers were all quiet after hours.....it was just the deck area that was noisy.

stewmills wrote on 02/19/18 at 11:29:04:
Hopefully it won't rain this time and every place we try t eat won't be closed or 'encourage' us to try somewhere else down the road. Angry

I know the place much better this year.......and we won't have any trouble finding places to eat and ride.

I have the ability now to adjust the arrival and departure days in my schedule.....and if the weather is better early or later.....I can move the days around.  The only thing that would change is our ability to get meals at the lodge - and Stewmills is likely restricted to the Friday evening and Sat/Sun rides.

« Last Edit: 02/20/18 at 05:21:47 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 02/20/18 at 06:27:57

Hmm...just mapped it...16 hours. I really need to move south...soon.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/20/18 at 06:39:33

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/20/18 at 06:27:57:

The Suches trip is a long drive for me as well........8 hours at a minimum.  I can make it to the Deals Gap area in 6 hours and those 2 extra hours each way just really seems to make it long......16 hours would be painful!

There will be a trip to the Kick Stand Lodge sometime this summer....if that is closer for you it would be a good trip, as you can ride the Tail of the Dragon and get that marked off your bucket list.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 02/20/18 at 07:01:13

Dave wrote on 02/20/18 at 06:39:33:
There will be a trip to the Kick Stand Lodge sometime this summer....if that is closer for you it would be a good trip, as you can ride the Tail of the Dragon and get that marked off your bucket list.  

Deals Gap is a less painful 13 hour trek...but...that area of the world (Knoxville) is on my retirement short list...so there is a good chance you will see me there.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 02/22/18 at 05:36:14

Dave wrote on 02/20/18 at 06:39:33:
Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/20/18 at 06:27:57:

The Suches trip is a long drive for me as well........8 hours at a minimum.  I can make it to the Deals Gap area in 6 hours and those 2 extra hours each way just really seems to make it long......16 hours would be painful!

Tail of the Dragon and get that marked off your bucket list.  

Been there, done that.  I hated Dragon - would never go back.  Better riding up in Upper South Carolina, and into western North Carolina.  AWESOME!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 02/22/18 at 05:43:55

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 02/22/18 at 05:36:14:
Been there, done that.  I hated Dragon - would never go back.  Better riding up in Upper South Carolina, and into western North Carolina.  AWESOME!!

Not everybody likes the same thing.  I love riding the Dragon and Moonshiner 28 - provided the traffic is light and there isn't some wacky car club trying to get their big cars around the tight turns.

I love riding sharp tight curves where speeds are low - but the thrill is high.  I am not a fan of high speed sweepers and long straight sections.

If you want more open roads, better scenery, less traffic - there are better places to ride.  When we stay near the Tail of the Dragon we get out early in the morning and ride it before it gets crowded - and it is a very nice ride when you have light traffic and the cars/trucks pull over to let you pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-2kNjUHsE

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #13 - 02/22/18 at 05:49:27

My experience at the TOD was on a Thursday (thus, mid-week) and yet, the "sprocket-rocket" cyclists were in droves.  My old BMW couldn't do the speeds that they were doing (nor would I want to) so they were passing me like crazy.  Not a bit enjoyable for me.

However the SC to NC roads that I now ride (Rt. 178 up from Liberty) are nearly just as curvy but lots (to me) more enjoyable.  Quiet, lots of woods and trees, curves, some hairpins, and virtually no traffic!  It doesn't get any better than that!!

Hope y'all have a great time!!  Please be careful!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 02/22/18 at 06:26:57

Way off topic...

Dave what camera and camera mount are you using?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 00:53:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!