Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
"Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War (Read 2194 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: "Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War
Reply #105 - 07/28/13 at 12:48:57

putting a front on is a lot easier than rear.
You hauled wheels in or did they pull them?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #106 - 07/28/13 at 12:52:27

They rode the bike in and I pulled the wheels. I also have these tires on my Savage.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #107 - 07/28/13 at 13:00:30

Super Thumper, I know you have a dial caliper and you are around all the time.  

Why don't you measure your Shinko rear tire right next to the valve stem and crank you up a entry?  

I am plumb curious about Shinkos because Shinkos may well be the "normal man's" low cost tire of choice going forward since Chin Shin disappeared on us, but we gots us no long term data on them Shinkos because the folks making the entries sell their bikes or drop off the list too fast to report any results.

How to get into the spreadsheet to register your tire or to punch in your new mileage and new depth of thread .....

Go to Dropbox.com           https://www.dropbox.com/

Click on sign in: in the top right corner.

We have a shared generic Drop Box account called:  

suzukisavage@mail.com

with password:       s40boulevard

Now you click on the Public Folder when Drop Box opens up.   This will open the folder with all the shared stuff in it.  

You are looking for the Low Cost Mileage Contest.xls

Wink

Don't forget to save the spreadsheet once you are finished punching in your stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #108 - 07/28/13 at 13:17:04

Clearush, I put your numbers into the original spreadsheet.  

You tickled me, not having any Excel available to you -- I keep saying the young people can live jest fine off of Google and a hand held and Microsoft is jest doomed eventually to die off into dodo style extinction.

Most of us old codgers don't use Google, we have what we bought when we were working puppies and that's pretty durn OLD now.

I use Open Office and Linux now and I will point out to you that Open Office is totally no cost free too -- and it allows you to talk to the old fossils in prehistoric stone clickty talk jest fine ....  

.... and I betcha you can open the old style Excel spreadsheet with Google and put it back in Excel format using Google too.  Open Office shure can.

You see, we upgraded from Lotus smoke signals to Excel rock clicks about what 25 years ago, so you know we really do try to stay current around here.

Grin   Grin   Grin     clickty, clickty clik, clik-tic

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #109 - 07/28/13 at 13:23:29

Hey Oldfeller...I signed into Dropbox and created two entries for my tires but my tread depth gauge is in millimeters...hope that works.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: "Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire W
Reply #110 - 07/28/13 at 15:19:24

The spreadsheet works in whole thousandths, no decimal place needed.

I will translate these numbers and when you go back to update put the mickymeters into this and turn them into thousandths.

http://www.mm-to-inch.com/

Here is a tool to use to make the conversion.   Remember, 0.225" is really 225 thousandths and the spreadsheet counts the thousandths as 225 thousandths, not a decimal number.

Huh

Well, I tried to fix your entry but you must not have clicked File>Save when you were done punching.  ..... ain't got any data to correct.

« Last Edit: 07/29/13 at 05:08:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #111 - 07/29/13 at 06:50:25

I will try it again tonight.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #112 - 07/29/13 at 22:18:31

I'll be glad to tell you my cost per mile on my tires. I wrote down the mileage last year when they were installed. (At different times) Trouble is I was ill most of the winter and until now didn't ride like I used to. Also, tread depth is usually measured in 32nd's of an inch with 2/32 considered worn out by law. I figure I'll forget this post by the time I wear out my tires. Metzeler has now come out with a new tire. I imagine it is superior to the 880s, but I'm happy with mine now. Fact is, you twist the throttle a bunch you get less gas mileage, tire mileage, piston mileage, etc. It's hard to have a tire war, because we all ride differently and when I sold CAR tires a competitor had to recall several tires because something called carbon black was shorted in a batch of tires causing a "good" set to get around 10,000 miles.  Embarrassed

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 17:50:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.