Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
"Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War (Read 2194 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: "Mileage/Cost per mile" Tire War
Reply #45 - 07/23/12 at 18:51:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/23/12 at 18:31:35:
Verslagen, you want to play now that we all know the ugly secret behind the emperor's new tire?    

It costs TWICE to THREE TIMES as much as other bike tires ..... ouch !!

he's probably not going to tell...  but my guess is he got more then a hummer with that.    Shocked  and is just covering up the cost.

What would 2 skin flints be playing anyway?

BTW, I broke my piggy bank and bought some aromatic nitrogen gas to replace that old worn out air in my tires.  Now I'm getting 5% better gas mileage.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 07/23/12 at 20:55:11

I think I understand why the boys are grumbling at me about having to report the mounting & balancing charges -- they paid more to have their tire mounted than I paid for mine in total (even with tax, tube, mod hardware and all the rest added in with it).

I haven't paid full ticket for a bike tire in sooooo long I had no idea that stealerships were getting some major car type repair dollars for putting a tire under your fender for you.    Some of these numbers are flat crazy.

Maybe I should amortize my tire irons (bought in 1972 for $5.99 for a 3 part set) and toss in another few quarters to help them feel better.

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #47 - 07/23/12 at 21:20:50

Can't find the ticket atm, but I only got charged $80 total for mounting both tires and doing the front brakes on my Savage.  I thought that was rather cheap TBH.  That price also included the price of the front brake pads.

I also ended up getting a free new rear tube because the tube burst when they were setting the bead on the rear tire. They said since they checked the tube and it looked good before they went to mount it all it was their fault so they supplied the new tube free.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 07/23/12 at 22:28:43

LOOK AT THAT, the cost per thousandth of tread depth is very similar between the bike tires.   Within a nickel of variation so far .....

I think the Metzler rubber is a good bit more durable though.   That's why we need miles and miles and tons of miles to tell the whole story.

Verslagen, get yerself off that fence and go ahead and ring in --- you make tons of miles every year.   Ring your Metzler in as "new" and state the current tread height with your digital caliper as the spreadsheet doesn't care that it isn't really brand spanky new.   The yearly comparisons will be just fine calculation-wise.

Screenshot-Low_Cost_Mileage_Contest_xls_-_OpenOffice_org_Calc_001.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #49 - 07/23/12 at 23:08:06

about .150 nearest the center at 54540
installed February 2012
5 months, approximately 5000 miles.

WWW   IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #50 - 07/24/12 at 05:10:53

I'm sure I could have shopped around for a better price on installation, but I figured

1. The local Suzuki stealership would do a fine job
and
2.  They matched the online tire price with no shipping

So I figured why kill myself to save a couple more sheckels.  Wink

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 07/24/12 at 06:54:45

Put a couple Shinko's on it, forget about it...

OF    Do you have a rear Shinko?    We have been waiting for one .....

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #52 - 07/24/12 at 07:17:01

Carl needs to MEASURE his tread depth on his new
Metzler

Verslagen needs to tell us what his tire really cost (shipped, installed & everything)

Right now the spreadsheet contains Carl's cost and Verlagen's 5 month old mileage (the math is customized to allow the 5 month period Verslagen reported in) and the advertised Metzler 8mm tread depth.   The result of this collage of bullshit semi-data is very very approximate only, but it indicates a Metzler mebbe might just not be all it is cracked up to be by Metzler.  

=============

Hey, some real depth and dollar figures from the two participants might be a sorta nice thing about now, don't cha kinda mebbe think?

Wink

By simple math, Veslagen has worn almost half his tire tread depth away in 5,000 miles.   Thus his earlier comment, "In a couple of years I'll be able to tell you the real total mileage".   It won't take 2 years at his current rate of tread consumption.  This too indicates a Metzler might not be all it is cracked up to be cost/mileage wise.

We have very mixed data coming in on the Metzlers, we have old members claiming 18,000 miles with tread remaining and we have more recent tires generating much lower numbers.    

It is a puzzlement that the owner's wrist style and his road temperatures undoubtedly plays a part in.

Now, to deal with the spreadsheet being so durn small, right click on it and "Save image as" to your desktop, then open it and expand it as necessary with your own favorite tools.

« Last Edit: 07/24/12 at 11:39:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Screenshot-Low_Cost_Mileage_Contest_xls_-_OpenOffice_org_Calc_002.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 07/24/12 at 11:51:47

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/24/12 at 07:17:01:
 Verslagen needs to tell us what his tire really cost (shipped, installed & everything)[/highlight]

Right now the spreadsheet contains Carl's cost and Verlagen's 5 month old mileage (the math is customized to allow the 5 month period Verslagen reported in) and the advertised Metzler 8mm tread depth.  

shipping... FREE!!!
installation... FREE!!!
tube... FREE!!! (none)
ball park $140

In 130/90-16 there are 2 kinds, high speed V rated or H rated, I took the V rated, may have been 8mm tread depth, they didn't say when I ordered.

OF   We really need for Carl to measure his tread depth so we will know what they really are depthwise.

Screenshot-Low_Cost_Mileage_Contest_xls_-_OpenOffice_org_Calc_003.jpeg
WWW   IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 07/24/12 at 12:53:54

Retread wrote on 07/24/12 at 06:54:45:
 Put a couple Shinko's on it, forget about it...

OF    Do you have a rear Shinko?    We have been waiting for one .....

Tour master 230's  or 777's

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #55 - 07/24/12 at 16:57:31

You didn't ask, but here it is anyway.
Miles 18,500  replaced both tires w/ Metzler
40,000 replaced rear
52,600 replaced front
58,500 replaced rear
78,505 replaced rear (caught 2 screws)  replaced w/ Perelli   Screwed tire still has a bit of tread on it.  Mounted on my spare rim.
79,534 pulled Perelli and went back to Metzler
83,000 replaced front

How much did I pay for the tires?  Just look it up somewhere, use what ever price works for you.
How much did I pay for the labor?  Assume I did it all myself w/ my bare hands..  

Oh.. and please track your Dark Side tire.  I'm sure it will be more cost effective than any M/C tire.  Still think you ought to charge yourself for labor, pain and suffering, mental anguish, etc!!  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 07/24/12 at 19:11:13

Miles 18,500  replaced both tires w/ Metzler
40,000 replaced rear    21,500 on first metz rear
52,600 replaced front
58,500 replaced rear    18,500 on second metz rear
78,505 replaced rear (caught 2 screws)  replaced w/ Perelli   Screwed tire still has a bit of tread on it.  Mounted on my spare rim.
79,534 pulled Perelli and went back to Metzler
83,000 replaced front  

I'd say you got very very good mileage out of the first two Metzler rears you put on your bike.   The third tire that got screwed still had 20,005 miles on it.    Metzler ME 880 15"  tires cost ~$164.95 best price currently with zero shipping cost from Amazon.com.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000GV7CZ4/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=...

I'll punch in your 21,500 mile tire at those costs and we will see what sort of cost per mile numbers you generate.

===================

I did all that "paying for darksider development" last time, so when the 1 1/2" scar on my left wrist began to fade all past debts were considered paid and past tense.

But you notice I durn sure  figured out a way to lower the bead seating air pressures from over 90psi to below 60psi, now didn't you?

===================

When is a Metzler not a Metzler?

Answer, when it is one of those OTHER Metzler tires .....  
(and there is a shite pot full of them too)

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/en_US/browser/attachments/pdf/2011_METZELER_DE...

Metzler Marathon ME 880 has two sizes that will fit on our bike ....

They have several different silica compounds (depending on what you are going to do with it)

You need to be very specific, you want the MAXIMUM TOURING MILEAGE tire and the H compound.

.... and I don't think the high mileage good one is the "V" for very high speed compound either, she's evaporating on you like my Dunlop did.

Verslagen didn't get what he mebbe thought he was getting.

Same thing might happen to you.

Wink

Dealership stock and "closeout prices" likely apply to WHAT THEY HAVE LEFT OVER after they sold all the good high mileage tires.

« Last Edit: 07/25/12 at 06:39:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #57 - 07/24/12 at 22:33:02

Youzguyz, here you go.    Your H compound beat Verslagen's V compound on cost per mile and I beat you 2x on cost per thousandth of tread height with my Nexen.    

It still remains to be seen if the Nexen rubber compound itself can generate a lower cost per mile with that 2x cost per thousandth of tread height advantage but still, congratulations, you now represent the bike tire to beat at this stage of the game at 0.8 cents a mile.

Screenshot-Low_Cost_Mileage_Contest_xls_-_OpenOffice_org_Calc_004.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #58 - 07/24/12 at 22:47:47

price update $123

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 07/24/12 at 22:59:50

OK, its punched.  

Your 130/80-16 tire doesn't even apply to a Savage anyway -- we use the fatter heavier (more costly) 140/80-15 or 140/90-15 and we will be careful to always use the H compound since you were kind enough to show us that the V compound sucks rocks for long tread life compared to the H compound.

You BEAT Youzguyz by a whopping 13 cents on cost per thousandth, but your V compound sucks so badly for durability compared to his H compound you gave it all up in poor wear/durability.

Grin

« Last Edit: 07/25/12 at 06:41:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 02:14:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!