Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Jardine again..... (now MAC) (Read 30 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: Jardine again..... (now MAC)
Reply #45 - 10/24/04 at 07:51:56

Jets may have the same bore size but if the taper in and out are different they will flow different.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: Jardine again.....
Reply #46 - 10/24/04 at 12:10:35

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
 My spouse's has 14 disks and she runs a 152 and a "1/2 spacer".

Any other mods to the spouses bike like a K&N or does she just have the Supertrapp?  I'm open to using someone elses similar setup as a 'starting point'.  Hopefully when I do the valve clearance check at 600 miles...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #47 - 10/24/04 at 17:38:02

Well, I've been surfing this site since July and have read several topics, that's true.  I did not take particular note of which specific ranges of jets were mentioned nor by whom.  I can, however, assure you the Dynojet kit I have does indeed have a 146 main included in it (along with several others starting with a 138, I believe). I used the 146 today.  There was a stock Mikuni 145 in the carb to begin with and it did concern me that the largest in the kit was a 146 but from reading another post just today, it seems the Dynojet jets are different from the Minkuni jets.  In any case, it seems to be running pretty well though I do intend to get a handful of the Mikuni mains to play with because I think it's still a bit lean.  I also have a K&N direct replacement for the stock filter.  While I was in it I replaced the needle with the new Dynojet version and replaced all of the stock screws with stainless hex-head versions to make it easier to get to next time.

Also, I was unaware that any baffling existed on the Raaske since everyone always refers to it as a straight pipe.  I've never seen one in person.  Your note that it does contain baffles make me wonder if the MAC may not then be very similar in function, but as a slip-on rather than a full pipe.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mownor
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Look cool!  You
know who you are.

Reply #48 - 10/24/04 at 18:35:34

Ok, let me stick my oar in.  Greg is right, stock Mikuni main jets come in 2.5 intervals.  Savage Rob is right, Dynojet has main jets from 138 to 146 in increments of 2.  Dynojets have a different construction from stock so they run richer than stock for the same size.  Note also that their jet needle actually has six clip positions so you can ignore the infamous white spacer.  All very well, but the Dynojet includes such superfluous stuff as a drill and a screw for the brass plug over the idle mixture screw and costs LOTS.  
So for anyone contemplating this mod: If you're not comfortable with your own skills or the advice you might get on this forum then go for the DynoJet kit - it will walk you through every step and you'll be happy.  After you are done you'll wonder why you spent so much cash.  If you can handle some minor mechanical thought and work then buy three or four main jets from the stealer and play with the spacer thickness.  And don't be shy about asking for help - there are some very knowledgeable dudes here who are just dying to help you.
Alright, I'm done.  M.

Life is a journey - don't wait for the stops; enjoy the travelling.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #49 - 10/24/04 at 19:05:07

Yup. I initially bought the kit about a month ago because I assumed it would have everything I'd need.  I am just learning about this bike.  I'm competent with tools, I understand the basics of an internal combustion engine and I am good with electrical systems.  However, I've never done any major work on a bike before... just stuff like oil changes, chain adjustments, etc. (and the last bike I had was over 15 years ago).  Any engine work I'd done in the past was cage 8-cylinders - 283's, 350's, etc. and that was in the 70's.  While I'm not afraid of doing my own wrenching (looking forward to it, in fact), I am still quite ignorant (the difference between ignorance and stupidity being that ignorance is correctable) and learning a lot.  I just wanted to let folks know where I am coming from.  I am nowhere near "well versed" or "knowledgeable"... just enjoying my bike and gaining from others' experience here.

Thanks to all of you.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Jardine again.....
Reply #50 - 10/25/04 at 02:47:44

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Any other mods to the spouses bike like a K&N or does she just have the Supertrapp?  I'm open to using someone elses similar setup as a 'starting point'.  Hopefully when I do the valve clearance check at 600 miles...

Nope.  Aside from those hers is stock.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #51 - 10/25/04 at 03:02:07

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Well, I've been surfing this site since July and have read several topics, that's true.  I did not take particular note of which specific ranges of jets were mentioned nor by whom.  I can, however, assure you the Dynojet kit I have does indeed have a 146 main included in it (along with several others starting with a 138, I believe). I used the 146 today.  There was a stock Mikuni 145 in the carb to begin with and it did concern me that the largest in the kit was a 146 but from reading another post just today, it seems the Dynojet jets are different from the Minkuni jets.  In any case, it seems to be running pretty well though I do intend to get a handful of the Mikuni mains to play with because I think it's still a bit lean.  I also have a K&N direct replacement for the stock filter.  While I was in it I replaced the needle with the new Dynojet version and replaced all of the stock screws with stainless hex-head versions to make it easier to get to next time.

Also, I was unaware that any baffling existed on the Raaske since everyone always refers to it as a straight pipe.  I've never seen one in person.  Your note that it does contain baffles make me wonder if the MAC may not then be very similar in function, but as a slip-on rather than a full pipe.

Oops.  Maybe I missed the part that you had gotten a Dynojet kit.  I thought that you were talking Mikuni jets.  My mistake.

In form and function you might say the Raask and Mac are similar.  Yes, it is a straight pipe but with a sound absorbing baffle tube in the last half.  It is available with an additional removable baffle (that stays removed on mine).

The big difference is the ID of the pipe.  Both the stock header and the Raask are double walled, as you know, but the difference is the ID of the inner wall at the exhaust port outlet.  The Raask is 1/4" larger in ID throught the header and then the baffle tube is also the same ID at the outlet.  So from this respect, the Raask is different and also freer flowing.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #52 - 10/25/04 at 07:15:08

Quote:
Maybe I missed the part that you had gotten a Dynojet kit.  I thought that you were talking Mikuni jets.

You didn't miss it.  I never mentioned it.  Until yesterday, I didn't know it was relevant to the discussion.  I knew I'd seen larger jets mentioned but also saw that my kit only went as high as the 146.  To be honest, I figured Dynojet was keeping within a specific range in that kit and probably offered larger jets separately.  I'd already determined I spent too much on that kit (for what it provides), chalked it up to a learning curve and decided to just grab several Mikuni jets from the dealer instead of checking for larger ones at Dynojet.  However, it feels fairly close now.  I think I may also play with the adjustments on the needle over the next few weeks just to have a first-hand feel for how it affects things.  When the option is available, there's just nothing like seeing/hearing/feeling it for myself.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #53 - 10/25/04 at 07:30:02

You didn't miss it.  I never mentioned it.  Until yesterday, I didn't know it was relevant to the discussion.  

Ah ha!  So you were withholding relevant information!  That's no fair.

Besides, just consider the consequences of a newbie joining this forum and hearing about a 146 main jet.  He'd look like a real idiot going to the dealer and asking for one  Roll Eyes  He'd never believe anything that he heard on SuzukiSavage.com after that too.  He might even go to one of the other forums and bad mouth us for not giving accurate information....it could be a disaster  Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #54 - 10/25/04 at 09:27:32

Like I said, until yesterday I didn't know there was any difference between the jets offered by Dynojet and those offered by Mikuni.  In some ways, I am that n00b reading this forum... hopefully less so each day though.  Heck, if I wasn't such a n00b, I wouldn't have bought the kit from Dynojet in the first place.  In my defense though, I ordered the kit over two months ago and then decided not to bother with it until I replaced the muffler.  Since I put the MAC on this past weekend, I broke out the kit.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #55 - 10/25/04 at 11:26:06

Like I said, until yesterday I didn't know there was any difference between the jets offered by Dynojet and those offered by Mikuni.  In some ways, I am that n00b reading this forum... hopefully less so each day though.  Heck, if I wasn't such a n00b, I wouldn't have bought the kit from Dynojet in the first place.  In my defense though, I ordered the kit over two months ago and then decided not to bother with it until I replaced the muffler.  Since I put the MAC on this past weekend, I broke out the kit.

Hey, it is all good.  I've heard of these kits and others have had them installed by a dealer.  That ended with no knowledge to share, because they couldn't say what was used or how.  You have the kit, and we can all learn something now.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 10/25/04 at 18:07:08

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

Lot's of aftermarket pipe places sell different length and size heatshields.

Except that a Raask is one piece with a larger ID throughout than the stock header pipe....also needs only one rear bolt to mount

Got a picture?  Are you kidding?

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/215/215131/folders/156326/1257119P...

Holy crap! nope.... that ain't nuttin like this MAC at all....

thanks Greg.

Loud ain't it Rob? But its growing on me!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #57 - 10/26/04 at 02:50:05

Growing on you?  Yes, in deedie it do.

I had the Trapp for 2 years while my spouse stayed stock.  She'd constantly tell me that mine was too loud, or ask that she lead, so she wouldn't have to listen to it.  She said she liked hers quiet.

Then one day after I installed the Raask (as the Trapp lay forlorn and forgotten in the box) she says that she wants to try the Trapp (I was going to sell it).  She took the time to polish off the blue and we installed it.  Now you couldn't talk her out of it for anything.

Incidentally, I blued the Trapp while experimenting with jets and when I got them right, I never polished off the blue.  When we put it on hers, I changed the jets at the same time....the blue never came back.  That was over a year ago.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #58 - 10/26/04 at 02:55:55

Oh yeah....

Personally, I like the looks and appearance of the Raask better than any other pipe.  I like the simple construction and clean lines.  

However, I think that the megaphone sound of the Trapp is nicer and more mellow.  It really produces a nice "Thump" sound.

The Raask is looks and performance, but the Trapp does sound great.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #59 - 10/26/04 at 03:01:06

Okay (one more thing)...

Which one of you guys is gonna make a sound clip of the Mac?  I made the other 3 and need to complete the collection  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 16:17:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine again..... (now MAC)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.