Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
"Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War (Read 2194 times)
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: "Mileage/Cost per mile" Tire War
Reply #75 - 07/25/12 at 10:49:16

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/25/12 at 10:42:42:
But it is always good to have the smarter younger people who have actually done stuff like the 150/90-15 tire to share all the details to help out us old feeble minded geezers -- we need all the help we can get, don't you know it.  

We screw up a lot all the time now-a-days, V versus H, 28,500 vs 18,500, heck we'd have no clue about changing weld beads or stuff like that.

Soon we'll all be lined up on the porch rocking right along with Bill and talking to each other in Billish ....

OK, so I came across as being a know it all...not my intent. Embarrassed  But to compare me to Bill....That's just down right MEAN! Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #76 - 07/25/12 at 11:07:52

Mean?   Me?   I was saying I (me) was going to be lined up in the rocking chairs with Bill and the boys, not you -- you are only 39 years old and are in your prime (for the next 20 years anyway).   You don't get no rocker, your knees still work good so you sit on the stoop.

Well, you might have got teased jest a little bit for trying to teach Grandpa how to suck eggs -- and if you think a little bit about that Tech thread you read when you got in your jam with your mis-ordered tire, Grandpa wrote it.

Gotta watch them old geezers now, they fudges on you a bit they do.  I got two of them jest a fabricatin' away on their details and denying what they said earlier about taking their rear wheel in and paying dealership people to put their tire on the rim and claiming now they did theirs with their very own pinkies.   Gotta get that cost per thousandth down jest a little bit, they do.

A six pack bet is serious business to them old geezers ....      Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #77 - 07/25/12 at 11:16:03

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/25/12 at 11:07:52:

Gotta watch them old geezers now, they fudges on you a bit they do.  I got two of them jest a fabricatin' away on their details and denying what they said earlier about taking their wheels in and paying people to put their tires on and claiming now they did theirs with their very own pinkies.   Gotta get that cost per thousandth down jest a little a bit, they do.

A six pack bet is serious business to them old geezers ....      Grin

This geezer ain't gonna admit to not doing nuthin.  What I paid to have someone bust a knuckle ain't got doodly squat to do with how well my tires wear.

Not to mention the cuts I got in the labor when them youngsters at the shop did it WRONG.  "He's new here, let him do tires".  
Put on with rotation arrows backwards, loose valve nut, valve stem pointed out wrong way on rear, over inflated, under inflated, balanced wrong.  Gotta watch them kids every second.   I'd bite their hands, but I ain't go any teeth.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #78 - 07/25/12 at 13:09:43

So what did those young whippersnappers try to charge you for screwing up your tire like that?

They should have paid you to show them how to do it .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #79 - 07/25/12 at 15:40:17

UPDATE:

miles: 5544.4
tread depth: .298

and I'll leave my install price at $25, but for $50 he installed both tires, deglazed my back brake, cleaned my front caliper, drained my airbox, and waxed my tank.  So the mounting itself really cost a little less than that.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #80 - 07/25/12 at 15:54:13

Do not enter this data into the list as I'm no where near ready. I just want to describe the tires I have on the bike now.

I currently have IRC Grand High Speed GS-18F on the front in 100/90-18 M/C 57H and I have IRC Grand High Speed GS-18F 140/80-15 M/C 67H on the rear.
I am currently at 13805.3 miles.
My bike is a '99 that I purchased in 2001 with a guestimate of 3500-5000 miles (my memory sucks).
These are the same brand of tires that came on my bike. I changed tires once. So I've gone through two sets of these tires in ~10k miles so roughly 5k per set of tires.
I only feel the need to mention this because when I ordered the replacements the little mom 'n pop cycle shop I used to go to was surprised at my tires. I asked why and they said they were a really good tire. Probably gonna get 'em again depending how this thread turns out.

--Steve

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #81 - 07/25/12 at 17:13:55

Oddly enough, ever since I got the K555 140/80-15, my speedometer is dead on with the GPS. The IRC was running a bit too fast on the speedo. So in my case getting a 140/90-15 would show slower. The K555 appears bigger than the stock IRC just from the looks.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 07/25/12 at 17:51:13

Paraquat wrote on 07/25/12 at 15:54:13:
These are the same brand of tires that came on my bike. I changed tires once. So I've gone through two sets of these tires in ~10k miles so roughly 5k per set of tires.

I only feel the need to mention this because when I ordered the replacements the little mom 'n pop cycle shop I used to go to was surprised at my tires. I asked why and they said they were a really good tire. Probably gonna get 'em again depending how this thread turns out.

--Steve

The results are already in on IRC rear tires --- They Suck Bigtime

Ask yourself which you would rather do, replace your IRC every 5,000 miles for say four times (and eat all the tube and tire change costs) or put on one (1) H compound Metzler ME 880 tire at $161 plus 1 tube and tire change?

Believe me, you will pay a lot more for all those IRCs, tubes and tire changes ....

I remember the stock IRC was the world's worst tire for reacting badly to road seams and the parallel rod type road surface on a draw bridge drove it tee totally nuts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: "Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire W
Reply #83 - 07/28/12 at 15:52:40

Reworked the mathematics so you can report depth and mileage at any point in time and it should not affect your projected mileage calculation.  

Well, this is not completely true, when you have only worn off a few thousandths your error in measurement of that wee little tread depth change can be about on that order of magnitude even when using the butt-drop depth rod method on a digtal caliper.

Plus, the first thousandth or so of tread depth on a brand new tire is mostly mold release compound contaminated rubber, which is very soft and slicky and it disappears on you very quickly.

============================

Math changes also mean a used tire can play in the contest now without any penalty, all you need is an ACCURATE statement of starting tread depth and all your costs to install the tire.

============================

We still need a Shinko and a Maxxis rear tire to finish out all the major brands.

(click on the file name listed right below to see the image at full size)

Screenshot-Low_Cost_Mileage_Contest_xls_-_OpenOffice_org_Calc_007.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #84 - 07/29/12 at 10:29:47

How to get into the spreadsheet to register your tire or to punch in your new mileage and new depth of thread .....

Go to Dropbox.com           https://www.dropbox.com/

Click on sign in: in the top right corner.

We have a shared generic Drop Box account called:  

suzukisavage@mail.com

with password:       s40boulevard

Now you click on the Public Folder when Drop Box opens up.   This will open the folder with all the shared stuff in it.  

You are looking for the Low Cost Mileage Contest.xls

Wink

Don't forget to save the spreadsheet once you are finished punching in your stuff.

« Last Edit: 07/29/12 at 12:44:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Re: "Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War
Reply #85 - 09/11/12 at 20:58:13

Wore a hole into my IRC on the way home from work today  Grin

so I decided to go with the
Shinko 712   140/90-15 (70H) $58.99
Bridgestone tube pv-78 valve $17.99
rim strip $4.15
rim protectors $5.99
3 x tire irons $10.47
dyna bead starter kit $12.99
total cost $110.58 for everthing

www.rockymountainatvmc.com free shipping with $99 purchase or more  Smiley

mileage is 15,350

should have it install by the beginning of next week depending when it gets delivered.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #86 - 09/11/12 at 21:13:38

Fitted Conti Blitz 140/90 rear at 7000miles, IRC stuffed. Fitted Michelin 325/ 19 Active at 10000 miles IRC still had life Total cost $NZ299 or $US230 at Paypals  exchange rate.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 09/12/12 at 03:02:19

You new tire fellers need to log into DropBox and register your tires.

Like they expect old lazy sods like me to do it for them ?

Wink

How to get into the spreadsheet to register your tire or to punch in your new mileage and new depth of thread .....

Go to Dropbox.com           https://www.dropbox.com/

Click on sign in: in the top right corner.

We have a shared generic Drop Box account called:  

suzukisavage@mail.com

with password:       s40boulevard

Now you click on the Public Folder when Drop Box opens up.   This will open the folder with all the shared stuff in it.  

You are looking for the Low Cost Mileage Contest.xls

Wink

Don't forget to save the spreadsheet once you are finished punching in your stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #88 - 09/18/12 at 15:45:55

Included cost of tube and rim strip as cost of mounting since I did it myself. Did not include cost of tools since they can be reused on any future tire changes.

So initial cost $0.36 per tread thousandth, OF:  which is the cheapest motorcycle tire cost per thousandth found so far by like 3 cents.    If this tire lasts well at all, it will be a contender for low cost per mile as its starting cost is excellent.

Smiley   Congratulations, don't forget to update your secondary mileage and tread depth occasionally so we can see what your predicted total miles will be (and compare them to your reality later on).
« Last Edit: 09/19/12 at 19:01:17 by clearush »  

Screenshot-9-19-12_Low_Cost_Mileage_Contest_xls_-_OpenOffice_org_Calc.jpeg
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 09/19/12 at 07:08:08

We still need a Maxxis brand tire to complete out all the brands.

Remember, you can log in a tire that is already started, all you need is an ACCURATE statement of tread depth, current mileage and an accurate total cost to put the tire on the bike (mounting, tube, taxes whatever).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 09:10:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Mileage/Total Cost per Mile" Tire War

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.