Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
s40 making rattling sound while sitting engine off (Read 112 times)
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
s40 making rattling sound while sitting engine off
06/01/14 at 10:21:38

freakin rattlesnake coiled up inside the bike somewhere..
my 59yr old bones leaped off the bike at the same time the serpent came slithering out..
not too big but not a juvenile either, he acted like he didn't want to leave, was more interested in striking me, so he took a bullet  Wink

now before anybody starts screaming "bad gun" it's MY fault the critter is dead, NOT the gun's fault.. it's just a tool  Tongue

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: s40 making rattling sound while sitting engine
Reply #1 - 06/01/14 at 11:31:15

Are you, like, Serious? That could have been a trip to the hospital NOBODY needs! I've heard of rat bikes, but never a RATTLER bike! BTW, when training with Uncle Army in SoCal, I always kept a CO2 fire extinguisher handy. They would crawl inside the tents at night (to get warm) and too often overstayed their welcome. One good spray in the pits and they were stunned enough to cut, hit with a stick or just grab and fling (NOT recommended). Shooting is a good option, if a gun is handy and no danger of colateral damage.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 06/01/14 at 13:59:12

WHOA!! We have rattlers here in AZ too, but I've never heard of one getting into a bike. I hope you waited until he was out of the bike before you shot it, otherwise you'd be giving a literal meaning the the word "bulletproof" when describing a Savage.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #3 - 06/01/14 at 14:19:16

serious about him being inside the bike somewhere..
Lucky they make that "rattling" and I knew that sound, I haven't jumped like that for 20yrs..
I confess the 20ga shotgun was in the house, so he didn't "take a bullet" like I previously posted, but his head is somewhere in the Mesquite patch.

I got a buddy that makes beautiful pistol grips out of snake skin but I don't have the testicles required to skin him properly (snake not my buddy)  Grin

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 06/01/14 at 17:23:32

does it bite?  Grin

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 06/01/14 at 18:19:13

Reminds me of this video-

Glad you are OK Shorty!!!!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #6 - 06/01/14 at 18:59:37

thanks for the vid Toes, I would have wet myself while riding the bike, almost did when the rattler slithered out  Shocked
I tried to persuade him to leave the vicinity of the s40 but he was acting like it was his now..
I actually spoke out loud: "don't move, I'll be back" .. returned with the 20ga loaded with birdshot (to not ventilate the barn)  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/02/14 at 07:59:00

When the subject is Rattlers, size Does matter,, only in a strange direction. As rattlers get older ( bigger) their venom gets somewhat diluted, dont axe me how,, Ive read about this stuff, somewhere,.The Venom of a baby is stronger, but at such a young age, only bare flesh or thin clothes are at risk, you get up in the 10 inch range, youve got a quick little monster with a load of deadly venom.,& anyone who says they cant get off the ground is wrong, I was toying with one about 14 inches long, he was traveling, so, not coiled, I had a friend take a rag to throw on it, just a distraction, IF it acted like it was aware of me coming up from behind. As I reached for its tail it was looking up at him, then, it somehow managed to launch itself & spin 180*,, it landed looking at me,, Id handled ( with sticks & loops) several, I wasnt , well,, I cant say I wasnt Afraid,, I was Jacked on adrenaline,,but I messed with them any time I saw them,, but I left that one alone, we had shovels, & I had a snake stick, I coulda done anything I wanted, but I figured if he was that cool, Id let him live.. been a lotta years,, I Think I let him live..

Note*

This wasnt in a barn, or within 50 miles of a city, so, letting a snake like that live posed no threat to anyone or anyones pets.. In town? That snake woulda died,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 06/02/14 at 15:43:24

My understanding is that adult rattlers strike and the real young ones hold on as long as they can.  I know someone who got bit years ago.  The doctor said it was more of a glancing blow, but they had a jet black and blue bruise for more than 4 months.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #9 - 06/03/14 at 05:30:07

I wouldn't get close enough for him to get me, but the stupid dog would have surely been bit if he wasn't in the house.. Usually the dog follows me around (too much) Grin

my kids will be here in 10 days, they are like the dog and sure to be bit so, all rattlers will take birdshot if near the house

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/03/14 at 06:10:07

And rattlers are clumsy.. they shoot the venom early or late sometimes,,
gettin BIT doesnt mean injected, not every time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 06/03/14 at 16:51:54

Found a couple of rattlers last year before we left Nevada for a few months. Was going through some stuff I had stacked outside.

A couple minutes later they were beheaded with a shovel, then skinned and cleaned. Was a nice little snack before bedtime.

Can hardly wait to get back there in a few days.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #12 - 06/05/14 at 06:37:54

I need more cc's between my legs  Grin

IP Logged