Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
DRILLED BRAKE ROTOR SERVICE? (Read 800 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

DRILLED BRAKE ROTOR SERVICE?
12/02/11 at 07:13:08

JUST CURIOUS...
Have any of you used this guy's service? How was it? Did you like the results? Was he good to deal with? Let me know if you have any info...
Cheers!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160398276654?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: DRILLED BRAKE ROTOR SERVICE?
Reply #1 - 12/02/11 at 08:23:15

The stock rotor isn't very thick and if you sweat the rapidly approaching "service minimum thickness" you aren't going to get the $50 plus shipping worth of use out of drilling it.

You can buy an after market pre-drilled disk from EBC that is thicker than the stock disk for $168

Or you can do like many on here -- just keep on using the stock rotor after "service minimum thickness" has gone on by ....

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/02/11 at 08:58:36

As long as its thick enough to dissipate the heat & not fade, or warp because it was hot when you hit that puddle, its a usable brake disk.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 12/02/11 at 09:02:53

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 12/02/11 at 09:26:28

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/02/11 at 08:23:15:

...you aren't going to get the $50 plus shipping worth of use out of drilling it.

Cost-benefit ratios and maximum usage aren't always at the top of other people's priority lists. Sometimes people want to do things just because they think it's cool.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/02/11 at 09:38:12

Thanks Guys!
My stock rotor appears fine, with lots of life left in it. I'm not looking to shed massive pounds or anything, just like the look of it; something to make my custom project a little more custom.

I'm always cautious about these guys and their services on Fleabay. I figured if he was serious and worth it, you guys would know about him here, so I wanted to check in.

NO, Buddah, it's not the same as the guy you posted. This one is in Kentucky somewhere; the one you posted from the SOHC forum is in Georgia, and from what I can see does some really nice work. He might be worth contacting if I decide to go forward with the idea.
I'm still not sure it's even worth it; I actually like the look of the stock rotor quite well...

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 12/02/11 at 09:40:02

can someone please explain to me why motorcycle brake rotors are ten times more expensive than car rotors?

I understand that fewer rotors need to be made and that drives the cost up, but really? $300 for a circular piece of metal with holes in it? (not on the savage, but on some other bikes it is expensive. try finding one for a '85 honda vf700s sabre).

EBC's $160 rotor:
http://www.jcmotors.com/p-27990-ebc-pro-lite-replacement-front-left-brake-rot...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/02/11 at 10:14:27

spacepirates wrote on 12/02/11 at 09:40:02:
... try finding one for a '85 honda vf700s sabre)...

I had an '82 750 Sabre myself for two years. Loved the bike, but Hated trying to find stuff for it, or get it repaired. WAY too rare... everything is Unobtainium. If you don't know already, go to www.sabmag.org. those guys are every bit as cool as the guys on this site and they can help you out a lot.

I sold that Sabre and got a '92 nighthawk 750. Not the sexiest beast on the road, but like the Savage; it was on the market for about 12 years unchanged, so there's parts a-plenty and the bike is bone-simple. What a great combo?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 12/02/11 at 11:33:12

teabowl13 wrote on 12/02/11 at 07:13:08:
JUST CURIOUS...
Have any of you used this guy's service? How was it? Did you like the results? Was he good to deal with? Let me know if you have any info...
Cheers!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160398276654?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

Strange,... but the holes in the disc mounted on the bike, looks a lot more random than the one pictured off the bike..
I could do a better job myself, with a hand drill... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/02/11 at 12:45:27

Serowbot wrote on 12/02/11 at 11:33:12:

I thought the very same thing when I saw this listing,
And the fact that none of you regulars who has chimed in so far seems to have ever heard of this guy so far, makes me think I'll be avoiding him...

If anyone knows anything about this guy and his rotor service, please come forth!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 12/02/11 at 12:57:10

I can't knock this guy's service or parts, I think he is a decent businessman. My bike had his spiked hardtail struts installed on it when I bought the bike from the PO and they were good, heavy, quality pieces. I believe he sells to the Savage/S40 market trying to be the aftermarket parts supplier that some riders are looking for since the other channels of aftermarket parts have pretty much ignored our Savage/S40. Many of us on this board tend to find things that work, or make them work (he just sells the same types of things we do to our own bikes).

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 12/02/11 at 13:29:34

Haven't bought anything from him myself.
You might find similar posts to yours over the years.
But I don't think many have bought from him simply cause much of the stuff he sells is an "added value" to an existing product.
"added value" meaning he's made the mod to fit our bike.
And the upgraded price to go with it.

I personally don't remember any bad comments about DZcustoms.

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 12/13/11 at 11:45:07

[/quote]

[/quote]

Could it be done? Can one drill their own rotor?

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #13 - 12/13/11 at 13:51:46

You could drill your own rotor but remember that everything should remain balanced or you could get a wobble in your front tire. I would want to use a milling machine with an indexing table to get everything even and balanced

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 12/13/11 at 13:59:29

splash07 wrote on 12/13/11 at 11:45:07:
Quote:

Could it be done? Can one drill their own rotor?

I don't see why not.  I would get a template made so it doesn't end up looking like the sample on the bike.  I'd use a smaller hole, 3/16" or 1/4".  chamfer the holes good.

The pattern has to be ballanced and designed to sweep all of the pad.  I don't know if it's a good idea to over lap the edges of the pad with the holes.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 19:07:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DRILLED BRAKE ROTOR SERVICE?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.