Is it worth it? (Read 198 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Is it worth it?
07/28/13 at 15:46:12

Was turned onto a local station (here on the island) where they have an ethanol free product at one pump. He said it made a BIG difference in his Harley....it's 420 a gallon, bout a buck more than the corn. I just tanked up, but I haven't ran far enuff to be sure I'm burning the real juice yet.... anybody have any input into this fuel in our bikes, pro or con?
On a different note, I have about 300 miles on my Rottella dino, I am pretty sure my bike is quieter, like it coats the metal better, and it seems to run cooler if the "after ticking" (when you shut the bike off) is any indicator. It shifts fine and sure with absolutely no clutch slip.  I give this oil a BIG thumbs up!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Is it worth it?
Reply #1 - 07/28/13 at 15:52:46

Yes, real fuel is worth it. Only a few cents higher where I live, worth every penny in bikes, small engines, my Ranger, the C10, the C60 bucket truck and the old John Deere 1020UL gas burner.

My 98 Ranger with over 208K miles on it gets 21-23 mpg on blended gas, well over 30 on straight gas. I got close to 160 miles out of a 5 gallon can.

My Savage on blended fuel, pre-apehangers, got in the high 50s, on straight gas it got in the mid 70s miles per gallon. With the apehangers, 36 mpg on blended, 42 on straight gas.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 07/28/13 at 16:34:18

I have tried to measure the difference between E-10 and "pure gas." I have been unable to measure a difference. If anyone wants to play with the numbers, click on my signature. I have marked the fuel "E-10" when I have been sure it is indeed E-10. When the pump is marked something like "May contain up to 10% ethanol" I leave the tag line blank. If the Notes say I fuelled pretty much anywhere in Nebraska, and the tag line is blank, it is "pure gas." Bear in mind that the tag is for the present fuel-up. The next fuel-up will show the results with E-10 or "pure gas." Also bear in mind that a tank with one fuel type will be a blend of the last fuel-up and the present one. Lotsa luck trying to find a statistically meaningful difference.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/28/13 at 16:34:37

I've read that in smaller engines it can make a big difference in the longevity of the engine with fewer problems, but first hand I can't say either way.   Undecided

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 07/28/13 at 17:01:30

Since ethanol is 75% less energy than pure gas and there is only 10% added the most you would see drop in mpg would maybe be 3%.

And you will vary 3%  with difference in temps and more or less stops and slow downs due to traffic.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #5 - 07/28/13 at 22:19:43

Here's a good read:  http://zfacts.com/p/436.html

Basically, gallon for gallon ethanol has 2/3 the amount of energy as pure gasoline.  Also, ethanol holds up to 22% of it's weight in water.  Between the energy reduction and the potential added water, you can see your fuel efficiency drop an easy couple of MPG.

If I had pure dino juice around here, I'd buy it every chance I got.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 07/29/13 at 11:33:50

I use to hunt down "pure' gas.. but not anymore. Yes the bike runs better with it, but the really big difference is just CLEAN fresh gas. The local station near me, got sold and re-opened. Officials made them drain the tanks... man fresh gas don't stink like crap dirty old watered down gas. Plus I got burned on a  "pure" gas station when they sold me a tank of something bad.

Sooner or later this station will be like all the others. Then I suspect I will look for "busy" gas station where the tanks are turning over their contents more quickly... as long as its not a Walmart.

Other odd ball thing... ethanol is not always cheap... If I were willing to drive about 20 miles one way I could get pure gas and pay the same or LESS than blended stuff.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/29/13 at 12:08:30

Then GO,, fill up & Haul some home...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 07/29/13 at 15:43:24

I guess we're lucky around here.  About half of the stations have pure gas.  Not hard to find at all. It does seem to run better with it and doesn't seem to run quite as hot either. Although I really haven't checked the mileage, it does seeem to go farther on pure dino juice.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
chiguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago area
Reply #9 - 07/29/13 at 16:28:30

Quote:
I have tried to measure the difference between E-10 and "pure gas." I have been unable to measure a difference. If anyone wants to play with the numbers, click on my signature. I have marked the fuel "E-10" when I have been sure it is indeed E-10. When the pump is marked something like "May contain up to 10% ethanol" I leave the tag line blank. If the Notes say I fuelled pretty much anywhere in Nebraska, and the tag line is blank, it is "pure gas." Bear in mind that the tag is for the present fuel-up. The next fuel-up will show the results with E-10 or "pure gas." Also bear in mind that a tank with one fuel type will be a blend of the last fuel-up and the present one. Lotsa luck trying to find a statistically meaningful difference.

In the same marketing region, I would expect that both gasoline labelled as E-10 or "may contain up to 10% ethanol" are likely to contain ethanol.  So that might be why you don't see a difference.  The tax credit for ethanol (among other legislative reasons, Google "renewable fuel standard") provide a good incentive generally to put ethanol into the final fuel.  There has been much talk of late of increasing ethanol in gasoline to 15%, despite data that shows damage to some cars and small engines at the higher levels.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 07/29/13 at 16:29:59

Ok....the skinny of my burn. I can say without a doubt my bike runs better. I can go 65 with a lot of twist still in reserve, and my mileage has jumped considerably. I had clocked a 100 since yesterday, my normal refueling stop, went back to the real burn pump, and much to my surprise I could only squeeze in a gallon  Shocked
That is a normal 1.7 or so fill up. Not sure whats up, but it seems the BF'ing is not as much....
I think I'll keep with it and report my exact MPG after a few more fills.
BTW, got my new Metzler on the rear, WOW is all I can say, what a better feel  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 07/29/13 at 21:24:09

I've been dodging ethanol gas for awhile, now. I haul mower, chainsaw, and weed eater gas from non-ethanol stations. But I run anything in the Savage as long as it's good stuff with the exceotion of times when it will be parked a while. At most places around here the difference in price is supposed to be a wash between the low price of ethanol and the better mileage of non-ethanol. I messed up and put in some ethanol Shell from my usual place before surgery. After about six weeks with a half tank I took her out and got some actual carb backfire. I knew immediately what it was and tooled on home. I can see my fuel filter while riding, and it was completely black for the first time in two years. New filter, new fuel line (5/16') and fresh gas set her right. Took her up to 85 just for fun. She's baaack. (I put the bad gas in my truck)

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 05:03:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is it worth it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.