Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
SAVAGE VINTAGE ROADSTER BUILD! (Read 3219 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: SAVAGE VINTAGE ROADSTER BUILD!
Reply #30 - 12/15/11 at 20:05:05

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 12/11/11 at 18:26:30:
teabowl13 wrote on 12/11/11 at 17:55:01:
wheelchairstuntn wrote on 12/11/11 at 12:33:26:
this is going to be awesome. i cant wait to see it finished. rad!

i need a new tattoo artist too, too bad youre not in ca then we could talk bikes over ink!

HA! I will actually be coming to LA in March to do a painting workshop at Memoir Tattoo with Shawn Barber and Kim Saigh and those guys...
I've had daydreams that I get to ship my finished bike out there for the trip. I'll let you know if that works out....

no way! pm a link to your work!!!

You'll have to let us know when you're down here so we can do a get together.

WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 12/15/11 at 21:10:59

that's looking pretty cool man!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 12/16/11 at 07:08:39

verslagen1 wrote on 12/15/11 at 20:05:05:
wheelchairstuntn wrote on 12/11/11 at 18:26:30:
teabowl13 wrote on 12/11/11 at 17:55:01:
wheelchairstuntn wrote on 12/11/11 at 12:33:26:
this is going to be awesome. i cant wait to see it finished. rad!

i need a new tattoo artist too, too bad youre not in ca then we could talk bikes over ink!

HA! I will actually be coming to LA in March to do a painting workshop at Memoir Tattoo with Shawn Barber and Kim Saigh and those guys...
I've had daydreams that I get to ship my finished bike out there for the trip. I'll let you know if that works out....

no way! pm a link to your work!!!

You'll have to let us know when you're down here so we can do a get together.

It'll be March: My Painting workshop is scheduled for the weekend of the 24th. It'll be a short trip, and I'll be super-busy, but since you're BOTH down there, we'll have to meet up for a beer or some tacos, or a bowl of cereal somewhere, or whatever y'all SoCal types are doing these days... (I just can't keep up...)  Grin

I sent Rpn' a PM, but it's not top secret. If you want to see what I do...
http://www.chrisdingwell.com/
or, the ever popular FaceFudge....
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=534840785&ref=tn_tnmn

chris@chrisdingwell.com...

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 12/17/11 at 00:07:31

Any idea of the capacity of the tank?

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 12/17/11 at 06:45:04

JohnBoy wrote on 12/17/11 at 00:07:31:
Any idea of the capacity of the tank?

Yeah, the tank is 3.5 Gallons, or somewhere in there. I looked it when I looked up the specs for the bike: 1969 Suzuki T350.

I chose it because I mostly wanted a truly vintage looking tank, and I had it lying around, so it was already paid for! I bought it over 3 years ago to put on a Yamaha 250 that I was going to cafe at the time, but my schedule and lack of any real skills totally killed that dream, so it was just hanging around my garage taunting me! It has the correct period gas cap, and petcock. I just needed to find the badges, which wasn't too hard on Fleabay.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 12/22/11 at 13:54:44

OK, I've definitely lost my mind now....
Anyone want to chime in?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #36 - 12/22/11 at 14:01:56

teabowl13 wrote on 12/22/11 at 13:54:44:
Anyone want to chime in?

Switching to a mono-shock swingarm like that won't flow very well with the VINTAGE ROADSTER look that you were after. But, a mono-shock swingarm like that on a bobber would look pretty sweet...kinda like the one that truckinduc made for his Savage. (Even though he did many more items to make his Savage look/perform more like a street-fighter rather than a cruiser/bobber)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 12/22/11 at 19:13:57

yes i agree. the mono wouldnt fit the look youre after BUT mono-shocks are soooooo sweat. my next build will be one for sure. here are a few mono-shocks ive found..different bike but the ideas can still be riffed on:

http://www.joewiseguy.com/pittboss.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XS650-swingarm-under-braced-intallation-service-2-/26...

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1007

EJID wrote on 12/22/11 at 14:01:56:
Anyone want to chime in?

Switching to a mono-shock swingarm like that won't flow very well with the VINTAGE ROADSTER look that you were after. But, a mono-shock swingarm like that on a bobber would look pretty sweet...kinda like the one that truckinduc made for his Savage. (Even though he did many more items to make his Savage look/perform more like a street-fighter rather than a cruiser/bobber)

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 12/22/11 at 19:19:16

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26316 - that bike cray

EJID wrote on 12/22/11 at 14:01:56:
Anyone want to chime in?

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 12/22/11 at 21:28:28

If I go this route; and that's a big "IF" you're right, it won't be very vintage. But I'm not trying to pretend that this bike is anything it's not. I just want it to be the best bike it can be.

On of the things that bugs me looking at pictures of the RYCA bikes is the way that the rear shocks stick out to the sides; especially on the left where it is posted WAY out to clear the belt drive. Everything else about the bike is SO very slim, that this bit seems awkward to me, and a bit out of place.

Since this bike is going to have so much open space in the rear part of the frame, I seem to have plenty of room to work with. The oly thing I really don't know is how to come up with a shock that would actually work. I've been looking at a CBR600 shock; it's only 11.5" eye to eye, so it's short enough to fit; but the geometry of my frame would be so different than a stock CBR that it's kind of impossible to tell if the shock will actually do the job it needs too. It might squash right down the minute I sit on it, or it might be a total hard tail.  Lips Sealed

Figuring out all the math is way beyond me, so Jay and I are gonna talk about it after the holidays, and we'll see whether it makes sense then. For now it's just Pie-in-the-Sky, but it's fun to draw up on a slow day at work.... Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 12/22/11 at 22:27:04

There was a vincent with a soft tail config.
The shock were at the back bone and it flexed at the bottom.

So if you took your sketch and flipped the bracing to the top and extended it upwards.

I can help you with the math.

swingarm is 19" axle to pivot
shock mt is 15" mt to pivot
upper mt is 13" to pivot

spring rate is about 100#per inch
times 2 times or 200 # per inch at the shock mt.
The angle the shock is leaning over will change that too.
I'll be glad to look at it once you have the geometry you want.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 12/24/11 at 22:46:34

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 12/25/11 at 18:48:25

That's a GORGOEUS Vincent! (an understatement, I know...)

And YES, it's a really good way to get a mono-shock into the frame.
In fact, as I've looked around at mono-shock conversions on the inter-nerd, and I've seen that most of them are designed basically this way; a large brace comes up above the swingarm, and the shock itself positioned more horizontally.

I can't help but assume that smarter people than me (like the nice folks at Vincent Motor Company...) have figured out that this system works better than what I have come up with so far.

Yes, I could move the shock up and forward in the frame, but I will run into the carb and filter at some point. Of course, I could turn those out to the side for a more sporting look... but I was also planning to tuck all of my electricals into that upper space...
None the less, this has me thinking about some alterations to my drawing that could be fruitful...

Either way, the complicated part is figuring out what kind of shock will actually WORK with whatever geometry I figure out (Since I can't aford to spend $1,200 to have the Ohlins R&D team build me something custom...)
The other option is to source a shock; say the CBR shock, and then work backwards from there to design a geometry that will suit it.

Either way, it ain't easy, but it is fun to think about.
And NO, it won't really fit with the "Retro" look I started aiming at, but I don't mind a bit of mish-mash....

Gets complicated, don't it?  Grin

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 02/11/12 at 07:57:21

NEWEST UPDATE!

OK, so it's been a couple of months; Christmas, Winter, Work, all that mess has gotten in the way, but progress is being made...

I don't have any new photos to post right now, but as she sits, the bike is now completely stripped down, the frame is all welded together, and fixed up, ready for paint this week we hope! We've decided to go with a deep British Racing green for the frame color, and the headlight bucket; can't wait to see that.

We will also be pulling out the Cam chain tensioner and the front brake rotor to ship out to Verslagen for fixing up and drilling out. Thanks Verslagen, you're AWESOME!

After much debate and discussion, we've decided to pass on the monoshock idea. While I do think that it could be made to work with the '94 Shadow 600 shock that I have, (and I may still re-visit it at a later date) we both agree that it doesn't fit the idea and aesthetic of the bike we set out to build. We'd be opening up a big can of worms for what may not be any real benefit at all except that we could feel all smug about it if we could pull it off. Not so smug if it didn't work...

What Jay is going to do for me is to move the Left Shock mounts inward somewhat so that it doesn't stick out so awkwardly; that was really my main complaint anyway. That will tidy up the rear end and make more sense since we won't need such wide a space for clearing the belt.

That's it for now! We still have a long way to go, but there's still lots of Winter up here in the Northeast, so there's plenty of time still to get it on the road by the time we see Spring.

Cheers Everyone!   Wink

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 03/13/12 at 13:42:40

WOW! Finally got to go down to Jay's place and get some work done last weekend. I drove down Saturday night after the kids went to sleep, and woke up to find my bike entirely apart! It's a good thing this Savage goes together easy...

First time I'd seen the inside of the motor, and what's visible so far looks brand new!  Grin

And the rest of it is all over here somewhere....

Swingarm is sitting on the table; Jay modified the center bracing to make more room for the rear tire... Just tacked together for now, and that's a good thing; we found it was a little too tight when we went to put it back together!

Here are the shocks sitting next to the Dyna Muffler we were going to use, but Jay found this older muffler on the shelf at his shop, and it was a great price; FREE! so we thought we'd try it. Check out the new Ballistic Lithium Ion Battery sitting there too....

And in the blink of an eye, she's all back together!
The new muffler is amazing! Looks like it was made for the bike (It actually sits tighter than it looks here, the header wasn't tightened down, but it'll work) It's the exact size to fit over the outer header pipe, so it makes a super smooth transition. My only fear is that it'll be really loud; it's pretty wide open inside, and that it'll be hard to tune correctly... but it looks too darn cool not to use it....

Footpegs come from a '91 FZR600; not quite the right period, but they bolt on just like all the aftermarket rearsets, and personally I like the way they look a lot better. Besides they were a third the price... Just have to weld a couple of brackets to the frame and she's done. The stock Savage shifter arm is even the exact right size!

And here's the battery tucked down into that "what-ever-it-is-you-California-types-get-that-we-don't-need" bracket between the engine and swingarm. It''ll be virtually invisible, as will the wires running up the back of the frame. Hooray! (let's just pray it works...  Roll Eyes)

Gonna have to make room for the petcock... darn, it's a tight fit up here!

Getting ready to fiberglass the seat pan!!

Jay gives it a nice massage....

And there she is! That'll get cut to shape this week, and mounting bolts added, and hopefully he'll be bringing it to me this weekend to get started on the upholstery! That's my job...

OH YEAH! the chain is on... Gonna need to make some sort of delrin slider guard for that swingarm for sure!

Fender placed just for photo's sake... The stock bracket will come off, and to hold it up, he'll use two simple rods extending up from a point on the swingarm to where the original bracket's rivet holes are. Here's a few more shots just for fun...

This one shows the pipe hitting the swingarm, but when it's finally assembled, we will be able to pull that pipe forward another two inches or so, and bend it slightly out, so it should just clear the swingarm, especially once it's sitting on its full weight...

I paid way more than I wanted to for these badges on Fleabay, but they have exactly the right amount of "patina" to match the tank...

Oh, and Lastly... Jay would probably be making a lot more progress on this thing except that he just picked up this old Sportster Cafe project; FOR A DOLLAR!!  Grin

And that's all for now, Folks!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 16:24:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SAVAGE VINTAGE ROADSTER BUILD!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.