Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version (Read 1724 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version
Reply #105 - 04/08/14 at 19:37:09

honestly this is a lot of info to manage
my printer is out og ink, I'll see if I can access this thread from work tomorrow and print the user guide, I think I will absorb it better from hardcopy, and I'm sure I'll need to reference it during the install

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #106 - 04/08/14 at 19:43:11

old_rider wrote on 04/08/14 at 19:34:21:
HEHEH.....start a new post...computer problem or some such... take pic's of your puter all sides... we could tell you how to crack the nut... and maybe help find your battery.

Also..if you keep having the bios error (low battery) and setting it to "default" to get it to boot, it means you shouldn't have much of a problem replacing your battery as you will have to reset it to default after the change.

I'm not resetting, just hitting F1

Or do you have to do that? or is the error just letting you know the system battery is low?

Or find your model and look it up on a youtube video

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #107 - 04/08/14 at 19:44:31

I may ask the local computer repair guy how much he would charge for the install, my relatives who know PCs seldom have time for me

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #108 - 04/08/14 at 20:33:21

Well, its always a good thing to read the manual first, that way maybe you can figure out what you need to do.

There usually is a trouble shoot section in there...

And you can always go to the local computer repair guy and ask what they charge. But if you are not computer savvy some of those guys will take advantage of you, not saying all of them do, I would ask around and see who is recommended. See if the business has a website or check you local town internet info and see if there are any complaints or recommendations there.
Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #109 - 04/08/14 at 22:20:25

Linux...
It's the little things that get me...

Yahoo is my right-click search engine... I want Google... can't see how to change it...
... and even though I've set my preferences in power manager and screensaver to never sleep... my monitor goes sleepy byes... in 10 minutes...

... and as I type responses here... something keeps deleting what I type, and inserting the link menu  into my message...

... and in Cairo's docklet,.. I can't get docked folders to work.. they just don't open...

Little PIA's that drive me nutty...

Beyond,... annoying...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #110 - 04/08/14 at 22:58:42

Yeah...i'm goofing around trying to get the .iso image burned from mate 16  64bit... but it isn't working no matter what I do the discs won't work, so I downloaded 15 cinnamon  and its loading as I type, worked first time.
Now downloading 16 mate 32bit to see if it will work.......

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #111 - 04/09/14 at 06:54:47

Serowbot wrote on 04/08/14 at 22:20:25:
Linux...

Yahoo is my right-click search engine... I want Google... can't see how to change it...  

Now I am going to ASSuME that you are in Firefox right now.   Cick on the arrow to the left of the right hand search bar -- bottom of the box Manage Search Engines>bottom of the box blue ink Get more Search Engines>bottom of that green page Commercial Search Engines> click on the Google symbol.   Now clean up the list of search engines to remove all the ones you don't want.  

I'd keep Chrome browser around on your machine for now since it is the one that seems to be working better now days.

... and even though I've set my preferences in power manager and screensaver to never sleep... my monitor goes sleepy byes... in 10 minutes...

I am not running the same version as yours, so this is approximate.  There is a hibernate in there somewhere, you need to find it and adjust it too.

... and as I type responses here... something keeps deleting what I type, and inserting the link menu  into my message...

This only happens in Firefox and YaBB text boxes and it just started with the last Firefox upgrade -- drives me nuts too.   If it isn't fixed by Mint 17 it may drive me over to Chrome Browser as my use default.

... and in Cairo's docklet,.. I can't get docked folders to work.. they just don't open...    

Don't use this one, so I have no opinion.

« Last Edit: 04/09/14 at 08:11:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #112 - 04/09/14 at 07:10:00

When 17 LTS comes out, there will be a lot more information about tweeks and problems/fixes this and that.

People tend to just flinch past the boo boos in the little stutter burp 6 month versions since they aren't around very long anyway -- and since Linux Mint takes up only 15-20 gigs they also tend to keep the last 2-3 versions that worked really well on their hard drive and if they get really irritated at something will just revert to a version that worked totally well for them.   This last one was very solid until Firefox began to screw up, so I guess I'll just Chrome along until Mint 17 comes out.

Point being this -- the LTS versions get the needed effort to come out relatively polished and more flawless use-wise, and they tend to get more little things fixed over the course of their 5 year run -- and as you mess with it more and more you will learn to stick with the LTS versions that work well for you for as long as you can.

Next point, Firefox has a lack of skilled people issues right now and is cutting back on problem fix/control because of this -- Chrome is beginning to be the predominate browser both in Linux and in the rest of computing as well because it is working relatively better at all of the things you use a browser for and is coming across as more flaw free as well.  

It may in fact be a better browser long term going forward.

I don't like it, I wish it wasn't so -- I have loved Firefox for a long long time now and want it to get back on its feet and roll forward again.  But things like the YaBB text list thing can't continue -- it is enough to make me switch.

PS.   The YaBB thingie starts out when you copy/paste something -- it is like it stays stuck in the paste buffer and every time you do anything selecting with the mouse it drops what is in the paste buffer in that spot as a little symbol that later on (when the screen rolls) blows out into a full paste.

PS, the issue may be with YaBB text boxes and something modern standards-wise, YaBB isn't noted for keeping up in general.  

And Mysterious doesn't run the current version of YaBB either -- sometimes is 2 back from the current intentionally as upgrading YaBB is a pain in the butt plus YaBB current is always sorta buggy.   YaBB is more like a programmer's tool box anyway, not an app or a program or a distro like we like to think about them.

=====================

Selecting which OS to boot.   One of the magical things Boot Repair Disk will do is let you re-rank the boot order of your stuff.

Even if you have 3-4 different OS versions on there.   Shocked 

So, not only does it fix Windows root kit attacks it can let you keep backup versions of Linux Mint easy at hand, and let you roll an old one to the fore again if you get tired of what you are currently playing with.

And you will go distro hopping, eventually.   Peppermint, Centos, lordy there are just so many things to try out there that you just can't help yourself.  I just gotta go sample one every once and a while.  

I can comfortably hold 4 distros on my 80 gig hard drive at a time, but generally keep it trimmed to the current best and the beloved favorite oldie and one "current experiment".   The experiment tends to get its partition cleared if it isn't as usable as the current Mint LTS and I have kept Mint Mate 9 (last Gnome2 natural version) as my oldy goldy for the longest time now.

BTW, you can download the ISO and burn a copy of the old Linux Mint releases, all of them are available from the Mint repository.   So if a hard drive were to totally just drop dead you could still get back the one you loved the very best.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #113 - 04/10/14 at 00:18:22

well I got my Bios setting written down, though I believe they're pretty much the default setting, but I had no time at work today to try to print the manual
I don't like the sound of these issues people much more knowklegable than me are having, but I will persevere
Also, I loaded avast free version last night and it found an adware wound up in ALL my browsers, among other thing

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #114 - 04/10/14 at 08:19:17

Art, fear not, we are discussing issues that long term Mint users have between various upgrades of the distro.   And of various upgrades of browser varants which come and go much more fequently.

Issues with the text box on YaBB posting box (the list here) likely have to do with YaBB but only show on the latest version of Firefox (which seems to change every month or two now).

Issues are issues, they come and go.   Glad you are making some progress, sounds like you be able to will heal up your XP to a certain degree and get your Bios battery replaced.

Check the free version of https://www.malwarebytes.org/ out as a one shot anti-everything, I keep a copy of it on my wife's machine and I run it after Avast has done its best to find the rest of the crap that constantly gets on her machines at school.   You never find it all, really ....

My wife lives in a virus pit called a University and they too are struggling to survive with a whole lot of old XP machines everywhere.   They are likely to temporarily spend the money to buy Microsoft's cost you out the butt coverage for a few years until they find some other path to take.

And believe me, somebody will come up with a path.  If the world crunches on MS enough over the XP killing thing, Windows 9 might come out and be suitable to run on an XP box and by then Microsoft will be suffering enough to be amenable on the price.

But that would depend on MS being able to write a decent OS for Win 9 that people would really want -- which so far shows no signs of happening -- preliminary builds look like Win 8.1 still according to the pundits.   There was a Windroid for a short time, but it looks like it isn't being pursued now.

Something about losing two of their software packages to FOSS suits over copying FOSS code I understand.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #115 - 04/10/14 at 09:00:13

Art, don't mind me,.. I'm just really picky...

Being picky is how I learn my way around new things...

Thanks, OF... I'll work from your suggestions...

EDIT.. update.. I got Google to be my search,.. thanks OF... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #116 - 04/10/14 at 09:17:57

Been trying to get the old PC (Compac Presario) to accept the 32bit version of mint 15 cinnamon, but it don't like it...

It keeps coughing and sputtering as it is loading, I am going to try to defrag it and try again. This puter' is probably 8yrs old and is my trial for complete Linux OS.

LOL, only thing is I don't think I have a xp disc anywhere, i'll look around, this was the mother-in-laws old PC, it was LOADED with little bugs (she literally clicked on anything that looked interesting).

I also have the wife's old pc, that if moms won't work out then i'll put it on hers. It is about 6yrs old and I built it personally from bits and pieces from tiger direct. I used to build all the families PC's according to what they needed them for, sent my super gaming machine to my son in Illinois and he broke it...sigh... it is now about 4 years old, wish I had it back to play with.

I also have a couple of old hard drives with windows on them laying about and i'll try to load some real old versions of Linux on them just for giggles, if I can get them to recognize all the stuff in the wife's puter.

Raises my blood pressure on occasion, and I cuss a lot, but it helps me forget my current situation and it keeps my mind from turning to pudding (its jelly now). Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #117 - 04/10/14 at 11:23:34

If you're looking for a light Linux that will load try Peppermint.  

Mint based, comes in 32 and 64, small and light enough to fit on a CD.   Issue to me was that it didn't use major programs and it went to cloud resources by default more than I liked.   I guess what you do is unload the stuff you don't like and go to the software manager to find the stuff you do like.  

But it always has loaded and installed without any issues for me.

http://peppermintos.com/

Also, you don't have to load old versions of Linux on old machines (you are used to having to hunt for obsolete drivers for Windows -- Linux keeps all drivers available as a part of the kernel).

When Mint auto detects your machine it tags out the proper drivers and loads them automatically.   This is one of the reasons you should have all your attached junk on the machine when you load the distro, so it can go find all the drivers for it during auto-detect.

This includes all-in-one HP printers and Epson label makers and whatever junk you got -- plug it all up and load the distro.

Wink

Do you have a CD/DVD cleaning disk to stick in your drive to clean the crap off the photo-sensor reader head?

Old equipment sits around and gets filmy stuff on the optic sensor with age ....

« Last Edit: 04/10/14 at 19:31:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #118 - 04/10/14 at 19:26:22

well it turns out avast was a bad thing,  my computer basicaly quit working, at least for net, and was dragging badly at other tasks too
removed avast, comp is back to functional, though annoying
I still didn't get the manual printed out, spent most of the day today fixing a flat on the rear of the S40

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #119 - 04/10/14 at 19:29:37

Avast is an ongoing resource hog that slows down any computer you put it on.

I like the free Malwarebytes because I only load it when I need it to go clean up some crap.

Any modern antivirus will slow an XP class machine to a molasses crawl, using ALL your available memory and processor power --- but then again you got to get the evil off of there periodically.  

I just started Malwarebytes, told it to go update itself and then run C:  -- and went to bed.

I see you sold your Savage and bought yourself a crotch rocket -- how is that seating position doing for you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:35:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.