Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
SAVAGE VINTAGE ROADSTER BUILD! (Read 3219 times)
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: SAVAGE VINTAGE ROADSTER BUILD!
Reply #45 - 03/15/12 at 11:49:00

WOOOOOW!!! What is that!! For a Dollar?? Come the f*ck on!! Why I don't get a deal like that?

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 03/15/12 at 12:23:39

It's some sort of half finished race built Iron Head Sportster. I don't know Harley's at all, so that's all I can tell you, but it's going to be a serious beast when he gets done with it. He's using an old BMW Toaster tank on it that he's got cut up, and he's thinking about painting the frame in a gold chrome. (I told him he was insane!)  Grin

IP Logged
Finney138

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 03/15/12 at 14:14:30

the build is coming along really nice tea bowl, really like the tank. that trumpet lookin muffler suits everything pretty well too.

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #48 - 03/17/12 at 11:08:36

Do you have foreseeable chain rubbing on the swingarm?  What size sprockets are you running?  Thinking of maybe a roller on top of it if there is room to fit it in.  Let us know what you are doing in that area.  Love it so far.

Also, what chain are you using and where did you source the chain/sprockets?  Cheers.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 03/17/12 at 13:52:35

GLAD YA LIKE IT!
Actually I started a whole thread when I was pondering the chain conversion:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1321556481/0
There are others if you search, but to answer your questions;

I'm going to be running 18t front, 47t rear. That seemed like a good compromise between more top end without losing too much low end/ mid-range power. I really won't have anything to compare it too since I never actually got to ride this Savage before we tore it down.

After we lined everything up last weekend, it was obvious that it probably will rub at least a little, so Jay is going to bolt on a simple Nylon or Delrin slider to deal with that. We thought about a roller thingie, but it seems over-kill for this bike.

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #50 - 03/17/12 at 16:10:47

Right on, a bolt on slider is by far the simplest solution and more can always be done later after the shakedowns, which may never end, haha.  Cheers -D

WWW   IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #51 - 03/17/12 at 16:24:50

WWW   IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #52 - 03/17/12 at 16:31:39

DRZ400SM1606027.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #53 - 03/17/12 at 16:33:03

You can get new tank badges like that at Reproduction Decals. (I did.)
http://www.reproductiondecals.com

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 03/17/12 at 19:00:30

Thanks S.G.S. I like the DRZ swingarm; I suppose I could put the whole swingarm on the bike, Right? Ah well... our slider won't be nearly so elaborate. Probably just a small home made chunk of stuff... bolted on: really simple.

Motobuddah and RipNSht both battled with this issue in their RYCA builds.

Artteacher... As to the tank badges; I looked at reproduction badges, but I really do LIKE them a little beaten up. I don't want this to look like a brand new bike at all; the tank is going to stay exactly the way you see it; no repairs, no bondo, no new paint... Should be a little rugged...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #55 - 03/18/12 at 05:05:02

somebody wrote on the frame where the petcock goes,,

Ahhhhbmmm,, Im tellinnn..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 03/18/12 at 13:07:40

Sorry Justin... I thought we were all adults here...   Grin

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 06/07/12 at 09:36:43

Looks like I've been posting things on everybody else's thread here except my own lately!

I'll be very glad when this bike gets on the road, but my soon-to-be-ex-friend Jay, who's been doing a lot of the work has totally dropped the ball and left me hanging.

He's two hours away from me and has the frame out to get welded by one guy, the front wheel out to another buddy of his, and the seat off to someone else. I've got over a dozen text messages from him in the last two months that all say "Sorry Dude, I'll call you tomorrow..." But I'm still waiting for that call... He says he's "Hoping" to get my parts back from his friends this week, but seriously he's had this stuff for over four months now...

When he does, he'll bring all the parts up here to me so I can get it finished myself! That wasn't my plan, or the deal we made, but it's my only hope of getting it done at this point. Wish me luck!

Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 07/29/12 at 21:29:46

I haven't updated this thread in forever, I realize, but here's the short version for now.

Ex-friend Jay finally delivered the bike unfinished and in pieces last month or so, and I've been going through making a lot of changes, covering up his mistakes, re-working stuff that got screwed up, and trying to finish off all the stuff that was left undone, and I AM MAKING PROGRESS!!

One of the things I have been able to document so far is a fun little thing I've been working on for the exhaust.
The big megaphone muffler he gave me won't work because he welded the brackets for the rearsets to the frame in such a way that they don't allow room for either the megaphone or the usual Dyna muffler set-up which was going to be my other choice.
After a lot of wrangling, and head scratching, I've ended up trying to build my own MINI-MUFFLER from some Autozone tubing and a reproduction Penton 250 muffler I bought some time ago on Ebay (long story...)

Anyway, I started a thread for that this week, and I've posted a bunch of pictures about it there... so here's the thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1343514820/0#0

And here's a photo of the thing...

MINI-MUFFLER-3_001.JPG
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #59 - 07/30/12 at 12:59:35

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 12/22/11 at 19:19:16:

That bike is going to have huge dents in the tank if he ever rides it.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 12:43:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SAVAGE VINTAGE ROADSTER BUILD!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.