Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version (Read 1724 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version
Reply #120 - 04/11/14 at 00:15:46

I don't think avast fixed anything tbh, it 'put things in the chest'
the seating position is great on the highway, not so great around town, but I've had one of these before, you get used to it quickly, and the position isn't full on sportbike crouch, it's more sport touring
also there are some things you can do to help with that, motorcycle larry makes a riser kit that moves the bars up 1 inch, and I think there's a company that makes a peg lowering kit

the S40 is not sold yet, in fact it's only listed on here so far
I gotta clean the carbs on the Ninja, too *sigh* kids and there short attention spans
'this isn't as cool as I thought it would be, I'll just park it for a few years and then sell it when I need money'

I realy need to get that instal done, and pray I still have a working comp afterward
of course as I've said, I could always go phone only

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #121 - 04/12/14 at 09:37:35

Mint is nuts...

My desktop is blank half the time,(no icons or wallpaper... but, sometimes just wallpaper)... right-click on desktop does nothing, and selecting Desktop Settings in menu does nothing...
(EDIT) mounting my separate media file drive seems to have put all icons back on desktop, (no idea why)...
My audio player quit working...(gives "error" on all songs)...
(EDIT) just reinstalled all music files and now they play, but there seems to be no way to save them as a playlist...

Buggy ,buggy, buggy...

... and this is depressing...

I may start hunting for a Windows 7 copy...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #122 - 04/12/14 at 11:19:35

I don't know squat about computers and that looks bad to me

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #123 - 04/12/14 at 11:52:07

"this comp will soon stop receiving GC updates B/c it's hardware is no longer supported"

???

Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #124 - 04/12/14 at 14:17:32

Serowbot,

Please stay on topic, please,  you have just posted a video of Mint KDE which is about as far away from the recommended Mint Mate 17 as you can get and still be a Mint product.  

KDE isn't even directly supported by the Mint folks, they allow a group of  their users to port KDE over to Mint and when they are satisfied the group finally got it stable enough (and for KDE that is a relative term) they put it on the site.   This generally takes about a year to happen, so the KDE version is always quite a bit behind as KDE gets no great amount of support anywhere any more.   But some love it, but not me.

KDE is about the most complex and buggy thing out there, which is why I don't recommend using it.  

However, if you really want to scare the crap out of people with the wrong distro information, post some Puppy or Slackware config set ups, that should scare the crap out of anybody.

Next, you have chopped up, moved and modified your standard load quite a bit by this point in time -- and you are acting surprised that the operating system goes looking where the stuff is supposed to be and can't find it?  

Having you post your trials and tribulations concerning your willful modifications is OK, but please be clear about what you are doing.
  You are not using the default set up or structure, so please remind folks of that as you go through your pain and suffering as you chop and nip and tuck.

Nobody has seen the Mint Mate 17 that is recommended because it isn't out yet.

Before you start turning folks off by beating him up, how about let's wait for the contender to actually get into the ring?

AND YES, for a Windows user paying $100 out of pocket to get a single install copy of Window 7 would likely be the very easiest Windows to jump over to.   But it is still $100 out of your pocket and it won't fit/work on older hardware very well.   Mint Mate 17 will.

You will be paying $100 to get to use Windows 7 for the next 6 years (Win 7 dies in 2020).

Or you can wait a month and a half and take a look at LTS Mint Mate 17 when it becomes available.

And also please remember that novice users like Art make no differentiation from the esoterica that you post back to the calm reality of a standard automatic install that Mint Mate normally does.

Huh    But you can get him to squeal in fear fairly easily if that is what you are trying to do ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #125 - 04/12/14 at 14:25:13

verslagen1 wrote on 04/12/14 at 11:52:07:
"this comp will soon stop receiving GC updates B/c it's hardware is no longer supported"

???

Huh

Microsoft speak for "Go give us some more money, sucker"

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #126 - 04/12/14 at 14:42:18

Mint Mate 16 has been pretty close to flawless so far. But I admit I haven't made many changes to the default install.  I just installed all the 1 and 2 level upgrades and downloaded chrome as a second browser - mostly because I'm used to it 'cause it's what I was using on XP.

If 17 is actually better I'm probably going to buy the DVD when it's out and just give it the whole HD. I've only got one program that has to have windows - the DTC database for my auto scan tool - and if I can't get it to run using WINE I'll just load it on the wife's laptop.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #127 - 04/12/14 at 14:57:02

Now, I am going to agree with Serowbot about something and try to make it very clear what I am trying to say.

Distros are tuned and polished to work well.   If you download a new distro (especially an LTS version) it is STABLE and everything works together well.   The installation program does a very good job of finding all your hardware and stuff, and it all just works.

AS IT IS DONE BY THE DVD INSTALL PROGRAM -- your Linux Mint Mate is as good as it gets.

Start messing about with it a lot and you will induce some dependency errors and some failure to locate key items from that other program that are used by this program, etc. etc. etc.   Start deleting a bunch of programs (some of which are system support related) can remove files (dependencies) that are used by other programs.  So don't delete the stuff in a standard install, it is all there for a reason.  Don't move it from where it sits, either.

Now, knowing enough to properly fix that sort of stuff is kinda rare out there in user land, so let me give you a clue about how to fix it if you do go do that to yourself.

Reinstall the DVD.  Tell it you want a fresh install of all software.

Wow, just like in Windows when you get it all hacked up and stuff stops working.   Amazing, ain't it?

Pretty quickly you will learn not to let yourself run all wild, running amuck & changing all sorts of stuff, as the pain and suffering really isn't worth it.  

Use your Software Manager to install programs -- it gets the right one for the distro version you are using and puts it in the right places and builds the right dependencies (that is what the Software Manager is for).   Software is free, so using the right one doesn't cost you anything extra, and it saves you pain and suffering.  

You can add all the stuff you want using the Software Manager, but don't go around arbitrarily deleting or moving stuff (or you may buy some pain and suffering from the broken dependency thing).

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #128 - 04/12/14 at 15:58:34

Also, about these Windows 7 OEM disks that are selling right now for $99 -- they are one shot install disks, foul them up and you are out of luck as they are OEM software (install once on one machine).

This is why the full retail package costs so much more, it can be installed on a PC and a laptop and if it gets fouled up you can get a code to reinstall it (by calling MS support and asking pretty pretty please).

Old-rider just clocked 10+ hours on a Vista reinstall (and he still has to load all his software when he is done with the OS install).

Reinstalling Mint Mate will take you no more than hour and you install all the common softwares with it when you do that.

Reinstalling or upgrading LTS Linux Mint Mate is something that happens every 5 years, takes about an hour to do and doesn't cost you a penny.

Sticking with LTS to LTS means you always get fully polished, carefully tuned stuff that all works correctly.

It is the lazy old fart's dream, easy to do, cheap, and it works good.  

Cheesy

And you never have to defrag or mess with an anti-virus scan or update ever again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #129 - 04/12/14 at 18:07:36

I agree mint (16) is confusing a little... settings, menu and desktop are all down bottom left.
You have to go to the settings and pick what you want on your desktop.
It is a different OS and different than windows start button.
I have managed to set my screen saver to the planets which are cool, you can import pictures to linux and save them to files there, which makes them easier to use, either that or keep going to c:/ and find your file everytime.
I have been using 16 on my little laptop for awhile, till I crashed it, but once I reloaded it i'm finding it easier to use every time I play with it I learn something new.
I have now got my little laptop in the garage so I can use it for reference while working on the bikes and other projects in the garage since it is warmer weather now.
LOL, wife asked me where I was at 2 o'clock last night.... I was in my "man room" honey... guess it beats me being out on the town. Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #130 - 04/12/14 at 23:22:34

well I sure as hell wouldn't be hacking it up, I like my OSs like I like my motorcycles, basicaly stock (with maybe a few bolt ons)
I will want Chrome for my browser, but I doubt that'll be hard to manage
I am slowly, very slowly, wading into the user guide
I need to find a youtube vid re changing my system battery, too

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #131 - 04/14/14 at 00:16:40

just checked mt C drive and I show 17.9 GB available, I need 20 right? might need to compress
still reading guide

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #132 - 04/14/14 at 00:57:34

I allowed Mint to decide what partition it needed,.. and it took 185gigs...

It's a petite girl that wants the whole queen size bed... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #133 - 04/14/14 at 02:51:15

It will fit in 17.9.   Once you defrag completely and compact the drive you will have a lot more free space.   Remember to do this in windows before you do the install disk or it will take forever to install.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #134 - 04/14/14 at 05:31:36

I gotta say I am really liking Linux Mint.  I seem to prefer Cinnamon over Mate. I use it almost exclusively now on my main Win 7 computer out in the shop.  The only time I boot into Win 7 on that computer is when I need to use SolidWorks, SprutCam and Adobe Illustrator for my machining and design work.
I have it loaded on my lap top, my neighbors XP machine and soon I am going to put it on my wifes Vista machine, after I reformat and re-install Vista as that computer has been running the original factory install for quite a few years now .  I have two spare HDD in stalled on the shop computer so I will soon replace the one with Mint/Mate 16 for the new Mate Cinnamon when it comes out.
Thanks Oldfeller for all your input and advice!
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 18:47:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.