Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version (Read 1724 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version
03/26/14 at 06:06:16

Folks have been PMing me when we were going to start the ball rolling on the tutorials, etc.

Answer IS:   First we gots to have us a rolley ball to go roll with ....

Here is the release details for the Linux Mint Mate 17 as just put out by the distro folks.

Linux Mint 17 LTS will be named “Qiana” and should be available at the end of May 2014.

Qiana is pronounced kee-AHN-ah. It was the name of a fashion silk-like material, introduced in the 1970s and popular in the disco-era, when it was made into loud, shiny shirts with pointy collars.  The feminine name is of American origin, and its meaning is “silky”.

Mint folks start out with the full released version of Ubuntu, which lands late in April, then they rework it with all the Minty pieces so it works flawlessly well.    This takes time, especially if the Ubuntu has any remaining bugs in it.

(Mint LTS will NOT be released with a known bug in it).

This work isn't completely serial in time, the beta versions of both distros have been in the hands of the bug boys for over a month now so work is happening as we speak.   The fact they are taking the full month in the schedule indicates that they think it will be required to get the job done correctly.

So, we will begin when the main release is put into the mirrors sometimes in May.

======================

If you can't do these prep things using Windows, speak up now so we can help you get them out of the way before May rolls around.   ASK IF YOU GET STUCK ON A STEP -- not asking and staying stuck is the only crime here.  

======================

Good news, the installer has been improved and does all this for you now

http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/english_15.0.pdf

is a very good source for the entire installation enchalada, and now I don't have to go write one myself.

Yay !!!    Go Mint guys !!!

The installer now does not require any of the stuff you used to have to do in Windows so it got A LOT EASIER for people to do.   I will go up to the top of the thread and remove all the instruction stuff and replace it with this.

DO NOT GO ON TO THE NEXT STEP IF YOU HAVE NOT FULLY COMPETED A STEP.

List of Steps

1.    Learn how to defragment your hard drive.  http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/defrag.htm    Do the defragmentation to drive C:

2.    Learn how to turn off all the screensavers time-outs on your Windows machine.   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-xp/help/setup/set-up-screen-saver    You want the screen saver at OFF, or NONE or the very highest 99999 hour limit on all of its features.   Turn off your Screensaver time-outs.

3.   Learn how to turn off all the energy saver time-outs on your Windows machine.   http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_power_mgt_manual_act_winXP     You want the energy saver at OFF, or NONE or the very highest 99999 hour limit on all of its features.   Turn off your power management time-outs.

How to know you got it right --- your machine never shuts off now unless you turn it off yourself.   Verify this by leaving your machine on overnight.   It should be sitting there, unchanged, in the morning.   If not, you missed a setting.

4.    Download and install this Windows program.   http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/resizing-and-movi...   You will use it to shrink your main drive C: partition by 20 gigabytes.  

By this stage you should KNOW how much free space you have on drive C: and you should know if you have 20 gigs available or not.

YOU SHOULD TAKE SOME TIME TO GET USED TO THE LAYOUT OF THIS EASEUS PROGRAM AND YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TIME TO GET USED TO THE TUTORIALS THAT EASEUS PROVIDES.  http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/resizing-and-movi...

Your goal is to use EASEUS to see what your drive C: partition REALLY looks like and to shrink it (resize it) by 20 gigs, leaving 20 gigs as "unallocated space" in your system.

When you get to the shrink part itself, be aware it can take hours and hours sometimes to complete the shrink step.   You minimized this wait by defragging the drive, but it will still take some time.  

The program attempts to tell you it is working on it, all is well and to leave it alone -- but it is up to you to keep your fingers OFF the keyboard and OFF the mouse until the shrink job is done.

Getting ansy and fiddling with it or rebooting the machine because YOU THINK it is stuck is what actually kills most hard drives during partition type work -- so tell it to shrink the drive, see that it is working and GO TO BED.    Leave the machine totally alone for like 6 hours .....

Once you get your 20 gigs of unallocated space on your hard drive, you are done with the Windows portion of things and you can turn your screen saver and energy saver back on again.

How to know you got it right --- Systems Tools in XP shows that drive C: is 20 gigs smaller than it was before.

Next step is to download the Mint, and we have to wait until May for that.    During the Mint install Mint will find the 20 gigs of unallocated space and "suggest" it to you as where it can be put.

Good news, the installer has been improved and does all this for you now

« Last Edit: 03/30/14 at 15:08:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version
Reply #1 - 03/26/14 at 07:13:12

are we there yet?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/26/14 at 16:34:54

No, we are not there yet.  

Still getting the folks situated on the bus, getting ready to leave actually.

Are you coming on the trip with us, or are you just waving at at the group as we pull out of the bus station?

Roll Eyes

Really, I do understand the plight of the folks who don't know their computer much at all, have never worked on the internals nor have really done anything much other than just use it.

It's like working on the carb on your Savage for the first time, or adjusting the valves.    Some folks simply can't do that .....

I'm reminded of Bill, who used to go buy a new motorcycle whenever it got complicated (time to do maintenance on the valve adjustments, etc).  We got a lot of people who are like that about computers.

If you find yourself wishing for an inexpensive way to not have to do it at all, do a Serowbot and just run it until it dies.  Then go buy a Chromebox for $179 when that time finally comes.

Linux really isn't very hard, but for folks who have avoided XP's internals for 10 long years even "not very hard" is likely going to be a bridge too far for them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/26/14 at 19:15:06

I got several dinosaurs to play with... are we there yet?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 03/26/14 at 19:30:42

I booted up Mate 16 the other night.  Everything worked fine except I couldn't get my normal video resolution.  I usually run 1920x1080 with millions of colors.  It would only give me 13xx x 1024 and it looked like maybe 256 colors.  I can't deal with that. It gave me no option to change color depth.  I had several resolution settings but the 13xx x 1024 was the highest.  Built-in intel graphics so I know there's been plenty of work on the drivers.  Video playback was dropping frames and choppy/jerky.  Plays fine under Win on the same system.  

I didn't install...just ran off the live DVD.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 03/26/14 at 19:54:06

Did you go look for the specific graphics driver for the specific INTEL GMA on-board chipset that you have?    Which one is it?   An Intel GMA 4400?

There is a Linux open source "generic driver" for Intel, and there is a Intel driver for their own specific chipsets for Linux.   Guess which one loads when you are running off the DVD ....  and it looks like it auto-detected your monitor as super VGA but it might have gotten that idea off the general XP OS defaults, instead of your monitor's real capacity.

Generally speaking, the specific Linux driver put out by the chipset manufacturer does the very best job.    But you will need to find it, generally by asking the Mint folks in the right forum question area.

If you are running a higher than normal resolution specialty monitor that came with its own drivers (that were Plug 'N Play installed when you put the monitor on the CPU box) then look for the specialty drivers for that brand of monitor in Linux.   Once again, questions posted in the correct Mint forum area.

Don't be bummed if they tell you to go ask the Ubuntu people.
Remember Mint is re-skinned, tuned Ubuntu and some things really need the people that wrote the video section of that particular version to answer the questions about what to do to get where you want to go.

I got an odd situation using my new video card, when I go over to Steam and install a new game it recognizes the very highest level the new card can do -- which exceeds what my old crappy monitor can really do by a lot  --  go figure.   The monitor tries, and it does display, but just slow as shite.   So I turn the games down to super VGA (monitor natural pixel resolution & speed) and the game goes super fast and looks great.

Wink   (my great probably simply isn't as nice as your great that you are used to)

If gaming is what is driving your need for maximum graphics, understand that Steam boots their own proprietary Intel Graphics drivers when you start Steam up.  

That is one of the things that makes Steam on Linux such a winner, they finally got all the video guys to cooperate with them.   And some of those drivers are restricted specialty items, just for Steam.   This doesn't bother me, I get them when I need them (when the game starts).

Now if I just had a better monitor ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/27/14 at 12:27:45

Now, I know this doesn't help with Intel drivers, but when you go looking you keep hearing about people using Envy to load the custom video drivers.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/installing-proprietary-video-drivers-for-ubuntu/

Envy is a script written by a command line expert that goes and gets the most modern AMD/ATI and NVIDIA drivers and loads them on to your system.    Being Ubuntu, it works with Mint supposedly.    

Mint claims to already have loaded all the most modern drivers, but that is always a thing in motion, so your mileage may vary according to what is fresh and what is new and what is really already there.

======================

For Intel, try these.    They will likely get updated when the new 14.04 versions go out.    This tool is written and maintained by Intel themselves.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/how-to-use-intel-linux-graphics-drivers.html

Reading this you note some work arounds to get the tool to work correctly so you will probably need to wait until Intel upgrades their tool again to make it handle multiple versions of Ubuntu, or else come out with a tool specifically for Ubuntu LTS 14.04.

======================

Here is what is coming in LTS 14.04 --- looks  like your monitor will be covered by the natural Mint drivers now.

For instance, there’s now TRIM support for Intel and Samsung solid state disks which helps extend the useful life of those SSDs, improved support for NVIDIA Optimus graphics-switching technology, and updates to the Unity user interface, better support for high-resolution displays, and many other items of an up-to-date nature.

« Last Edit: 03/28/14 at 10:13:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #7 - 03/28/14 at 16:50:00

Using Mint 16 Mate Petra daily, took a few days to get the printer to work but all is well. Not too excited to go to 17 as I just got 16 fully functioning and I have a policy against trying to fix non-broken things Wink

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 03/28/14 at 19:43:55

Good policy.  Mint 16 will continue to work long after it is unsupported because the basic programming in it and the overall structure is soooo durn good in Linux.

Mint 16 is supported with updates & bug fixes until this upcoming July ......     Mint 16 is a 6 month interim version (or beta version if you prefer that terminology)

So me, I would wait until you find a reason to switch, then only go to the LTS versions.   And only upgrade to an LTS version.   5 years of stable support with Mint 17 is 10 times more support time than you are going to get with Mint 16.

(and now you know why I only go from one 5 year LTS to the next one -- having your stuff supported for only 6 months is plumb crazy to me)

Some distros are more honest and only call the LTS versions the "stable release versions" and they call the little stutter burps in between the bug fix or beta releases.   But Ubuntu and Mint aren't that blunt about it as they really do cover a lot of changes with those stutter burps.

Better Steam support and more monitor resolution increases and better video drivers for AMD/ATI are why I am going to update to Mint 17.

Then I may or may not update to the next LTS after 3 years or I may hang until 6 years is up (which is what I did this time, so yeah I have been running unsupported for a year now and didn't even really notice it for much).

Linux is so trouble free and stable compared to Windows you can get away with stuff like that.

====================

It's coming ..... you will need to use XP for something and you will boot into it and you will get all these URGENT notifications and crap about all your Anti-virus and Flash and Java and Adobe Reader and this and that that are all horribly out of date and needing to be updated RIGHT NOW.   Your browser will tell you it needs to be updated too, sometimes twice, three times in a row no less.

It will take you an hour to download and install all the RIGHT NOW crap and it will take 4 reboots and a defrag to get around to what you were intending to do.  

THEN you will finally realize that Linux really is better than Windows ever was and Windows is and always has been just plain bug ridden junk to deal with.  

And you PAID BIG BUCKS to Microsoft for this ongoing privilege, to do all this constant week in and week out work just to keep their stuff running sorta kinda right .....

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 04/02/14 at 06:27:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 03/28/14 at 20:24:52

Printers, HP printers are supported by and large, even the strange all in one thingies like I had bought for myself for $29 on close out 10 years ago.

VERY VERY MODERN printers are actually sometimes tougher than old ones, and the more you get away from the HP inkjets the tougher it gets as well.

HP has declared they will driver support all their printers for Linux going forward, and they did take a break a year ago and programmed up a printer driver EACH & ALL THEIR OLD HP PRINTERS.

As Linux becomes more and more popular, expect that all other printer makers will do the same thing, right their on their install disks no less.

« Last Edit: 03/29/14 at 09:33:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/29/14 at 13:18:38

At the flip of a coin I post this here instead of the humor thread...

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/still-on-windows-xp-heres-some-bad-advice-80911845...

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 03/29/14 at 14:26:44

At least that article writer showed that he had some knowledge behind his opinions.

Win 7 won't run all that well on early XP machines, only on the later generation machines (the ones right before Win 7 came out).

Linux will run fine on all the generations of XP machines.    If you dual boot, you get to keep your XP functionality for when you need it, but I wouldn't be going on line with an unsupported, unbugfixable XP machine when every psycho out there is saving up all his nasties planning on dropping all them land mines right into your path.

Before going out there in them on line minefields, put on "the last suit you will ever need" to quote 'ol Tommy Lee Jones.

It ain't a black suit like Tommy Lee's, it is a heavy duty red suit and it doesn't have anything at all to do with Santy Claus neither.    IT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED when something wormy green & warty wants to eat your face off while you are out there on the web.

"Geeks rule", sez Tony Stark.  "Microsoft just wants your money and they will kill your PC to get it".

To protect an XP class machine in the months to come, wear your real heavy duty Linux Malware Buster armor while you are out there zipping around on the web.    You may well step in it on occasion, and it may go bang and blow a big 'ol crater at your feet, but it can't hurt you because it simply can't REACH you.

Save what's left of your XP installation's life span for doing the things you can only do on XP.   Games (off-line preferably) and getting to all your old Word and Excel files, your picture albums, films, all the stuff that you would really really miss if it is gone etc. etc. etc.

Put some armor around your old PC, dual boot the suit.

PS, guess what happens next -- Vista dies, closely followed by Win 7.

This whole kill off the old stuff thing MS is doing isn't over yet by a long shot.

« Last Edit: 03/29/14 at 20:18:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 03/29/14 at 23:46:01

I barely know how to use XP
I scared

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 03/30/14 at 01:16:08

Art, you have an XP PC that you have had for multiple years.  

Believe it or not, most folks running an XP machine did so because there WASN"T anything else available at the time, 'cept a Mac and it cost too much to even be a consideration.    

They bought a powerful independent processor based computing machine with a lot of horsepower to do ---- practically nothing, really.

Most folks held down a PC and didn't do anything more than type occasionally on a word processor, fill in a spreadsheet or two and maybe play a game or two.   Going on line every day was most of the task load handed to a $2,000 PC to do.

So, look around now -- a $80 tablet can do all of that very easily except for the typing part.

A $179 chrome box can certainly do all of it, including the typing.

And so can your old hardware actually
because THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR ACTUAL HARDWARE A NEW OS WOULDN'T FIX VERY HANDILY.

Can you stick a DVD in the DVD drive and reboot your machine and make a dozen clicks with a mouse?

That will set you up a dual boot machine if the new installer on Mint is as good as they say it is.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 03/30/14 at 06:06:15

Oldfeller wrote:

Quote:
That will set you up a dual boot machine if the new installer on Mint is as good as they say it is.

It is. At least the one on the Mint Mate 16 DVD that I used is.

This will walk someone through the whole process:

http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/english_15.0.pdf

Quick question. When the April 8 day of doom rolls around can I just uninstall IE and Chrome from the XP side of my computer and be assured that it is then just a stand alone ? Seems so, but I'm not savvy enough to know if there is still a way for stuff to sneak in. It's still going to be connected to my cable modem and the wireless router that the other gadgets in the house use - Kindle, wife's laptop and and tablet (win 7 and Android) and the kids smartphones when they are over.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 13:10:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.