Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately? (Read 2454 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" late
Reply #120 - 08/03/12 at 18:00:14

Did we ever agree about the 20w50 stuff being too thick to recommend?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #121 - 08/03/12 at 19:09:18

That's where I would have an "Approved" and a "Recommended" list. Oils which meet the JASO MA and the ZDDP requirements would be "Approved" even if they are more expensive, harder to locate, or of SAE grades like 20W-50. They would be "Recommended" if they are also of SAE grades no heavier than xxW-40, and meet the price and availability criteria. The "Recommended" list would thus be a subset of the "Approved" list. That way oils such as Amsoil, Klotz, or others (given that they can be verified to meet the requirements of the Savage engine) could "Approved" even if not on the "Recommended" list. In this way those who feel compelled to spend more money or run heavier oils can be reasonably assured their engines will survive, even if their wallets take a ding.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #122 - 08/03/12 at 19:47:56

Charon wrote on 08/03/12 at 19:09:18:
That's where I would have an "Approved" and a "Recommended" list. Oils which meet the JASO MA and the ZDDP requirements would be "Approved" even if they are more expensive, harder to locate, or of SAE grades like 20W-50. They would be "Recommended" if they are also of SAE grades no heavier than xxW-40, and meet the price and availability criteria. The "Recommended" list would thus be a subset of the "Approved" list. That way oils such as Amsoil, Klotz, or others (given that they can be verified to meet the requirements of the Savage engine) could "Approved" even if not on the "Recommended" list. In this way those who feel compelled to spend more money or run heavier oils can be reasonably assured their engines will survive, even if their wallets take a ding.

I agree with this.

The only reason I'm not running Amsoil is because the Rotella T6 is cheaper.  My local ind cycle shop the Amsoil MC line of oils in stock so it's easy for me to get and less then the $12 per quart but when T6 is half the cost it's hard to pass that up.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anybody noticed the upsurge in
Reply #123 - 08/03/12 at 20:50:42

What you would then have is "all the bike oils in the world" kicking around confusing the new persons again, including all that funny colored mail in stuff.   The new person wants to go buy some oil locally today that they know will work for them.   Which oil can I buy locally today ....

So you can see I was looking to shrink and focus the Recommended list, not expand it endlessly.    Someone had mentioned not listing the 50 weights as they make extra degrees of temp rise out of some of the available hp.

20W50 is listed on the Suzuki owners manual, just with some temperature band requirements.   So let it stay as it IS readily available if somebody wants to use it.   Wally's cost is good at $10 so it hits inside the price range too.  

Me, I personally think Mobil 1 V Twin 20W50 is too thick for most parts of the country as it is a full synthetic and is NOT going to thin out any when it hits running temperatures.  

But it is in the manual ....

============

Let's keep it the way it is, if it is a weight inside the range of 10w40 to 20W50 and you can commonly find it at wally and the auto stores and it meets the JASO and 1200 PPM ZDDP and relatively broad $$ cost requirements let's throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #124 - 08/03/12 at 22:36:44

I used to run Lucas 20W-50 MCCAIN oil before I switched to Rotella T-6. Not bad stuff and in these insane hot Oklahoma summer's certainly not misplaced. But in winter I changed to 10W-40, because when it got down to below freezing you could tell by cranking it in the morning that the stuff got thick.
But now with T-6, I am a happy camper all year 'round. I would like to know how much ZDDP that Lucas oil had in it.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #125 - 08/04/12 at 05:49:39

Boule’tard wrote on 08/03/12 at 15:06:28:
I've used that mobil1 v-twin stuff, it is JASO rated but may be too expensive to make the "recommended" cut.

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/oils/mobil_1_v-twin_20w-50.aspx

Pretty much like Amsoil in that I like it, but probably won't buy more of it unless I can pick up someone's stash for cheap.

Boule'tard, I followed the link you provided for the Mobil1 V-Twin motorcycle oil as I too use mobil1. I did however find a discrepancy in there data. On the page your link provides it states "Meets JASO MA" in the features & benefits. But, if you look at the chart on the Product Data Sheet:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil1_Motorcycle_Oils....

Only the racing oil meets JASO MA.  Hmmmm, is this just a mistake on Mobil's part? Don't know but I would be more inclined to believe the data on the Product Data Sheet because the JASO MA is missing on two different parts of the chart for the V-Twin oil. Looks like only the racing oil meets JASO MA. Feedback??  Huh

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #126 - 08/04/12 at 07:15:00

( Did anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately) No I haven't I use Klotz oil. Cool

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #127 - 08/04/12 at 07:17:14

87 savage wrote on 08/04/12 at 05:49:39:
Only the racing oil meets JASO MA.  Hmmmm, is this just a mistake on Mobil's part? Don't know but I would be more inclined to believe the data on the Product Data Sheet because the JASO MA is missing on two different parts of the chart for the V-Twin oil. Looks like only the racing oil meets JASO MA. Feedback??  Huh

Hmm that is odd.  I bet it was not JASO rated when they made the chart, then they changed the formula.  Maybe there was another version that did not consider the wet clutch.  Their race 4T oil is probably a better choice since it does not have that ambiguity, and is a 10W40.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #128 - 08/04/12 at 08:20:44

My issues with Mobil 1 is that we put it on the list as approved in August 2012 and by the time the newbies read it and go hunting for it a year or two from now -- it is changed (re-spec'ed) or gone or replaced with Mobil 1 xxxxx.

But, it meets specs and is available at wally and the others, so it stuck to the wall for now.

Just type the oil name and weight in and put walmart after it -- this search gives you the Wally page that tells you specs and price and availability.   Currently both oils show JASO MA on Wally's infopages.

So far the Recommended list stands at:

(pricing comes from Walmart)

Dino        -- Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40                $12.99 a gallon  
                                                                                         ($3.25 a quart)

Synthetic -- Rotella T-6 5W40                              $21.99 a gallon
                                                                            ($5.50 a quart)

Synthetic -- Mobil 1 Motorcycle Racing 4T 10W-40            $ 9.97 a quart
Synthetic -- Mobil 1 Motorcycle V-Twin 20W-50                   $ 9.97 a quart

« Last Edit: 08/04/12 at 11:03:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #129 - 08/04/12 at 08:33:45

Mobil 20W50 was designed to be run in late model dry sump Harley engines.  I talked for an hour with their rep when we added it to the shop stocks. At the time I was riding a wet clutch liquid cooled v-twin (Kawasaki VN800A). Their own rep said don't sell it to guys with wet sump bikes. It was strictly for DRY sump bikes, read OLD Brit bikes, OLD CB750s and Harleys.

I ran Castrol GTX 20W50 when I lived on the Gulf Coast. Per a factory mechanic's recommendation. Also ran it in TN. Had zero issues running it, but, that was in 98-01, the formula has changed since then.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #130 - 08/04/12 at 08:43:31

OK, bike trip is required to go to Walmart to look at the Mobil 1 bottles with the Mark 1 ocular devices, lens augmented.   I also question availability in all Walmarts, so this is a backcheck for that.

I find it amusing that even Wally recognises Rotella as motorcycle oil now-a-days, but Bill doesn't.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=motorcycle+oil&ic=16_...

For a big double hoot plus, read the 7 comments on Rotella T-6 on the Walmart page --- do you think bikers have discovered the stuff or what?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #131 - 08/04/12 at 09:08:35

Controversy continues on Mobil 1 V-twin 20W50 --- the Bobistheoilguys keep seeing moly in the VOAs that they have been doing while waiting for the promised change to zero energy star additives from Mobil to actually take place (Mobil has put JASO MA on the bottle, btw, but still have some moly in the actual mix).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1544495

I vote we don't list it as recommended because the weight is too high for our bike year round and it still has moly in it.  Mobil 1 is notorious on Bob's for lying to their customer base (or not being forthcoming when they change things if you prefer the milder wording).  

Part of this issue is Mobil 1 products are bottled at multiple plants, which keep altering formulations slightly based on component costs and availability (and I suspect on getting individual lots to pass internal testing).

Hey Joe, V-twin lot 23346 isn't quite passing the drag brake test, viscosity is high end so that isn't it -- toss 80 ppm of moly in it and let it mix all night, then retest it in the morning.

And WD is totally right, the original Mobil 1 V twin Harley oil had all sorts of energy star stuff in it.

No wonder I got the idea in my head that 20w50 oils were tied to clutch failures, no doubt it was.   I know quite a few were using it as it was the hot new synthetic oil for a year or three there ....

And, do you think Mobil 1 ever TOLD anybody about this little boo-boo of theirs or paid for any of the bike repairs that were due to their little boo boo?

No-ne-new-nu .....  nope

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #132 - 08/04/12 at 09:19:07

So far the Recommended list stands at:

(pricing comes from Walmart)

Dino        -- Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40                $12.99 a gallon  
                                                                                         ($3.25 a quart)

Synthetic -- Rotella T-6 5W40                              $21.99 a gallon
                                                                            ($5.50 a quart)

Synthetic -- Mobil 1 Motorcycle Racing 4T 10W-40            $ 9.97 a quart
Synthetic -- Mobil 1 Motorcycle V-Twin 20W-50                   $ 9.97 a quart
struck for moly still in the mix on latest VOAs -- see Bobistheoilguy VOAs

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #133 - 08/04/12 at 12:40:47

For the sake of the list, I nominate........ drum role please  Cheesy .....................

Valvoline 4 Stroke 10W-40, and 20W-50 Motorcycle oils

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_motorcycle.pdf

20W-50: $4 bucks a quart by the case at Wally world.

10W-40: $8 bucks a quart by the case at Wally world.

As well as :

VALVOLINE 10W-40, and 20W-50 4-STROKE SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE OIL

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_synthetic.pdf

10W-40: $8.50 bucks a quart at Wally world.

20W-50: $6 bucks a quart by the case at Wally world.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #134 - 08/04/12 at 17:50:04

87 savage wrote on 08/04/12 at 12:40:47:
For the sake of the list, I nominate........ drum role please  Cheesy .....................

Valvoline 4 Stroke 10W-40, and 20W-50 Motorcycle oils

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_motorcycle.pdf

20W-50: $4 bucks a quart by the case at Wally world.

10W-40: $8 bucks a quart by the case at Wally world.

As well as :

VALVOLINE 10W-40, and 20W-50 4-STROKE SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE OIL

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_synthetic.pdf

10W-40: $8.50 bucks a quart at Wally world.

20W-50: $6 bucks a quart by the case at Wally world.

===============

First, they fail the "available to buy locally today" rule because you have to ORDER them by the case on line and then wait for them to show up at your local Wally.   These are not stocked items.

Second, they only claim to have the SL car level of ZDDP in them, that is 1,100 ppm of ZDDP.   This doesn't meet our 1,200 ppm limit, and the Valvoline products apparently can deliver much less.  According to the most current BITOG VOA's  Valvoline is perhaps subbing in some sort of car based calcium wear package instead of the ZDDP.

(note:  Valvoline results are very sparse and have multi-year gaps in the data flow, so let's watch all our assumptions a bit accordingly -- this applies to me too)

In short, the original Valvoline motorcycle products seem to have been their old SL formulations of car oil that were submitted and did pass the JASO clutch slippage test.  

And now days the data says they are shipping out their SM or SN car grade product level with reduced ZDDP .... and perhaps subbing in some sort of car based calcium wear package instead.

This does not make it optimal for the Savage engine, and the most recent VOA's say the Valvoline's reality falls short of our SuzukiSavage.com 1,200 ppm ZDDP standard -- and that was if it they had it in stock and you didn't have to order it by the case on line .....

Do any of the local auto parts stores stock this stuff?

Up to you to find it in stock at a parts store and then get some CURRENT VOA data that shows it even gets up to 1,100 ppm of ZDDP which is all it claims to ever have had in it .....

not listed

« Last Edit: 08/04/12 at 19:42:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 16:00:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody noticed the upsurge in "tickings" lately?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.