Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
RYCA WITH CHAIN CONVERSION?? (Read 735 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RYCA WITH CHAIN CONVERSION??
11/17/11 at 11:01:20

HEY KIDS,

I'm just brain storming at this point... building a Vintage roadster out of my $250 Savage (nothing really built yet, but soon, with pictures to follow...) and my builder friend wants to do a chain conversion... I know a couple of the RYCA guys are doing that, and I'm wondering how that has worked out and what sprockets you guys are running...

Hutch's recommendation, and a couple others seem to like the 17/43 combo, but that's hitting the swingarms on bikes that are running 12.5" shocks; I'm going to be running 13" shocks...
Would the 18/45 be enough to clear?

MPNOFFI, who is doing the Scrambler build, calculated that 16/52 would maintain the stock gearing ratios, accounting for the 18" rear tire, but how big of an issue is this anyway?
All of the RYCA bikes that keep the belt drive are not changing the gearing to account for the tires... How much of a difference does the 18" rear tire make to the way it rides with the belt?

Maybe I need to do some trial and error here, but thought it would help to ask first... we're still in the planning and plotting stages, wither up here is long and still just barely getting started, so we have time on our side...

Thanks Y'all!!

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: RYCA WITH CHAIN CONVERSION??
Reply #1 - 11/17/11 at 12:37:07

The diameter of a tire for an 18" rim is about 2" more than the diameter of a tire for a 15" rim.

Your gearing choice depends on whether you want mostly quick acceleration from a stop or smoother cruising/higher top speed.

Countershaft sprockets are a smaller diameter than the belt pulley. That can cause chain clearance issues at the swingarm -- depending on if the swing arm is mounted on the outside of the frame, like the Savage, or on the inside, like a normal bike. Longer shock exacerbate the problem on Savage frames. On my Ryca chain conversion, I had to grind a little off the chain side swingarm pivot. There's just enough clearance with a 17T countershaft sprocket. I think I'll go up to an 18T and rethink whether I want bottom end quickness or more top end. It's going to be a bop-around-town bike, not a freeway blaster or long-haul bike. But that's the advantage of chain drive, you have options.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/17/11 at 12:54:22

HEY BUDDAH,
That's what I read in your thread. AMAZINGLY helpful, by the way. I can't thank you enough for posting everything you have.
So for you, looking for all around cruising, rather than top speed, you'd go with 18 front 45 rear, right?
I know your bike has 12.5" shocks; do you think the 18 tooth front sprocket will give enough clearance if I am running 13" shocks? Or should I maybe go bigger?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 11/17/11 at 13:39:16

I don't think there are any countershaft sprockets larger than 18T. I also don't know if there would be enough clearance in the crankcase for something larger. But you can get more swingarm clearance with a larger rear sprocket, too, though it might not give you the gearing you want.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/17/11 at 13:43:26

Yeah, I just saw that; 18 is the biggest front sprocket, but you're right, if I have issues, I can try a larger rear sprocket.
Did you ever experiment with the chain roller thingie that you got? The little sprocket-on-a-post piece you were thinking about mounting to push the chain up above the swingarm? Where did you find that thing? What is it called? I like that idea, but I don't even know what to look for to find one...

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/17/11 at 13:49:36

Ignore that last question; I just did a search on Ebay for chain tensioners, and found a bunch. I just didn't think it would be that easy... DUH!

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/17/11 at 14:42:43

according to hutch, the original chain conversion, the 18t front sprocket will not work. not enough clearance for the chain. If you live in a hilly area dont bother changing ratios unless you're going lower, or if you're on the freeway for long periods. 17/45 is about stock and it barely clears the swingarm.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/17/11 at 17:33:47

I did see at the beginning of his post that he says the 18T front sprocket won't fit, but in looking at his pictures, it certainly seems like it could?
He doesn't say where the clearance issue is with the 18t, just that it doesn't fit. It looks like it would fit easily inside the case, after all it should still be smaller in diameter than the original belt pulley, right?
I have to trust his experience though, since he is the one who has done it, and I have not... but I'd like to know why the 18 doesn't fit.
Has anyone been able to use an 18t front sprocket on their Savage?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 11/17/11 at 17:49:23

would a "slider" work on the swing arm like those on dirt bikes??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - 11/17/11 at 19:09:31

It's just a matter of finding a chunk of nylon that fits.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/18/11 at 08:19:57

That's what I've been thinking...
Either a nylon/delrin slider thing-a-ma-jiggy, or one of those fancy chain tensioners with the tiny spinning sprocket on it that the bobber guys use sometimes.
Another hundred hours scanning through scraps on Ebay; OH MY!!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/18/11 at 08:32:09

I'm thinking about possibly mounting something like this to the inside of the swingarm. They make cheaper ones without the spring, but it seems to me that the spring would be essential to accommodate the movement of the swingarm and rear suspension travel. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110687471228?item=110687471228&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#ht_2...

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #12 - 11/18/11 at 08:44:09

Spring loaded tensioners are designed to be used on the bottom loop of the chain, taking up slack to keep the chain from jumping off the sprockets. It wouldn't work on the top loop of the chain, which is tensioned under power. The chain would just push the cog down until it couldn't pivot anymore (which might also be the point where the cog hits the swingarm).  Might as well use one without a spring. If you locate it as near as possible to the swingarm pivot, you can minimize whatever negative effects swingarm movement would cause.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #13 - 11/18/11 at 08:45:46

In a few days we'll have a definitive answer whether an 18T sprocket will fit. I ordered one (along with a larger rear sprocket). I will provide photos.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/18/11 at 14:11:24

Thanks Buddah.
I had my suspicions about the spring loaded one. What you are saying makes perfect sense. My concern with using one in a fixed position was that the chain might jump off of it when riding over large bumps etc. (We get a lot of that up here in Maine...) but you are right: if it's as close to the swingarm pivot as possible the chain movement will be minimal as long as it is properly adjusted. Besides that, the swingarm itself will also be moving with it, so that makes sense.

I won't order any sprockets until I hear back from you about the 18t!!
I hope it works, for both of us! Your bike is AMAZINGLY beautiful; it would really be a shame to mess up all that beautiful powder coating...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 00:25:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RYCA WITH CHAIN CONVERSION??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.