Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
"Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War (Read 2194 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: "Mileage/Cost per mile" Tire War
Reply #15 - 07/16/12 at 15:46:48

I paid $225 for a K555 installed on the rear almost 6,000 miles ago. That was with bringing them just the rear wheel. There is only one place here in a 150 mile radius that installs motorcycle tires. Not much of a choice there. That tire has about 40% life left.
The front I did different. I bought the whole wheel from Pinwall Cycles on ebay, it was almost new and that was also some 6,000 miles ago. That whole thing cost me about $75 including shipping. It was a great buy. No problems with it.

Your race horse is too heavy at $225 as sitting in the gate -- you are disqualified with an overweight horse for this kind of lowest cost per mile race.   You could have bough four (4) of my tires at that price, and mine was bought retail at my local WalMart for $55.46 with sales tax included.

« Last Edit: 07/22/12 at 06:36:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #16 - 07/16/12 at 16:26:59

Ok, just got home from work. Installed Dunlop 555 140/80/15 on the rear at 10,000 miles. I now have 11,394 miles and have 9/32 tread depth.

I bought the tire online for 110 bucks shipped and paid a shop here 50 bucks to remove the wheel, mount and balance the tire. Now I'm needing the ft tire and have a fork seal leaking. I suppose I'll try the fork seal myself and while I'm at it, I'll remove the ft wheel and take it to get a tire put on it.

This one is sorta too heavy at the gate too, $160 at the gate with only 9/32 thread available (.022").   You could have bought 3 of my tires for that price, and I have .310" worth of thread on each of mine.

« Last Edit: 09/18/12 at 17:35:50 by SaVaGeEaRL »  
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 07/16/12 at 17:36:17

My bike doesn't have an odometer... or a speedometer come to think of it...

Dunlop Qualifier (stock VS800 tire). $40 each out the door on clearance/close out. Mounting cost N/A, friend up the road has a tire machine.

The one on my wife's VS800 lasted from 1996 to 2004, about 13K miles. Same size Kenda has at least 60% tread left some 3K miles later.

Savage is lighter so expect the same when it's back in service.

You can't find Nankangs anymore? How many you need, the local VW shop has a few dozen... Huh

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 07/16/12 at 18:24:57

Thanks WD, but I'm good for the next 5 or so years with the Nexen I just bought for $55.64 from my local WalMart.   Since I modded the rear fender for the 165/80 Nankang that I ran before so I likely have enough room for this one as well.

« Last Edit: 07/22/12 at 05:52:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #19 - 07/16/12 at 18:37:34

I've got a Pirelli MT66 in the mail now, I'll update once I get it installed.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Re: Hard Rubber Rear Tire War
Reply #20 - 07/16/12 at 19:14:40

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/16/12 at 12:52:34:

Anybody else got a freshly installed rear tire that you want to get into the betting pool with?   Gotta have some pride in your tire brand and faith in the mileage, enough to put a six pack at risk?

I just mounted a brandy new rear Metzeler ME880 and took it out for a nice twisty 70-80 mile break-in rip on Saturday.  I'll have to get the paperwork and a tread depth gauge.  Cool

We have a contender here, freshly mounted Metzler 880 !!!

« Last Edit: 07/17/12 at 13:26:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #21 - 07/16/12 at 23:04:02

I would suppose this little competition isn't open to the darksiders among us. I've only put a few thousand miles on mine and it's still got the little nibs on it. Probably just as well seein' as how I don't drink anyway. But I'll not be buying a new rear tire for a long time as I took the advice of some old fella on here about two years ago.

Jack

Jack, take a good close look at the pic of my new tire ..... yeah you can play with them if you want to.   I'm sure gonna.

Do you remember your purchase price and mounting cost?   We will need that, the name brand of the tire and the tread depth dead center (missing the wear bars please) taken by the valve stem so we all do it the same each time.

« Last Edit: 07/20/12 at 05:37:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 07/19/12 at 07:15:47

Got my new tire mounted this morning.  Even with cutting away the unnecessary tubeless sealing rubber until the bead looked about like a normal old style tube type bead the air pressure necessary to seat the bead was still 56 psi and that is still up in the danger zone for bead breakage.    

Note: these were Mexican built 155/80r15 BF Goodrich Radial TAs that did all this bead breaking we keep talking about, but the lessons learned from them are still applied to mounting any and all car type tires on the rear end of a bike.  
Don't go over 60 psi to pop the bead -- something is wrong if you have to go there -- stop and fix it.

Oh well, we are gonna have to stick with not recommending car tires to anybody as folks who put them on the rims really need to know what they are doing.   We have had too many broken beads due to people hanging up a bead on something then hitting it with too high an air pressure trying to get it to go ahead and seat anyway.  

Bloooowie !!!!  Ears ringing and left wrist bleeding, months to recover completely -- don't EVER go over 60 psi to seat a bead.

BTW, MMRanch turned me on to putting grease on that small patch of bead that just won't seat otherwise.   I don't know where he picked that trick up from, but it works.    You don't grease the entire bead, just the stubborn section that won't seat otherwise.   This way rotation or slippage won't ever be an issue since less than 20% of the circumference gets the grease applied to it and the other 80% sticks to the metal rim just fine when the water and soap dry up.

Now for balancing and installation on the bike, then we will be good to go to start the Great Tire Mileage Race.

« Last Edit: 07/20/12 at 05:39:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #23 - 07/19/12 at 21:29:05

The surest way I know to ruin a tire is running it low on air pressure. Since I would guess most of you don't check your pressure until it feels squishy on a curve, a tire wear comparison should include an asterisk. Or maybe two or three. I let a good K555 run low and "feathered" the tread before I knew it. You can bet I won't do that with my Metzeler Me 880s. I checked them Monday after about a month. The front was down six lbs and the rear was down nearly ten lbs. AND buy a good guage...not the ones in the candy jar on the counter for 99 cents.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #24 - 07/19/12 at 22:02:13

Here are my Metzler 880s at 15,000 miles. Oh yea, and I weigh 300+ pounds.

Rear

oooooh, them Metzlers look like they are some stiff competition headed my way on the mileage front

Front

« Last Edit: 07/20/12 at 04:35:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #25 - 07/19/12 at 23:13:43

Looking good, Gerald. I forgot to mention I carry a small notebook in or on all my vehicles. It helps with remembering oil changes and also has dates for warranty items like water pumps and starters. I can look up the mileage/date in the notebook, then dig out the receipt from an overstuffed glove compartment.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 07/20/12 at 05:17:31

Here is the Nexen is sitting on my high tech balance stand.   This tire required 17 inches of small diameter solder wire to balance it -- no big horkin' lead weights on the spokes (even the smallest one that I had was too too much).  

This is the best balanced tire I have ever put on a bike, ever.

=============

Race mathematical methodology:

Obviously you would be best served to have a freshly mounted tire to get maximum mileage and get a least calculated cost per thousandth worn off the tire.

But, the methodology would allow a "tire in progress" to compete in the short term as the amount worn off per year is just a small sliver of the total tire life.

I propose to take the total cost of the shipped and mounted tire divided by the height of the tread in thousandths to come up with a "total cost per thousandth".   Then, each year when you report your tread height we can instantly calculate what your cost per mile was for that year and meatball how many miles "theoretically" you have left to go on the tire.

This method doesn't care how many miles you put on the tire in a year.  A little or a lot, it doesn't matter to the math.

Now, this method does penalize the Shinko guys appropriately for having to change their tires 2-3x more often for the same miles than the Metzer guys who only had to do it once.  The life of the tire consumes the entire shipping and mounting cost after all.   However, remember the Shinko costs a whale of a lot less than a Metzler so they might be competitive in the short haul cost per mile.

Thoughts anyone?   Can this be improved in any fashion?

For example, my Nexen cost $52 ($55.64 with tax) picked up at my local WalMart.  I mounted it myself, so my shipping & mounting cost was nil.  I have 310 thousandths of tread depth in the center next to the valve stem.  My total cost per thousandth of thread depth (stated in dollars) is $55.64 / 310 = $0.179
(or roughly 18 cents per thousandth).  

How long this is going to last is a different story of course, but I do have a lot of thousandths to burn on this particular tire and the net cost was low, so I think I might have me a contender.

So, unless you have a different method to propose, what is your shipped and mounted cost and your tread depth for each brand of contender out there?  We will need your current odometer mileage too.

Hey, check out the nicely curved radius on this tire, I got some high hopes for this one, I do
« Last Edit: 07/21/12 at 17:44:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

DSCF0049.JPG

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 07/20/12 at 11:05:58

OF, there is still one thing I wonder about : How does a car tire handle in the corners, specifically when getting the pegs close to contact with the road, compared to a regular MC tire?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #28 - 07/20/12 at 11:11:13

ralfyguy wrote on 07/20/12 at 11:05:58:
OF, there is still one thing I wonder about : How does a car tire handle in the corners, specifically when getting the pegs close to contact with the road, compared to a regular MC tire?

+1
I like to push real hard into the twisties so this would be a real concern for me.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 07/20/12 at 13:33:16

Shush now, I'd be more worried about getting it on the rim without having the bead break and go bloowie on you.  

Several dark sider tires are riding around the list right now.   MMRanch and I ran a darksider on all the early Dragon Runs.  Peg grinding is not an issue.

Look at the pic below, there isn't much difference between a new modern darksider's starting profile and that of a normal "worn out" rear tire's profile.

Do they ride differently -- yes -- but after a month or two your hind brain gets used to it and it feels normal to you.   I ground off the stock muffler mounting bracket on my bike and flatted my acorn nuts that hold on my brake foot petal using a darksider tire, so you can heel over just as far as you normally can with any other tire.

And no, they don't ride up on the sides like a bike tire does -- the belt construction keeps the tread more flat to the road and the sidewall does the flexing, just like it does on the front end of your car when you go around a sharp turn.  

Long term wear pattern on a darksider tire looks a good bit like a front tire on a car does, more on the edges, relatively less in the middle.

« Last Edit: 07/22/12 at 19:07:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

DSCF00306.JPG

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 04:56:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!