YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: My First Savage
Reply #105 - 04/01/15 at 05:44:53

projectfj wrote on 04/01/15 at 05:11:47:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll track some down before I put the pulley back on. Hopefully a local auto parts store will have it.

Or Graingers, or Fastenal....or a really good hardware store.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #106 - 04/01/15 at 06:26:15

So far I've tried advanced auto parts, o'reilly's, fastenal, and napa. Napa is the only ones that said it was a valid PN, but said it was obsolete. The only NAPA in the US that has it is Salt Lake City, Utah and they won't ship chemicals. I've found it online at
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/permatex-bearing-mount-adhesive-for-worn-parts...
http://www.race-mart.com/product.asp?itemid=322937&gclid=CMfOt9Oa1cQCFchQ7Aod...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321420651659?lpid=82&chn=ps
It seems they quit making the stuff or replaced it with something. It looks like I'll be getting it online for $6 and slapped with a $10 shipping fee for a 6mL tube.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #107 - 04/01/15 at 10:49:40

I went ahead and got some off
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/permatex-bearing-mount-adhesive-for-worn-parts...
I called in an order and they said they only had 3 left in stock. They did USPS flat rate shipping so my total came out to a little over $12. The ebay one seemed sketchy since there was an "extended handling time greater than 9 business days." The race-mart one had a minimum order of 6 I believe and shipping was higher. Just letting y'all know in case you need some since I guess they discontinued the stuff.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #108 - 04/01/15 at 11:04:21

The numbers on these products sure are confusing....I am sure they still make a similar product but have changed the number on the bottle/tube.

JB Weld might even be a better product.

The Permatex has a 3,000 psi strength and is good to 300 degrees.

The JB Weld has a 3,960 psi strength and is good to 550 degrees.

http://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-weld-twin-tube

With either one...you are going to have to heat the sprocket up with a torch before you can slide it off....the Permatex stuff won't need as much heat.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #109 - 04/01/15 at 18:21:21

I've seen some Permatex bearing mount for closed/relaxed fits. Maybe that's what superseded it. I might have should got some JB Weld, but I wanted to be able to take the pulley off in the future without too much force. I know I'll need to heat the bearing mount up to get it to free up, and heard getting JB Weld to free up was almost as bad as an actual weld. Hopefully the Permatex will work for what I need it for. It better since I had to go out of my way and spend half a day trying to find the stuff, when the JB Weld was sitting on every shelf of every parts store in town. Got the rear tire back and on today. All that's left is the drive pulley and belt. I'll take some pictures of the finished product when I get it all the way back together unless something else proves to be problematic.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #110 - 04/07/15 at 11:14:29

As of today, my bike is 99% back together (minus the tool kit cover on the battery that just doesn't want to go on). Everything is adjusted, inspected, filled, etc. Cranked up no problem, didn't puke oil everywhere, and sounds amazing. I might not even have to straight pipe it like I thought I might. First test drive went well. Shifted nicely, rode smoothly. Maybe I'll take it out for a short trip this afternoon. I did notice that the exhaust started smoking from the header down to where the muffler starts. As it heated up it gradually cleared out. Must have been something in there that shouldn't have been. I'll keep a check on it to see if it clears up. I'll try to get some pictures of the finished product up on here sometime this week and will let y'all know how a few rounds about town go. It feels good to be back on two wheels and I thank everyone that made it happen.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #111 - 04/13/15 at 17:10:09

I made a pretty good loop around town the other day. Still smoking, but not too bad. Oil level was fine when I got back.

I did have a neighbor come over and tell me my brake light wasn't working. He was right, neither front nor rear brake depressed made the brake light shine. The running light worked, and I noticed y'all recommended checking the bulb as it a dual filament. Changed it out with a new one with the same results. The front brake lever clicks when depressed. Where is the switch for it? I know the rear brake switch is behind the muffler on the swingarm, I'll attempt to adjust it soon. Somebody said it was easy to get to with the muffler off so I'll remove it and see if I can't find a leak while it's off.

Also, it backfires pretty loud coming off high RPMs. I have a pancake K&N filter, and I think the PO may have drilled the exhaust. May need rejetting, I'll see what LANCER recommends one of these days. I've made a few necks pop around after a good "belch of power" as verslagen1 calls it.

The last thing (for now I guess) is the leaking fork seals. I've already bought them, but was wondering if I should go ahead and replace them or wait til this winter and ride all summer.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #112 - 04/22/15 at 15:04:32

I promised a few picture so here you go. A late night hunger run to Waffle House:

IMG_20150409_032439_238.jpg
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #113 - 04/22/15 at 15:06:00

And I tried to get scenic with this lock and dam in the middle of about a fifty mile joyride:

IMG_20150422_153809_711.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #114 - 04/22/15 at 15:08:53

any picture with a savage is either scenic or artistic, some can be artistic scenes.

WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #115 - 04/22/15 at 15:59:03

Does this video sound like the cam chain death rattle?

https://youtu.be/CeGqmqywNUA

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #116 - 04/22/15 at 16:21:01

Pretty hard to tell, feel the cover by the oil filter cover.
if you feel a tappin that's it.

otherwise, go at it with a mech's stethoscope.
try to locate the tappin.

« Last Edit: 04/22/15 at 17:33:00 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #117 - 04/23/15 at 16:11:27

I didn't feel any tapping on the oil filter or clutch cover all the way around. I was worried because it has 33,7XX miles on it, and the one thing I meant to do and forgot to do was measure the cam chain while I had the motor in pieces. So the first thing that came to mind was stupid me, and how I get to tear it all the way back down after putting it all the way back together. Plus dealing with that bearing mount and the drive pulley nut would be the icing on the cake.

It sounds like it's coming more from the top of the cylinder, and somebody suggested it might be valve tap. Are the valves being out of wack what causes that or could it be a worn camshaft or am I wrong on both accounts?

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #118 - 04/24/15 at 15:34:48

Well today my neutral light quit working, and when I put the kickstand down in neutral my bike dies. I should probably stop asking questions on this thread, but it's my rags to riding story. Any ideas on what could be funking up my wiring?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #119 - 04/24/15 at 15:43:21

projectfj wrote on 04/24/15 at 15:34:48:
Well today my neutral light quit working, and when I put the kickstand down in neutral my bike dies. I should probably stop asking questions on this thread, but it's my rags to riding story. Any ideas on what could be funking up my wiring?

well... your kickstand safety works   Grin

sounds like you light isn't dead, it's just off.
I'm not sure if a burnt out light will cause the safety not to work.
but would be the 1st thing to check.
then make the wire is still connected.
then check to see if the neutral switch works.
it's possible the diode is burnt out too.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 08:00:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.