Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Send Topic Print
Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version (Read 1724 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version
Reply #135 - 04/14/14 at 09:59:40

Cinnamon keeps getting improved and that is good.   Last go round it wasn't as mature or finely finished as Mate, but that might not be the case any more (3 years is a long time after all).

Cinnamon is the home grown desktop the Mint people did starting from a Gnome 3 basis (and throwing away a lot of the Gnome 3 interface in doing so).

Believe it or not, Ubuntu is actually backing off on the Unity thing and is accepting a Gnome variant back into the Ubuntu family.   The fact they have been behind Mint in popularity for the last 4 years and have dropped in user popularity numbers tremendously might also have something to do with it.    Even the Ubuntu faithful have been losing faith and leaving ....

Plus, using the Windows interface mixed with OSx as a "follow me boys" pattern sorta has become passe right now anyway .....

Wink

Ubuntu Xfce is the most popular real Ubuntu variant behind Unity, mainly since Ubuntu Xfce is unchanged and uninterrupted in its progress since like year 2001.

Lots of people like the simple clean interface and the fine polish that the Xfce distro has gotten over those uninterrupted years of tuning.

But, here on the list our goal is the easiest Ubuntu variant to jump off to from XP.   So far most pundits agree this is Mint Mate.   So a'Mating we will go.

Still, after you have been on Mate for a while and have gotten your Linux legs about you, you will likely go try other distros and may well find something you like better.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #136 - 04/15/14 at 00:37:23

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/14/14 at 02:51:15:
It will fit in 17.9.   Once you defrag completely and compact the drive you will have a lot more free space.   Remember to do this in windows before you do the install disk or it will take forever to install.

I defraged last week, while we were all dicussing the procedure, that was one of the few things I already knew how to do
had 19 gigs left, untill I installed avast, which seems to still be on my PC despite me deleting it Huh
I may defrag again though, right before install

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #137 - 04/15/14 at 03:30:34

Do a safe boot, then uninstall Avast, then manually go into your drive C: and delete the entire sub-directory it was in.

Avast is hard to get off because it hardens the installation against worm attacks.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #138 - 04/15/14 at 03:33:57

The 20 gigs was for your Mint and all the stuff you might put on it later on.  

Mint only requires 10 gigs for itself and the associated programs, the other 10 gig was for the stuff you pick up over the years.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #139 - 04/15/14 at 05:13:24

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/14/14 at 09:59:40:

Cinnamon keeps getting improved and that is good.   Last go round it wasn't as mature or finely finished as Mate, but that might not be the case any more (3 years is a long time after all).

Cinnamon is the home grown desktop the Mint people did starting from a Gnome 3 basis (and throwing away a lot of the Gnome 3 interface in doing so).

Believe it or not, Ubuntu is actually backing off on the Unity thing and is accepting a Gnome variant back into the Ubuntu family.   The fact they have been behind Mint in popularity for the last 4 years and have dropped in user popularity numbers tremendously might also have something to do with it.    Even the Ubuntu faithful have been losing faith and leaving ....

Plus, using the Windows interface mixed with OSx as a "follow me boys" pattern sorta has become passe right now anyway .....

Wink

Ubuntu Xfce is the most popular real Ubuntu variant behind Unity, mainly since Ubuntu Xfce is unchanged and uninterrupted in its progress since like year 2001.

Lots of people like the simple clean interface and the fine polish that the Xfce distro has gotten over those uninterrupted years of tuning.

But, here on the list our goal is the easiest Ubuntu variant to jump off to from XP.   So far most pundits agree this is Mint Mate.   So a'Mating we will go.

Still, after you have been on Mate for a while and have gotten your Linux legs about you, you will likely go try other distros and may well find something you like better.

OK, I have Mate on one of the other HDD on my main computer (I'm in that now).  I think I started booting into the Cinnamon HDD because I read somewhere, either here?  Or somewhere on the internet in the past couple of weeks that Cinnamon is better for high end current systems.  So I thought I would see what it had to offer.  But I'll stick with Mate for a while and get used to that, especially with the resource this thread has to offer.
Thanks again Oldfeller,
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #140 - 04/15/14 at 07:34:08

Being based on Gnome 3 (stripped & tweeked) Cinnamon uses a good bit more system resources than Mate does (which is Gnome 2, continued & upgraded).

For an older XP machine (Pentium class) Mate would be a better fit to your older hardware than Cinnamon.

So, in jumping off of XP into something that is safer to tool around the internet, Mate is the one everyone recommends.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #141 - 04/15/14 at 10:09:35

Still can't get a good "burn" of the .iso for 16, so I used 15 for the little laptop and can't get the old Compaq to load up 15 either.

Going to download one of the Puppy linuxes maybe.... first I have to go get me some regular recordable cd's, I have dvd+r and for some reason the old PC hates it, even though it has a dvd read/write player in it.

The joys of computers...LOL...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #142 - 04/15/14 at 11:59:22

Puppy isn't generally satisfactory to most folks as they use reduced softwares and they don't have a lot of the larger softwares pre-packaged in their repository.   Puppy is for 286-386 machines.

Puppy also requires a level of knowledge that most of us don't have -- you will have to hand-tune the config files, etc. with Puppy.

Try downloading and installing Peppermint (mint based) instead to get a light "known good installing" base package (using the Mint installer) then if you find you want more significant softwares they will have all of the normal Ubuntu/Mint packages in the repository that you can pull in later as you want them.  

Still runs off of a CD, is small and lite and can be expanded to be a full Mint.

Sounds like your optical drive could use a cleaning.  

You could have you some hardware issues if the same DVD installed OK on other machines.   Unless that laptop is an early 386/486 vintage you should have no issues loading the same DVD on it -- but remember there were 3 iterations of CD/DVD read write (+, - and +/-) back at the beginning.  

I can remember buying the wrong media type and getting all screwed up.       Huh

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #143 - 04/15/14 at 13:41:39

http://liliputing.com/2014/04/now-can-get-microsoft-office-70-per-year-7-per-...

Wooo Woooo

Windows is now issuing news bulletins about what they are planning to do in a post PC world.

They will perhaps not base their operating profits on making PC OS's primarily any more (mebbe because lately they suck at it?) but instead are going to sell Office 360 on a monthly subscription basis for $7-$10 a month.   Pay as you go, stop and start as you please.

You will be able to buy Office for a Mac, Office for I-Pad, Office for a PC, Office for a Chrome book, Office for an Android whatsit or Office for your Linux machine.   Microsoft doesn't care, they aren't going to be primarily in the OS business any more, certainly not in any restrictive fashion anyway.

Windows 9 might even be a free product, supported by the monthly fee you pay for Office 360.  

(or mebbe free because it has to be FOSS since it contains some FOSS code)

Cheesy

How's that for some new thinking from Microsoft?

Carry that thought out a little further, and pay $0 per month for Libre Office and you will have arrived completely.

« Last Edit: 04/15/14 at 16:45:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #144 - 04/15/14 at 17:35:35

http://liliputing.com/2014/04/lilbits-4-15-2014-intels-mobile-struggles.html

And yes, I yanked all earlier comments about Intel based on what they just released for their last quarterly returns for this year and for the full year just past.

Why?   Because I just can't believe it is really that bad.

I used to like and respect Intel, but now that can no longer be the case.

Bay Trail is the very best tablet chip Intel has come up with to date and it isn't very good for phone or light tablet uses,   10 million of them (and assorted cousins) have been produced on Intel processes and shipped just this last quarter to warehouses at a first quarter booked "cost to produce" of $928 million dollars, with a proposed revenue value of only $156 million dollars.  

That would be a loss of $77.20 per chip produced and warehoused IF you could indeed sell them for $15.60 a piece, but you cannot get $15.60 because the competitive priced (and more versatile) ARM product sells for around $5.00 each.   So Intel is going to have eat another $10.60 eventually to go with the $77.20 that they have already booked.

In 2013 Intel lost 3 billion dollars in 2013 just on the small amount of mobile tablet business they got last year.   They paid out all the profits from all of their other businesses and then some to accomplish this feat.   And this year they want to do ten times that much "at loss" business?     Why?   Just so you have an explainable loss and owe no taxes to Uncle Sam?

And Intel still has no phone chip yet at all.

Put your calculators up, do not do the math, do not calculate any loss per chip because there was also a hidden massive buy back of stock by Intel to support their public image that accounts for a goodly bit of that apparent gross loss differential.

Let it sit there,  quietly,  please.    The information is flawed somewhere.

I don't even want to know about the rest of it.   The reported buying back of supposedly 22 million shares of common stock to manipulate/support the public stock price, the vapor product names switching features and lithography sizes in and out, the large repeated product delays, the loss leader pricing in excess of any sanity or any of the rest of it.   Let Oz stay behind the curtain, he's too short, fat and ugly to look at.

Here are the simple facts going forward.

Intel faces real competition now in the tablet slot that they currently occupy from the production-wise much bigger, much larger sales, larger real dollar revenue making MediaTek and Allwinner (and the smaller Rockchip) who will make equivalent or better fully integrated multi-use tablet and/or phone ARM based chipsets selling them at a true profit at the same price point where Intel will be strongly loss-leadering their Bay Trail and Merrifield non-integrated tablet only products.  

Using Microsoft OS isn't any form of advantage here, all this dealing will be done as Android standard products or else as same-same MS OS products, with the OS playing field is fairly level at this point in time either way since both Android and MS OS is free at this point in time.

And Intel is apparently willing to paste stacked Andrew Jacksons (3-4 of them?) on top of each tablet chip they have made so far to do this, not just the 50 cent pieces as was earlier thought.

This can't be right .... nobody could do that and be allowed by their stockholders and their Board of Directors to keep their jobs.  

Not unless it was totally a "do or die" situation that makes it necessary.  

And it isn't do or die, IBM and Texas Instruments both made the correct decision not to go into that mobile chipset business space at such a terrible terrible price disadvantage.   Both survived just fine, and yes they both shrank accordingly but in a healthy understandable pattern.   Intel is shrinking too, but is still hemorrhaging blood money out the nose in a fountain spray just to be in this business at all.

Something in what is currently being reported just can't be right --- right?

It can't all just be ego, can it?     It all can't be tax manipulation either, right?  

Huh    Right?

======================

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20140414PD201.html

Intel must have a key to the Obama money printing facility, they have just dropped off a supposed $100,000,000 "technology help package" slush fund to "help" the smallest of the Chinese white box tablet makers to get them to use the Bay Trails that Intel will sell them at less than $5 each (less than Rockchip's best normal prices).

This is clearly dumping (selling products below cost in selected markets) and leaves Intel open to litigation from their other chip customers.

Also, the Chinese government won't sit by and watch Intel destroy part of their basic electronics industry for very long.

Prediction, after carefully waiting until the  "technology help package" slush money dries up, dumping charges by Chinese chip manufacturers causes China to stop allowing the shipping of disruptive Bay Trails into their country.   Without a customer, Intel stops producing and selling Bay Trails at a loss.  

Intel becomes a small legacy/hobbist chipset manufacturer like Texas Instruments and IBM.

« Last Edit: 04/16/14 at 07:27:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #145 - 04/15/14 at 20:57:38

Ok, so I have given up on the ol' Compaq Presario for the time being... I am going to clean the dvd drive up in side when I get time to take it apart.

I decided to open up the wife's old Dragon based computer and hook up a couple old Seagate 250's , one was her drive originally installed in the Dragon and one was my old drive from my gaming computer, both of them have XP loaded on them.

I am going to load up 64bit Linux cinnamon on a dual boot on her old drive and 64bit Linux cinnamon full install on my old drive (and hope it has drivers for my Linksys wireless card, if not I have a cable).

If I get into trouble I will just log onto her drive and find out which files to copy and put in mine to make it run (or at least find out which drivers I need to download from Linux).

Defragging the drives now and will install when it finishes.... more to come.... (oh...I left our world of warcraft games on them to test the video).

Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #146 - 04/15/14 at 21:30:48

Have you posted on the Mint or Ubuntu boards asking for Compaq Presario issues with the DVD drive?   Surely if it was a known issue someone could share the fix or work around with you?

Yup, it is a known problem ---

http://askubuntu.com/questions/221672/install-problems-on-a-compaq-presario-cq50

« Last Edit: 04/16/14 at 06:53:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #147 - 04/15/14 at 21:43:11

I'm thinking its the optical portion, like you mentioned before. It asked to retry several times during install of the 32 bit 16, was actually about 50% done before it crashed the last time.

Its no skin off my back if it doesn't work, its just experimental to me and I might be able to help someone who has one.

Smiley

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #148 - 04/16/14 at 00:37:11

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/15/14 at 03:30:34:
Do a safe boot, then uninstall Avast, then manually go into your drive C: and delete the entire sub-directory it was in.

Avast is hard to get off because it hardens the installation against worm attacks.

you once again overestimate my computer savvy
in other words
do what to who for how much?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #149 - 04/16/14 at 05:04:09

Art, if the words Safe Boot or Safe Mode carry no meaning for you, just ignore them.  They are just words.  

I'm not here to teach you Windows.

Eventually something will eat your XP machine and you may stick the Mint DVD disk you bought into the optical drive and boot it because you have no choice.

You will be surprised that it boots into a fully working Mint machine that does not install itself unless you tell it to, and that you can run as a fully operating system off the install DVD itself (abet slowly, since DVD drives are slow) complete with all the needed office softwares.  

You can try it out before you even install it.

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 04/16/14 at 06:41:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 22:30:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!