Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: So, how will you upgrade to Win 10 ?   (multiple votes OK)

I will seek it joyously as fast as I can
I will watch and wait for most of a year
I am being Borged already at Win 7/8.1
I will stay out until they force it on me
Thinking about jumping ship - do something else
Will stay where I am until my hardware dies
ChromeOS or Linux for me, thank you
I JUST WANT TO SEE THE RESULTS

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 09/01/15 at 09:35:28 »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Oh my! Windows 10 already? (Read 2183 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Oh my! Windows 10 already?
Reply #150 - 08/25/15 at 10:00:22

so sorry, we screwed you, come again.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #151 - 08/26/15 at 13:49:55

Implementation count is now up to 75 million users.

Microsoft has shut off all discussion about the updates they are sending out because they now refuse to identify what they're doing in those updates.  They are simply denying their critics any chance to criticize what Microsoft is doing with any real information or data, and they are also shutting down all download troubleshooting at this time by doing this information shut down.

So, what does this "gag order" mean to you, the potential upgrader?

Just wait patiently until Microsoft indicates that you should start your download because they're supposedly not telling you to go unless they have some assurance they have the drivers to fit your machine.   And since the pundits can't tell you nearly as quickly how to fix the outbound bugs any more, you will have to try to avoid getting as many potential bugs as you can.

By doing this simple step you will greatly decrease your pain and suffering.

« Last Edit: 08/27/15 at 07:44:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #152 - 08/26/15 at 14:18:37

By the way the FOSS and Open-Source people are saying that Microsoft has lost all grounds to claim any form of openness about Windows 10 as it may be free but it is obviously still a top secret and now a very closed proprietary operating system.

Tongue    

They also trust there is no Linux code involved in Windows 10 or else perhaps some bad things might happen legally due to the Linux FOSS license.    Seeing just how frantically fast Win 10 was put together, a code check might find all sorts of little borrowings going on ..... and each of them means that Windows 10 would become open source in its entirety after the court case was settled.

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 08/27/15 at 07:19:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #153 - 08/27/15 at 07:35:09

http://www.slashgear.com/windows-10s-forced-updates-are-causing-trouble-alrea...

Windows 10’s "secret" forced updates are causing trouble already

"Color us surprised. One of Windows 10's most controversial features, or misfeature for some, seems to already be wrecking havoc for users not even a month after its launch. While the theory and the intent behind forcing updates may be understandable, even laudable in some aspect, its implementation definitely leaves much to be desired. One recent case practically gets Windows 10 stuck in an seemingly endless loop of trying to upgrade, failing, rebooting, and trying again, only to fail. Rinse and repeat, and you've got one very irate customer.

The wayward update in this case is a certain KB3081424 that was pushed out August 5. This update was reported to fail the first time it tries to install. As per protocol, Windows 10 will try to roll back the update but in doing so will require the user to reboot. However, once the system has restarted, Windows 10's automatic update process kicks in again, which tries to install KB3081424 again, and again fails. Apparently, the update writes a bad entry in the Windows 10's registry which prevents all further attempts from succeeding.

For now, the only way to break this cycle is to dig down into the arcane Windows registry and undo what the update has done. After that, update KB3081424 should install correctly. Apparently, Microsoft's own tool for temporarily holding back certain updates doesn't list KB3081424, which would have help alleviate the situation.

This might have been considered a fluke if not for the fact that this isn't the first instance where Windows 10's forced updates renders a system nigh unusable. A broken NVIDIA driver would force displays to switch off. Another update ended up corrupting File Explorer, which handles any and all file management operations on Windows.

Microsoft wants to push updates, whether system, driver, or app, automatically (and now secretly) to ensure that users' computers are well patched against bugs and security issues, but these recent cases only show that the patches themselves are ironically the cause of those problems. With automatic updates, Microsoft is asking its user base to trust that its updates won't do any harm behind their backs. Given this ongoing track record, however, that might be asking for a lot."

===========================================

And here comes Forbes, showing how you can overcome the "secret updates issue".

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/26/windows-10-how-to-stop-for...

"There is no greater Windows 10 controversy than its policy of forced updates. While great in theory, for many users the reality of updates which download and install automatically has been horribly different and the question on many users lips is: How do you stop them?"

Option 1: Stop The Windows Update Service

"As central as it is to the core of Windows 10, Windows Update is actually just another Windows process so it can be stopped with these simple steps:

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it
In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
Restart
To re-enable Windows Update simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to ‘Automatic’

Option 2: Setup A Metered Connection

Windows 10 offers users on metered connections a compromise: to save bandwidth Microsoft confirms the operating system will only automatically download and install updates it classifies as ‘Priority’.

While Microsoft doesn’t reveal its method of classification, this does cut down more frivolous updates which typically include new drivers and software features – both of which have already caused stability problems.

Open the Settings app (Win + I)
Open the ‘Network & Internet’ section
Open ‘Wi-Fi’ and click ‘Advanced Options’
Toggle ‘Set as metered connection’ to ‘On’
Note: If your PC uses an Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet the Metered Connection option will be disabled as it works with Wi-Fi connections only (silly I know).

Option 3: Group Policy Editor

This is a halfway house: the group policy editor will notify you about new updates without automatically installing them (how previous generations of Windows always worked) – though again security updates will still install automatically.

Note: Windows 10 Home users have to sit this one out, it is only for Windows 10 Education, Pro and Enterprise editions.

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 – Notify for download and notify for install’
Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting
Restart

Alternatively for Windows 10 users without group policy access:

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: regedit and press enter
Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
In there create a ‘32-bit DWORD’ value called ‘AuOptions’ and under ‘Value Data’ type 2 and click ‘OK’
Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting
Restart

The Show/Hide Tool

Strangely the so-called ‘Show/Hide Tool’ is not part of Windows 10 nor can it be found through Windows Update. Instead it can be downloaded from Microsoft here.

Unlike the three options above, the Show/Hide Tool is not proactive so it doesn’t stop any automatic updates from downloading and installing. Instead it allows you to ‘Hide’ an update from Windows 10 so if you uninstall it Windows Update will not try to reinstall it automatically.

This is very useful if a particular update is causing your system problems. Then again the Show/Hide Tool doesn’t work with Priority Updates.

Of course – handy as they are – what all these options illustrate is a need for Microsoft to get with reality.

The fact Windows 10 updates itself automatically by default is largely a good thing, but every equivalent from rival desktop OSes and mobile OSes to web browsers all offer the choice to proactively disable updates if preferred."

Windows 10 for Business (or Win 10 Pro if you prefer) lacks some of these auto update issues completely because it DOESN'T DO AUTO UPDATES AT THE SAME INVASIVE (totally secret) LEVEL.

MS is aware of this difference, which is perhaps why they seem to have been providing Win 10 Pro to the beta testers, who didn't have these sorts of issues and certainly didn't report on them out on the net, accordingly.

Pro is slower to update, and much more "core selective" only doing a more limited set of functions and updating just those, in a much more deliberate fashion.    

Business does not like fast change as it costs them IT dollars chasing it.   Business wants stability and only wants to see changes take place in very slow careful pre-announced innovation stages.

Old_Rider, what version did they send you ???

Huh

« Last Edit: 09/01/15 at 09:21:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #154 - 08/28/15 at 05:29:11

OK, now .....

I think I have gotten all the fun out of Win 10 that I am going to get.  

I am tired of chasing it.  

THE BASE ISSUE WITH WIN 10 IS THE WIDE WIDE WIDE RANGE OF HARDWARE AND ALL THE DEDICATED DRIVERS THAT ARE OUT THERE IN WINDOWS LAND.  

Microsoft has ambitiously tried to write an automatic OS that they maintain from their end.   In doing so they have barked their shins on what Apple and Google assiduously avoided by keeping their hardware consistent --- all that insane variation in hardware and driver issues and bios issues and settings issues ...... (you can just keep on listing them all day long).

Microsoft recognized that their past efforts over the years had to be brought forward to ONE PACKAGE and they busted their gut to make this happen.   They HAD to go do this or go bankrupt taking care of all the old windows versions separately.

The complexity of what they built into Win 10 was astounding.   The fact the dancing bear can dance at all is what you have to give them kudos for, the fact he leaves claw marks on the ballroom floor has to be accepted as "irregardless".  

You did ask for a dancing bear after all.

However, under all the fancy start pages you still have the same old operating system operating at the same old speed having all the same old types of issues, except now they can get generated nightly by automatic updates that you cannot KNOW anything about or control in any fashion.    

Then after a week or so of bitching, the pundits will tell you in excruciating detail how to dig down into the 11 layers of settings or even down into dos box command line/regedit Registry Level guts of the thing to tell you how to fix your particular problem.    And then late that same night, you can get that same ill update sent to you again in a repeated fashion along with a chain of other old updates (MS had tuned some other part of the KB and sent it on out again to fix somebody else's problems).

This level of "automatically destroyed nightly" lack of dependability has never been seen before in computing.

Plus, Microsoft can use your machine and your internet connection to go do their business.  They use your machine and your bandwidth to push torrent style updates out to other people in your area -- yeah, they use it A LOT.  

They can also use your machine like it belongs to them during hibernation and idle times.   Some suspect that a silent wake up call can be sent to your machine to deep activate it into a hibernate state even if you have turned it off at the front panel.   Your CPU and hard drive and internet connection can then be used to do short term data crunching jobs that are done and sent back to MS.  

(without your machine's "on" lights ever coming on, if that is what MS wants)

Your accepted the 1,200 page EULA that permits this sort of activity.   Yes, they can use your electricity, your internet bandwidth, your machine -- even potentially when you have turned the sucker off.

Folks in Europe are now using their power strip to turn their entire system OFF at night simply because MS can't overcome a physical on/off switch (not yet anyway).

There is a vast divide now showing up between Win 10 Enterprise and Win 10 Consumer -- Big Business will not tolerate this sort of stuff.     Not any, not at all.    Microsoft will have to eventually put out a package that Big Business will accept and likely that is the one you will want to wind up with.   People are already seeing a vast difference between Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro -- we expect even more difference when Win 10 Enterprise comes out.

But ..... you have to pay for Win 10 Enterprise according to what is known about it now ......  and functionally you might as well stay with Win 7 for what you will get out of it.

What folks are disliking more and more is the flip-flopping misdirection, secrecy and conniving that is all now part of the Windows 10 experience.   Plus the fact it still isn't completely written yet, much less quality checked, let's not forget those little items.  

"Trust us" is getting harder to do as time goes on.

Folks feel like Beta testers all the time now and they didn't expect that.

« Last Edit: 08/29/15 at 04:00:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #155 - 08/28/15 at 07:13:25

Remember, "Trust us" if "Something Happened" to your machine yet again last night .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #156 - 08/28/15 at 21:46:57

I always wondered where the dilberts who fixed the school system went to work.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #157 - 08/29/15 at 01:10:09

Interesting to see 1780 views of this post, 156 replies and only eight votes on your poll. I was a voter.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #158 - 08/29/15 at 02:03:35

Yup, not a lot of interest in this topic any more.    Most of the folks around here are running XP and can't play anyway.

You gotta give MS credit for stacking their deck expertly.  They start out with a core of Beta Testers (that got previewed for equipment right after the folks signed up, MS checked them out equipment-wise after the Beta Testers approved their personal copy of the EULA for Beta Testers and MS could get deep access to their hardware to check it all out for "suitability").    If they didn't like your hardware, you got no invitation.

Then they carefully pre-approved the first wave of "high confidence" user machines to do the first couple of 3-4 weeks of roll out.

But now MS is down to the lower half of the confidence pile now and things are getting much  grimmer inside the last 24 hours reported.

======================================

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/08/28/microsoft-windows-10-update-...

Microsoft Needs To Fix Windows 10 Update Problems

"A free update Windows 10 might be, but it’s giving some people – me included – a massive headache. So far I’ve updated two laptops, a tablet and my main desktop to the stable release of Windows 10. The tablet and my desktop were both previously on the preview builds.

The problem is – and if it’s plagued me it must be causing problems for a significant number of other people – is that the upgrades from older versions of Windows never seem to work properly. To illustrate what I mean, I’m going to list my machines and explain how the update has gone.

Desktop – No problems, in daily use so just installed the RTM when dMS released it

Tablet – Had an early Insider Preview build, wouldn’t update to the RTM (final) version so I downloaded the tool from Microsoft MSFT +0.00% website to install 10 and it worked fine. We can ignore this, because it’s not likely to be a common use case for users.

Dell XPS 13 – This machine doesn’t get much use these days, updating it was tricky because it needed to have lots of Windows 7 updates applied first. It did eventually agree to install 10 though.

Dell XPS 12 – This is my day-to-day machine, it was running Windows 8.1, and the update again seemed reliant on the existing OS having all the updates, and again I had to go through Windows Update to get it working.

Samsung RF510 – An old machine, but a powerful enough one that I use it a fair bit for Plex. Will not update via any means.

So, none of my machines was entirely simple to update. The one thing I noticed was that the “Windows Flag” in my tray was absolutely useless in all of these cases. Although reserving my copies of Windows was easy – and utterly pointless, because it didn’t speed up the rate at which a machine got its update – the follow up install was hopeless.

What happens on all my machines was that I would click on the “Your copy of Windows 10 is ready to install” and then that process would fail immediately. On both of the XPS machines, I had to get the Windows 10 update through the standard “Windows Update” service. Not the end of the world, but a poor user experience.

Things get a lot worse with the Samsung. This is the machine that I just cannot get to update. Nothing works. The Windows 10 logo has announced that my upgrade is ready, but it won’t do anything itself. I’ve downloaded update file for W10 about six times on this machine now, via Windows Update and it hasn’t worked any of those times.

In the end I headed to the Windows website to get the same tool I used for the tablet – also a Samsung – and tried that. It appears to work at first, then fails every time, hanging at some point on the Windows 10 boot logo. When the machine is rebooted the PC reverts to Windows 7."

Forbes, read by business people everywhere.    Articles by Forbes get pushed by Google Cards as straight news about the tech scene and get re-reported all over the place in various media.    And Forbes is beginning to say bad things pretty consistently about Windows 10 and the upgrade progress of late.

Prediction (from me):   folks begin to ask for MS to extend the 30 day roll back period since MS is CAUSING repeated issues with their secret nightly updates that re-re-re-roll old service release packs that have a bug in them (but just for some older hardware sets).

Do you get the impression that some folks with "good hardware" that has current drivers available for it are having smooth sailing, and some folks are taking on water continuously and are having to do a whole lot of bailing?

========================================

Personal experience with other folks software NOT directly involved with Win 10 --- Firefox PC upgrades are now coming out now pre-configured for Win 10 machines and they ALL require re-tuning and turning on tool bars and adding/replacing menu items to display properly on Vista whereas before they just dropped in flawlessly as they were tuned for a Win 7 world.    

Because Win 10 is ubiquitous, expect all second party software to come out set up to display properly on a Win 10 machine from now on.

Sad

..... is this how you are going to be coerced into getting a new computer?   Niggled into it?

« Last Edit: 08/30/15 at 08:11:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #159 - 08/30/15 at 08:05:10

Sleep/hibernate/suspend and restart/awake are what is being affected by the latest nightly secret update disaster.

Some can't get back to functioning properly unless they actually unplug the machine and hard boot it in that fashion.  

(unplug the battery in a laptop is the laptop equivalent).

Laptops are affected more so than desktops.

Pundits can't chase this problem, because they don't know what was done in the KB to make it start doing that.

"Trust us" that MS will fix it for you, real soon now .......     Roll Eyes      Y'all come back now real soon, y'hear ??

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #160 - 08/30/15 at 18:23:01

I'm laughing out loud..... no really.... out loud Cheesy

Everything you have been putting up that has to do with privacy....is so funny.

What happened 14 years ago when "smart" phones started being smart?
"They could turn your phone on and off at will"
"They could track your movements with the GPS"
"They could track your usage; texts, calls, web searches...ect"
"They used (and still do) personal information about you, and send it to their third party companies."

And now you think MS is just getting out of hand?  Apple, Google, MS and I would step up and tell you FOSS software are ALL gathering information about your system, what is on it and what you do with it.

Welcome to the Digital age.... hell you can't even go off grid now days... even if you have a cabin on a mountain top...
Even if there is a cloudy day they can see you, hell they can see 2 miles into the earths crust!

Yeah we want a software system that is going to do us good, without issues.... and not be intrusive..... well, now days, it isn't going to happen, get used to it.

P.S. I'm still running windows 10 Pro on the small laptop (full version now, no test stuff, still no ad ons  though [no office, or anything] and still it is running good.
     My large 17" HP is running great also....  with Windows 10 Home Edition

Happy computing Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #161 - 08/31/15 at 06:17:19

OH NO !!!!!

old_rider wrote on 08/30/15 at 18:23:01:
I'm laughing out loud..... no really.... out loud Cheesy

Oh no !!!    You LAUGHED OUT LOUD about MS, while <shudder> choosing to stay on Win 7 Pro ..... and now we all know what that means, you've done it to us all.    

You have brought Evil down upon us all, by laughing at anything concerning the Evil Emperor .....       Shocked     Lips Sealed

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/30/windows-10-spying-on-windo...

Windows 10 Worst Features are now SECRETLY being installed On Windows 7 And Windows 8.1 machines as of last night's updates.

Laughing at Microsoft’s controversial data mining and privacy invasions within Windows 10?   Well Windows 7 and Windows 8 users should laugh no longer as this most hated spying is now headed your way…

Software specialist site gHacks has discovered that Microsoft has pushed four new updates to both Windows 7 and Windows 8 which introduce new data collecting and user behavior tracking features.

The four updates in question and the official Microsoft descriptions are:

KB3068708 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 – This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry – This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

Furthermore gHacks notes that ” these four updates ignore existing user preferences stored in Windows 7 and Windows 8 (including any edits made to the Hosts file) and immediately starts exchanging user data with vortex-win.data.microsoft.com and settings-win.data.microsoft.com.
Evil
“ These, and maybe others, appear to be hardcoded which means that the Hosts file is bypassed automatically”, gHacks explains.

I have reached out to Microsoft about the new patches and will update when the company’s response if/when it is received.

But until then the bigger question for those uncomfortable with these changes is: How do you stop them?"

From now on, this invasion should be referred to as the "The Old_Rider Laughed Out Loud Invasion".

Tongue

« Last Edit: 08/31/15 at 07:39:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #162 - 08/31/15 at 22:44:44

Oh no !!!    You LAUGHED OUT LOUD about MS, while <shudder> choosing to stay on Win 7 Pro ..... and now we all know what that means, you've done it to us all.    

Um, Win 10 pro..... I have stopped using vista, 7, 8, 8.1

You do know that they all already have been mining your information right? For about 15 years now.....

How do you think web sites get there money to keep running? It is called "ad mining", they keep track of your klicks to websites and post advertisements from those sites on the little side panels you see here on this site.
What? you think our donations pay for the total of site usage? NOPE..... the ads pay for some too..... yup, suzukisavage.com is mining your information. Not the site per se.... but the folks that wrote the software that John is using to keep us online.

Grow up.... stop spreading fear....

Are FOSS folks paying you money to get folks to switch?  

I stopped using Linux because every program I was interested in had several confusing steps to install..... here is an copy and paste from a site...http://www.control-escape.com/linux/lx-swinstall.html

"Installing Software on Linux,

One of the most difficult things to get used to in the Linux world is installing new software packages. In the world of Windows, every program comes with a Setup.exe program that asks you some very easy questions and takes care of the job for you. While Linux software can be almost that easy to install, you will sometimes find software that seems to fight every step of the way. I can’t cover all the problems you might run into, but I’ll try to give you the basics and a few pointers to help get you over the rough spots.

Software tends to come in “packages”. In the Windows world a package is a Setup.exe or a program.zip file. On a Mac a package is a program.dmg or a program.sit file. In the Linux world, there are several kinds of packages, and each distribution has its own preferred package format.

The standard Linux package format (according to the Linux Standard Base) is RPM. RPM is a packaging system originally developed by Red Hat and widely used in the Linux community. Distributions using it include Fedora, Mandriva, Red Hat (naturally), and SUSE. An RPM package file normally will be named something like program-version-other.rpm

Another popular package format is DEB, the Debian software package. Debian packages and the Advanced Packaging Tool (APT) were the first to introduce several advanced features that are now common, such as automatic dependency resolution and signed packages. Debian packages are used by Debian GNU/Linux (naturally), and distributions based on it, including Ubuntu, Knoppix, and Mepis. A Debian package file normally will be named something like program-version-other.deb

Remember, you will need to become SuperUser to install software."

I'm not a super user..... and i'm sure all these folks here are not either.....

P.S. If you guys can understand all the stuff I copied and pasted in that Installing Linux programs paragraph... go ahead and load up Linux......

You see, software is confusing..... and folks are supposed to help you... not scare the bejesus out of you ....

My system is running fine....both of them.... why is that?  

My graphics error was because of a driver.... my slow speed for the internet software is because of the security issues Microsoft is having with those that want to not "conform" and promise not to HACK your system.

Read up on the new software, go to the Microsoft boards and ask questions.... there are actually some folks there that will help you with your issues.

I actually use google chrome browser without a problem.... why are there folks (news  and tech writers) having such issues with it?  Maybe it is because they are disabling all the Microsoft stuff and editing their registries causing the Microsoft bug catcher to "catch" them.

How can you expect a system to work when you disable part of it?

I'm gonna go to bed now.....  i'm tired.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #163 - 09/01/15 at 08:06:55

Old-Rider,

What you post about was true about Debian and Red Hat and their derivatives about 6-7 years ago.

Ubuntu created the Software Manager to take care of that sort of issue for you.   On Ubuntu and all its more polished derivatives like Linux Mint you click on Software Manager, provide your systems password (which even Windows 10 insists that you use now when fiddling with software installations, btw) and pick your software from a list of about 3,000 free packages and hit install.   Inside of 2-3 minutes (broadband) it has gone to the repository, gotten the software, installed and configured it -- none of which requires you to know or do any of the old style stuff you refer to.   You do need to right click yourself a desktop icon if you want it on your desktop.

There are REASONS I keep recommending Linux Mint to people, and Software Manager is just one of them.

=========================================

"I actually use google chrome browser without a problem.... why are there folks (news  and tech writers) having such issues with it?  Maybe it is because they are disabling all the Microsoft stuff and editing their registries causing the Microsoft bug catcher to "catch" them.

How can you expect a system to work when you disable part of it?"

Old-Rider brings up a new point that is becoming a more valid point all the time -- you HAVE to "just trust" MS and leave all the stuff MS does alone since every nit and niggle they send to you each night presupposes you haven't messed at all with what they have sent you in the recent past.

So, yes, I concur that all people who mess with their settings are more likely to see issues with Win 10 and that does include all power users such as Serobot who routinely tweek their machines to suit them ever more perfectly.

What is bad is that MS will occasionally send you stuff that makes your machine sick, and you HAVE to go tweek settings and such to fix it -- perhaps firing off the next set of ills because YOU CHANGED SOMETHING and what you get tonight was built off of what MS sent you recently (presumes NO CHANGES were made by you).   Vicious cycle, no?

======================================

So, why use Linux Mint 17.2?

Easy to get.  Free.  Doesn't track you or report on you or sell you (your browser does that for you, of course).  Updates are small and bi-weekly and you pick what you push into your machine as your root password is needed to do a software update and once you are in it Update Manager ALWAYS lets you pick and choose what gets installed.  

NO UNDERSTANDING OF LINUX ANYTHING IS REQUIRED IN LINUX MINT 17.2 -- everything is controlled by XP type menus called up by hitting the Menu symbol in the bottom left hand corner of the screen or by simply right clicking on an item  (just like XP did with Start Menu and the right click trick).   Simple.  Powerful.  FAST FAST FAST (only ChromeOS is faster).    

Makes MS seem ssslllooowww when you use it.

Smiley

Mostly, it is the feeling of this when you are using it ......

hee hee ..... and they give me free software for life if I use their stuff so yeah, I occasionally promote it as they will do the same thing for you too .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #164 - 09/01/15 at 08:36:31

Of course, you can do nothing and MS will sneak in at night and stick an antenna up your butt and issue you hot sticky white armor to wear and put you to work marching in the upgrade/update torrent parade .......

Or, you can join the Rebel Alliance and stay away from the Emperor and his minions.    

But you still gotta watch out for those Borg guys trying to drill one into yer eyeball when you ain't paying attention, they like to quietly sneak up on you, they do.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 09:13:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh my! Windows 10 already?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.