Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
SAVAGE VINTAGE ROADSTER BUILD! (Read 3219 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: SAVAGE VINTAGE ROADSTER BUILD!
Reply #15 - 12/11/11 at 17:55:01

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 12/11/11 at 12:33:26:
this is going to be awesome. i cant wait to see it finished. rad!

i need a new tattoo artist too, too bad youre not in ca then we could talk bikes over ink!

HA! I will actually be coming to LA in March to do a painting workshop at Memoir Tattoo with Shawn Barber and Kim Saigh and those guys...
I've had daydreams that I get to ship my finished bike out there for the trip. I'll let you know if that works out....

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/11/11 at 18:26:30

teabowl13 wrote on 12/11/11 at 17:55:01:
wheelchairstuntn wrote on 12/11/11 at 12:33:26:
this is going to be awesome. i cant wait to see it finished. rad!

i need a new tattoo artist too, too bad youre not in ca then we could talk bikes over ink!

HA! I will actually be coming to LA in March to do a painting workshop at Memoir Tattoo with Shawn Barber and Kim Saigh and those guys...
I've had daydreams that I get to ship my finished bike out there for the trip. I'll let you know if that works out....

no way! pm a link to your work!!!

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/11/11 at 18:34:22

teabowl13 wrote on 12/11/11 at 10:53:37:
-I too had pictured the rear loop being visually continuous, as I have in the drawing, and what he has welded up right there seems pretty rough, so I need to get together with him to see what his plan for all that is....

this may be a good reference for the loop behind the seat:

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/12/11 at 06:15:01

Thanks Rpn! That's almost exactly the kind of thing I was picturing; maybe a little lower profile; not quite so duck-tailed, but YES definitely the idea.

It's a little hard working out the details.
Jay is working on this thing two hours away from me in Mass. I was supposed to go down today and work on it with him, but family stuff came up and I couldn't go. Not sure when I'll be able to get back with the holidays coming up fast, but we shall see...

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #19 - 12/12/11 at 09:59:10

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 12/11/11 at 18:34:22:
-I too had pictured the rear loop being visually continuous, as I have in the drawing, and what he has welded up right there seems pretty rough, so I need to get together with him to see what his plan for all that is....

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/rpnsht/honda-cream-cr.jpg

That's not only a very nice café racer I see, it is a VERRRY nice front drum brake !!!  Smiley

Now, drum brakes want specific forks, so...
... can anyone pleeeze help me understand which size whatevers i'm supposed to be aware of in order to understand which forks are compatible to the Savage frame with the least minimum modifications?

Wink Thanks in advance

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 12/12/11 at 11:24:52

mpescatori wrote on 12/12/11 at 09:59:10:

That's not only a very nice café racer I see, it is a VERRRY nice front drum brake !!!  Smiley

Now, drum brakes want specific forks, so...
... can anyone pleeeze help me understand which size whatevers i'm supposed to be aware of in order to understand which forks are compatible to the Savage frame with the least minimum modifications?

Wink Thanks in advance

It is sexy for sure, but I am not the one to ask about a thing like that!
In my head full of fantasies, I imagine that the easiest way to do this would be to look for a complete front end that meets your needs, and also has a head-stem that is as close as possible to the size of the stock savage stem.
I've seen things where guys have had a machinist alter, or replace the headstem from one bike to another, but that's way out of my league, and not something I plan to tackle with this bike.
I imagine an old-fashioned drum brake, like you want, would be even harder to come by; assuming you're more likely to find a modern bike front end that matches the Savage's modern front end....
Good Luck!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 12/12/11 at 11:38:34

There's a vintage racing class in the netherlands that requires drum brakes.
I would go there for inspiration and advice as they'll have the most experience in fitting a drum brake to any fork.

But other than that, I would look for a wheel/brake that fit the axle.
most will be thin enough to slip into the savage.
And I would look at the option of fitting the whole front end.

About the only trouble you'll have is the frame stops and of course the spindle.  All of the GS bikes (at least from 500 up) have the same spindle dimensions.  And the GR's have a similar offset.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 12/13/11 at 10:49:04

...this may be a good reference for the loop behind the seat...

Yeah, I had a conversation with Jay last night about that rear frame loop.
He's on the same page with me now... I'm really looking forward to seeing what it looks like in finished form.

Grin

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 12/13/11 at 11:01:19

BY THE WAY,
I've posted several questions on the forum so far about various aspects of this build, and I thought it would be a good idea to post a few links to those threads here, just to keep everything in one place (sorta..)
Forgive me if this is repetitive, but this is here for anyone who might have missed these....

Thinking about getting my brake rotor drilled... still undecided;
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1322838789

This turned out to be a really helpful discussion about CHAIN CONVERSION:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1321556481

Mini Lithium-Ion battery discussion...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1323457929

That's all I can think of right now that's important... I'll add others later if need be.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 12/14/11 at 05:34:16

I also like he long shape of this tank; it really makes the bike look more speedy. I'm thinking my slightly longer T350 tank will have a similar feel..

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 12/14/11 at 10:52:14

This is going to be cool!!!! Can you please post the name/website/email or whatever you got for the Vietnamese manufacturer of spokes??

I like this a lot!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 12/14/11 at 19:36:15

dasch wrote on 12/14/11 at 10:52:14:
This is going to be cool!!!! Can you please post the name/website/email or whatever you got for the Vietnamese manufacturer of spokes??

I like this a lot!

THANKS MAN!
I got the spokes on Fleabay from these guys:
http://stores.ebay.com/Terry-Motorcycle-Spareparts/_i.html?_nkw=spokes&submit...
They are nothing fancy; just regular spokes, but much less expensive than stainless. The other thing I like about them is that they list their spokes by LENGTH, not bike model, and they have just about any length you might need, and that's important when you're doing something that's DEFINITELY NOT STOCK.

It's worth noting that I learned a lot about spokes last month, and they are not as simple as they may seem; just getting the right length isn't always enough; the head needs to be just right, and the bend needs to be just right; often the right and left side spokes from the same wheel are just ever so slightly different...
If you look at the stainless spokes RYCA sells; you'll notice there's a very slight difference in the bend of the angle at the head of the spoke.
The ones I got were just a 90 degree bend; all alike. The guy building my wheel said they work just fine, and they ARE SAFE but that they were kind of a pain for him to install; and this guys been lacing wheels since the 1960's.
I will buy my spokes from them again; (just waiting on a measurement for the front spokes) and I've gotten a couple of other things there as well. Cheap stuff, but for someone selling on Fleabay coming from Vietnam, they seem to be pretty solid.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 12/14/11 at 19:57:32

A Few Notes on the FINISH AND COLOR:

Since I didn't get to go down and actually work on this thing this past weekend... Angry I wanted to post some thoughts about color...

From the beginning we wanted something that was going to look really vintage; not brand-new vintage, but really vintage.
A lot of the parts we are getting are used, and they show it, and they will likely stay that way. It's no rat bike, though. Everything is still in pretty good condition, just not museum quality.

On that note; we've gone back and forth a little, but for the most part we decided at the very beginning to keep the tank as I found it. It's a terrific blue-green color, with just a hint of subtle sun-fading across the top, a few small scratches and one small ding.
When I looked on Flea-bay for the correct vintage emblems, I actually bought ones on purpose that are a little beaten up, even though I found some brand new reproduction ones for close to the same price.

McMillan's frame color poll thread had me thinking about painting the frame; We'd started out thinking just black, but seeing now all the work that will be going into it; all the welding and grinding, and re-cutting the swingarm brace and etc., I decided we might as well paint the whole darn thing by the time it's done anyway.

We still want something pretty vintage looking; so we are thinking about doing a deep British racing green. Something that from a distance would read as black, but show its true color upon a closer look.

What do ya think?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #28 - 12/15/11 at 00:41:03

I say GO FOR IT!! Can't wait to see the finished product! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 12/15/11 at 19:09:46

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 21:21:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SAVAGE VINTAGE ROADSTER BUILD!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.