Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: So, how will you upgrade to Win 10 ?   (multiple votes OK)

I will seek it joyously as fast as I can
I will watch and wait for most of a year
I am being Borged already at Win 7/8.1
I will stay out until they force it on me
Thinking about jumping ship - do something else
Will stay where I am until my hardware dies
ChromeOS or Linux for me, thank you
I JUST WANT TO SEE THE RESULTS

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 09/01/15 at 09:35:28 »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Oh my! Windows 10 already? (Read 2183 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Oh my! Windows 10 already?
Reply #180 - 09/10/15 at 02:19:53

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/01/15 at 09:31:43:
We have a new poll for you to vote in -- vote for as many items as you wish, since all this one does is sense your reactions and overall impressions of the Win 10 roll out at this point in time.

You can change your vote by deleting your old one and re-voting as things change.

Why provide the opportunity to change to Chrome or Linux and not the opportunity to say
"no thanks, I'm buying Apple"

I mean, I know you can reformat any hard drive and install Linux (know nothing of Chrome OS, perhaps it doesn't exist this side to the Ocean) but I noticed my latest HP desktop has better hardware characteristics than my son's iMac 21"...
Huh
Roll Eyes
Cheesy
Hmmm...  Wink

...imagine... loading AppleOSX on an HP PC !!!  Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #181 - 09/11/15 at 09:18:34

http://liliputing.com/2015/09/your-pc-might-download-windows-10-even-if-you-d...

Your PC is having Windows 10 pushed to it even if you don’t plan to upgrade and haven't signed up for it at all

Many Win 7 \ Win 8.x users who allowed the Borg to drill out their eyeballs and insert their butt antenna through not actively resisting the Borg nightly visits might want to check their hard drives for a VERY LARGE six gigabyte hidden folder with files that just showed up on your machine in the last night or two.

Yup, it is your full white Stormtrooper Clone outfit, ready for the Borg to fit you into while you sleep.    One morning you will just wake up and clank as your white armored feet hit the carpet.

"The Register got a note from a reader, pointing out that he had not registered for the Windows 10 update, but that he found a huge file in a hidden folder on his computer that suggested his PC had downloaded the Windows 10 installation files.

So The Register reached out to Microsoft, and a representative confirmed that “we help upgradeable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade.”

In other words, if you’ve got automatic updates turned on (which you should, since this is how Microsoft pushes important security updates to your computer), Microsoft may send up to 6GB of data to your computer.

That’s kind of a huge waste of bandwidth and storage if you have no intention of upgrading to Windows 10. On the other hand, if you do plan to upgrade, it should speed up the process since you should already have many of the files you need on your computer.

Want to delete the folder to free up space? Microsoft will just download it again. But you can (at least temporarily) stop your computer from trying to download Windows 10 files by uninstalling the KB3035583 update."

It is interesting to note that KB3035583 did something that it wasn't supposed to do and that YOU DIDN'T PRE-APPROVE when you allowed it, but this is typical behavior for "Microsoft the guileful and conniving" them super sneaky Win 10 pushers that they are.

Don't want Windows 10?   Tough --- MS says you will be assimilated anyway .....

(you will eventually allow a KB update that has the word upgrade or update or some other up- word in it then wammo, you got your white armor on when you wake up the next day)

« Last Edit: 09/11/15 at 12:13:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #182 - 09/11/15 at 09:57:50

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-windows-10-upgrade-downloads-if-youre-not-...

Lifehacker says now that there are SEVERAL "mis-labled" nightly KB sends are now able to fit you up with your white clone outfit that you don't want and didn't ask for.  

That is a neat new MS trick MS is using now, when they RE-RE-RE-SEND their endless chain of repeat repeat repeat KBs they add some extra code to them to be carried along with the repeat repeat repeat nightly nonsense.

Ain't that guileful, sneaky and conniving of them ?????

"Microsoft is downloading it anyway. Here’s how to block it.

For the Windows 10 update, Microsoft has chosen to automatically start the download process, regardless of whether you’ve confirmed you want the update. This makes some sense for those who use automatic updates normally, except Windows 10 can be huge. As in multiple gigabytes huge. If you have a capped data connection, or simply don’t want to bother downloading it right now, Ghacks has laid out some steps for blocking the updates:

Search for “Programs and features” in the Start Menu.
Select “view installed updates” on the left side of the window.
Windows 7: locate the following updates: 3035583, 2952664, 3021917
Windows 8: locate the following updates: 3035583, 2976978
Right-click each update select uninstall.
Select Restart Later when the prompt appears.
Restart when you’ve finished these steps for each update.
Once you’ve finished this process, you’ll need to block the updates from being installed again. To do that, follow these steps:

Search for Windows Update in the Start Menu.
Choose “check for updates.” Windows should find the same updates from above.
Click on “important update is available.”
Right-click each of the updates above and select “Hide update.”

This should prevent your computer from downloading those updates again in the future. Keep in mind that if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 later, you’ll need to unblock these updates. However, this should help prevent Microsoft from downloading several gigabytes of data to your machine when you’re not ready for it."

Normal Win 7 users who did not plan on upgrading are NOW PAYING TO PUSH 6 GIG UPDATES ALL OVER THE INTERNET -- wonder what that is going to do to their monthly data plan charges ????

=========================================

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/11/windows-10-update/

Now a new issue, this year's crop of Chromekillers are choking out all over the place as their carefully monitored little bitty hard drives are getting overwhelmed by the unplanned re-re-repeated nightly visitors .....

"Today in ‘things we wish Microsoft would ask really, really nicely about before they just went ahead and did it without telling us’, it’s Windows 7 & 8 quietly downloading Windows 10 for you, regardless of whether or not you intend to install it.

But it will download between 3.5GB and 6GB of data, which is bad news for anyone with a download cap, as well as leaving that data sat on your hard drive, which is bad news for anyone with a weeny-teeny SSD. Some ultralite laptops and hybrids have a mere 32GB capacity, so that’s going to sting.

The folder’s also hidden by default, which may leave the unaware flummoxed as to quite where all their space has gone.    Go to Folder Options in Windows explorer (alt-f-o is a keyboard shortcut to it), view, then select ‘Show Hidden Files and Folders’ and you should then spot a ‘$Windows.~BT’ folder hanging around the root directory of your main hard drive.

I still don’t know entirely how seriously to take all the privacy issues, but stuff like this just makes me sigh. I’m prepared to ascribe it to over-enthusiasm, but it’s a shame that a good OS keeps raining on its own parade."

« Last Edit: 09/12/15 at 02:54:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 01:10:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh my! Windows 10 already?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.