Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: So, how will you upgrade to Win 10 ?   (multiple votes OK)

I will seek it joyously as fast as I can
I will watch and wait for most of a year
I am being Borged already at Win 7/8.1
I will stay out until they force it on me
Thinking about jumping ship - do something else
Will stay where I am until my hardware dies
ChromeOS or Linux for me, thank you
I JUST WANT TO SEE THE RESULTS

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 09/01/15 at 09:35:28 »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Oh my! Windows 10 already? (Read 2183 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Oh my! Windows 10 already?
06/17/15 at 06:54:00

Well, this morning I had a few updates to my system, so I let them in. After the updates were finished I noticed a new Icon on the lower right of my taskbar... it kinda looks like the icon for my aps page.
Well it turns out I have the opportunity to upgrade to windows 10.
Now, I was forced to upgrade to windows 8.1, and I do mean forced, my laptop would ask me if I wanted to upgrade to 8.1, it did that for about a week.
It then started to interrupt my online time, about once every half hour, then once ever 10 minutes, finally I could not even get my computer to boot up unless I "accepted" the upgrade because it would reboot.
Now I am wondering, just how aggressive is the windows 10 "voluntary upgrade" going to be?
It is on my task bar now, but will it just stay there? or will it start to interrupt my online time to "suggest" I upgrade?
We shall see....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oh my! Windows 10 already?
Reply #1 - 06/17/15 at 08:45:25

MS will politely tell you that Win 10 is your upgrade path and no further upgrades will be done for your Win 8.1 apart from rolling you over to Win10.

MS intends to dump support for ALL old versions ASAP (have already stopped doing everything except critical security updates already).

You will get treated pretty much the same this time around.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/18/15 at 21:10:43

Maybe time to load Linux
IF win 8.1 will let you  Undecided

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/18/15 at 22:31:52

The sneaky trick with Win10 upgrade is,... they plan to charge a yearly fee to use it from now on...
Your OS is going to be like cable service...
Pay,... pay,... pay... and you're stuck, unless you want to start from scratch...

Resist... it's not yet mandatory...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #4 - 06/19/15 at 05:17:54

Time to get a Mac.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 06/19/15 at 07:11:39

Microsoft will keep Win10 OS free for one full year, keeping religiously to what they said they were going to do.

They NEVER said Office was going to be free, or Cortana, nor any other software other than the basic OS itself.

$119 a year is too much for me to pay, even for my wife.    Right now everyone is dumping all the separate install Win 7 that is out there for prices around $60, so I bought one for my wife just yesterday.

I will upgrade her from Vista to Win7 and wait and see what the real story is going to be with Win10 as it finally becomes clear.    I will have until June of next year to figure it all out.

She can stay on Win7 because that is where her work is staying -- possibly forever -- who knows?

Business-wide upgrade and maintenance costs with Win systems are massive -- and some businesses are going over to Chromebooks and boxes for selected uses like data entry because their net cost including box & laptop hardware is lower compared to just doing the Win10 switchover (requires much fewer IT resources and REQUIRES NOTHING for their intra-net) as the old slow hardware cables, hardware, etc. is JUST FINE for ChromeOS as long as it has a good connection to the internet proper.

Microsoft really socks it to business for them maintenance fees .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 06/20/15 at 18:17:19

http://liliputing.com/2015/06/windows-10-is-a-free-for-anyone-testing-the-ins...

Windows 10 is free for anyone testing Insider Preview builds

Microsoft’s Gabe Aul says even if you did a clean install of a Windows 10 Insider Preview build from a downloaded ISO disc image, you’ll received a free update to the final build of Windows 10 once the operating system is released… and it’ll remain activated.

That’s good news for folks that had performed a clean install rather than performing an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 operating systems.

It also means that you might be able to score a free Windows 10 license on July 29th even if you’re not currently running an operating system that’s eligible for a free upgrade.

Now, it is not enough to mock the triple forked tongue with which MS speaks, nor hoot at the various mouths that say the apparently completely contradictory things --- one must actually TRY to go do it.

As we speak I am downloading the ISO that is referred to above, after creating a gmail.account and a matching MS Insider Preview account so I am a freshly minted all clean definitely not running Linux at all supposedly windows loving Win 10 trial person.    I am doing this on an old 15" XP laptop as I can sacrifice it completely and feel like I lost very very little in doing so.

We shall see, now won't we?    I am going to do the clean install mentioned above and see what happens to the old XP machine when I turn it back on ......

Huh      Undecided    Shocked

So far I am having issues getting the ISO to burn to a DVD.   Part of this is the near one hour time to download the ISO.   There are several ISO images out there --- here is a link to an IT based image that gives a DVD that can be plopped on to multiple machines (supposedly).

http://www.alphr.com/operating-systems/1000350/how-to-burn-windows-10-iso-to-...

..... follow the instructions, start the download and go to bed --- it will either be there or not in the morning.    

You need to burn it to a DVD using the ISO "image" burn function of your favorite DVD burning software.

Fair warning --- the image needs a modern burner software  (nothing that is XP era is going to  even recognize the format).

Fair warning --- you are going to need a fairly modern DVD drive that is in good shape to write the format.   Your next trap may be getting the DVD reader on your old machine to recognize what the modern DVD writer wrote.

Wink     nobody said this was going to be easy ......

Further trap -- trying to write the ISO to a USB drive then finding out your old laptop can't be set to boot from a USB drive.

You know, I begin to see why MS didn't try to upgrade the old XP machines, there are too many aged out incompatibilities to deal with concerning hardware, drivers, processor/video speed, etc.

« Last Edit: 06/21/15 at 01:51:12 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/20/15 at 21:42:08

So far I've had no win 10 prompts, good

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/21/15 at 09:44:07

Having spent most of a day now in the World of Windows, I once again realize why I personally do not want to use a Windows machine again, ever.    Windows is an unmitigated pain in the ass, sometimes I think intentionally so by MS's past plans and business decisions.

This is the second time I have said "you jest keep it" to MS's attempts at getting me to upgrade to Win 10.

I know I am not a typical "computer user" anymore but if they really want to suck everybody into Win 10 they need to make it a lot easier to do.

=========================================

I am also stubborn and persistent ...... I finally got the Vista machine to create two bootable DVDs of Win 10 Preview (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) that the Vista machine can read.    

(Note: this does not mean the older XP machines can read them -- but the Vista machine that wrote them can)  

Wife and I are discussing it -- she doesn't want any interruptions to her life and
"I don't want to learn anything new -- I am 3 years away from retiring, so screw it."    

She lives off her phone and iPad now while laying on the couch watching Downton Abby and only goes upstairs to use her PC every other day or so for something the iPad simply won't do.

Like most of us, we don't want to learn anything new or more complicated.

Ironically, the 64 bit ISO image Win 10 can be read by both my old 15" laptops (one Vista, one XP) with the XP machine grinding very slowly while loading the Win 10 preview.

The irony is that both machines run Linux Mint quick like a scalded dog --- but the new "improved" Win 10 runs like thick cold molasses on the same machines.

Win 10 for PC is NOT lighter or faster, indeed, quite the contrary -- it is BULKIER and slower even.

If you have a late Vista machine or a Win 7 machine, you can go to Win 10 with only a somewhat irritating noticeable performance penalty using your cruffed up old Vista and Win7 machine as a comparison point.   Linux on the other hand smokes both the old and the new windows, running well on the Win7 and Vista grade of machinery.

XP machines need not apply to convert to Win 10, you will fight like hell to get it loaded and then be disappointed in the way it runs -- go to Linux on the old XP machines instead and be pleased with the upgrade in speed and performance that you will see compared to your old fragmented, cluttered & choked down XP installation that you upgraded.

Is Win 10 a reason point to get a new machine?   Not if your old stuff meets your needs and you are happy with it.   Upgrading to Win 10 may cause you to get dissatisfied with your old stuff as it is slower and "somewhat lacking" when trying to run Win 10.  

Remember, once all of Win 10 gets out there completely it will require a microphone on every PC so you can talk to Cortana, and a camera so you can video Skype etc. etc. etc.     Upgraded older machines will lack mics and cameras and all these other "get to use all the full features" support hardware items ....

Should you even be considering buying a new PC period, considering what is coming up in the next year or so?    No, you would be buying a new copy of an obsoleted technology.    If you are "buying the future" simply chose your next cell phone very carefully and roll with that pathway going forward.

« Last Edit: 06/22/15 at 04:48:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 06/21/15 at 20:14:28

Downloading the .iso files tonight, going to have to sign up for the "insider" or what ever.
Going to load it up on the ol' 15" VISTA machine.... the one I've been using to play with Linux with.
I clicked on the x86 English download and my "save as" came up as x649266.iso
But the bottom line downloading says x324966.iso... so what the heck am I getting? I have no idea, but I will download the X64.iso next and burn both images to dvd.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 06/22/15 at 06:12:52

Burned both .iso images onto discs, so now I have a x32 bit copy and a x64 bit copy of win10.
Took me approx. 2 hours to go the full route with downloading / making / installing win 10 on the 15" laptop.
I already had a Microsoft account so signing up for the insider was as easy as saying "yes" and automatically I was registered.
However during the install process I had to boot from cd/dvd, because when I opened my file folder and clicked on the install.exe it kept telling me that it would not upgrade from vista or xp, but once I hit restart on my laptop with the disc in, "viola" it loaded. (laptop was vista)
I'm off to play with it this morning, I have not looked at my hard drive since the load, it will not allow a multi-boot start, so I don't know if it re-partitioned the disc or not.
I was lucky in that it recognized my wireless router right off the bat all I had to do was put in the password.
I did find all my original discs for the vista load in a file cabinet so I can totally reload it if needed.

About joining the Insider Preview, it is my understanding that since I joined before the deadline, I can now use win 10 on all my computers. They suggest using an "older system" and not use your primary because it could fail.
Funny huh? Letting you use it now, but not on your main system... yup I signed the agreement, lets hope it doesn't fry my little laptop electronically, just software. Grin

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 06/22/15 at 06:52:59

Well, it just wrote over my vista and did not re-partition the hard drive.
So now I just have 9gigs left on the 85gig partition.

Maybe i'll re-do the whole drive to see if it will speed up as like old feller says, this vista machine is kinda slow using the win 10 (although it might be from all the partitions I have on this hard drive).

Funny thing, it remembered all my "favorites" on my browser but did not remember the passwords.
All my photo's and music disappeared (was expected) but the new install is still huge! Either that or it did not delete the files just stored them in a folder somewhere.
I cannot believe that windows 10 is 76gigs....
I think i'll go ahead and redo this laptop and start from scratch seeing as I have the discs already made for the upgrade.
That way my four copies of Linux will be off and I will only have one partition instead of 7. Smiley

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 06/22/15 at 07:26:25

76 gigs? I'm not sure my extant machine can handle that

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 06/22/15 at 07:55:30

Remember, Win 10 slow, Linux fast.

If you feel you need windows, yeah do get the one that will roll forward into the future.

My main machine, the one I use, remains Linux Mint --- and I know that Windows hasn't changed its basic nature in any meaningful way, but my wife needs it.

So, I within the next calendar year I will convert the two 15" laptops and one 13" laptop over to Win 10 eventually so she will always have her Windows for work related purposes.   My wife may tell me to stop at Win 7, but we shall see on that one since it is only a temporary at this point in time.

She will likely want to upgrade her Office when her work does, and this will likely cost me some money.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #14 - 06/22/15 at 08:08:19

liliputing just added an update to their article:

http://liliputing.com/2015/06/windows-10-is-a-free-for-anyone-testing-the-ins...

liliputing also references this article on ComputerWorld:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2938636/microsoft-windows/microsoft-mudd...

Microsoft's double speak has confused the issue about a free update to the final Windows 10 build for Windows 10 Insider Preview users.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 10:15:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh my! Windows 10 already?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.