Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version (Read 1724 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version
Reply #90 - 04/06/14 at 23:33:26

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #91 - 04/06/14 at 23:36:31

Got chrome loaded on the little laptop, figure i should start here first... no spell check yet, but i'm working on it. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #92 - 04/06/14 at 23:48:19

Interesting discussion of rebooting after a phishing attack though of course most of it is over my head
I have 3 browsers on my PC currently: IE9, firefox, and chrome
chrome is the ONLY one of the three that will actualy work, due to whatever nasties are hiding in my system (having slipped totaly uncontested past security essentials)
I know for a fact there's a spambot, and I suspect there's worse, so I won't purchase anything at all via the net unless I can call the company and order it, unless I do so from work
my PC is slow, it's cranky, it locks up, it's a mess
this is one reason I'm so ready to be dome with MS, based on our discussion here
also during boot up (I think I mentioned this already) the message: system battery voltage low; press f1 to continue, or press any other key to got to somrthing, boot menu maybe
of course I'm ignorant of all this, but I suspect that may be a hardware issue.
As long as the unit keeps running though, I'm good

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #93 - 04/07/14 at 00:02:35

Yup, I used to get that on my old pc until I changed the onboard battery.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #94 - 04/07/14 at 00:14:00

I don't even know how to open the fool case  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 04/07/14 at 07:29:56

Art, you know it isn't that hard.   what kind of computer is it, make and model -- then ask the internet how to open the case.

Heck, ask the internet how to change the bios battery, somebody has posted a you tube video showing you how.

On the surface of the board there is a round watch battery, about the size of a 50 cent piece.  Trick is generally there is another one right under it, sometimes a total of three stacked up but the last one is somewhat tough to get out as it is recessed down in the plastic.

Note how they went in, write yourself a little sketch, then carry one to the store to make sure they give you the right stuff.

Pop them in, then expect the machine to want you to redo the bios choices when you boot the machine.

Might want to visit the bios and make some notes on each entry before taking out the batteries.

« Last Edit: 04/07/14 at 08:49:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #96 - 04/07/14 at 19:30:40

An example of why you might want some notes.

My system defaults to bitshift addressing for the hard drive.  The drive itself will handle that with no problem.  But, the drive was used in an older system and moved to this one. The older system only supported LBA.

If I change the battery or something blows setup, I have to change my hard drive from the default bitshift to LBA or I have a dead hard drive.  There can be some little gotchas like that in any system if it's been upgraded or had additional parts added in. If it's all stock, it's usually not a problem. Look at any interrupt assignments that have been set instead of left at auto. Verify hard drive settings. Verify built-in devices turned on or off.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #97 - 04/08/14 at 00:06:55

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/07/14 at 07:29:56:

Pop them in, then expect the machine to want you to redo the bios choices when you boot the machine.

Might want to visit the bios and make some notes on each entry before taking out the batteries.

greek

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #98 - 04/08/14 at 00:09:32

Steve H wrote on 04/07/14 at 19:30:40:
An example of why you might want some notes.

My system defaults to bitshift addressing for the hard drive.  The drive itself will handle that with no problem.  But, the drive was used in an older system and moved to this one. The older system only supported LBA.

If I change the battery or something blows setup, I have to change my hard drive from the default bitshift to LBA or I have a dead hard drive.  There can be some little gotchas like that in any system if it's been upgraded or had additional parts added in. If it's all stock, it's usually not a problem. Look at any interrupt assignments that have been set instead of left at auto. Verify hard drive settings. Verify built-in devices turned on or off.

mandarin chinese

I'm sure if I werent a coplete tyro I'd know what some of that means  Grin

my disc arived today, seriously just pop it in and it's automatic?
you said it'll ask some questions, will I have any idea wtf it's talking about?  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 04/08/14 at 05:06:12

Art,

This is a choice you will have to make.  

We all realize now that you know practically nothing about a computer beyond typing on the keyboard.

Honestly, during the installation you are going to read some simple choices and you, Art, will have no basis on which to understand which simple choice to make.   Indeed I doubt you will even understand what some of the questions really mean, the implications that they have for how the machine would operate.

Unless you were to print off the help instructions and actually carefully read them and attempt to understand them, all you would do trying to install that software by yourself is bumble through it and create a new situation that you don't understand (and since nobody else was there with you when you did it they won't be able to help you after the fact).

Do you have any relatives that live nearby that would have responsible older teenage children?   Or younger adults?   Young people have absorbed a great deal through osmosis and can do things very easily that older people find difficult about computer stuff.

(plus it gives us old folks somebody else to blame when it all screws up).

In short Art, get some help.  Get someone who knows something about computers to help you install that disk.   Doing it by yourself would just result in more computer pain and suffering.

=================

Art bought a wifi only Chromebook intending to hook it up to a Time Warner cable modem with a USB cable.

There is a language to computers, and a basic knowledge of how they work that most of us have picked up on in the last 20 years.

Art hasn't.   His installation skill level puts him at the same level as my mother in law, who won't touch her machine for "fear of messing it up again".  I think my mother in law could maybe deal with using a chromebook, but she certainly couldn't set one up.  Grandma will use her ROKU, but she can't add a channel to it.

Art, I am afraid, needs to seek some assistance at this time.

« Last Edit: 04/08/14 at 07:31:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #100 - 04/08/14 at 11:13:38

to be accurate, the chromebook is NOT wifi only, it CAN be run via ethernet, it only requires wifi for SETUP, and this fact is not given in the ad nor anywhere on the box you buy it in, lets not make me dumber than I am, eh, that's dumb enough as it is
so as I understand it basicaly I have now wasted my money buying Linnux unless I have someone else install it
great
maybe I just need a new (refurbed)  desktop with 7

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #101 - 04/08/14 at 13:18:12

No, you can try it.   Items involving passwords, keep them short.  And on the screen that offers you the chance to use automatic log in make sure you click that button.

Main thing is to go slow, read everything.  IF you don't understand, ask the question.

I think you think you know enough, problem is that if you are making any assumptions about anything, well we know what ASSuME does to us, right?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #102 - 04/08/14 at 19:13:28

yes we do, and I dont really think I knoiw enough, but I also often second guess myself and think I'm less able than I am
I am rereading user guide trying to make sense of it

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #103 - 04/08/14 at 19:34:21

HEHEH.....start a new post...computer problem or some such... take pic's of your puter all sides... we could tell you how to crack the nut... and maybe help find your battery.

Also..if you keep having the bios error (low battery) and setting it to "default" to get it to boot, it means you shouldn't have much of a problem replacing your battery as you will have to reset it to default after the change.

Or do you have to do that? or is the error just letting you know the system battery is low?

Or find your model and look it up on a youtube video

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #104 - 04/08/14 at 19:34:49

These are the points that make me a little skittery.  

You say your BIOS battery (CMOS battery) is signaling for replacement -- if it goes dead so does your PC (no matter what OS you are running).   You say you can't get into the CMOS BIOS to read what's currently selected now (draw yourself a little map with all the blanks filled in so you can put it back the way it is now after you change out the battery).

Next, your Windows XP is already worm bait (by your own reporting).  This means you don't have much life left in your XP installation since you won't be able to reload anything that wasn't shipped on your hidden recovery drive D: and that will be very very out of date stuff -- MS won't be updating you any more through all that chain of 30+ some odd updates to get you back up to full XP steam again.

I really do think you might profit from a computer savvy relative or friend coming over to sit with you while you do the CMOS battery change and load up the Linux disk and go through the Mint Install procedure.   Even a little computer knowledge (enough to handle the battery swap) would go a long way.

Your odds go way way up by having a little semi-skilled help.

New thought -- if the person would look on your motherboard a lot of them had a set of 3 clearly labeled pins that allowed you to just plug in a large  CMOS booster battery pack (the old flat batteries stayed in place the whole time).   I don't know if your motherboard has this or not, but I took advantage of it whenever I could as it made CMOS battery replacement a breeze.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:03:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.