Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LITIUM BATTERIES ANYONE?? (Read 471 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LITIUM BATTERIES ANYONE??
12/09/11 at 11:12:08

I almost posted this in RipnSht's thread, since he's ben talking about them, but realized as I was writing it that I didn't want to hijack him, so I'm posting it separately instead...

I was just looking at the Ballistic Batteries online last night. Their 4-cell Lithium Ion battery looks interesting for sure. Certainly smaller than anything else, but then it gives you much lower cold cranking amps....

I was originally looking at the Mini-Battery install thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259644714
I really want to mount my battery in this spot.
He's using a Yuasa, YTZ7S: that has 130cca.
It's 4.6 lbs, and about $100 on Fleabay.

Ballistic 4-cell has 135cca; it's tiny and not too expensive ($105) ... but is it strong enough?
(The replacement stock batteries have 210-220cca, depending on where I look. I'm not sure what the original factory batteries were since these all claim to be stronger than and outperform the stock battery.)

RipnSht's 8-cell Antigravity battery has 240cca, but it's almost $200.
Ballistic has an 8-cell with 275cca for $142.95. (it's just slightly bigger, slightly heavier than the Antigravity.)

Here's my question...
If the YTZ7S with 130 Cold Cranking Amps is enough to start and run the bike well, then the Ballistic 4-cell battery, with 135cca should work just as well, right? It's super-tiny and around the same price, so it seems like a much better deal, but what do you guys think?
Too good to be true?

If anyone has any experience with Ballistic's batteries, I'd love to hear from you...

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: LITIUM BATTERIES ANYONE??
Reply #1 - 12/09/11 at 14:19:36

should work fine. And cheaper than any other lithium ion battery ive seen. When my YTZ kicks the bucket I think i'll get one of those. Sufficient cca, Big crank price, wee crank size. Nice find.

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/09/11 at 14:28:24

teabowl13 wrote on 12/09/11 at 11:12:08:
I almost posted this in RipnSht's thread, since he's ben talking about them, but realized as I was writing it that I didn't want to hijack him, so I'm posting it separately instead...

I was just looking at the Ballistic Batteries online last night. Their 4-cell Lithium Ion battery looks interesting for sure. Certainly smaller than anything else, but then it gives you much lower cold cranking amps....

Ballistic 4-cell has 135cca; it's tiny and not too expensive ($105) ... but is it strong enough?
(The replacement stock batteries have 210-220cca, depending on where I look. I'm not sure what the original factory batteries were since these all claim to be stronger than and outperform the stock battery.)

Ballistic has an 8-cell with 275cca for $142.95. (it's just slightly bigger, slightly heavier than the Antigravity.)

Here's my question...
If the YTZ7S with 130 Cold Cranking Amps is enough to start and run the bike well, then the Ballistic 4-cell battery, with 135cca should work just as well, right? It's super-tiny and around the same price, so it seems like a much better deal, but what do you guys think?
Too good to be true?

If anyone has any experience with Ballistic's batteries, I'd love to hear from you...

i went with the bigger one cuz id rather be safe than sorry but yes im sure my battery is overkill

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/09/11 at 18:22:16

too bad they don't have a 6 cell

http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.php

8 Cell EVO 2

Dimensions: 112MM (L) x 60MM (W) x 103MM (H)
Positive Terminal Location: Left
Weight: 825 grams (1.81 lb)
Voltage (Charged): 13.6V
Amperage: 15 Pbeq A/H
Cold Cranking Amps: 275 CCA
Operating Environment: -18°C (0°F) to 60°C (140°F)
Typical Applications: 1000cc and under multi-cylinder motorcycles and 450cc singles.
8 Cell EVO2 (100-011) - $159.99

4 Cell EVO2

Dimensions: 60MM (L) x 60MM (W) x 103MM (H)
Positive Terminal Location: Left
Weight: 400 grams (.885 lb)
Voltage (Charged): 13.6V
Amperage: 8 Pbeq A/H
Cold Cranking Amps: 135 CCA
Operating Environment: -18°C (0°F) to 60°C (140°F)
Typical Applications: 550cc and under multi-cylinder motorcycles, scooters, and ATV’s.
4 Cell EVO 2 (100-010) - $99.99

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 12/09/11 at 18:28:47

http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=994

The Antigravity 8-Cell

The Antigravity 8-cell is only a on inch wider than the 4-cell, but offers twice the power and capacity. This tiny battery is one of our most popular models.  It can be used to start race/track  bikes up to 1200cc, or handles street duty in bikes up to 800cc.  This model is also a perfect for replacement for 350-650cc dirt bikes.

300 Pulse CA 240 CCA
   9.7 Amp Hours (PbEq)
   4.25″  Long  x 2.2″ Wide x 3.25″ Tall
   1.7 lbs
   For Race vehicles up to 1200cc
   For Street Motorcycles  up to 850cc
$180

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/09/11 at 18:36:52

bigcrank

Specifications                              ETX9      ETX12      ETX14      ETX15(ETX15L)
Volts                                            12              12              12              12
Ah @ 10hr rate                        8 Ah             10 Ah      12 Ah      14 Ah
CCA (cold cranking amps)      120A      180A      220A      220A
Terminals2                              OE Dual      OE Dual      OE Dual      OE Dual

Width inch(mm)                      3 7/16(88)      3 7/16(88)      3 7/16(88)      3 1/2(90)
Length (terminal side)            5 7/8(150)      5 7/8(150)      5 7/8(150)      5 1/4(134)
Height (includes terminals)      4 3/16(106)      5 1/8(130)      5 3/4(145)      6 9/16(166)
Weight, lb(kg)                            6.3(2.9)              9.4(4.3)              12.0(5.4)              11.0(5.0)

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/09/11 at 18:41:28

You can go with a smaller battery, but here's the catch... you won't have as much reserve.  So, if the charging circuit goes out, or you flood it, or, or, or... you gonna have to push it.

WWW   IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/09/11 at 19:07:42

verslagen1 wrote on 12/09/11 at 18:41:28:
You can go with a smaller battery, but here's the catch... you won't have as much reserve.  So, if the charging circuit goes out, or you flood it, or, or, or... you gonna have to push it.

my thoughts exactly  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 12/09/11 at 20:07:12

That being said, I got a cheap chineese agm battery size 10
supposedly with 190 cca

if it wasn't mainly a commuter and I didn't know how to push start... I'd worry.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 12/11/11 at 12:10:55

teabowl13 wrote on 12/09/11 at 11:12:08:

Here's my question...
Too good to be true?

My understanding of li-ion batteries vs lead-acid, is that it is hard to get an apples to apples comparison.. li-ion batteries have much less internal resistance and will maintain something near 12v a lot longer than a lead-acid battery with the same CCA rating.  

IOW, if both batteries have the same cold cranking amps rating, the li-ion battery will keep the engine spinning over maybe twice as long as a lead-acid battery. Like ni-cads, though, when a li-ion battery runs out of juices it dies right now.  A lead-acid battery, although it will die a lot sooner, starts slowing down more gradually.

« Last Edit: 12/11/11 at 19:37:22 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: LIHTIUM BATTERIES ANYONE??
Reply #10 - 12/11/11 at 17:47:44

Gyrobob wrote on 12/11/11 at 12:10:55:
My understanding of li-ion batteries vs lead-acid, is that it is hard to get an apples to apples comparison.. li-ion batteries have much less internal resistance and will maintain something near 12v a lot longer than a lead-acid battery with the same CCA rating.  

IOW, if both batteries have the same cold cranking amps rating, the li-ion battery will keep the enging spinning over maybe twice as long as a lead-acid battery. Like ni-cads, though, when a li-ion battery runs out of juices it dies right now.  A lead-acid battery, although it will die a lot sooner, starts slowing down more gradually.

[/size]

So, if I may over-simplify what you are saying...
A Li-ion batter with 135cca could crank just about the same as a Lead-Acid battery with 220cca when you first hit the button, but the Li-ion battery is going to die off much sooner. That seems in line with what others have said above.

I guess my next question should be: How hard is it to push start a Savage?
It can't be too terrible, right? So maybe it's worth the risk just to see if it works out.
I know that most stock batteries are way over built for their bike's needs, and are often chosen simply because they are convenient for the manufacturer to use and swap between different models.

Thanks for all of your help guys!
I shall confer with my builder-guy and see what he has to say...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: LIHTIUM BATTERIES ANYONE??
Reply #11 - 12/11/11 at 19:49:43

teabowl13 said, "So, if I may over-simplify what you are saying...
A Li-ion batter with 135cca could crank just about the same as a Lead-Acid battery with 220cca when you first hit the button, but the Li-ion battery is going to die off much sooner."

No.

A li-ion battery would crank at full speed for the duration of what energy it had lasted. Then it would stop in a hurry.  A lead acid battery with the same rating would crank at full speed for half as long and then start slowing down.  When the lead-acid battery starts slowing down it will be less and less likely to start an engine because the engine would be turning over more slowly and the voltage available for the ignition system would be lower and lower.  So, for the same CCA rating, a li-ion battery would have a lot more cranking performance and yet take up much less space and weigh a LOT less.

I would guess that a 135 li-ion would compare well with the 220 lead-acid.  The li-ion would crank the engine well for a certain time period.  The larger lead acid would crank the engine well for maybe the same time period, but then would be slowing down -- less voltage for cranking and for ignition.

A difficult starting engine needs full battery power.  A smaller-CCA li-ion will give full power as long as a larger-CCA lead-acid battery.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/11/11 at 21:32:05

Quote:
smaller-CCA li-ion will give full power as long as a larger-CCA lead-acid battery.   The larger lead acid would crank the engine well for maybe the same time period, but then would be slowing down -- less voltage for cranking and for ignition.

Keeping the lead-acid battery would give you the advantage of warning that it's going south.  Knowing this, you can stop cranking and start pushing.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/12/11 at 06:24:58

Yes, that makes sense... Thanks!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 12/12/11 at 07:43:05

verslagen1 wrote on 12/11/11 at 21:32:05:
Quote:
smaller-CCA li-ion will give full power as long as a larger-CCA lead-acid battery.   The larger lead acid would crank the engine well for maybe the same time period, but then would be slowing down -- less voltage for cranking and for ignition.

Keeping the lead-acid battery would give you the advantage of warning that it's going south.  Knowing this, you can stop cranking and start pushing.

This is true.  As always, Verslagen speaketh the truth. 

Everything in life and motorcycles is a compromise.  
 -- You can use a li-ion battery (2.5" x 2.5" x 3.5") that weighs 10 ounces (less than a pound!)
 -- You can use a stock battery that weighs 11 lbs and takes up the same space as four of the li-ion batteries.  
 -- For that matter you could make the battery box bigger and put a Gold Wing battery in there, and have way more reserve power.  7 x 3 x 6, 16 lbs

They all will spin an LS650 motor over for a minute or more,... all have enough energy to melt the starter motor before they run out of juice if you just hold the starter button down.

Yes, the li-ion will crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and then, when it starts to run out of juice, it will crank for another 20 seconds or so as it slows down and dies.  The stock lead-acid battery will do the same thing, but take a minute or two to die after it starts to slow down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 19:58:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LITIUM BATTERIES ANYONE??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.